Review AFL Round 4, North Melbourne defeats Geelong by 16 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Same here. I would love to hear the reasons why Smedts should not have come straight back into the team. There are at least half a dozen players I would immediately drop for him right now. He's an extreme rarity for us this season in my opinion - a young player who is giving 100% and looks like he's improved (Bews is another).
Yep, I'm still pretty sure Smedts could offer more to us as a small forward, but I can't fault his effort and dedication to the task in 2015. He's much, much cleaner with the ball than Murdoch too.

Seeing Bews and Thurlow flourishing back there, throw Smedts in too (if we can't have him forward) and the backline looks a lot more dynamic than it does with Enright (whom I love), Kelly and say, Duncan. It's not premiership grade yet but it's something to work with.

Yep, I'm still pretty sure Smedts could offer more to us as a small forward, but I can't fault his effort and dedication to the task in 2015. He's much, much cleaner with the ball than Murdoch too.

Seeing Bews and Thurlow flourishing back there, throw Smedts in too (if we can't have him forward) and the backline looks a lot more dynamic than it does with Enright (whom I love), Kelly and say, Duncan. It's not premiership grade yet but it's something to work with.
I would bring him in the place of Cockatoo/ Lang this wk as a forward.

After four games this season, I think it's fair to start doing an assessment of where players are at compared to last season, and in my book the comparisons aren't looking good.

1. Young players that have improved from last season:
Bews - impressive improvement, starting to look like he's a lock in our defence
Lang - still a long way to go but the seniors experience is doing him good
Blicavs - still not sure where his best position is, but always trying
Thurlow - based on limited games, but looks composed and skilled
Walker - best when Hawkins was out, so need to find out how he'll work with both Hawkins and Clark in the forward line

2. Young players that should have improved from last season but haven't:
Motlop - after a stand-out year in 2013, he was limited by injuries last year. But he is playing terribly this year, poor decision-making, going for flashy low percentage moves, no defensive work. Is not the game-changing player he should be.
Duncan - was looking like a promising outside midfielder last year, has gone backwards
Caddy - has gone backwards, not the engine room of our inside mids that we all hoped he would be
Guthrie - is he a lock-down or attacking midfielder? Either way, he's not doing enough of either. I have liked him more when he's played back, but we need to have him in the midfield
Horlin-Smith - seems even slower this year, just not getting it as much as he should, perhaps not up to AFL level
Murdoch - has played enough games that he should be starting to look comfortable and impose himself more on the game, but has gone backwards
Simpson - mobility and fitness is still and issue. Is this still related to his back and knee issues from last year, or just a general reflection that he's a huge dinosaur who will never improve in those aspects?
Kersten - seemed to get worse the longer he played last year, perhaps related to his knee injury. Imposes himself in the VFL but often looks over-awed in the seniors
Smedts - wasn't quite sure where to put Billie, as we haven't really seen enough of him to judge, but he still gets pushed out of the contest easily and hasn't improved his decision-making. Probably not helped by him playing in defence, where he's not naturally suited to

3. Seasoned players who are still playing well:
Selwood - enough said
Rivers - even though he may not always play because of match-ups, has got the job done when necessary
Lonergan - still plays his lock-down role effectively
Bartel - looked to have slimmed down and improved his fitness for more midfield time this year, before his concussion and then knee injury
Hawkins - hasn't kicked a bag of goals, but doing enough

4. Seasoned players who have gone backwards:
Kelly - has not been terrible this year, and had already gone backwards last year, so perhaps not a huge further decline this year, but hard to say that he's playing well
Enright - his disposal has been uncharacteristically, but consistently worse this year, looks flustered sometimes, not able to maintain his previously consistently high standards
Johnson - also showed signs towards the end of last season that things weren't quite right, after starting off the year with a bang. Is it his back, or again just a general decline? Hard to say, but we miss his consistently high grunt work and clearances, as well as the magic.
Mackie - last season wasn't great, and appears not to have fixed his issues, but harder to judge since he's had quad issues.
Taylor - again, not playing up to his lofty heights of two years ago, had an inconsistent season last year, and seems to be doing the same again this year - some good work, but other uncharacteristic bad play
Stokes - down on possessions, not providing the run and link that he has the last couple of years
McIntosh - playing VFL, say no more

