GFL Season 2016

s3502244

Draftee
Mar 24, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
ok well jay bett and luke forbes are 2 that spring to mind obviously handy players. also if you watched who did hinkley play on? im surprised he didnt play on wells?

my tips this week

Joeys to beat grovey unfortunately by 2 goals
leopold to beat newtown by 4 goals
bell park to beat colac by 7 or 8 goals, colac too many guns out
south barwon by 3 goals over west (these 2 sides always seem to be closer then expected)
St Albans by 15 goals over Lara
St Marys by 6 goals over north shore
Was not at the game, but I think that Luke Kermond played on Wells. I think Hinkley played a little further up the ground.

boogeyman48

Rookie
Apr 15, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Luke Forbes, Jay Bett, Matthew Higgins (played 2s), Jordan Crerar (played 2s), Dan O'Keefe, Joel Corey just to name a few.
Higgins and Crerar didn't get selected and haven't played that much snr footy, and they're not injured. I don't count that "certain outs". and corey is an assistant now, will he play at all? can you name the other 4 or 5?

GullsFC

Team Captain
Jan 18, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Higgins and Crerar didn't get selected and haven't played that much snr footy, and they're not injured. I don't count that "certain outs". and corey is an assistant now, will he play at all? can you name the other 4 or 5?
As far as I'm aware Joel will still be playing when he can. I never mentioned how many were out, merely just quoting some names that's all.

vampire

Senior List
Sep 27, 2009
Grovedale
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Grovedale

they don't want to name names because obviously aren't that many out its just an excuse for losing by the sounds of it, but i do understand forbes and bett are big outs and danny o'keefe, whilst being on the swans afl list hasn't proved a hell of alot at gfl level because his body hasn't allowed him, Joel Corey can't be included as he probably wont even qualify

falsenine

Debutant
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I also think it is worth noting Trompf and how he goes about his footy. He is a blight on the GFL. I will refer you back to this post in the future when he gets a life ban.
I see this bloke got 4 weeks for rough conduct on Herbison. You don't see too many big suspensions like that in local footy, what did he actually do?

saywhat1

Draftee
Apr 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I see this bloke got 4 weeks for rough conduct on Herbison. You don't see too many big suspensions like that in local footy, what did he actually do?
i was at the game for the first half, I did see the incident and although on the other side of the ground I didn't think there was that much in it. he made side on contact after the ball was kicked. given the newtown player also received stitches I would have thought it was more accidental contact. 4 weeks seems overboard for mine. imo the tribunal happily dishes out weeks which I think is too harsh at times.

kermond started on wells which I think was a poor coaching decision. wells is the key to south up front, and him kicking 4 (probably should of had 5) in the first qtr was very damaging. stop wells up front and you go along way to beating sth.

as for newtown players missing, agree with bett, forbes and okeefe being in the best side when fit, I question some of the other guys though, crerar would be a fringe player who probably doesn't get a game if bett, forbes and okeefe all play anyway. corey is unknown and after that I question who else there is. for newtown's sake i hope there is more available because in the second half it appears sth made light work of them. be interesting to see how they go against leopold who will want to play better after losing by a big margin at newtown last year.

vampire

Senior List
Sep 27, 2009
Grovedale
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Grovedale
i was at the game for the first half, I did see the incident and although on the other side of the ground I didn't think there was that much in it. he made side on contact after the ball was kicked. given the newtown player also received stitches I would have thought it was more accidental contact. 4 weeks seems overboard for mine. imo the tribunal happily dishes out weeks which I think is too harsh at times.

kermond started on wells which I think was a poor coaching decision. wells is the key to south up front, and him kicking 4 (probably should of had 5) in the first qtr was very damaging. stop wells up front and you go along way to beating sth.

as for newtown players missing, agree with bett, forbes and okeefe being in the best side when fit, I question some of the other guys though, crerar would be a fringe player who probably doesn't get a game if bett, forbes and okeefe all play anyway. corey is unknown and after that I question who else there is. for newtown's sake i hope there is more available because in the second half it appears sth made light work of them. be interesting to see how they go against leopold who will want to play better after losing by a big margin at newtown last year.

