Preview Rnd 5 - Carlton v Collingwood Friday May 1st 7.50pm @ MCG - Team post #528

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Menz comes in, but I dont think it will be at the expense of Ellard. Played his role perfectly. Mick won't drop him.

I don't know. I know he'll stay but I can see us changing our 'dour' ways into attacking ways soon enough.
How long can we keep playing Ellard, Carrazzo, Armfield, Curnow all in negating roles?
In his defence, Ellard has kicked 3 goals in his three matches, so he's done a good job for Mick but I'd sooner back-men were in fear of our forwards, than for our forwards to be in fear of opposition back-men.

How long can we keep playing Ellard, Carrazzo, Armfield, Curnow all in negating roles?

How long can we keep Ellard, Carrazzo, Armfield, Curnow at the club ??

Mick has to use to the best of his abilities what he has at his disposal right now and that is fair enough but all four are holding us back overall regardless of how hard they try.

How long can we keep Ellard, Carrazzo, Armfield, Curnow at the club ??

Mick has to use to the best of his abilities what he has at his disposal right now and that is fair enough but all four are holding us back overall regardless of how hard they try.

Smith could/should usurp Ellard.
Carrazzo is unlikely to go on.
Armfield will unlikely be at the club next year.

Curnow has every right to stay.

Smith could/should usurp Ellard.
Carrazzo is unlikely to go on.
Armfield will unlikely be at the club next year.

Curnow has every right to stay.

Smith will certainly usurp someone, Carrazzo has to retire, Armfield is making up the numbers at present and Curnow, well I disagree with you about him.

Smith will certainly usurp someone, Carrazzo has to retire, Armfield is making up the numbers at present and Curnow, well I disagree with you about him.

Curnow is a wonderful runner & stopper and as long as we have one player that can shut down someone when required, he'll stay.

He might not be playing the best footy of his career, but Curnow has plenty of brownie points in the bank and won't be cut from the list anytime soon.

I don't know. I know he'll stay but I can see us changing our 'dour' ways into attacking ways soon enough.
In his defence, Ellard has kicked 3 goals in his three matches, so he's done a good job for Mick but I'd sooner back-men were in fear of our forwards, than for our forwards to be in fear of opposition back-men.

I agree with you in terms of long term they need to be weeded out. But just can't see Ellard being dropped this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with you in terms of long term they need to be weeded out. But just can't see Ellard being dropped this week.

He won't be but when Thomas is back, Menzel decides to 'turn on' and Smith comes on, there may be little scope for Ellard.

I think he'd know that and it's hard not to admire the, behind the scenes work, he and White have done.

He won't be but when Thomas is back, Menzel decides to 'turn on' and Smith comes on, there may be little scope for Ellard.

I think he'd know that and it's hard not to admire the, behind the scenes work, he and White have done.
Ellard and Army have been good inclusions as they both are experienced and have reasonable speed and nous around Goals.

I've been quite happy with Jones.

He's been missing goals, which is frustrating, but he's been competing and tackling. When the ball hits the ground he's not useless like Cas and Watson.

I'd also like people to consider how often Jones has TWO defenders on him. Why is that? Why does a guy, who was supposedly recruited as a third tall, get double teamed?

Forward lines work as a team within in a team, Hendo gets 5 yesterday, does he get 5 if Jones doesn't play? I don't think so.

Spot on.

Well of the second group, Judd is the only auto-selection but notice the team only won while he was out. ;) One would probably bring in Menzel to sub over Dick but that speaks more of our lack of medium forwards than Troy's form. It'd suck to be Jaksch and be left out but I'd give him another run in the seconds to boost his match fitness - a baptism of fire against a spud like Jesse White might rupture his self esteem. Stick former teamate Andrejs on him, who'd devastate him athletically.

Of the first group, well if Levi's only in the team as a backup ruck then I'd rather experiment with Warnock and Wood in tandem. Graham would be a lock for best 22 if I was a selector but Mick doesn't agree. :( Watson won't displace Jones while the team keeps winning. :p

hence Jaksch, Menzel and Judd the likely ins...
Previously when Judd's been out, nobody has stepped up to fill the void. They just looked lost and confused as to whose job it was to get the ball and make things happen. Against the Saints, Cripps did what nobody else was willing to do. He put on a bald cap and took the game on Judd style. Can't expect a 6 gamer to do that every week though.

This Menz needs to turn on thing is hilarious.

Was pretty damn good rd 1 and played rd 2 (after midway through first qtr) injured.

I think he's a much better player than he's shown at our club, to date............and much better than Stringer who looks like a genius right now.

I think he's a much better player than he's shown at our club, to date............and much better than Stringer who looks like a genius right now.

I think he can be a much better player too - which is what most say about talented 3rd year players.

Stringer is a fine player & there's no shame in Menz being a little behind him atm. Stringer is built & is playing in a team with a functioning forward line. We have close to the most dysfunctional forward line in the league.

I think he can be a much better player too - which is what most say about talented 3rd year players.

Stringer is a fine player & there's no shame in Menz being a little behind him atm. Stringer is built & is playing in a team with a functioning forward line. We have close to the most dysfunctional forward line in the league.

Given Menzel's talent, he shouldn't be spoken about as 'being-in-the-mix'
He should be an out and out obvious pick, but he isn't.............not according to Gibbs anyway. Why not?

Given Menzel's talent, he shouldn't be spoken about of being 'in-the-mix'
He should be an out and out obvious pick, but he isn't.............not according to Gibbs anyway. Why not?
More so because he's probably going to be listed as 'test' this week not because he's fit & a chance to play VFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back