Preview AFL Round 5 - Richmond vs Geelong, MCG, 1:45PM Saturday 2 May

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was. we got destroyed in centre clearances and on the fast break for many reasons, one because HS is slow as treacle and cant win contested ball. face it he aint going to make it. just doesnt have the right combination of physique and talent. he busts his gut though and can never be criticized for lack of effort and isnt a bad mark for his size but its just not enough. Like Mitch Brown he just aint built for the AFL.
You could end up being right Seeds but some people mature later than others he just looks like a puppy a bit that hasn't grown in to his body yet. He looks like a 19 year old to me not a 22 year old.

Re Lonergan:

“The word is that he should be available but, as always, until I get that word I don’t give it a second thought,” Scott said.

So... There's a word, but you don't have it yet Chris... You're just waiting to get it. o_O

Could have been TC. I couldn't pick it up on the TV. I thought in the third quarter he started to get involved in the play a bit more and was a bit surprised to see him finish without a clearance to his name.
I would say that if he was given directions to just get the ball and clear it, he'd have had a few. There have been other games in which he's had none as well but I haven't gone back to check the stats to see who was getting the clearances if it wasn't GHS. Just to see such a big tackle count suggested to me that he was either second to the ball all the time- which is a possibility, though we were doing OK in the ruck early in the game and he SHOULD have got one or two clearances then, or he was told to pick up a particular opponent and just pressure them in order to affect their disposal in the midfield. I actually like the possibility that he may be learning some of Lingy's tagging tricks. Even better if it's not obvious. :D

"Drop this bloke", "were not fit enough", "Its the coaches fault", "He's being played out of position", "He's too old" are just some of the things i've read today regarding our beloved GFC. For the first time in a while at the game on Saturday, there was some noise. Not deafening noise, but a glimmer of passion and tribal noise. For the first time in a long time we are going into games at home as underdogs. We've had it far too good for far too long and we
(as supporters) have collectively forgotten how to support the cats. Lets see what the year holds for us , it may be the year we drop down the ladder, and its going to need a few years of building, but our great club will be challenging in no time. Tigers eat their own, North boo a lot, Freo are feral, Bombers are cheats, lets be a club who's supporters actually support through thick and thin. Positive thinking and a glass half full approach for supporters can be enlightening, instead of throwing up negatives here there and everywhere. The bandwagon might be slowing down, but there's no need to get off, were just refuelling. Cant wait for the challenges that await us, and to see which players are willing to go the extra mile for success.
#gocats
#feralcats
#thickandthin
#GFCforever

"Drop this bloke", "were not fit enough", "Its the coaches fault", "He's being played out of position", "He's too old" are just some of the things i've read today regarding our beloved GFC. For the first time in a while at the game on Saturday, there was some noise. Not deafening noise, but a glimmer of passion and tribal noise. For the first time in a long time we are going into games at home as underdogs. We've had it far too good for far too long and we
(as supporters) have collectively forgotten how to support the cats. Lets see what the year holds for us , it may be the year we drop down the ladder, and its going to need a few years of building, but our great club will be challenging in no time. Tigers eat their own, North boo a lot, Freo are feral, Bombers are cheats, lets be a club who's supporters actually support through thick and thin. Positive thinking and a glass half full approach for supporters can be enlightening, instead of throwing up negatives here there and everywhere. The bandwagon might be slowing down, but there's no need to get off, were just refuelling. Cant wait for the challenges that await us, and to see which players are willing to go the extra mile for success.
#gocats
#feralcats
#thickandthin
#GFCforever
Count me in!!

Stanley also looks so much more confident when Blicavs is there with him. He knows that at any stage there will be a set play 3rd man up. And feck me, if it wasn't the first time in for ever that we got a free for our 3rd man being blocked. Teams do this to us all the time and finally we get to do it right back. Some beautiful taps too by blitz who is a proper ruck. Too bad our midfielders couldn't capitalise

(as supporters) have collectively forgotten how to support the cats.
Lets see what the year holds for us , it may be the year we drop down the ladder, and its going to need a few years of building, but our great club will be challenging in no time. Tigers eat their own, North boo a lot, Freo are feral, Bombers are cheats, lets be a club who's supporters actually support through thick and thin. Positive thinking and a glass half full approach for supporters can be enlightening, instead of throwing up negatives here there and everywhere. The bandwagon might be slowing down, but there's no need to get off, were just refuelling. Cant wait for the challenges that await us, and to see which players are willing to go the extra mile for success.
#gocats
#feralcats
#thickandthin
#GFCforever
That's pretty affronting to those of us who never wavered through the 44 years of drought, heart break and broken dreams.

