news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

After seeing the gif I'd agree with Quivorir. It's a slip but with a lot of involvement from Rockhold. It's not what you'd generally think of when you hear 'slip' as it's basically an accidental trip by Rockhold. Tripping Machida wasn't his intention as he was getting off to the side to counter with the right hook. He would have been focused on avoiding the punch and countering rather than getting his leg in a position to trip Machida.

I said it seemed like the UFC legal team stuffed up but it looks like they knew something everyone else didn't. Luke Thomas said he talked to a bunch of attorneys that thought the injunction was 100% the correct decision. It was reported that Rampage had fights left on his contract and that he didn't get out of his contract correctly.

I read something that mentioned it's not over and that if Bellator were to eventually win in court, then the UFC's decision to have Rampage fight could be costly.

The fight could be quite fun. Maldonado's fights are at times fun but sloppy encounters. The fact that it's been changed to a 215 pound catchweight has me worried. That indicates to me that Rampage gave up on this fight occurring and won't be in the best of shape (even at the best of times this is an issue).

UFC 186 won't do well in terms of PPV numbers. It doesn't have much in terms of name value, but there are quite a lot of fights that look like they could be entertaining. The prelims are actually pretty good.

I find it pretty funny that in 2015 it seems that the likes of Bonnar, Ortiz and Rampage draw more eyeballs than Mighty Mouse. I don't get it. I was listening to something and I thought they made a good point. The UFC knows how to sell fighters really well to the audience if they're easy to sell but if they're not, they have no idea. They capitalise on Rousey, McGregor, Sonnen and even to a lesser extent VanZant easily. Guys like Barao, Mighty Mouse & Aldo are really tough for them. Barao was doing really well and all they could come up with was some bogus claim that he was P4P #1. Really for a while there every champion's fight was being billed as the P4P #1 fighting.

Two Strawweight fights to start the card and two good fights. The division is very exciting.

UFC 186 was pretty good. Outside of Rampage/Maldonado, they were all pretty entertaining fights I thought.

The boos in the main event were 'just bleed' fan response 101. The fight wasn't the best fight ever or anything, but it was fast paced and lulls in the action were very short. Mighty Mouse is just too good and going for the finish and getting it that late was very impressive. I think Horiguchi can be one of the best at 125. He might never be good enough to beat Mighty Mouse, but if he can get some wins over top fighters he might get another shot.

Rampage looked tired about halfway through the bout and Maldonado didn't do enough to take advantage. Rampage looked pretty good except for getting tired. Maldonado was terrible. He seemed far more tentative than usual. Being a bit less aggressive against someone with the power that Rampage has makes sense but it went a bit too far. It could just be all the punishment he's taken.

CB/Bisping was really good. CB kept landing a lovely left hook. I don't think Bisping's right eye is 100%, maybe that played a part in him getting hit by it a lot. Bisping hurt CB with a nice right overhand or hook that got him just behind the ear. The difference in the end seemed to be that CB couldn't keep the pace that Bisping was going at.

Makdessi's win was very impressive. Campbell was outstriking him up until Makdessi landed something massive and from then on it was only a matter of time before the stoppage came.

Almeida's win was great, even if it was completely expected. Jabouin was someone who Almeida should have beat and someone he should have put away, and the fact that he did is a great sign. Almeida is a really good prospect and a really good, vicious striker. Look forward to seeing his next fight.

Prelims were good too. Davis beating Kaufman surprised me. First round was how I expected the fight to go with Kaufman outstriking Davis. Then in the next round Davis wound up in mount and strung a bunch of submission attempts together before getting an armbar.

Holy s**t!

vzB4maM.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Jon Jones is apparently out of 187, apparently due to some "legal" issues. Rumours still flying around but he may have had a car accident and fled the scene.

Just catching up with this now. Sounds like it's a hit and run where an older lady was taken to hospital as a result. Awful news if true.

Bones going to extreme lengths to avoid Rumble!

The UFC can't sweep this under the rug though. Any chance of Rumble vs Cormier for the belt if they strip it from Jones?

Honestly can't see the ufc vacating the belt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back