Agree especially Hinkley being the big recruit that stopped fevola in an interleague match that is strange that he wouldn't go to the main man, maybe wojo thought he is too old and done, mind you kermond played on much bigger opponents all last year and did well

BOND247

Draftee
Apr 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
He is a blight on the GFL. I will refer you back to this post in the future when he gets a life ban.[/QUOTE]

Looks like that life ban isn't too far away after all.
Lets see, 16 weeks of suspensions will qualify you for the great honour of a life ban.
Trompf is currently sitting on 12 weeks accumulated. If we use his latest 4 week holiday as a guide then in 5 weeks Peter Trompf will no longer be participating in football games anywhere ever again. And not a minute to soon either. Disgraceful conduct and lucky to only receive weeks for the one incident at South Barwon as he was involved in many as I previously stated.

footyman13

Club Legend
Apr 8, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Portarlington
He is a blight on the GFL. I will refer you back to this post in the future when he gets a life ban.

Looks like that life ban isn't too far away after all.
Lets see, 16 weeks of suspensions will qualify you for the great honour of a life ban.
Trompf is currently sitting on 12 weeks accumulated. If we use his latest 4 week holiday as a guide then in 5 weeks Peter Trompf will no longer be participating in football games anywhere ever again. And not a minute to soon either. Disgraceful conduct and lucky to only receive weeks for the one incident at South Barwon as he was involved in many as I previously stated.[/QUOTE]
Was there no due diligence done before NC recruited this Muppet? Surely they looked at his history, I found his tribunal history in Qld in about 1 minute without trying.

footyman13

Club Legend
Apr 8, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Portarlington
Interesting the Jordan Duncan story. Contracted SB player training at SM, if he does a knee (wouldn't wish it on him) training at SM, where does he stand, and where do the 2 clubs stand?

Hotofthepress

Rookie
Mar 16, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton
Clinical display by Leopold yesterday against Newtown winning by 9 goals. Another classic example of a team prepared to work for each other in Leopold against a team like Newtown who appear disjointed and lacking any form of unity.No doubt a few home truths were spoken during the 45 minutes that Wojo had with the team behind closed doors post game#crossroads

falsenine

Debutant
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Interesting the Jordan Duncan story. Contracted SB player training at SM, if he does a knee (wouldn't wish it on him) training at SM, where does he stand, and where do the 2 clubs stand?
It's an unusual case this one. From what I understand South were happy to clear him back to his home club (Horsham way I think) but rejected his clearance after he changed his mind to stay in Geelong and play at SM with his mates.

South are obviously well within their rights to deny him a clearance if a contract has been signed, but I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts; would you even want a guy at your club if he had no interest in playing there?

I'm not campaigning for or against but it just seems a little ridiculous that a 21 year old kid could potentially sit out an entire season of footy over something like this. At the end of the day it's local footy for heavens sake!

Newcomer

Debutant
Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Went to the Leopold vs Newtown game - Leopold were way too good in every aspect of the football game. Newtown looked slow and not interested at all. Unsure whether Wojo has the playing group behind him

vampire

Senior List
Sep 27, 2009
Grovedale
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Grovedale
Joeys in the end deserved the win vs grovey, grovey probably should have won after getting 20 odd points in front against the wind but the joeys used the wind and Dale Carson to its advantage. Joeys will obviously be in the top 3 come season's end but my question mark is 1. No decent ruckman and 2. Unless Dale Carson plays forward they dont have a standout tall forward, they still have 4 midfielders probably at geelong vfl and with a great back 6 they might not need one but could be crucial in a big game

Newcomer

Debutant
Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Joeys in the end deserved the win vs grovey, grovey probably should have won after getting 20 odd points in front against the wind but the joeys used the wind and Dale Carson to its advantage. Joeys will obviously be in the top 3 come season's end but my question mark is 1. No decent ruckman and 2. Unless Dale Carson plays forward they dont have a standout tall forward, they still have 4 midfielders probably at geelong vfl and with a great back 6 they might not need one but could be crucial in a big game

I am pretty sure Lach Howe will be back for them fairly soon (ruckman). He was super impressive on ANZAC day. Did his knee in finals last year. They also have Cam Tudor at VFL who is a tall that can play anywhere

Gus Poyet

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 1, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Brighton & HA, Boston Celtics
Went to the SB/West game.