5. New players who have shown a bit:
Clark - a good pick-up if he can stay fit and healthy
Stanley - some promising signs, nice to see a big man who is mobile and can kick the ball, even if he's not big enough to compete with the huge first rucks
Gregson - like a little terrier, never gives up, always after the ball, love his debut
Cockatoo - a few flashes that show why we picked him at number 10. May need to go back to VFL to consolidate his fitness and learn our game plan, but am comfortable with him

6. Players who haven't been called up to AFL yet:
Gore - by all reports has played well in the VFL
Blease - speedy, and good possessions in the VFL, still some question marks on his disposal
Koladjashnij - also playing well in VFL, just needs to force himself into the seniors by consistent play
Cowan - coming back from long-term injury, not sure where he's at
Jansen - hasn't imposed himself in the VFL as many hoped he would, needs to do more
Cunico - first-year player, needs to develop
Read - raw, but may develop
Luxford - B-list rookie, who knows if he'll develop
Lucey - as for Luxford

7. Players still injured or injured again:
Menzel, Vardy, McCarthy, Toohey, Bates, Delaney, (Hartman - left the club)

It seems to me we have way too many players in category 2 and 4, and not enough in category 3. Of particular concern are the players who've been on the list a few years now and should really be developing, but haven't (Motlop, Caddy, Duncan, Guthrie, Horlin-Smith). I think the lack of development in the latter is the main reason why we've gone backwards so quickly this year.
Great breakdown. One could quibble at the edges but the general thrust is spot on. And therein lies the problem given where we are at - With 9 players on our list that are not going to improve by virtue of their age, we simply had to see improvement from a big chunk of the 21-24 year olds if we were to remain competitive. We have 20 players in that age bracket (that's 20, not a misprint) but only 4 have improved by your estimates above. It is understandable to some extent that they are not all going to coincidentally explode and replace the older players immediately, but the number of them that haven't improved or have gone backwards is alarming.

Call me an optimist, legally blind or just pig headed, but as awful as he was, I thought Murdoch showed something at half back.

I prefer him to Smedts. Would not drop him.
I was perhaps a little harsh. I actually don't mind the theory behind Murdoch playing off half back. But it was absolutely the wrong timing for it given how poorly his form was. By all means, send him back to the VFL and tell him he's going to play off half back for a month. It might actually help him to get behind the ball and to find some cheap leather. At the moment he is really battling with his confidence as low as I've ever seen it. Persisting with him is doing no one any favours.

I was perhaps a little harsh. I actually don't mind the theory behind Murdoch playing off half back. But it was absolutely the wrong timing for it given how poorly his form was. By all means, send him back to the VFL and tell him he's going to play off half back for a month. It might actually help him to get behind the ball and to find some cheap leather. At the moment he is really battling with his confidence as low as I've ever seen it. Persisting with him is doing no one any favours.

Agree with all that. I did think it was a stretch. I think he needs a long stay in VFL. He has played really well at that level before.

I think if he is to make as an AFL player he needs to find a postion other than half forward as he simply does not have the game sense to make it there. Look at someone like Jake Stringer, limited athletic ability but just knows the game. Murdoch is the polar opposite.

That handball to no one across half back at a key part of the game was absolute doozy. I just about gave up hope of us wining at that point.
Nearly cost me a 55" LED TV.

Excellent analysis - well done :thumbsu: I reckon you've really nailed the reasons we have been below expected standard so far. Question now is, how does the team try and move onward and upward from here? Is the current coaching up to snuff, etc....
Yes, you have to wonder how good our development coaches are.

That was obviously McCartney's forte, so should we have gone after him to get him back in this role again after he was let go from the Dogs? I see he's now working as a development coach for Melbourne, so I wonder if that's part of the reason they're looking better this year?

Immune to ridiculous or unfair criticism yes. This talk of off loading Hawkins is beyond stupid. I am surprised bobby you give it any truck at all.

FFS…he lost his mother less than a week ago at a young age and what would have been a distressing demise…..

Give the guy a ******* break.

My honest opinion mate, Hawkins should have spent a month away from football all together. I understand it was his decision to play, but he really needed time away.
I get your point, and yes, I have been pretty vocal about our players and the team in general this past year or so, but your not looking at the longer picture here. I haven't said we should get rid off Hawkins, I am however worried about his body holding up. From what I have read, his back will always remain a concern for the remainder of his footballing days. He can hardly jump anymore, struggles to literally bend down and scoop up the ball.

