Review vs Adelaide Crows

northpie

All Australian
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
intruding into your threads again Bulldogs fans, after taking a look at your list post your pantsing the Pies in the NAB challenge, and been surprised at just how strong it was. What an exciting time for you guys. Without doubt the most exciting brand of football in football at the moment , yep with Port of 2013 and Geelong 2007 /8 good comparisons.
What a list of under 23's you have and great to see your loyal stars in Murphy,Boyd and Morris enjoying the ride and their newish roles in the team. Really enjoyed watching the win over Adelaide ( anyone beating the crows I enjoy) and the sheer audacity of your youngsters to take on the game at every opportunity. AFL in a good place at the moment with the attacking based styles having the wood over defense based teams .
Good luck for 2015 except when you play the Magpies

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
You guys are the'Cinderella' story of the year so far, a bit like us in 2013.
What a lot of Football tragics outside of Victoria would like to see are you guys
being accorded more high profile time slots to help and encourage sponsors.
We have grown more than a little tired of the saturation coverage gifted to the likes of
Collingwood,Richmond,Essendon et al. Keep it up this year n next and who knows the wheel may turn.
Yes those other clubs have higher membership#'s historically but what better way to reward your club
and playing style than better treatment from the TV scheduling bean counters.
Don't get disheartened if you tail off towards the end of the season cos your list is very young.
I hope you don't but it has happened to other young teams before.
More of your astute drafting and 2016/7 who knows. Enjoy your moment in the sun
YOU HAVE EARNED IT.

crows fan here - probably like you a bit, did not see the extent of your win coming. thought it'd be a tight game. the way you shut down our game and put pressure on everyone was fantastic (if not infuriating from my perspective :))

the kids you have coming through are going to be immense in a couple of years. so much upside!

good luck for the rest of the year. :thumbsu:

Bob Murphy you dead set gun! His long left foot pass under immense pressure from half back to split the Crows defensive press in the second quarter (?) seemed to completely deflate the Adelaide team. Murphy is daring, confident, skillful and a true leader. Much love Bob.

That kick was one of the best kicks I have ever seen in all my time watching footy. I had to triple take to make sure it was on his left. Seriously amazing. There's not many players that could execute that kick so perfectly.

Zgope1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That was a treat. Haven't seen my mob move like such a unit since 2009-2010. The 3rd quarter was something to behold. We were marking off opposition kicks and putting them to the sword straight away it was beautiful. Just watching us cover space on the rebound have me chills.

I normally get on this board and big up the young blokes I'm rooting for or the stories that have big ramifications like Kobys impact on our inside depth or value picks like Jong, but I have to dedicate this post to a guy I always overlook-

Oh captain, my captain.

That was the most impact I've ever seen Bob make. So many times he would run at a contested ball in defensive and leave his opposition looking foolish. He's just a marvellous player this man and his 50m left foot laser to Wood helped break their back. You can't defend that quality. Webb's interview after the game sheds light on Bobs driving of the ship. Apparently just didn't shut up all game and it was obvious from what we saw.

We're witnessing something here guys and girls and its a beautiful story

That kick was one of the best kicks I have ever seen in all my time watching footy. I had to triple take to make sure it was on his left. Seriously amazing. There's not many players that could execute that kick so perfectly.

I'm glad someone else appreciated it - I just shook my head at the audacity and the flawless execution. That kick alone was worth 20 Trent Cotchin chip-scab possessions.

Zgope1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm glad someone else appreciated it - I just shook my head at the audacity and the flawless execution. That kick alone was worth 20 Trent Cotchin chip-scab possessions.
Yes Mutt!

The theme of afl footy for me is the importance of leadership. Lists are lists with ages and skill sets but the ones that are lead by men who lead to lead are the ones going well right now. Haha.

What would it do to you as a player if your captain built his game around cheeky handballs out the back and sideways kick.

The Hawks and cats have blokes who smash in and say this is what I'll do with my body for you blokes.

