My take on yesterday and our future

Remove this Banner Ad

Pannalstaroz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Right, time for the dissection. I applaud Jdoggy for his. Well written and I agreed with most of it. Again, I'll do it numerically. Happy to discuss any points you don't agree with.

1. Jarrad Grant:
He's getting better. I know he can frustrate, I know his best and worst comes out, often in the same passage, but he BRINGS SOMETHING DIFFERENT. He tackles hard, he's stronger than he's given credit for and his ball skills, as an all round sportsman, are insane. Yes yes can get found out under enormous heat, but he can also take massive hangers, he gets the link up handball going as well as anyone in the team and, for the most part (and I'll continue to harp on this), good things happen when he's around the ball. He stays in, if he can keep getting 15 touches, 4-5 tackles and avg around a goal, he stays, and we're the better for it.

2. Bob Murphy:
Wow. He was so clearly best on ground (and somehow Jon Ralph left him out of the best 3!!!!). When the team is so dominant against such a well performed side, that says how good he was. He was amazing. The left foot kick to Easton Wood was the kick of the year. Nothing will beat that. Outstanding, outstanding game. A pleasure to watch.

4. Marcus Bontempelli
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, this "kid" slash man child, slash man beast, will be the best player most of us have seen at the club. I can't be so disrespectful to those who have long gone before him, but his skill set and what he brings to the table is out of this world. He just goes and picks the ball up in traffic, he walks through people like they're not there and he kicks it like a champ. I don't so much admire or love him, I just stare in amazement. I suspect my reaction is similar to one who saw Bradman in 1929. He's simply better than the others. It wasn't even one of his best games, but I still just stared. Crazy good.

5. Matthew Boyd
The coaching move of the year, in any club. Bar none. To call it a masterstroke is like highlighting that the wheel was an important discovery. He is calm, composed, experienced and his kicking is so much better because he has time to execute it properly and not just bang it on the boot, which he could do more often than most, but with no efficiency. Give him another 2 years.

6. Luke Dahlhaus
Luke is becoming extremely consistent, so much so that I hardly notice his work rate any more. I've only watched the 1st half on replay after being at the game, but his willingness to run hard to create space, as well as his tackling intensity, is amazing. If he could kick a drop punt properly, he'd be a star. As it is, he's just a super, super player. He'll be very close to A Grade by the end of this season.

8. Stewart Crameri
Watched him a fair bit during the game. He worked and ran very hard, he's just not having the impact he did last year. But, TBH, that's to the betterment of the team. He's a hard running 3rd forward, and that's the role he's playing now. That he's not close to being the number 1 forward says how far we have come in 6 months. He'll come good, he got into space and save for 2 misses by a collective margin of 4 inches, he could have had 2 goals and been an important player.

9. Jake Stringer
Too quick for a tall, too tall for a small. The full package. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, when he learns to not sit back on his set shots and get his momentum through the ball, he'll be an AA. We all know what he is, but he likes to hurt opposition, he's got a nice amount of arrogance and he has a skill set that few possess. Star. It's easy to sing his praises after his coming out parade, but he's a bona fide star. The concern is can he continue it for 22 weeks? Time will tell but I suspect his ego will not allow him to not do it.

10. Easton Wood
Jesus he looked like Corey Enright last night. He intercepted everything, ran off his opponent and disposed of it with skill. I won't say he's come a long way, because he's always had it, but his body is allowing him the continuity he needs for consistency. It was by far his best game and he's an important cog of a (at this point) very capable and strong back 6.

11. Jack Macrae
He was much better this week. His kicking to space across his body is as good as anyone in the league and he sees the ground very well. As I've said a lot, he needs more penetration in his kicking, but he's strong over the ball, he's creative and he gets in space easily. Star.

13. Nathan Hrovat
Love his decision making, love his foot skills, hate his lack of leg speed. At his height, he needs to be quicker, in my opinion. He brings a good skill set to the table, but does he have a point of difference in his game that stands him out from the others? I'm not sure but I'd like to see it.

14. Clay Smith
I'm staggered how well he played given how much footy he's missed. Hardly missed a beat. His point of difference is his ability to hurt people in the tackle. I guess I'm still slightly concerned that this manic play will result in further injuries, but he was terrific yesterday. I labelled his kicking functional, and he does get the ball to go where he wants it to, which I guess is all that matters, but compared to a Webb or Bont, his kicking won't win any beauty awards. Happy to have him back.

