Education & Reference How good is your geographical knowledge?

Remove this Banner Ad

You all suck. Geography isn't just knowing countries or flags. School would have been much easier if that were the case. It involves knowledge of geomatics, pedology, climatology, oceanography etc.

Just on this, you're right that there is a difference between more scientific geography and socio-cultural, political geography. The borders in which it leaks over to geology and history are also fuzzy. But the op was clearly discussing the political aspect of geography, and that's an entirely reasonable focus.

above average. i'm very interested to learn about countries and i like watching a lot documentaries about them and their cultures.
7/10

Just waiting for the Bosnia/Hercegovina split...

BiH is a nation basically split 50/50 between two largely political/cultural entities, Fed of BiH (majority Bosnian and Croat) & Republika Srpska (majority Serb). Hercegovina is a geographical region that is basically split 50/50 by the borders of Fed of BiH and Republika Srpska. If it splits, does it split on geographic or ethno-cultural/political grounds?

BiH could conceivably stay as it is, split into two or split in three. Perhaps BALKAN can offer his 2 Convertible Marks on the issue.

I have the app on my iPad that shows where the International Space Station is at any given moment. I used to play a game where I'd turn it on, then try to work out which bit of the world I was looking at as quickly as possible. (Have to cover up the Latitude/Longitude at the bottom as well unless you need a hint)

Yugoslavia is about seven countries now.

Six at last count.

Slovenia
Croatia
Serbia (Vojvodina and Kosovo autonomous regions, the latter recognised as an indpendent country by about half UN member nations)
Montenegro
Bosnia & Hercegovina
Macedonia

I've been to 3. Would like to get to Serbia and Montenegro and deeper into Bosnia, and I guess Macedonia too so it doesn't feel left out.

Never forget when I was in the States many moons ago, old yank hears my accent and asks where I'm from. Of course I answer Australia.

She then comes up with "Australia, that's an island isn't it?"

Yeah love, bloody great big one down south.
When I was at school the Australian mainland was considered a large island, and Australia was not deemed a small contient. Well, it was on the cusp of the island-continent thing really I guess, but generally stll more widely deemed an island (certainly outside Australia).

Six at last count.

Slovenia
Croatia
Serbia (Vojvodina and Kosovo autonomous regions, the latter recognised as an indpendent country by about half UN member nations)
Montenegro
Bosnia & Hercegovina
Macedonia

I've been to 3. Would like to get to Serbia and Montenegro and deeper into Bosnia, and I guess Macedonia too so it doesn't feel left out.
My first attempt at uni coincided with the start of the Balkan war, and I did a second year history topic on it that was almost changing daily. That it seemed such an old school war in the immediate aftermath of shock, and awe, Gulf War I style warfare seemed at odds to me as well. Gotta give Tito his due though, keeping Yugoslavs, as they were, and their generations old intercine enmities all pulling in roughly the same direction so long can't have been a walk in the park.

BiH is a nation basically split 50/50 between two largely political/cultural entities, Fed of BiH (majority Bosnian and Croat) & Republika Srpska (majority Serb). Hercegovina is a geographical region that is basically split 50/50 by the borders of Fed of BiH and Republika Srpska. If it splits, does it split on geographic or ethno-cultural/political grounds?

BiH could conceivably stay as it is, split into two or split in three. Perhaps BALKAN can offer his 2 Convertible Marks on the issue.

BiH needs to unite, not split, and a good start would be tossing the Serb nationalists over the border to Serbia.

Very strong.

I've always followed world news and history and such, have family scattered all over the globe and have travelled and lived overseas at various times throughout my life. Generally though in my circles, I find us Aussie are pretty decent at the basics of geography. In my experiences, Americans are the absolute worst. They DGAF about anywhere that isn't part of their continent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tossing them over the border or moving the border?

Move the border where?
The Serbs and the Croats are still filthy that the Ottomans took over the Balkans 700 years ago and won't be happy until they take back the land they feel they have ancestral claims to ie. the entirety of Bosnia & Herzegovina at the expense of the Muslim population. I don't see how you could split it further nor do I think drawing up new borders is a solution.

Move the border where?
The Serbs and the Croats are still filthy that the Ottomans took over the Balkans 700 years ago and won't be happy until they take back the land they feel they have ancestral claims to ie. the entirety of Bosnia & Herzegovina at the expense of the Muslim population. I don't see how you could split it further nor do I think drawing up new borders is a solution.

I'm not an advocate of splitting it up even more or moving any borders.

I was just responding to the guy who said he was waiting for BiH to split into B and H. Not that simple as you're obviously aware.

As far as tossing Serbs over the border goes, that's just a silly suggestion that would end do bloody border disputes and shrinking borders.

Put it this way, my mastermind subjects would be Countries, their capitals and flags, Australian Test cricket, Adelaide Football Club/AFL, and the BBC's The Office. Not specifically in that order...

Solid, especially due to my interest in world politics and history.

Used to be better when I owned an atlas, but still fairly solid. I ******* love maps though. I want a big book of maps that cover hundreds of years of history. Old maps in particular are awesome, both on a historical level but also on a aesthetic level - they look beautiful.

I jumped in a cab at JFK Airport in New York yesterday, a 10 minute conversation about Australia, Melbourne and cricket ensued with the driver, who was of Indian descent. The conversation then turned to money/property prices; the driver said to me "...Australia is in the European Union, yes? You use the Euro..?".

Believe it or not, this is the third time a foreigner has asked me this same question in the past 12 months or so.

I jumped in a cab at JFK Airport in New York yesterday, a 10 minute conversation about Australia, Melbourne and cricket ensued with the driver, who was of Indian descent. The conversation then turned to money/property prices; the driver said to me "...Australia is in the European Union, yes? You use the Euro..?".

Believe it or not, this is the third time a foreigner has asked me this same question in the past 12 months or so.
Only thing that comes to mind is that they think Australia is a British Overseas Territory.

I'm not an advocate of splitting it up even more or moving any borders.

I was just responding to the guy who said he was waiting for BiH to split into B and H. Not that simple as you're obviously aware.

As far as tossing Serbs over the border goes, that's just a silly suggestion that would end do bloody border disputes and shrinking borders.

I was joking about the B&H split, merely noting that the presence of "&" in the country name makes it look ripe for a split. I really didn't intend to start a discussion about politics and ethnic divides in that region.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back