Unofficial Preview Round 5 Early Thoughts: Sydney Swans vs Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should clarify the in the traffic/under pressure comment was for the Dockers game only.

If i had to sum up any issues with lewis over the journey there are two words that spring to mind, soft and lazy
Yeah, that effort on the wing in the last (?) was shocking. I boooooooed him

I should clarify the in the traffic/under pressure comment was for the Dockers game only.

If i had to sum up any issues with lewis over the journey there are two words that spring to mind, soft and lazy

May I add two words as well.

Unaccountable. When he’s pushing off his man into space for the fast break, he’s left his man behind relying on a teammate to pick him up in the event of a quick turnover. Too often we see a spare man and scream “who’s on him!!”. Jetta is a frequent culprit.

Weak. Started the year as a wannabe tough guy grabbing a few jumpers and trying to push people around. Nowhere to be seen when the hard ball is there to be won, nor does he tackle physically enough IMO.

Looks flashy on the get and go plays and has a solid, penetrating kick but does not seem to be delivering into the F50 near as often in the early part of this season.

Averaging 16 disposals (10.2 Kicks, 5.8 handballs) per game, 1 goal and 2 tackles just is not enough return for mine.

May I add two words as well.

Unaccountable. When he’s pushing off his man into space for the fast break, he’s left his man behind relying on a teammate to pick him up in the event of a quick turnover. Too often we see a spare man and scream “who’s on him!!”. Jetta is a frequent culprit.

Weak. Started the year as a wannabe tough guy grabbing a few jumpers and trying to push people around. Nowhere to be seen when the hard ball is there to be won, nor does he tackle physically enough IMO.

Looks flashy on the get and go plays and has a solid, penetrating kick but does not seem to be delivering into the F50 near as often in the early part of this season.

Averaging 16 disposals (10.2 Kicks, 5.8 handballs) per game, 1 goal and 2 tackles just is not enough return for mine.

good summation

Dont get me wrong, when we link up with run and carry and create the overlap and look on Jetta plays a big role.

But when it comes to closing the gap between our best and worst, looking to add consistency and try to knock off the best teams, we have to be ruthless.

I am not sure that bar being a little slower Towers cannot for instance give more than Jetta.

I am not suggesting we drop Jetta I just want more from him

You have to remember Jetta is a wingman, he may float across HF or HB, but that is his position. Wingers that are hard and tough...well yeah name me one of them, does not happen. If anything I wasn't unhappy with Jetta's game, especially on replay, he was always looking for the ball to attack forward of the centre.

The biggest issue is McGlynn. I am sorry for the blokes that love him on here but frankly if he isn't a stay at home permanent forward he can be the try hard midfielder in the NEAFL. The bloke barely gets the ball, he can tackle...well yippee. Mitchell can tackle too and get the ball 30 times not 20 (at best). Not to mention a few other blokes in the reserves that are better midfielders.

You have to remember Jetta is a wingman, he may float across HF or HB, but that is his position. Wingers that are hard and tough...well yeah name me one of them, does not happen. If anything I wasn't unhappy with Jetta's game, especially on replay, he was always looking for the ball to attack forward of the centre.

The biggest issue is McGlynn. I am sorry for the blokes that love him on here but frankly if he isn't a stay at home permanent forward he can be the try hard midfielder in the NEAFL. The bloke barely gets the ball, he can tackle...well yippee. Mitchell can tackle too and get the ball 30 times not 20 (at best). Not to mention a few other blokes in the reserves that are better midfielders.

Well if we subscribe to the theory there are still set positions such as a wingman then ok Jetta is a wingman and to suggest they are all soft and unaccountable is a fallacy.

Some of the strongest leaders in the history of the game were wingman, Flower, Greig, Murphy.

Luke Hoge floats across HB and HF a lot he isnt unaccountable and soft. Jetta goes missing too often.

Mcglynn should nick off for towers

I think, at this point, Jetta's primary weapon is his disposal, not his speed. Teams don't give him the space to run, and he's not powerful enough to break away from packs.

Which is exactly why we need him. Go through our side, who are our 'good kicks'.....Heeney, Buddy, Jetta, McVeigh.....apart from that the cupboard is bare. We actually need MORE players that kick well, not less. It is why a Hewett type of mid could be worth a go. Replace McGlynn. At least when Hewett gets it, he will find a target.

Which is exactly why we need him. Go through our side, who are our 'good kicks'.....Heeney, Buddy, Jetta, McVeigh.....apart from that the cupboard is bare. We actually need MORE players that kick well, not less. It is why a Hewett type of mid could be worth a go. Replace McGlynn. At least when Hewett gets it, he will find a target.

bit pointless being a good kick if you go big chunks of the game not touching it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well if we subscribe to the theory there are still set positions such as a wingman then ok Jetta is a wingman and to suggest they are all soft and unaccountable is a fallacy.

Some of the strongest leaders in the history of the game were wingman, Flower, Greig, Murphy.