17. Tom Boyd
Ok, I've been accused, and probably quite rightly, about my one eyed view of him. He's a farking star. As I've said ad nauseam, he is not strong enough, against the no1 defenders of most clubs, to dominate his space, hold off the defender and take a mark. But he will be. His ability to read the ball and get it to the front any way possible, is extraordinary for a kid. His kicking is amazing (especially when there are so many forwards who don't take their chances) and almost all our scores are a direct result of his input, or his structural significance. I farking love him.

19. Lukas Webb
Called it first after Ballarat. Gilbee all over again. He is clearly a natural sportsman - he's got time and he's composed. Two perfect qualities for role he will play. He kicks it really well, he makes good decisions and he reads the play well. For the draft people who wanted him; big tick. For Dally, bigger tick.

22. Mitch Honeychurch
Need to watch the rest of the game to see him, because I didn't notice much of him when he was on. He's had a very good start to the season, but as many have mentioned, there's going to be extreme competition for the small forward position in the team and I'll be fascinated in 3 years time who has owned/wanted it the most.

23. Jordan Roughead
I mentioned 2 months ago that the revised backline plan that Beveridge was introducing would help Rough out the most, and it has. It hasn't left him as exposed one on one as he has been. His strength is his size and marking/spoiling ability. Athleticism and mobility aren't. And for God's sake, he is not a forward and he's not a ruck, and I'll die saying that, only because he has more to offer down back. He was very good yesterday, as was the whole backline.

25. Koby Stevens
I was so disappointed in his game at Punt Rd 2 weeks ago. He had a nightmare, but he was great yesterday. His strength above his head is crucial if it continues, because he's reliable. His kicking and intensity were much better. He's still on the cusp of being in and out of selection, but it'd be hard to drop him on yesterday's performance.

29. Tory Dickson
His performance was unlike him, his kicking was off and his pressure wasn't as manic as it had been. He'll escape criticism because of the glory surrounding the team, but, like Honeychurch, he can't be having 2 or 3 quietish games in a row because he'll be out for a Hunter or someone else. I'll reserve judgement until next week.

32. Michael Talia
I'm slowly coming around ;). He was terrific last night. Th thing he is, and this will be important moving forward, is he's consistent. His build is perfect for footy, he's quick enough and he defends one on one very well. His kicking is still a concern and under pressure he has no creativity, but I'll take him for what he is, which is a dependable, reliable backman who doesn't get beaten often. I'll admit I may have been a bit hard on him.

39. Jason Johannisen
His best game for the club by a mile. He was fantastic. My knock on him, other than his kicking, was his inability to back in his speed and second guess the decision. His timing of his runs off half back to get the handball receive was perfect, and I don't say that lightly. His kicking was good and his speed is so important. Fantastic game and I hope his confidence grows from here because a fast runner with confidence and the ability to evade defenders is an amazing asset.

42. Liam Picken

He's not my fav, but as I've said many times, he's my first picked. He's dependable and reliable and his effort is consistent, which means he plays every week regardless. He was fantastic yesterday, and forget the offensive stuff, he was mighty in the middle and wherever he played. His kamikaze attack on the footy is there for all to see and is a great example to the younger guys that talent isn't everything.

46. Lin Jong
Whilst I was never as harsh on him as MD, he clearly needed to improve to be a best 22 player. And he has..... in spades. His athleticism and strength through the thighs and hips, is incredible. He can get up to speed quickly, his skills have improved and he's easily best 22, because we don't have a 6'3" running machine like him in the club. And it's crucial to create space, which then benefits everyone else around him. He's not Griffen, but he doesn't need to be, we are better balanced with him in the side.

