Benny Gale on FC

Remove this Banner Ad

Tells me Benny is fully behind Dimma and the reason we are going bad is because of our list which isn't far from the mark.
Had some shocking luck with injuries.
We can do it at full steam as Dimma has gotten us into finals two years running,something not achieved at the club for many a year.

Hird has a plentiful list at his disposal and is sitting2-2.
Where's the heat up his arse?
Also , we do not know how good the Dees Bullies will be so the soft draw talk is rubbish.

One positive is at least he is aware we need s small forward who attacks the bounce of the ball and a goal kicking midfielder.
Not sure why our recruit team doesnt see that.
I don't recall him saying or insinuating that , I thought he said we need mids who can go forward and small forward who can go into the midfield .

Yep. Shocked Me. He's usually so very good in this situation. He was very poor.

You could see what he was saying was not what he wanted to say. I sense Dimma may have issues.

Who wants Benny gone?

Not me. But I'll always state where he is making mistakes.

No one has ever put Benny under pressure before. He's had a long free ride.

Just like the way he played. He knew where to go to get soft marks around the ground :confused:

I don't recall him saying or insinuating that , I thought he said we need mids who can go forward and small forward who can go into the midfield .

He did mention that crumbing in our forward line is an area we are down in Or something along those lines.

Sure, you just don't hear other clubs come out and say it. They just plug a bloke in and play.
I could understand the hysteria if we had a full strength team on the park and fit healthy players in the vfl putting pressure on but the stark reality is we don't, we have had a horrendous run in the last 3 weeks with injury and people including the media expect this to not be an issue and not effect on field performances, FFS give me a spell.

Never quite understood the public line from the club (which he repeated again tonight) that we just want to see improvement each year. Really puts a ceiling on things, and an acceptance of early finals exits. Can't imagine hearing that from anyone at Port.
I guess at least this way we save the embarrassment of doing a Mick Malthouse :p

He spoke about a small forward aswell.

I could understand the hysteria if we had a full strength team on the park and fit healthy players in the vfl putting pressure on but the stark reality is we don't, we have had a horrendous run in the last 3 weeks with injury and people including the media expect this to not be an issue and not effect on field performances, FFS give me a spell.
Injuries don't excuse lack of effort and the terrible performances we dished out in Round 2 & 4.

Wow, in the #sackhardwick thread i haven't seen him mentioned. And honestly i forgot about him but remember now how much better we were with him around.
He's been mentioned a few times on why he Daly and Leppa were never replaced with the same level of experience instead we skimped on mainly rookies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Injuries don't excuse lack of effort and the terrible performances we dished out in Round 2 & 4.
Fair enough but I'll wait till we have players back and are still serving up that rubbish before blowing a gasket but I'm a realist who believes that dimma wants to drop some players due to bad form but can't because of our injuries.

I saw it as more straight forward than a few have posted (as in not all the hidden messages).

1. He fronted up to absorb some heat (i think this is good)
2. He said (well, my paraphrasing) the club is in this together from his role, to Dimma to the players. (I also think this is good and I believe him. No use hanging a guy out to dry with 2 years on a contract. Having said that, even Dimma would realise RFC has a job to do to a look at all options re: coaching. Benny's behind him until/if a more sensible coaching proposition comes along. That's just prudent business sense.)
3. Said we've had injuries and our depth is not as good as say Freo. Again, I think that is clear and a good response.
4. Mentioned we've come from a very difficult place with compromised drafts and having to turn the list over more aggressively than other clubs. Have shown improvement (again, support which is good)

Do agree he was getting a little testy with Hutchy and Caro. I've seen this before and didn't see it as that different to other times he's been quizzed about something that is not exactly going to plan. Mind you, not like he has the same self control gene as Al Clarkson ;-)

I think Hutchy brought out a good point in regards to the age gap between the coach and the players. A coach has to relate to the players very well nowadays, and many of the Gen Y generations have not grown up with tough parenting, so do not respond well to the "old school" way of coaching.

Judging the Richmond group from the outside, they do leave the impression that they want a "cool" coach. Not saying Hardwick isn't cool, but they probably want someone young that they can relate to very well and will ultimately play for. Kinda the way Essendon's crew are with James Hird.

The only older coaches that I could see the Richmond players play for at the moment would be Mark Williams (Choco) and Kevin Sheedy. None of the others to be honest.

I say that the Richmond should take a skilled young coach who had a good feel of the modern day game and at the same time can build a good relationship with the players if they get rid of Hardwick.

I think Hutchy brought out a good point in regards to the age gap between the coach and the players. A coach has to relate to the players very well nowadays, and many of the Gen Y generations have not grown up with tough parenting, so do not respond well to the "old school" way of coaching.

Judging the Richmond group from the outside, they do leave the impression that they want a "cool" coach. Not saying Hardwick isn't cool, but they probably want someone young that they can relate to very well and will ultimately play for. Kinda the way Essendon's crew are with James Hird.
Hardwick DOB: 18/08/72
Hird DOB: 04/02/73

I see what you mean

Yes the heat is on Dimma but what proven coach is out there at the moment that could do a better job. Only two I can think of is Choco Williams, who has his own battles at present and John Worsfold, who I can't see going back into coaching. I am a firm believer that Dimma has us on the right track, and I don't think going from coach to coach is going to help this list. Let him see out his contract and see where we are at. Firing him at some point this year will not have a positive effect on the list IMO.

Someone posted here last week Choco may be finishing up at years end. Not sure how good his mail is, but it makes sense given the health issues and the stresses of a footy club

As for worsfold, don't be shocked if he's a bluebagger soon. Blues board has been ride with rumours their new pres ain't a mick fan since day one. Rumours on line and from Carey on the weekend that they are gifting mick his milestone, a couple after, and then he's done. Worsfold has been linked to them in the past, and personally I think he's the candidate without a gig who would fit the profile the blues would be chasing.

Personally I still have concerns re: his reasons for quitting.

Not replying to you, but for those suggesting bomber, I agree with an earlier poster. His fingerprints were all over the efc mess, there is no chance imo they will let him coach again

Don't forget we offered Winderlich and Mitch Robinson spots on our lists but both decided not to come . That's really investing in the draft . Hardwick spins more than Wallace which is very disappointing

LOL Mitch Robinson wanted more money, we said no, so he went to Brisbane for more cash and a longer term. We only offered him one year on 50-7k a year or something silly like that. Club actually did ok with that as would anyone be happy having Mitch in the side ?

What I took out of it is that the club is not blind, Ben is fully aware We have zero depth. If we lose 2-3 of our starting 22 our C and D graders which we have many cant cover and our results are predictable, Ie s**t. Now we are paying for the compromised drafts but as well as not being as aggressive as we could have been come draft time.

The positive to me, is that we know we stuffed it last year and will 100% correct that come the end of year draft by being aggressive.

So it turns out the smartest thing you might of ever said was an accident?

Wayne Campbell has been a cancer at our club since the day he walked in. No way Gale has the ability to recruit a Lyon or a Roos or whoever the top 2 and gettable coaches are in the AFL, so he would resort to a gimmick that someone like yourself would fall all over themselves like bring in Wayne Campbell to do a Gieschen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back