Bachar Houli allegedly called a Terrorist by 3AW's John Burns

Remove this Banner Ad

This post should be stickied at the top of every thread like this. Well said.

Except the SBS guy spoke ( clumsily and crassly I'll admit) for a lot of people who feel the ugly realities of war have been utterly whitewashed by the ANZAC "celebrations".

Please explain how labelling Houli a terrorist is an even remotely defensible position.
Anzac day is a commemeration never a celebration .

Sure, hence the quotation marks. Between the endless advertising exploitation, political opportunism, and drunk bogans using it as opportunity to dabble in unthinking nationalist rhetoric, I don't see much sincere commemoration.
The 80000 plus at the dawn service where there to commemerate .the twits on twitter dont speak for the majority

Yep..its what the world needs. More self-righteous outrage over a few silly words said in private.

What has happened to the irreverent knock-about aussie sense of humour?

Its sad to see what this country has become.

You're kidding yourself.

It's a corporate and political jamboree where a revisionist version of history gets rammed down our throats to sell product and win votes. It has been infected with the same virulent strain of nationalism that has been taking over many aspects of Australian public life of late.

Otherwise there'd be a tad more focus on the irony of us currently invading bits of the Middle East at the behest of a foreign imperial power. And a tad less b.s. about how the diggers died for our "freedom" and "way of life".

I do love the irony of the SBS bloke being sacked for commenting on Gallipoli because of demands from the same idiots who think that WWI was about fighting for our "freedom"... apparently not the freedom to speak freely on political matters.

Yep..its what the world needs. More self-righteous outrage over a few silly words said in private.

So people can't be outraged about actual offensive words, but you can be outraged about them expressing their outrage with inoffensive words. Have I got that right?

Back to the thread...It interesting how the media are all willing to unload on Clarkson or any AFL player who moves from moral perfection but when its one of the media
Not sure if serious... the media response to the Clarkson thing has been the biggest cover up since JFK. In his "interview" on Channel 7 they didn't bother to contradict his obviously ridiculous claims about it being a "push" and him being terrified for his very life, nor did they have the guts to ask him about his history of similar incidents.

Anzac day is by definition a celebration:
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/celebrate
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/celebrate
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/celebrate

After all, when the myth of soldiers protecting freedoms that we now enjoy is repeated THAT is a celebration.

Furthermore, there is no reason why a commemoration cannot include celebratory elements or activities. Indeed celebratory activities are critical for the success of collective remembering practices.

It's religious vilification rather than racism. There's no country called Muslamia of which Muslims are citizens. They can be of any nationality.

I know what you mean, but I don't think that's how the average bogan sees it. Anyone with olive to dark skin and a beard is fair game for this insult. Paul Puopolo grew a beard in the off season and fans on Facebook were telling him to get rid of it because he looked like a terrorist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 80000 plus at the dawn service where there to commemerate .the twits on twitter dont speak for the majority

You're deliberately misunderstanding me. I'm talking about the opportunists, not the sincere mourners.

Yelling at a football game != "in private"

Comprehension fail

Broom stick at the end of a witch hunt I'm outta here you're all fuking terrorists in my mind oxygen thieves :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back