The dockers have a bloke who says trust me boys, just trust me and I'll take us where we need to go.

And we have one who is the exact symbol of how we've played footy this year, daring, fearless, intelligent and with a point to prove for a club that's been whacked.

It's such a marvellous show

TMoney22

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Utah Jazz, San Jose Sharks
Stevens gets canned for his decision making but lets give him a special mention for his tackle on the members wing. That was as hard a tackle as you will see. It hurt him and the Adelaide player, you wont see many AFL players do this, maybe 1 or 2 in each team. This is the value he brings. Not the flashy stuff that everyone notices

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jesus what a ******* win. This footy we're playing at the moment is unreal and theres still so so much upside. What is our ceiling this year? I have no idea, I'm just glad I didn't write us off before the season like so many on here. So many players to talk about I don't really know where to start.

How good is Dahl going in the middle, we always seem to think he's hit his ceiling and he just takes his game to a new level. His career started by providing a heap of flair, x factor and goal scoring power, he then sort of transformed into more of a dour inside player (early last year) where he was playing good footy but his outside game took a big hit and he wasn't hitting the scoreboard. Now he's starting to put it both together I think (although please please start kicking those goals again, he would have swallowed most of the ones he's missing now, in his first year or two) and he's absolutely built for this gameplan. How much improvement does he still have in him? He's not far away from stamping himself as another genuine A grader IMO.

Jake Stringer, enough said. I'm coming around to the people that wan't him to stay forward, jesus he's a ******* machine. Get on top of his goal kicking yips and wow he's going to absolutely tear a game apart with a huge, huge bag. He was on absolute fire before he got subbed last night, imagine the damage he could have done if he'd stayed on. Very very good foil for Boyd and we can still push him into the middle when needed.

Jongs improvement is just incredible, he's still getting better every single week. I don't even see his disposal as a problem anymore and he's one of our few who nails every set shot he gets. His marking around the ground is elite, didn't know he had that in him. Thought he could make it as a role player but he's starting to show that he has a lot, lot more in him than that.

Bonts wasn't at his best but still showed his incredible ability a few times. The one thing I can fault him for this year is he's just not kicking those long goals that we know he is capable of. I reckon about twice a game he's been streaming to the 50 (usually from a ridiculously easy center clearance, seriously he just scoops the ball up and it looks like people run away from him as he just waltz through) and has one of his specialty goals on offer but just isn't hitting em as well this year. Copped a fair bit last night but he stood up to it. This kid is just something else, reckon he's not far off a 30-35 odd possession and 3+ goal game.

Macrae is just so dependable, played a bit of a different role at times tonight and did it well. Just so so smart.

Talia will be an elite KPD, absolutely smashed Walker one of the inform big men of the comp. Blanketed him then even got the ball going the other way and was involved in numerous link up chains where he did really really well. Gun.

Also thought Rough was great and can't believe people are taking away from that game that he's not a KPD. He was terrific I thought, couldn't tell you how many intercept marks he had but it was s**t loads.

JJ was great, don't even get me started on Murph, what a ******* champion he just keeps getting better and better. Picken, Boyd, Wood the list just goes on and on, Nearly everyone played an above average game which is pretty rare. Stevens played like how I expected him to play this year, theres still a spot there for him he gets a rough deal on here. Smith back is just great to see, he will be better for the run.

Thought Grant was good too, he's playing his role at the moment and his speed and pressure is so important at the moment. Thats what we wanted from him and now that he's doing it consistently the offensive stuff will start to come I reckon. He absolutely keeps his spot for the time being for mine. Was very very disappointed he missed that soda and he needs to take his chances in front of goal but I'm starting to believe he can become a bit of a weapon. When Dale and the other kids start really really knocking the door down well maybe he might get pushed out but he's still got another level or two in him I reckon and as long as that defensive work stays then he's still in for mine.