Look, it's not the time to start asking these questions, but given Geelong predicament, chances are, Hawkins will play the next 3 years of his 'prime' footballing years in a team that will not be in contention for a premiership. We may not even be in contention for finals either. If he has not yet signed on the dotted line, he may be weighing up all his options, as he rightfully should. If Geelong get offered excessive compensation (given he is the best power forward in the competition right now), we should contemplate it. Clark, Kersten, Walker, Vardy, Stanley is enough firepower as is.

1. Young players that have improved from last season:
Bews - impressive improvement, starting to look like he's a lock in our defence
Lang - still a long way to go but the seniors experience is doing him good
Blicavs - still not sure where his best position is, but always trying
Thurlow - based on limited games, but looks composed and skilled
Walker - best when Hawkins was out, so need to find out how he'll work with both Hawkins and Clark in the forward line

Yep pretty much agree on all points. Loving Bews, to me he's been our clear positive of the first 4 rounds. Tough, disciplined, runs straight at the ball when it's his turn.

2. Young players that should have improved from last season but haven't:
Motlop - after a stand-out year in 2013, he was limited by injuries last year. But he is playing terribly this year, poor decision-making, going for flashy low percentage moves, no defensive work. Is not the game-changing player he should be.
Duncan - was looking like a promising outside midfielder last year, has gone backwards
Caddy - has gone backwards, not the engine room of our inside mids that we all hoped he would be
Guthrie - is he a lock-down or attacking midfielder? Either way, he's not doing enough of either. I have liked him more when he's played back, but we need to have him in the midfield
Horlin-Smith - seems even slower this year, just not getting it as much as he should, perhaps not up to AFL level
Murdoch - has played enough games that he should be starting to look comfortable and impose himself more on the game, but has gone backwards
Simpson - mobility and fitness is still and issue. Is this still related to his back and knee issues from last year, or just a general reflection that he's a huge dinosaur who will never improve in those aspects?
Kersten - seemed to get worse the longer he played last year, perhaps related to his knee injury. Imposes himself in the VFL but often looks over-awed in the seniors
Smedts - wasn't quite sure where to put Billie, as we haven't really seen enough of him to judge, but he still gets pushed out of the contest easily and hasn't improved his decision-making. Probably not helped by him playing in defence, where he's not naturally suited to

I'd only disagree on Smedts, who I think wasn't poor against Fremantle and wasn't our worst against Hawthorn. The rest are sadly spot on. I defended Guthrie, Caddy and Horlin-Smith only one week ago. Yesterday was the first time I thought "they've all gotten worse". I think all those players - Duncan and Motlop too - can play at the top level. They all have for us. But it's reasonable now to ask why they aren't showing anywhere near as much.

3. Seasoned players who are still playing well:
Selwood - enough said
Rivers - even though he may not always play because of match-ups, has got the job done when necessary
Lonergan - still plays his lock-down role effectively
Bartel - looked to have slimmed down and improved his fitness for more midfield time this year, before his concussion and then knee injury
Hawkins - hasn't kicked a bag of goals, but doing enough

I thought Rivers in particular battled manfully yesterday. Hawkins would be kicking more goals if we had any idea at all how to deliver it to him.

4. Seasoned players who have gone backwards:
Kelly - has not been terrible this year, and had already gone backwards last year, so perhaps not a huge further decline this year, but hard to say that he's playing well
Enright - his disposal has been uncharacteristically, but consistently worse this year, looks flustered sometimes, not able to maintain his previously consistently high standards
Johnson - also showed signs towards the end of last season that things weren't quite right, after starting off the year with a bang. Is it his back, or again just a general decline? Hard to say, but we miss his consistently high grunt work and clearances, as well as the magic.
Mackie - last season wasn't great, and appears not to have fixed his issues, but harder to judge since he's had quad issues.
Taylor - again, not playing up to his lofty heights of two years ago, had an inconsistent season last year, and seems to be doing the same again this year - some good work, but other uncharacteristic bad play
Stokes - down on possessions, not providing the run and link that he has the last couple of years
McIntosh - playing VFL, say no more

Hard to fault that list. This is exactly why I've been warning about having too many veterans both on the list and in the senior team. They can hit the wall at the same time, and it looks like a few have.

