Why is there a Fitzroy board?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah I really am wondering why

Fitzroy Football Club are a foundation member of the VFL-AFL, have one hundred years of history in the VFL-AFL competition, have eight premierships and still exist in their own right in Victoria.

University also still exist in their own right in Victoria, but only had six years in the VFL-AFL competition. And that was 101 years ago. They also have no current representation in the AFL. Hence no individual board.

The Brisbane Lions are the same club as the Brisbane Bears. All that happened in 1996 is the Brisbane Bears rebranded themselves as the Brisbane Lions, gained priority access to eight players from Fitzroy's 1996 list and received $6 million from the AFL as a result. They do represent the Fitzroy identity in the AFL, but they are not the Fitzroy Football Club. The club formerly known as the Bears already have their own board.

Fitzroy Football Club didn't cease to exist, when it exited the AFL competition. The Club only lost its licence to compete in the AFL competition in 1996. The Club sponsored the Coburg Lions in the VFL for two years in 1999-2000 as its naming and jumper sponsor and then the University Reds from 2001-2008, (who changed their name to the Fitzroy Reds), before Fitzroy entered the VAFA in its own right in 2009. From there the club has risen through the ranks from D-Grade to B-Grade.

For the above reasons, Fitzroy have their own board.

Any other questions?

Last edited:
I think the main question is not why the club has its own board....but why it is in the AFL section and not another relevant board.

As you say Roylion, Fitzroy aren't in the AFL, so it is understandable some people wonder why it is here.

I think the main question is not why the club has its own board....but why it is in the AFL section and not another relevant board.

As you say Roylion, Fitzroy aren't in the AFL, so it is understandable some people wonder why it is here.

The still existing Fitzroy Football Club are a foundation member of the VFL-AFL, have one hundred years of history in the VFL-AFL competition, have eight premierships....

Fitzroy still has an impact on the modern AFL game. Former Royboys Ross Lyon, Ken Hinkley and Paul Roos are AFL coaches. Ken Hinkley started witb both at Fitzroy in the mid '80s. The club has also spawned three contemporary club chief executives - Gary Pert (Collingwood), Keith Thomas (Port Adelaide) and Carl Dilena (North). Michael Nettlefold(former CEO of St Kilda) was also a Roybot.

Matt Rendell is an ex-assistant coach and prominent recruiter, discarded by Adelaide and now at Collingwood. Scott Clayton (Gold Coast) is likewise a leader in the recruiting/list management trade. John Blakey is a senior assistant coach at Sydney, while Mick Conlan, is the chief executive of AFL Queensland. Alastair Lynch is a prominent Foxtel commentator.

Leon Harris heads up country division of development for the AFL, David Noble is head of football for the Adelaide Crows, Matthew Armstrong is the high performance manager of AFL Tasmania. Alan McConnell, (who didn't play but was twice a caretaker coach), is an assistant coach at Greater Western Sydney. Ross Thornton is a director at the Brisbane Lions, only the second Fitzroy player to serve in that role at the club.

Yes, we know and agree on the contributions that Fitzroy have made ......but the Fitzroy football club are not in the AFL, so back to the question of why they have a board in the AFL section....that is all, nothing more, nothing less.

Because.

Yes, we know and agree on the contributions that Fitzroy have made ......but the Fitzroy football club are not in the AFL, so back to the question of why they have a board in the AFL section....that is all, nothing more, nothing less.

I've explained why Fitzroy out of every non-AFL club in the land is a special case for inclusion in the AFL section.

The bottom line is that the moderators have also deemed it to be so. For reasons already explained above.

The still existing Fitzroy Football Club are a foundation member of the VFL-AFL, have one hundred years of history in the VFL-AFL competition, have eight premierships....

Fitzroy still has an impact on the modern AFL game. Former Royboys Ross Lyon, Ken Hinkley and Paul Roos are AFL coaches. Ken Hinkley started witb both at Fitzroy in the mid '80s. The club has also spawned three contemporary club chief executives - Gary Pert (Collingwood), Keith Thomas (Port Adelaide) and Carl Dilena (North). Michael Nettlefold(former CEO of St Kilda) was also a Roybot.

Matt Rendell is an ex-assistant coach and prominent recruiter, discarded by Adelaide and now at Collingwood. Scott Clayton (Gold Coast) is likewise a leader in the recruiting/list management trade. John Blakey is a senior assistant coach at Sydney, while Mick Conlan, is the chief executive of AFL Queensland. Alastair Lynch is a prominent Foxtel commentator.