Even Cordy played really really well around the ground. Showed more than I've ever given him credit for with his work on the bottom of the packs and in general play. But you cannot be in the team as a first ruckman if your tapwork is that bad. I'm sorry and I don't want to be negative but thered be no ruckman in the league who wouldn't smash him in the center on exposed form. If he can work very very hard on that he maybe has a future and sure it didn't matter too much last night but you can't give away that sort of advantage every week. Not a chance.

The only thing I can fault this team for is we still don't capitalize on our opportunities inside 50 enough (yesterday we did through sheer numbers) but one positive thing here is that this batch of kids we've just brought in. They are all natural goal kickers, the types who see a chance to score and take it. As we start filtering those types into the team a bit more we will see some big improvement there.

I know people will say that the smaller forward line worked well and we don't need a 2nd KPP there for the sake of it if they're no good. And it did work extremely well, but... Adelaide don't have a good 2nd KPD. Its pretty much Talia and thats it. Boyd took Talia, and competed really really well which let Stringer play on a much weaker opponent and absolutely dominate. Which was great, but most teams we will come across will have a much much better 2nd defender that will be able to hold Stringer a little better. Thats why we still need to consider bringing a Redpath or someone back in who will take that 2nd defender by default and let Stringer and Crammers wreak havoc.

Wow what a win.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Glory
I wonder what Libba's thinking watching this. Must be chomping at the bit. Next year can't come soon enough for him.
I wonder if he's thinking about a september return?

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I wonder what Libba's thinking watching this. Must be chomping at the bit. Next year can't come soon enough for him.
Poor bloke, one of the few consistently willing us over the line for the past 3 years. Putting absolutely everything into it, and now when he'd be starting to get a bit of reward for it he's sitting on the sidelines :( Footy is very, very cruel. How well is he going to fit into this team though, absolutely made for the gameplan considering he will give us first use of the ball more often, his handballing is ridiculous and will get us into space and moving forward so much more often now that people aren't afraid to run and spread forward of the ball, and he's an absolute crazy man when it comes to tackling and pressuring. Built for it.

Doggy Dan

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jesus what a ******* win. This footy we're playing at the moment is unreal and theres still so so much upside. What is our ceiling this year? I have no idea, I'm just glad I didn't write us off before the season like so many on here. So many players to talk about I don't really know where to start.

How good is Dahl going in the middle, we always seem to think he's hit his ceiling and he just takes his game to a new level. His career started by providing a heap of flair, x factor and goal scoring power, he then sort of transformed into more of a dour inside player (early last year) where he was playing good footy but his outside game took a big hit and he wasn't hitting the scoreboard. Now he's starting to put it both together I think (although please please start kicking those goals again, he would have swallowed most of the ones he's missing now, in his first year or two) and he's absolutely built for this gameplan. How much improvement does he still have in him? He's not far away from stamping himself as another genuine A grader IMO.

Jake Stringer, enough said. I'm coming around to the people that wan't him to stay forward, jesus he's a ******* machine. Get on top of his goal kicking yips and wow he's going to absolutely tear a game apart with a huge, huge bag. He was on absolute fire before he got subbed last night, imagine the damage he could have done if he'd stayed on. Very very good foil for Boyd and we can still push him into the middle when needed.

Jongs improvement is just incredible, he's still getting better every single week. I don't even see his disposal as a problem anymore and he's one of our few who nails every set shot he gets. His marking around the ground is elite, didn't know he had that in him. Thought he could make it as a role player but he's starting to show that he has a lot, lot more in him than that.

Bonts wasn't at his best but still showed his incredible ability a few times. The one thing I can fault him for this year is he's just not kicking those long goals that we know he is capable of. I reckon about twice a game he's been streaming to the 50 (usually from a ridiculously easy center clearance, seriously he just scoops the ball up and it looks like people run away from him as he just waltz through) and has one of his specialty goals on offer but just isn't hitting em as well this year. Copped a fair bit last night but he stood up to it. This kid is just something else, reckon he's not far off a 30-35 odd possession and 3+ goal game.

Macrae is just so dependable, played a bit of a different role at times tonight and did it well. Just so so smart.