49. Ayce Cordy
This might take a while to get down, but his importance or otherwise to the team, comes down to what value you put on tap ruckman. He was smashed in centre bounces, which is where Minson is dominant, but the around the ground things at he did, picking it up, firing out handballs etc, are things that Will can't do. Watching Jacobs, who I thought was poor other than his tap work, has led me to believe that tapping the ball is about as overrated a skill in modern day footy as there is. The lumbering ruckman, in our helter skelter play, I fear is redundant. Will is going to have to show a lot to get himself back in. If yesterday was an anomaly and we get smashed by structure against Sydney, I may change my mind again, but yesterday's game was a glimpse to the future (and hopefully the now) and I can't see how Will, who I love, maintains validity in that lineup. Whether Ayce is the answer, or whether our long term mobile ruckman isn't at the club at the moment, I don't know, but I can't see a dinosaur being part of our next Premiership side.

I mentioned a few weeks ago that the challenge was for the kids to do the heavy lifting for the side. The starting 4 in the middle yesterday were Bontempelli, Macrae, and Dahlhaus. That these kids are doing what they're doing at 19, 20 and 21 is mind blowing.

Finally, I said we would finish 2nd last because of the experience we lost, but ultimately what happened with the players leaving last year was no bad thing. And at this stage I'm right about one and wrong about the other. We won't finish down the bottom. We will scare the s**t out of sides. I stated the reasons we let Cooney etc go and the club has been justified; Stringer has taken his game to another level. Whether that is cultural, becoming a father, maturity, whatever, it doesn't matter, the decision was right.

There will be ups and there will be downs, but there has never, I repeat, never, been a better time to be a Dogs supporter.

Go Dogs.

Last edited:
Still buzzing about how amazing our kids are. I kept having to tell my mates at the game that Stringer JUST turned 21 and that Bont is 19. Who are these freaks and how on earth did they get to the Dogs? Just gobsmacked at how amazing we are to watch and how well we are performing.

Just watching the replay on a rare day off....! Agree with a lot of Pana's stuff but not on Grant. He is a headcase I had no doubt he was going to miss the set shot after his great mark. Also in the contest he often wasn't clean enough. A few other points:

Structure A number of people seem to have been locked into the notion that we must play a second KPF/ruck like Redpath, Cordy or Roberts. I've been big on just playing our best players and if that means a smaller fwd line so be it. We only looked shite when Boyd wasn't there. So if we are going down this path Roughy filling the 2nd ruck seems the better option rather than taking Boyd out of the fwd line. Big tick to Bev for trying a different smaller, competent fwd structure

Stringer - Is he going to be better than Bont?? If he can fix his set shots then maybe (and that just reduces Bont to 2nd or 3rd best player in the comp in a couple of years). What I love about Stringer is his explosive 'swagger'. Its how he breaks tackles and defenders' hearts (see Hartigan)

T Boyd - What a difference!! Noticed when he is off the ground we got outmarked up fwd for just about the only times in the game. This has chopped us to pieces over the last few years with our fwd entries. If he just gets a goal a game (but he won't :D) and halves every contest - brilliant. Early in the 3rd quarter, he goes better, actually 'tap rucks' a spoil to someone on the wing, just superb. Very happy he is at the club.

M Boyd - Moving him back is looking like one of the best coaching moves in a long time. His overhead marking is solid. But its his composure and execution that is just not something I thought Boyd could do. I've been a big critic of Boyd for his DE over the years but loved his ball winning ability. Bev's ability to eliminate Boyd's weakness with a positional move has been superb. He also resisted the temptation to move him to mid with Wallis (and Libba out). Big tick to Bev and Boyd.

Webb - Went to the Melbourne praccy game and like a few others thought, have we got our Gilbee replacement??? You betcha. Webb could well be a better intercept mark and a bit harder though. A couple of fwd entries to Boyd and Stringer were fantastic. What a pick up.

Backline in general - Starting to look very solid. Murphy's run and delivery is superb. Easton Wood and JJ's defensive work superb. JJ's run superb. Talia is going very well and Rough is solid. Talia's impressive work should be given more kudos.

Hrovat - People have raved about his ball use and decision making. Didn't see it today or any time that I can recall at any consistent level. Seems to look rushed and panicky when he does get the ball (which is probably not often enough). Still not sure on his future.

Ayce - Ayce showed that his type of player (mobile running link up ruck) could be effective for us. Just don't think Ayce is the man to do it, you just can't get smashed in virtually every ruck contest like he did and be considered effective - two of Adelaide's first three goals were down to Ayce being dominated. His one on one marking is also ordinary.