That's pretty affronting to those of us who never wavered through the 44 years of drought, heart break and broken dreams.
Not really, YPO. I took it to mean that My Third Nipple was speaking to those members who've only been with the Cats since the mid-2000s, not the oldies who've stuck with the club faster than barnacles!
Members this year number 40-odd thousand with the target set at 50k. What were the numbers in 2006? Or 2010? 2012?

Edit- membership numbers and % increase here:

image.jpg
So MTN's just talking about the 13,000 members and those uncountable supporters who've joined in the fun since 2007 ;)

I think ..

Last edited:
still laid 8 tackles and setup a goal though. His endeavor was there but it just wasn't going his way. Wasn't a good day for winning clearances either. Goldstein had 8 of them himself, as he was dominating everyone (bar Selwood) in the center square.
Thing is it's not jut te weekend. He stunk round two and was dropped. He didn't play round one because his nab cup was filth. He's not a senior footballer. Honestly the game time would be better spent smashing games into Smedts, gore or someone else who shows a modicum of ability

Can't speak for anyone else, but I would love to just see these things against Richmond (presuming they're all playing):

- Horlin-Smith stuck in the centre square all game.
- Caddy to spend more time in the centre square.
- Murdoch to be within sniffing distance of Hawkins in the forward pocket.
- If Clark is to play as a key forward, then Walker goes out. We can't have three key forwards. Either that or play Clark as a ruckman.
- Cockatoo gets dropped. Sorry, but he's a passenger right now, and we've got too many players not getting the ball as is.
How you can want to drop cockatoo - who yes he's struggled, but want to sit GHS in the square defies Logic. One bloke will improve. One is slow and continually butchers it and is 22.

Not really, YPO. I took it to mean that BlightysCats was speaking to those members who've only been with the Cats since the mid-2000s, not the oldies who've stuck with the club faster than barnacles!
Supporters this year number 40-odd thousand with the target set at 50k. What were the numbers in 2006? Or 2010? 2012?
He wasn't responding to one of my posts Teriyaki...Just for the record though, I painfully watched us lose 4 Grand Finals, and remember standing in the standing room at Kardinia Park in the final match of '99' having been to nearly every game that year with about 4 other people watching Geelong get smashed by the Eagles who didn't even play finals that year I think, little to know at the end of that season that the infancy of our golden era was about to begin. Point is I'm anything but a fair weather supporter.

Last edited:
Not really, YPO. I took it to mean that BlightysCats was speaking to those members who've only been with the Cats since the mid-2000s, not the oldies who've stuck with the club faster than barnacles!
Supporters this year number 40-odd thousand with the target set at 50k. What were the numbers in 2006? Or 2010? 2012?

Edit- membership numbers and % increase here:

View attachment 128438
So Blighty's just talking about the 13,000 members and those uncountable supporters who've joined in the fun since 2007 ;)

I think ..
Watch as those numbers decrease dramatically in 2016.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And there are plenty of people like you that have supported the club through thick and thin, I only refer to the crowd involvement/noise and excitement that has been non existent ever since we have become a modern day success. Perhaps after losing some games and we go through a (hopefully) mini drought of premierships, our supporters will again find their voice and passion for the team. No offense meant by these comments but Perhaps there is a feeling of accomplishment for those veteran supporters that (like my dad) never thought he would see another flag ore 2007, and now that that dream has been fulfilled your thirst for more has somewhat dissipated. Comfortable that you have seen what you thought was a pipedream and now the going to the footy is just a little bit of meh?

How you can want to drop cockatoo - who yes he's struggled, but want to sit GHS in the square defies Logic. One bloke will improve. One is slow and continually butchers it and is 22.

It's an opinion. No more no less. If we need to improve our contested possessions and clearances, then I'd put the guys in there who have shown they can do that. Not for just 65% game time either. If he and Caddy are going to be part of our engine room in future, then throw them in and leave them there.