Talia will be an elite KPD, absolutely smashed Walker one of the inform big men of the comp. Blanketed him then even got the ball going the other way and was involved in numerous link up chains where he did really really well. Gun.

Also thought Rough was great and can't believe people are taking away from that game that he's not a KPD. He was terrific I thought, couldn't tell you how many intercept marks he had but it was s**t loads.

JJ was great, don't even get me started on Murph, what a ******* champion he just keeps getting better and better. Picken, Boyd, Wood the list just goes on and on, Nearly everyone played an above average game which is pretty rare. Stevens played like how I expected him to play this year, theres still a spot there for him he gets a rough deal on here. Smith back is just great to see, he will be better for the run.

Thought Grant was good too, he's playing his role at the moment and his speed and pressure is so important at the moment. Thats what we wanted from him and now that he's doing it consistently the offensive stuff will start to come I reckon. He absolutely keeps his spot for the time being for mine. Was very very disappointed he missed that soda and he needs to take his chances in front of goal but I'm starting to believe he can become a bit of a weapon. When Dale and the other kids start really really knocking the door down well maybe he might get pushed out but he's still got another level or two in him I reckon and as long as that defensive work stays then he's still in for mine.

Even Cordy played really really well around the ground. Showed more than I've ever given him credit for with his work on the bottom of the packs and in general play. But you cannot be in the team as a first ruckman if your tapwork is that bad. I'm sorry and I don't want to be negative but thered be no ruckman in the league who wouldn't smash him in the center on exposed form. If he can work very very hard on that he maybe has a future and sure it didn't matter too much last night but you can't give away that sort of advantage every week. Not a chance.

The only thing I can fault this team for is we still don't capitalize on our opportunities inside 50 enough (yesterday we did through sheer numbers) but one positive thing here is that this batch of kids we've just brought in. They are all natural goal kickers, the types who see a chance to score and take it. As we start filtering those types into the team a bit more we will see some big improvement there.

I know people will say that the smaller forward line worked well and we don't need a 2nd KPP there for the sake of it if they're no good. And it did work extremely well, but... Adelaide don't have a good 2nd KPD. Its pretty much Talia and thats it. Boyd took Talia, and competed really really well which let Stringer play on a much weaker opponent and absolutely dominate. Which was great, but most teams we will come across will have a much much better 2nd defender that will be able to hold Stringer a little better. Thats why we still need to consider bringing a Redpath or someone back in who will take that 2nd defender by default and let Stringer and Crammers wreak havoc.

Wow what a win.

That was a really really good post DFTW;)

DexterTan

Club Legend
May 11, 2007
Springfield, USA
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns, Charlotte Bobcats
That was a treat. Haven't seen my mob move like such a unit since 2009-2010. The 3rd quarter was something to behold. We were marking off opposition kicks and putting them to the sword straight away it was beautiful. Just watching us cover space on the rebound have me chills.

I normally get on this board and big up the young blokes I'm rooting for or the stories that have big ramifications like Kobys impact on our inside depth or value picks like Jong, but I have to dedicate this post to a guy I always overlook-

Oh captain, my captain.

That was the most impact I've ever seen Bob make. So many times he would run at a contested ball in defensive and leave his opposition looking foolish. He's just a marvellous player this man and his 50m left foot laser to Wood helped break their back. You can't defend that quality. Webb's interview after the game sheds light on Bobs driving of the ship. Apparently just didn't shut up all game and it was obvious from what we saw.

We're witnessing something here guys and girls and its a beautiful story

What interview? I must have missed it. Is it on the Doggies site?

Zgope1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Another thing I lived was Bevo's coy and indirect suggestion that stringer is like Ablett senior. If you Listen to his answer that's the only player he can be referring to

To the 15,000 Doggies supporters there, awesome effort! The noise was awesome! Especially when Stringy dog was on fire in the third!

Is that why my voice is a bit croaky. It really helps having some exhilarating footy to get us pumped up after the dour stuff we've watched the last few years.

Back