5. New players who have shown a bit:
Clark - a good pick-up if he can stay fit and healthy
Stanley - some promising signs, nice to see a big man who is mobile and can kick the ball, even if he's not big enough to compete with the huge first rucks
Gregson - like a little terrier, never gives up, always after the ball, love his debut
Cockatoo - a few flashes that show why we picked him at number 10. May need to go back to VFL to consolidate his fitness and learn our game plan, but am comfortable with him

Gregson has been probably the second positive of the season behind Bews. Looks so composed and accomplished already. A pleasant surprise.

Cockatoo. Where to start. You can see the natural talent. You can see good attacking instincts. But right now, he couldn't find how to be an effective senior player with a Melways, GPS and the 'Idiot's Guide to being a footballer'. Is miles off. Must go back to the VFL. Because we're one player down with him out there (unfortunately there are others too).

It seems to me we have way too many players in category 2 and 4, and not enough in category 3. Of particular concern are the players who've been on the list a few years now and should really be developing, but haven't (Motlop, Caddy, Duncan, Guthrie, Horlin-Smith). I think the lack of development in the latter is the main reason why we've gone backwards so quickly this year.

This is very much speculation, and could be completely wrong. But I see the following major issues - personnel, tactics, ego, and discipline.

Personnel: Others have addressed it better than me already. Too many too old, too many too young, not enough in between, and those have mostly slipped backwards. For whatever reason.

Tactics: I've never noticed so starkly how poor our thinking is about delivery to the forwards until yesterday. It is - 100% of the time - a long bomb to the top of the square. No matter what. No matter if the entire North Melbourne team we're having an impromptu bonding session in our goal square. Just amazingly mindless. Not forgetting Scott's incredible OBSESSION with versatility. Not everyone has to play every position. Goldstein doesn't (as an example). Murdoch isn't a defender's toenail and never will be. He can be - perhaps - a useful forward. But he will not be a defender no matter how many times you say it to yourself. Blicavs did a good job last week on the ball in the final quarter. But, that's against an utterly putrid Gold Coast who are even worse than we are. If he is to become a defender, and that's not a bad idea, then start playing him there. We aren't so good that you can arrogantly shuffle around the players on a weekly basis and they'll always play well. The players aren't so good to do that either.

Ego: I get the distinct impression that quite a few of our players, and not just the veterans who at least have earned their premiership medals, think they are better than they actually are right now. Into that category I would immediately put Duncan, Motlop, Guthrie and Caddy. What I loved about Guthrie's footy in 2013 was how insanely focused he was on doing the basics and nothing else. Halfway through last year he started wandering from that, and now he's a little bit tagger, little bit ballwinner, and not great at either. Caddy's even worse. For too much of his Geelong tenure I suspect he's believe the hype and embraced the idiotic 'bull' nickname, which is appropriate, as right now it is nothing but bullshit. Late last season I thought the penny dropped, he started working harder, working smarter, taking the first option, and looks so much better. But yesterday he did what is almost his trademark again, ignore the first option, try to break three tackles, and got pinged.

Discipline. This is especially frustrating, as it's so easy to fix. Two incidents from yesterday perfectly illustrate it. The first was Motlop's lazy attempt to kick the ball of the ground instead of picking it up, and the second was Kelly's idiotic whack of Thomas off the ball. Motlop has been playing arrogant footy for a while now, but that was just appalling. He should have been dragged for that immediately. Way too fancy, way too clever, and not nearly respectful enough of the opposition. As for Kelly's hit on Thomas, just unforgivable for a senior player. It smacks of a frustrated old player who realises he's finished. Can you imagine the level of criticism on here if say, Smedts did what Kelly did? But noooo, he's a premiership player, we can't ever criticise them, can we Chris?

The thing is, some things can be corrected immediately, you could drop Cockatoo, play Murdoch (if you must play him) up forward. You could drop Motlop or Duncan or Caddy. But they won't. We have too many sacred cows now, and the team won't get better until that changes.

North's win yesterday made them the first Victorian club to carry four points back to the big smoke since … the North, way back in Round 5, 2007, which was the week before the Cats’ golden era began.