West's big problem is themselves a lot of the time. If they made less unforced errors and were more clinical with their chances they would be a far more competitive outfit against some of the better sides.

Still some promising signs going forward.

Brad Cox-Goodyer is a very good get for the Roosters. Big bodied onballer with a booming left foot that can go rest up forward and still do some damage.

vampire

Senior List
Sep 27, 2009
Grovedale
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Grovedale
I am pretty sure Lach Howe will be back for them fairly soon (ruckman). He was super impressive on ANZAC day. Did his knee in finals last year. They also have Cam Tudor at VFL who is a tall that can play anywhere

If them two play they will be hard to beat but Cam Tudor seems pretty comfortable in the vfl side and Lachie Howe is highly rated at Collingwood. Joeys will be hoping to get them back i think

GoodFeller

Draftee
Feb 4, 2015
Mentone
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sandringham Sabres
It's an unusual case this one. From what I understand South were happy to clear him back to his home club (Horsham way I think) but rejected his clearance after he changed his mind to stay in Geelong and play at SM with his mates.

South are obviously well within their rights to deny him a clearance if a contract has been signed, but I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts; would you even want a guy at your club if he had no interest in playing there?

I'm not campaigning for or against but it just seems a little ridiculous that a 21 year old kid could potentially sit out an entire season of footy over something like this. At the end of the day it's local footy for heavens sake!

But you have to force him to sit out, otherwise you're basically just saying contracts mean nothing. Why should clubs be held to them if the players aren't forced to play them out?

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
These issues are becoming a bigger and bigger in local footy, not sure why clubs sign players to more than a 1 year deal unless there is a massive sign on where you want to ensure you are getting value for it. The big sign on fees are becoming the main problem, it encourages the mercenary attitude of a lot of the players who will jump clubs as soon as there contract ends just to get another sign on.

Newcomer

Debutant
Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Looking forward to ANZAC day game. Looks like South have improved from last year and they will have a pretty decent side in. Still think Joeys might be too strong.
Joeys by 4 goals

boogeyman48

Rookie
Apr 15, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
wandered down to joeys home ground to watch anzac day and was very impressed by what i saw from st josephs. Yeah they had a lot of VFL players in but played as a tight team and were too tough as well as classy. south apparently very chirpy and didnt like getting beaten up

joeys look good but still think grovedale and newtown have another level to go. dont rate marys

Newcomer

Debutant
Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
wandered down to joeys home ground to watch anzac day and was very impressed by what i saw from st josephs. Yeah they had a lot of VFL players in but played as a tight team and were too tough as well as classy. south apparently very chirpy and didnt like getting beaten up

joeys look good but still think grovedale and newtown have another level to go. dont rate marys

And what are you basing the Newtown level on?? Hopefully they do go another level and be competitive!!!! Leopold are still the best side in it but joeys are closing the gap

boogeyman48

Rookie
Apr 15, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
And what are you basing the Newtown level on?? Hopefully they do go another level and be competitive!!!! Leopold are still the best side in it but joeys are closing the gap
ha! how could i forget Leopold? Obviously they are the favourites, but you are right based on current results Joeys are quickly closing the gap. Just think newtown have too many good players to miss the finals. Reality is i think is a very even top 3 of Leopold Joeys and Grovedale.

vampire

Senior List
Sep 27, 2009
Grovedale
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Grovedale
ha! how could i forget Leopold? Obviously they are the favourites, but you are right based on current results Joeys are quickly closing the gap. Just think newtown have too many good players to miss the finals. Reality is i think is a very even top 3 of Leopold Joeys and Grovedale.

Don't count Bell Park out i think they will finish top 3, they have a very strong side when everybody is playing.

Back