Luke Hoge floats across HB and HF a lot he isnt unaccountable and soft. Jetta goes missing too often.

Mcglynn should nick off for towers

Since when is Luke Hodge a wingman, he is a tough as nails midfield utility, there is a massive difference. Jetta as a wingman is fine, in fact I have had no issue in any game this season. The blokes you have listed are elite, it is pretty hard to expect every wingman to be the same though. Jetta is no worse than any other wingman in the comp.

McGlynn gave me the you know whats 2 weeks ago, Saturday re-confirmed it. H e wants to be a tough midfielder..pity he can't find the ball. You know who he reminds me of the very overrated Mr Tough Guy Richard Vanderberg....except even he got the ball more than McGlynn. Play him forward and he better be nowhere near the centre circle.

bit pointless being a good kick if you go big chunks of the game not touching it.

Which is why you need balance. Your outsides have to be great kicks of the ball. Look at Hawthorn's outside mids, they all are A Grade kicks. We need to go through the reserves and see which blokes can be A grade kicks. Hewett is the obvious one, but who else. Goodes possibly, but is he fit? I'm less concerned about our inside mids disposal efficiency but the outside ones keep killing us.

Since when is Luke Hodge a wingman, he is a tough as nails midfield utility, there is a massive difference. Jetta as a wingman is fine, in fact I have had no issue in any game this season. The blokes you have listed are elite, it is pretty hard to expect every wingman to be the same though. Jetta is no worse than any other wingman in the comp.

McGlynn gave me the you know whats 2 weeks ago, Saturday re-confirmed it. H e wants to be a tough midfielder..pity he can't find the ball. You know who he reminds me of the very overrated Mr Tough Guy Richard Vanderberg....except even he got the ball more than McGlynn. Play him forward and he better be nowhere near the centre circle.

You didnt say i could only list elite, I also said the wing does not "exist" as a position like it once did.

Its more about roles, Hodge often sweeps across where Jetta could. Hodge got almost 30 uncontested the other day.

Yeah he is elite, but i was illustrating people can get outside ball and not be weak as piss

Which is why you need balance. Your outsides have to be great kicks of the ball. Look at Hawthorn's outside mids, they all are A Grade kicks. We need to go through the reserves and see which blokes can be A grade kicks. Hewett is the obvious one, but who else. Goodes possibly, but is he fit? I'm less concerned about our inside mids disposal efficiency but the outside ones keep killing us.

But you just told me one of ourside Mids is playing well? but they are killing us?

But you just told me one of ourside Mids is playing well? but they are killing us?

Jetta is playing well. It is the other outside mids that couldn't hit the side or a barn, notably Hannerberry and Jack as two of the more high profile. I like Hanners, but jeez if I see him kicking I shudder. It isn't a natural thing for him. It is why we have to use these next 3 weeks to add some depth. It is clear as day McGlynn is surplus, so get rid of him and put Hewett in. At worst we have a McGlynn midfielder who can kick and that is already better.

You didnt say i could only list elite, I also said the wing does not "exist" as a position like it once did.

Its more about roles, Hodge often sweeps across where Jetta could. Hodge got almost 30 uncontested the other day.

Yeah he is elite, but i was illustrating people can get outside ball and not be weak as piss

Wingers exist when you play the big games especially on the MCG, a good winger is worth their weight in gold, look at Issac Smith from Hawthorn.

Wingers exist when you play the big games especially on the MCG, a good winger is worth their weight in gold, look at Issac Smith from Hawthorn.

Yeah look at him

Jetta is not a scratch on him

Jetta is playing well. It is the other outside mids that couldn't hit the side or a barn, notably Hannerberry and Jack as two of the more high profile. I like Hanners, but jeez if I see him kicking I shudder. It isn't a natural thing for him. It is why we have to use these next 3 weeks to add some depth. It is clear as day McGlynn is surplus, so get rid of him and put Hewett in. At worst we have a McGlynn midfielder who can kick and that is already better.

I agree on Mcglynn

either plays forward or sub

or goes out imo

Yeah look at him

Jetta is not a scratch on him

Never said he was, but that is the type of player you want Jetta to be. However, put Jetta on the end of their midfield and you have Smith basically. Jetta can kick and score goals too.

I agree on Mcglynn

either plays forward or sub

or goes out imo

I'll take the go out option please! Won't they ever think of my TV! I swear it was in danger last weekend as I saw McGlynn do nothing and when he did something he misses by dead set 10 metres!

Never said he was, but that is the type of player you want Jetta to be. However, put Jetta on the end of their midfield and you have Smith basically. Jetta can kick and score goals too.

I just want him to stop going missing for large chunks of the game thats all.

He can kick, he can run, he can goal, he can play. His two weeks prior were good

I'll take the go out option please! Won't they ever think of my TV! I swear it was in danger last weekend as I saw McGlynn do nothing and when he did something he misses by dead set 10 metres!

I have not seen enough of Hewitt though to say he should come in

id like towers v the dogs

I suspect however Mcglynn is best 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back