In the post-game Presser, Scott said:
- "Our game, irrespective of age + experience, needs to improve."
- "Steve Johnson in the green vest was the right thing this week, given what is happening internally."
- "I wouldn't be planning SJ playing that role to often."
- "All the decisions are based on form to an extent. You've gotta pick the team you think is going to be best served to win the game on the day."
- "We're not prioritising the long term future by winning every week."
Whatever That Is-Small.png
- "We're not a Club that wants to engage in any talk about the past, we pick the team based on now + what we need to do for the future" + SJ as sub "was the right call for the day."
- "We had control of the game today + with a few really bad errors, halt your momentum + get the opposition back into the game."
- "I think we'll get better as the season goes on. We just have to bridge that gap of the first quarter really good solid footy + then just gifting the opposition four easy goals."
- "We did dump the ball into our forward 50 too often + give them a chance to rebound, when maybe we could have possessed the ball a bit more."
- "Modern footy is about being quick + direct at the right time + being composed at other times. It depends what the opposition presents."
- "The best players in the competition generally, yeah, the ones that can win the ball in the contest, but they're great decision makers after that + we were just found wanting at crucial moments."
- "It's a fine line in modern footy + it's generally not as bad as you think it is, if you just hang in there + stay positive. I'm very confident that that will be the approach that people within our footy Club will take."
- "We love Tom, we really feel for his situation + his family's situation. I'm really proud of the way the Club has rallied around Tom + other people who've had issues within the Club the last few weeks. I believe we're a strong organisation, but we're going to be tested at times + the measure of a really, really strong organisations is not how you go when everything is working for you, but how you react when things turn against you a little bit. + that may well be the situation we're in at the moment. But I'm optimistic + optimistic with good reason."
- Responding to Bews, who had a cork before half time: "I think some of our young players showed some great signs. I'm not standing here saying we have the best young players in the competition. We've got some young guys who are learning their way + there are some really good signs there. They play team footy. We're not always executing as well as we could at times, right at the moment, but that part can turn quickly if you have the right attitude, Jed's a good example of that."

I loved Scott's response to a question about Clarkson that Geelong has a really good media + manager, who briefed him that he'd get the question + told Scott to lie through his teeth + say he hadn't heard about it :oops: + :p But characteristically, Scott said he wouldn't respond about a coach he highly respected.

I loved Scott's response to a question about Clarkson that Geelong has a really good media + manager, who briefed him that he'd get the question + told Scott to lie through his teeth + say he hadn't heard about it :oops: + :p But characteristically, Scott said he wouldn't respond about a coach he highly respected.

No matter what we think due to our club-centric biases, Clarkson is so far ahead of Scott as a coach it's distinctly not funny.

North's win yesterday made them the first Victorian club to carry four points back to the big smoke since … the North, way back in Round 5, 2007, which was the week before the Cats’ golden era began.

In the post-game Presser, Scott said:
- "Our game, irrespective of age + experience, needs to improve."
- "Steve Johnson in the green vest was the right thing this week, given what is happening internally."
- "I wouldn't be planning SJ playing that role to often."
- "All the decisions are based on form to an extent. You've gotta pick the team you think is going to be best served to win the game on the day."
- "We're not prioritising the long term future by winning every week."
- "We're not a Club that wants to engage in any talk about the past, we pick the team based on now + what we need to do for the future" + SJ as sub "was the right call for the day."
- "We had control of the game today + with a few really bad errors, halt your momentum + get the opposition back into the game."
- "I think we'll get better as the season goes on. We just have to bridge that gap of the first quarter really good solid footy + then just gifting the opposition four easy goals."
- "We did dump the ball into our forward 50 too often + give them a chance to rebound, when maybe we could have possessed the ball a bit more."
- "Modern footy is about being quick + direct at the right time + being composed at other times. It depends what the opposition presents."
- "The best players in the competition generally, yeah, the ones that can win the ball in the contest, but they're great decision makers after that + we were just found wanting at crucial moments."
- "It's a fine line in modern footy + it's generally not as bad as you think it is, if you just hang in there + stay positive. I'm very confident that that will be the approach that people within our footy Club will take."
- "We love Tom, we really feel for his situation + his family's situation. I'm really proud of the way the Club has rallied around Tom + other people who've had issues within the Club the last few weeks. I believe we're a strong organisation, but we're going to be tested at times + the measure of a really, really strong organisations is not how you go when everything is working for you, but how you react when things turn against you a little bit. + that may well be the situation we're in at the moment. But I'm optimistic + optimistic with good reason."
- Responding to Bews, who had a cork before half time: "I think some of our young players showed some great signs. I'm not standing here saying we have the best young players in the competition. We've got some young guys who are learning their way + there are some really good signs there. They play team footy. We're not always executing as well as we could at times, right at the moment, but that part can turn quickly if you have the right attitude, Jed's a good example of that."