Leon Harris heads up country division of development for the AFL, David Noble is head of football for the Adelaide Crows, Matthew Armstrong is the high performance manager of AFL Tasmania. Alan McConnell, (who didn't play but was twice a caretaker coach), is an assistant coach at Greater Western Sydney. Ross Thornton is a director at the Brisbane Lions, only the second Fitzroy player to serve in that role at the club.
Your argument is valid. However, Keith Thomas came from my SANFL side Norwood for not many games I would imagine at Fitroy. His chops were pretty much gathered in administering for FM radio in Adelaide. Now he's doing great things at his traditional enemy. He even did one of the most courageous things against the club he is administering when he played against them in a GF that we won many moons ago. The link is valid, the work experience not so much. By the way, I like the Roy's in the SFA.:)

Your argument is valid. However, Keith Thomas came from my SANFL side Norwood for not many games I would imagine at Fitroy. His chops were pretty much gathered in administering for FM radio in Adelaide. Now he's doing great things at his traditional enemy. He even did one of the most courageous things against the club he is administering when he played against them in a GF that we won many moons ago. The link is valid, the work experience not so much. By the way, I like the Roy's in the SFA.:)
Youd be more than welcome in S20.

what if Fitzroy did end up staying in Melbourne but was called (after the merger with the Bears) the Fitzroy Bears.
Wouldn't happen. Melbourne had 11 teams at that point. They wanted to shrink that amount.

I've only read the last four pages of this thread as I think the arguments put forward would be the same arguments stated in the first 47 pages. The Fitzroy board is there, accept it.

I can understand Fitzroy supporters dismay at the demise of it's AFL identity. If they could have held on for another five years they would probably be playing out of Docklands, training at Brunswick Oval and not roaming for a location. It isn't inconceivable had Fitzroy remained in the AFL they may have grown in a similar fashion as Hawthorn and Richmond. Interesting that after 1996, the rest of Melbourne's (not including Geelong) suburban grounds closed and the remaining teams all played home games in the city in stadiums with superior facilities, stadium management and public access.

Fitzroy's playing future I think is gaining entry to the VFL. They have over 130 years of history and could be the 16th team thus preventing an odd number of teams in that competition. There it can gain new supporters joining old 'Roy members to cheer against Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong and Footscray.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can understand Fitzroy supporters dismay at the demise of it's AFL identity. If they could have held on for another five years they would probably be playing out of Docklands, training at Brunswick Oval and not roaming for a location.

Yep. And that would have made a huge difference. Fitzroy supporters hated travelling to the Western Oval, but the Club had no choice but to move there. The plan by Fitzroy to return to the Brunswick Street Oval to use as a training venue had been approved by the then Fitzroy council, of $300,000 could be found to bring the venue up to standard.

Not many people realise this, but Fitzroy actually made a profit in 1993 (despite not having a formal lease with Carlton to play at Princes Park), 1994 and 1995. They would have made a profit in 1996 too.

Training at Brunswick Street, with our adminstrative HQ about 500 metres away at the Fitzroy Club Hotel and playing home games at the brand new Docklands stadium. Would have happened to, if Fitzroy has been able to find another $1 million at the end of 1995.

Fitzroy's playing future I think is gaining entry to the VFL. They have over 130 years of history and could be the 16th team thus preventing an odd number of teams in that competition. There it can gain new supporters joining old 'Roy members to cheer against Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon, Geelong and Footscray.

I just can't see it happening unless someone was to inject a huge amount of cash into the club. There's also finding a suitable ground. It's a nice romantic notion if a VFL Fitzroy were to return to the Junction Oval and train at Brunswick Street Oval, but realistically any such move is a very, very long way off.

I still don't get it if we are going to have a Fitzroy thread why don't we have the bears and university
The Brisbane Bears are covered by the Brisbane Lions Board ... as that is the Brisbane board ... who were the Bears ...

Public interest/discussion of the University team is far less extensive than is that of Fitzroy - obviously due primarily to the passage of time. However, University FC is actually given scope here at the Fitzroy board : The University Football Club thread. it started with a kind of half-troll-turned-actual-interest similar to yours, and developed into a bit of a retrospective / q&a about the Students.

Every time the Sweet FA is referred to as the SFA, a baby Mobbenfuhrer dies. :mad:

The merger was a farce.

Truth be told, I'd rather Brisbane and Fitzroy be separate entities in todays AFL over what there is now.

Even the alternative merger was better then the Brisbane Lions. Lost two identities after 1996. Sure it may be more the bears than the lions right now. But it still isn't the same.

They should have split the club rather than created GWS. I'd love to see Fitzroy and the Bears in the AFL.

Im delighted to find there's a Fitzroy board.
I grew up in their zone and played little league for them and have many friends who couldn't change their allegiences to any other side in the AFL and that is reason enough to have a board for them IMO.
Furthermore my entire family on both Dad and Mums sides were all fervent South Melbourne supporters and i wish (and wonder why they don't) have a similar board for SMFC tragics in the same boat.
I also had a team mate at Ammo level who was a star full forward for the reds before returning to us for his final years.

Always were my 2nd favorite side the 'roys and the AFL comp is poorer for their loss :(

Last edited:
Im delighted to find there's a Fitzroy board.
I grew up in their zone and played little league for them and have many friends who couldn't change their allegiences to any other side in the AFL and that is reason enough to have a board for them IMO.
Furthermore my entire family on both Dad and Mums sides were all fervent South Melbourne supporters and i wish (and wonder why they don't) have a similar board for SMFC tragics in the same boat.
I also had a team mate at Ammo level who was a star full forward for the reds before returning to us for his final years.

Always were my 2nd favorite side the 'roys and the AFL comp is poorer for their loss :(
Who was the Reds FF?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back