Jong - He keeps getting better.

All in all very happy with the Dogs. Love the fwd press locking the ball fwd as well. Bring on Sydney.

Just watching the replay on a rare day off....! Agree with a lot of Pana's stuff but not on Grant. He is a headcase I had no doubt he was going to miss the set shot after his great mark. Also in the contest he often wasn't clean enough. A few other points:

Structure A number of people seem to have been locked into the notion that we must play a second KPF/ruck like Redpath, Cordy or Roberts. I've been big on just playing our best players and if that means a smaller fwd line so be it. We only looked shite when Boyd wasn't there. So if we are going down this path Roughy filling the 2nd ruck seems the better option rather than taking Boyd out of the fwd line. Big tick to Bev for trying a different smaller, competent fwd structure

Stringer - Is he going to be better than Bont?? If he can fix his set shots then maybe (and that just reduces Bont to 2nd or 3rd best player in the comp in a couple of years). What I love about Stringer is his explosive 'swagger'. Its how he breaks tackles and defenders' hearts (see Hartigan)

T Boyd - What a difference!! Noticed when he is off the ground we got outmarked up fwd for just about the only times in the game. This has chopped us to pieces over the last few years with our fwd entries. If he just gets a goal a game (but he won't :D) and halves every contest - brilliant. Early in the 3rd quarter, he goes better, actually 'tap rucks' a spoil to someone on the wing, just superb. Very happy he is at the club.

M Boyd - Moving him back is looking like one of the best coaching moves in a long time. His overhead marking is solid. But its his composure and execution that is just not something I thought Boyd could do. I've been a big critic of Boyd for his DE over the years but loved his ball winning ability. Bev's ability to eliminate Boyd's weakness with a positional move has been superb. He also resisted the temptation to move him to mid with Wallis (and Libba out). Big tick to Bev and Boyd.

Webb - Went to the Melbourne praccy game and like a few others thought, have we got our Gilbee replacement??? You betcha. Webb could well be a better intercept mark and a bit harder though. A couple of fwd entries to Boyd and Stringer were fantastic. What a pick up.

Backline in general - Starting to look very solid. Murphy's run and delivery is superb. Easton Wood and JJ's defensive work superb. JJ's run superb. Talia is going very well and Rough is solid. Talia's impressive work should be given more kudos.

Hrovat - People have raved about his ball use and decision making. Didn't see it today or any time that I can recall at any consistent level. Seems to look rushed and panicky when he does get the ball (which is probably not often enough). Still not sure on his future.

Ayce - Ayce showed that his type of player (mobile running link up ruck) could be effective for us. Just don't think Ayce is the man to do it, you just can't get smashed in virtually every ruck contest like he did and be considered effective - two of Adelaide's first three goals were down to Ayce being dominated. His one on one marking is also ordinary.

Jong - He keeps getting better.

All in all very happy with the Dogs. Love the fwd press locking the ball fwd as well. Bring on Sydney.
No worries about Grant, I just see it differently.

Agree with most of your write up. In particular I've been banging on about this all week.

Watching Jacobs, who I thought was poor other than his tap work, has led me to believe that tapping the ball is about as overrated a skill in modern day footy as there is.

2. Bob Murphy:
Wow. He was so clearly best on ground (and somehow Jon Ralph left him out of the best 3!!!!). When the team is so dominant against such a well performed side, that says how good he was. He was amazing. The left foot kick to Easton Wood was the kick of the year. Nothing will beat that. Outstanding, outstanding game. A pleasure to watch.
You don't have to say much about Bob. His skill and composure is of a very high level. It has been for 12 years. But clearly BOG? Come on, he played well, but that's because Adelaide allowed him to play well. Much like Lumumba the week before, who played a similar role to Bob yesterday, Adelaide refused to man him up. Obviously he's going to cut loose when that's the case. I agree with Jon Ralph.

4. Marcus Bontempelli
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, this "kid" slash man child, slash man beast, will be the best player most of us have seen at the club. I can't be so disrespectful to those who have long gone before him, but his skill set and what he brings to the table is out of this world. He just goes and picks the ball up in traffic, he walks through people like they're not there and he kicks it like a champ. I don't so much admire or love him, I just stare in amazement. I suspect my reaction is similar to one who saw Bradman in 1929. He's simply better than the others. It wasn't even one of his best games, but I still just stared. Crazy good.
I love your optimism and we all know he has had an impressive start to his career, but FFS, man. Keep a lid on it.

