James Aish

Remove this Banner Ad

From memory he told them he would leave first chance he got before they drafted him and they drafted him hoping their culture could get him to change his mind.

Aish clearly doesn't want to be in Brisbane. And to be honest my memory of draft day was not of a kid ecstatically happy about being drafted by the Lions. Surely clubs actually ask players (and do some digging) if they really want to play there? I know you can;t "draft tamper" by saying you won;t play for a certain club, but you get the feeling the Lions knew Aish didn't prefer to go to them but they hoped they'd win him over.
A lot of clubs probably are aware that players have preferences not to move interstate, but have a "once he gets here we'll convert them!" thought process going.

Sloan has never hid the fact that he was upset about having to leave Melbourne for Adelaide and now he (publically) loves the place. Then there's also guys like Rioli who made us aware he would leave for Melbourne as soon as he could if we drafted him and we didn't pick him (though I dunno if that was a deciding factor or not), so if Aish has said that to Brisbane and Brisbane picked him anyway, then surely they'd of known this was coming?

A lot of clubs probably are aware that players have preferences not to move interstate, but have a "once he gets here we'll convert them!" thought process going.
Sloan has never hid the fact that he was upset about having to leave Melbourne for Adelaide and now he (publically) loves the place. Then there's also guys like Rioli who made us aware he would leave for Melbourne as soon as he could if we drafted him and we didn't pick him (though I dunno if that was a deciding factor or not), so if Aish has said that to Brisbane and Brisbane picked him anyway, then surely they'd of known this was coming?
Yep - which I think rather diminishes the whole "Aish is an ungrateful ...." line. The Lions took a risk, and clearly it has no paid off.

Aish wanting to come home shouldn't affect his performance. When you walk out onto the field you want to play your best and take the game on. Seems to me he is having 2nd year blues, or simply isn't ready for AFL level yet. Maybe Vossy was able to get the best out of him and Leppo isn't reaching him. Maybe he has said he wants to come home and the coaches are neglecting & ignoring him.

Regardless, hope he keeps this form up, drives down his value for if he does want to come home.

Aish wanting to come home shouldn't affect his performance. When you walk out onto the field you want to play your best and take the game on. Seems to me he is having 2nd year blues, or simply isn't ready for AFL level yet. Maybe Vossy was able to get the best out of him and Leppo isn't reaching him. Maybe he has said he wants to come home and the coaches are neglecting & ignoring him.

Regardless, hope he keeps this form up, drives down his value for if he does want to come home.

Leppitsch was Brisbane's senior coach last year as well.

Maybe Vossy was able to get the best out of him and Leppo isn't reaching him. Maybe he has said he wants to come home and the coaches are neglecting & ignoring him.

Voss never coached him.

From memory he told them he would leave first chance he got before they drafted him and they drafted him hoping their culture could get him to change his mind.

Eh? From memory? Memory of what?

Some weird fan fiction going on in here :p Regardless, just take him and his manager. Hopefully he buys in, because if you can't give him what he feels he is entitled to, he wont.

Tail wagging the dog.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was what Wingard said to GWS.

We told Aish that we would have his throne waiting for him when he got off the plane, his gold plated sceptre with a roaring lion on top and the Aish family crest would be the new Lions logo.

Voss never coached him.

Eh? From memory? Memory of what?

Some weird fan fiction going on in here :p Regardless, just take him and his manager. Hopefully he buys in, because if you can't give him what he feels he is entitled to, he wont.

Tail wagging the dog.
There was talk that Aish was a flight risk after his interviews? That was one of the reasons given for him sliding.
I think thats what he meant.

Aish, like every player in our team right now is having a poor year by their usual standards. Redden, Beams, Green, Leuenberger and many other senior players having poor years so far. Rich pretty well the only one that is playing well. Wouldn't worry about his form. Probably a good thing for you come trade time.

There was talk that Aish was a flight risk after his interviews? That was one of the reasons given for him sliding.
I think thats what he meant.

:confused: Slide?? ......pick 7 is not sliding

Take a look at the draft order and Aish finished about his true position .....Bontempeli pick 4 ?

I know at various stages they talked #1 ......but i believe it's more other players rising up the ranks than Aish falling

But as all these things just an opinion ;)

Pretty much every year the SA players slide a few spots. But Aish still should have easily been top five, even allowing for that.

I get that's he might be unhappy and that effects his motivation and performance.

I also wonder whether he has the emotional strength, determination and resilience to be worth a big investment? what happens if he doesn't like something here, or if the coach forgets to call him on his birthday?

Dunno. But none of this I find reassuring or comforting

Remove this Banner Ad

Back