As for Cockatoo, he's just an observer at the moment. He's not getting the ball. He's useless around a contest. We got sucked in by one fabulous goal in the pre-season and ignored that he did virtually nothing else. You can see the ability, but he needs form and fitness first.

I also prefaced my comments with "presuming they're all playing". If they're not then it doesn't matter.

He wasn't responding to one of my posts Teriyaki...Just for the record though I painfully watched us lose 4 Grand Finals, and remember standing in the standing room at Kardinia Park in the final match of '99' having been to nearly every game that year with about 4 other people watching Geelong get smashed by the Eagles who didn't even play finals that year I think, little to know at the end of that season that the infancy of our golden era was about to begin. Point is I'm anything but a fair weather supporter.
My apologies- have edited my post. I don't know where I got your name from- probably flicked up a little too far past my last post to your previous one :(
I assume My Third Nipple is also far from a fair weather supporter, hence his post about the bandwagon just stopping to refuel.

Thing is it's not jut te weekend. He stunk round two and was dropped. He didn't play round one because his nab cup was filth. He's not a senior footballer. Honestly the game time would be better spent smashing games into Smedts, gore or someone else who shows a modicum of ability
Very very harsh on the bloke. Stunk up nab challenge and rd 2 no doubt, was then dropped from the side and didn't play reserves that week. How is a player supposed to get any continuity into his game when he is constantly in and out. Like Walker who is in the same boat of playing 2 consecutive games before being dropped, they need a chance to play large blocks of games, then we can judge. He's a young player that is held in high regard at the club and IMO WILL come good, sometimes all we need is patience. Smedts has had chances and whilst I think he's being played out of position, has not exactly set the world on fire himself.

And there are plenty of people like you that have supported the club through thick and thin, I only refer to the crowd involvement/noise and excitement that has been non existent ever since we have become a modern day success. Perhaps after losing some games and we go through a (hopefully) mini drought of premierships, our supporters will again find their voice and passion for the team. No offense meant by these comments but Perhaps there is a feeling of accomplishment for those veteran supporters that (like my dad) never thought he would see another flag ore 2007, and now that that dream has been fulfilled your thirst for more has somewhat dissipated. Comfortable that you have seen what you thought was a pipedream and now the going to the footy is just a little bit of meh?
In a sadistic sort of way,I have learnt to enjoy the long road back to the top,watching this club rebuild is nothing new to me and can be just as rewarding as pushing for finals,trust me footy hasn't become meh for me,if anything it's become more interesting than ever before thanks to modern technology.Ive got another flag or two on my bucket list.Normaly I'd say we require around 3 to 4 years from where we are now to be challenging again,but what effect free agency has on that time frame I'm not sure.

Comments here are quickly revealing which generation many of the posters belong to.

I'd hate to see how some on here would've carried on if they'd been around to support the club through the Dark Ages.

Just 3 short years whilst transitioning and they want Scott hung, shot, drawn and quartered (did I miss anything?) for failing a premiership - can you imagine the hysteria and tantrums if they were around through the 70's and 80's??

Like YPO, I have followed this club through thick and thin, but I can assure you that there's no way in hell that any of us are now content, because we went through many, many years of heartache, and there ain't no way known our thirst for success is sated yet.

Like YPO, I have followed this club through thick and thin, but I can assure you that there's no way in hell that any of us are now content, because we went through many, many years of heartache, and there ain't no way known our thirst for success is sated yet.
The 3 peat with 2008 flag against the Hawks might have made a difference.

Revenge is a dish best served cold. Ah, stuff it! I'll take it any way- hot, warm, cold, frozen. I don't care.
We have a grudge to settle with a few clubs yet- Hawthorn (plenty of bad blood there but I'd be happy to beat them in 10 GFs by a point each time), then West Coast (Hate hate hate), Carlton, the Pies, who else?

Revenge is a dish best served cold. Ah, stuff it! I'll take it any way- hot, warm, cold, frozen. I don't care.
We have a grudge to settle with a few clubs yet- Hawthorn (plenty of bad blood there but I'd be happy to beat them in 10 GFs by a point each time), then West Coast (Hate hate hate), Carlton, the Pies, who else?

Freo. Just because.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back