5. Matthew Boyd
The coaching move of the year, in any club. Bar none. To call it a masterstroke is like highlighting that the wheel was an important discovery. He is calm, composed, experienced and his kicking is so much better because he has time to execute it properly and not just bang it on the boot, which he could do more often than most, but with no efficiency. Give him another 2 years.
Hard to disagree with this.

9. Jake Stringer
Too quick for a tall, too tall for a small. The full package. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, when he learns to not sit back on his set shots and get his momentum through the ball, he'll be an AA. We all know what he is, but he likes to hurt opposition, he's got a nice amount of arrogance and he has a skill set that few possess. Star. It's easy to sing his praises after his coming out parade, but he's a bona fide star. The concern is can he continue it for 22 weeks? Time will tell but I suspect his ego will not allow him to not do it.
How is he a star? How many "stars" are there in the AFL? If there are 200 stars, then fair enough, I agree.

11. Jack Macrae
He was much better this week. His kicking to space across his body is as good as anyone in the league and he sees the ground very well. As I've said a lot, he needs more penetration in his kicking, but he's strong over the ball, he's creative and he gets in space easily. Star.
Again, ease up on "star". He's a very good player. Not a star. Not yet.

17. Tom Boyd
Ok, I've been accused, and probably quite rightly, about my one eyed view of him. He's a farking star. As I've said ad nauseam, he is not strong enough, against the no1 defenders of most clubs, to dominate his space, hold off the defender and take a mark. But he will be. His ability to read the ball and get it to the front any way possible, is extraordinary for a kid. His kicking is amazing (especially when there are so many forwards who don't take their chances) and almost all our scores are a direct result of his input, or his structural significance. I farking love him.
OK, now you're taking the piss. First you say he is a star, and then you say he is not strong enough to out mark defenders. How can he be a star if he isn't strong enough? At this point you have labelled three of our players as current stars. If that's the case, we should be challenging for at least a top six finish.

29. Tory Dickson
His performance was unlike him, his kicking was off and his pressure wasn't as manic as it had been. He'll escape criticism because of the glory surrounding the team, but, like Honeychurch, he can't be having 2 or 3 quietish games in a row because he'll be out for a Hunter or someone else. I'll reserve judgement until next week.
I believe he was under an injury cloud, which may explain his "quite" game. Having said that, I am surprised he played on the wing if he wasn't right.

32. Michael Talia
I'm slowly coming around ;). He was terrific last night. Th thing he is, and this will be important moving forward, is he's consistent. His build is perfect for footy, he's quick enough and he defends one on one very well. His kicking is still a concern and under pressure he has no creativity, but I'll take him for what he is, which is a dependable, reliable backman who doesn't get beaten often. I'll admit I may have been a bit hard on him.
IMO, he is our story of the year. I have rated him since his first year. He now has good size and despite his kicking being below average, he understand his limitations and doesn't try to kick the laces off the footy. He's a better version of Zac Dawson. The same Dawson who has played in three Grand Finals.

You don't have to say much about Bob. His skill and composure is of a very high level. It has been for 12 years. But clearly BOG? Come on, he played well, but that's because Adelaide allowed him to play well. Much like Lumumba the week before, who played a similar role to Bob yesterday, Adelaide refused to man him up. Obviously he's going to cut loose when that's the case. I agree with Jon Ralph.

You're in a huge minority and I think you've read his game poorly. Not only did he get handball receives, but his one on one defending, in my opinion, was terrific.

I love your optimism and we all know he has had an impressive start to his career, but FFS, man. Keep a lid on it.

Nah

Hard to disagree with this.

How is he a star? How many "stars" are there in the AFL? If there are 200 stars, then fair enough, I agree.

Let's say there are 5 per club on average, it's just that we have more than some. And there's a bit of license here.

Again, ease up on "star". He's a very good player. Not a star. Not yet.

Probably fair

OK, now you're taking the piss. First you say he is a star, and then you say he is not strong enough to out mark defenders. How can he be a star if he isn't strong enough? At this point you have labelled three of our players as current stars. If that's the case, we should be challenging for at least a top six finish.