Good work, Kitty ;) Saves me listening to the press conference.
I totally agree with Scott about how the club's being tested at the moment. It's very much about how the coaches, the players and the club respond when times are tough. I just hope that the reaction of people here on BF isn't a true indication of how the players, etc. are going to respond! :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quite clear after four rounds that ability to dispose of the ball and decision making and the ability of the midfield to breakeven is the problem, time and time again we made the wrong decision and even worse just plain butchered the ball, which puts everyone under the pump, we seem to have got a list of athletic bodies that lack of football understanding at this stage and dare say will be a few changes for next week

Yep pretty much agree on all points. Loving Bews, to me he's been our clear positive of the first 4 rounds. Tough, disciplined, runs straight at the ball when it's his turn.
What I like is he also looks really really dirty with himself if he gets beaten, and when he spoils he doesn't leave anything to chance... he smashes the s**t out of the ball to the boundary

We have a few younger guys that just drop the bottom lip and try to be cute when it's not going their way

What I like is he also looks really really dirty with himself if he gets beaten, and when he spoils he doesn't leave anything to chance... he smashes the s**t out of the ball to the boundary

We have a few younger guys that just drop the bottom lip and try to be cute when it's not going their way

How good was Bews' diving spoil on Thomas in the last quarter? From my seat, it looked like Thomas was about to take a clear uncontested mark on the 50m line and Bews flew out of nowhere and got the ball out of bounds without infringing.

It's great that we're pumping games into him but even better that he's thoroughly deserving of those games.

What stars do we have that we can trade out, BC? The list gets shorter every year :(
Well really we have only Hawkins or Motlop, but really why would you want to trade an up and coming quality mid like Mots for the hope you could get another mid of some quality? Hence Hawkins just seems the only obvious player to try to use to gain quality mids/picks. I doubt very much we'll do it but I would support such a move because in modern footy with its new rules surrounding player movement you have to consider players far more disposable in order to rebuild than in the past. Loyalty is only going to become rarer and rarer unfortunately.

Good work, Kitty ;) Saves me listening to the press conference.
I totally agree with Scott about how the club's being tested at the moment. It's very much about how the coaches, the players and the club respond when times are tough. I just hope that the reaction of people here on BF isn't a true indication of how the players, etc. are going to respond! :eek:
Thanks Teri. It was a good press conference, I thought + he didn't make any silly clangers. Even with his clangers, I much prefer Scotty to say someone like Malthouse, who is very arrogant + rude. Sadly, his arrogance that makes him think being rude is clever, it doesn't, it only proves his ignorance. Scott is gracious + his courage shines when he is good in press conferences.
I just hope that the "players etc" aren't a bunch of drama queens ;) Otherwise, they'll all be sacking one another +

AliceInWonderland - RedQueen-OffWithTheirHeads-1.jpg

How good was Bews' diving spoil on Thomas in the last quarter? From my seat, it looked like Thomas was about to take a clear uncontested mark on the 50m line and Bews flew out of nowhere and got the ball out of bounds without infringing.

It's great that we're pumping games into him but even better that he's thoroughly deserving of those games.
Bews had a fantastic game fpm + considering his corky before half time, showed great guts + determination.

Last edited:
Neither are even close on a scale to what Hawkins does to the structure of this team.

And for the life of me I can't fathom what scale of value you have used to even consider that reasonable.

You post some really good stuff but you left the lid off the glue stick too long this time…

Vent the room…

Go Catters
Alright Daz, forgot to put Beams in that list.

Bews was great, Guthrie's continually improving, even Cocky is improving already, once he loses his game day nerves (which are still quite obvious) he will fly through his development.

More impressive due to him having a corkie as well... he is just a competitor

Remove this Banner Ad

Back