Relegation Race

Remove this Banner Ad

I suppose while the investigation was in progress it was still possible that no charges would be laid. Which is obviously not the case now.

Yeah fair point I suppose. He's still innocent until proven guilty I guess?

Just an update on Johnson, seems he's been cleared to play by the club.

Advocaat said he'd be in the squad for the Stoke game this weekend if he "felt OK".

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32446760

yipee, im glad we're concerned about the mental state of someone charged with underage sexual abuse. that's clearly the most important thing at play here. absolutely laughable from sunderland. he should be suspended pending result of the investigation, and if found guilty his contract should be torn up on the spot.

Can they still be caught? I'd still be amazed if they were relegated, although I guess with Carver in charge anything is possible.

If they continue losing they may well be, but they might be saved by Sunderland/QPR's terrible form.

Any points Newcastle picks up in the run home will be a genuine surprise, although Sissoko, Cisse and De Jong all fit and in the team isn't something we have experienced yet this season so the last three games (Cisse is another week away from returning from suspension) may see a shock draw or heaven forbid an actual win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can they still be caught? I'd still be amazed if they were relegated, although I guess with Carver in charge anything is possible.

We've been in free fall for quite a while now and frankly I'm not surprised we're getting sucked into the relegation scrap. The team is devoid of leadership, unity and direction. Carver somehow found a way to outdo Pardew and lose 7 in a row and with our current disjointed performances, its hard to see it turning around anytime soon. If he was a true fan as he claims to be, he'd walk away. The man is an absolute disgrace. Abused and threatened fans again after the Swansea game on the weekend - the 2nd time this season he's done that. :drunk:

If they continue losing they may well be, but they might be saved by Sunderland/QPR's terrible form.

Yep, tend to agree but our form is clearly the worst in the PL. True Geordie (a youtube personality) said a few weeks back that IF we stay up, it will only because of the clubs below us being generally poorer, not because of any kind of saving grace form from our team. Many have pointed out that this current team of ours resembles the last Toon team to get relegated. Quite a few big names and well paid players but seemingly disinterested and a messy turmoil between fans and the owner.

Any points Newcastle picks up in the run home will be a genuine surprise, although Sissoko, Cisse and De Jong all fit and in the team isn't something we have experienced yet this season so the last three games (Cisse is another week away from returning from suspension) may see a shock draw or heaven forbid an actual win.

Yep, tend to agree mate - we actually have a decent run of games but on form, anyone would beat us. 3 of the 4 teams we have left to play are still in the relegation battle so effectively its now have 2 6 pointer games to play. Perhaps giving us a chance is the fact that both QPR and West Ham who we face are 17th and 18th respectively on the form table (we're dead last in 20th).

Remaining games:
  • vs Leicester (A) - on form, Leicester should win this - they'd be disappointed with a loss or even a draw I would suspect given their momentum and the home crowd roaring them on).
  • vs West Brom (H) - Perhaps one of our best chances to get some points. WBA have been ok in recent form (12th) and are just about safe on 37 points. Their away form isn't great (3 wins all season) so perhaps if they can get a point away to Man Utd (maybe a stretch) in their next game, they might mentally switch off. Interesting to note another boycott has been planned for this game...
  • vs QPR (A) - real danger game for us, especially if QPR are still fighting to stay up. We actually beat QPR in the penultimate game 2 seasons ago away to secure our safety (though I believe QPR were already relegated). I can't see them already being dead and buried in this fixture.
  • vs West Ham (H) - if all else fails, West Ham at home on the final day might be the one we can win (especially if West Ham are out of the top 10 finish picture). The players may be mentally checked out ready for their holidays and if thats the case, we might just get lucky and pluck a win. Maybe Carroll and Nolan will take pity on us and play horribly. Then again, would be sweet for them both to send us down and stick it Ashley.

I think we'll stay up (barely) but more likely due to results going our way than ourselves doing the hard work. Sissoko is available again, plus Cisse to return soon and Dummett & Aarons being potential inclusions in the next few games should help add a few more bodies to the depleted first team. De Jong impressed me with his match sharpness despite missing most of the season with injury so might play a central figure in our chances.

The other concern is if we continue to slump, our GD will become a real concern given how horrible it is. I'd think 1 win from our final 4 would be enough but its hard to see one coming.

Relegation odds have been updated again:

• QPR - $1.10
  • Burnley - $1.30
  • Hull - $1.72
  • Sunderland - $1.83
  • Leicester - $2.88
  • Villa - $10
  • Newcastle - $36
Might throw some coin on us at that price. That way, even if we go down, I'll be happy ha.

Not sure we're worth that much either. We're still in the relegation places ffs.
Updated prices below:

• QPR - $1.07
  • Burnley - $1.07
  • Hull - $2.88
  • Sunderland - $1.45
  • Leicester - $6.50
  • Villa - $6.50
  • Newcastle - $17
Bookies like the current bottom 3 to go down.

Might throw something on Leicester just in case. Those odds are way too high.

Updated prices below:

• QPR - $1.07
  • Burnley - $1.07
  • Hull - $2.88
  • Sunderland - $1.45
  • Leicester - $6.50
  • Villa - $6.50
  • Newcastle - $17
Bookies like the current bottom 3 to go down.

Might throw something on Leicester just in case. Those odds are way too high.

Amazing how much ours jumped after a win. I mentioned on the podcast the confidence a win can give you, it's incredible how much it can change a side's odds.

Amazing how much ours jumped after a win. I mentioned on the podcast the confidence a win can give you, it's incredible how much it can change a side's odds.
Yeah they fluctuate a lot! It only takes a loss against Chelsea and then Newcastle on the weekend and we're straight back in trouble. $6.50 is interesting odds.

Yeah they fluctuate a lot! It only takes a loss against Chelsea and then Newcastle on the weekend and we're straight back in trouble. $6.50 is interesting odds.

I agree, $6.50 is generous. Your form is great, but Leicester are only out of the relegation zone by a point.

I agree, $6.50 is generous. Your form is great, but Leicester are only out of the relegation zone by a point.
Couldn't agree more. I don't think Pearson will let the lads become complacent but I'll be taking some of those odds just in case. If we get relegated, I may as well get rich in the process.

QPR and Burnley need a miracle to not be relegated.
I think it's either Sunderland or Hull that will be relegated, and they both have a game in hand. Look at both of the teams remaining games. Both will be lucky to get anything more than 3 points.
Leicester's form and better run home makes me believe they'll survive.
Villa are Villa and always find a way to stay up.

I think I got it a bit wrong about QPR.

Looks likely to be one from Sunderland or Hull then.

Huge win for the Tigers over the Scouse :thumbsu:

For mine - you can lock in the bottom 3

Yep, Sunderland won't get more than another 3 points, so City are safe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back