Careful

I believe he was under an injury cloud, which may explain his "quite" game. Having said that, I am surprised he played on the wing if he wasn't right.

I'm surprised he played at all if he wasn't right. So, like all things, if you're on the park, you're 100%.

IMO, he is our story of the year. I have rated him since his first year. He now has good size and despite his kicking being below average, he understand his limitations and doesn't try to kick the laces off the footy. He's a better version of Zac Dawson. The same Dawson who has played in three Grand Finals.

Now you're just plagiarizing my stuff from last week. Expect a call from my legal team.

Now you're just plagiarizing my stuff from last week. Expect a call from my legal team.

I'm guessing you also compared him to "a better version of Dawson"? Care to provide a link.

In relation to "star", I tend to consider the likes of Fyfe a star. Someone like Mundy isn't quite a star. A lot of teams don't have any stars. Nathan Jones, for example, is Melbourne's best player. He is very good, but I don't consider him a star. The term gets thrown around too easily.

A team like Hawthorn, however, has a number of stars. Hodge, Roughy, Mitchell and Lewis, IMO. The likes of Gibson, Burgoyne, Gunston, Frawley, etc are vey good players. A lot of people would consider them to be stars, but that should be limited to only a select few players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely taking the piss with the Bradman stuff.

The Bont is an exciting young talent, but he's no certainty to be the greatest of all greats. No one is.

Lets try and keep expectations down just a touch

Surely taking the piss with the Bradman stuff.

The Bont is an exciting young talent, but he's no certainty to be the greatest of all greats. No one is.

Lets try and keep expectations down just a touch
Of course I was being facetious about the Bradman reference. Jesus I'm surprised I had to respond to that.

I'm guessing you also compared him to "a better version of Dawson"? Care to provide a link.

In relation to "star", I tend to consider the likes of Fyfe a star. Someone like Mundy isn't quite a star. A lot of teams don't have any stars. Nathan Jones, for example, is Melbourne's best player. He is very good, but I don't consider him a star. The term gets thrown around too easily.

A team like Hawthorn, however, has a number of stars. Hodge, Roughy, Mitchell and Lewis, IMO. The likes of Gibson, Burgoyne, Gunston, Frawley, etc are vey good players. A lot of people would consider them to be stars, but that should be limited to only a select few players.
If I can find it, I will, but you're playing semantics. Are you always this tormented?

I didn't reference Zac Dawson with Talia, but I thought I had. It was another reference about Rory Thomspon, so apologies. I'll cancel the legal proceedings. *joke* don't get upset.

Of course I was being facetious about the Bradman reference. Jesus I'm surprised I had to respond to that.

If I can find it, I will, but you're playing semantics. Are you always this tormented?
Main problem is we need to keep a lid on things. Being big headed only leaves room for disappointment.

Main problem is we need to keep a lid on things. Being big headed only leaves room for disappointment.
Nah, embrace it. It may not last. We may fall in a heap. Enjoy the up times. I'm 38 and my beloved Dogs are the missing link in what has otherwise been an ok life.

Can I enjoy it for both of us? Don't fear failure but equally don't fear success.

Nah, embrace it. It may not last. We may fall in a heap. Enjoy the up times. I'm 38 and my beloved Dogs are the missing link in what has otherwise been an ok life.

Can I enjoy it for both of us? Don't fear failure but equally don't fear success.

Hear hear!

Is it a good or bad thing Jake seems to be goal hungry. He does not give the handball to players in a better position but most times his strength gets out of trouble and he slots the goal as he is a better kick on the run than a set shot. Just think he could give it off a few times to players in better position . I guess this up the coaches to determine.

Is it a good or bad thing Jake seems to be goal hungry. He does not give the handball to players in a better position but most times his strength gets out of trouble and he slots the goal as he is a better kick on the run than a set shot. Just think he could give it off a few times to players in better position . I guess this up the coaches to determine.
If he thinks he can take the shot, i'm more than happy for him to do it. Better than overusing it and having the possibility of a turnover being there.

I like that he's confident in his ability to kick goals.

His confidence is vital to our success IMO, let him go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back