Expansion Lionel Messi the most popular sports star amongst Australian children ages 4-14

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Moore

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
As per this article (Oz subscription needed)

edit: alternative google results link. Click the top article to read

The relevant bit:

...And Barcelona soccer player Lionel Messi is the most popular sports star among Australian children, ahead of Test cricket captain Michael Clarke, according to the latest New Generations research study conducted by Turner Broadcasting for its Cartoon Network.

That's a pretty significant bit of information, I reckon. If I was the AFL, NRL, or ARU, I'd be filling my boots, to be honest.

Last edited:
Would love to read article but I cant.

Who was polled? ( I have never ever been polled in this type of s**t)
Where are they from?
Were they given a list to select from or just asked an open ended question?

Your link also seems to go to an article to do with Net Savvy kids influencing household spending.

Yeah, it's part of general research into kids media/spending habits, commissioned for the Cartoon Network channel. I've quoted the relevant bit re: sports.

Obvious questions about the poll's representativeness etc would have been taken into account by the researchers. They do this professionally. "I've never been polled in one of these" isn't a meaningful observation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As per this article (Oz subscription needed)

edit: alternative google results link. Click the top article to read

The relevant bit:

That's a pretty significant bit of information, I reckon. If I was the AFL, NRL, or ARU, I'd be filling my boots, to be honest.

my son is 5, 6 in november. struggles to name any sports players

the biggest issue facing AFL is the same one facing Soccer and all other sports. Video games. theres a reason why twitch sold for so much.

but you wont hear that coming from the soccer driven "the tsunami is coming for the AFL crowd"

Oh I just through that out there. Not trying to take away from the research.

You'd be surprised how few people you really do need to get an accurate overall picture. I'd tell you but I can't remember the number, but I do remember being surprised.

When I was a kid I didn't even know what soccer was. I mean, I did play the game because my parents tried to get me into as many sports as possible. But I never knew the names of professional players. Neither did anyone I knew.

All my idols as a kid were Richmond players, and I'd say my favourite player was Richo.

These days its all about soccer because if you play footy (not afl; afl is the name of the league) your hair might get ruined.

Where would these kids actually watch Messi? All the games are played during the night, and he plays in La Liga which isn't watched anywhere near as much as the Premier League.

Where would these kids actually watch Messi? the games are played during the night, and he plays in La Liga which isn't watched anywhere near as much as the Premier League.
good point as that's when 14 year olds are out drinking and stealing cars for joyrides

This is why the AFL needs to fund a quality AFL video game, rather than charge for its rights.

It's the best way to expose young kids to the game.

My nephew is obsessed with fifa ultimate team but has zero interest in watching an actual game of soccer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back