Adam Simpson new WCE coach (now to end of 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe you should stop post skimming, my post was prefaced with "Simmo should be careful..." I am quite sure he knows that his job could be on the line by the results of our team in the next few years.

Fine, I apologise. You never said Simmo should be sacked.

**** me. Sack Simpson he is s**t. Nothing changed from worsfold. **** this s**t this team keeps dishing up from the same s**t players in the midfield.

Good call, quote something from during a game where people make comments all the time in game day frustrations.

Good call mate....

You are at it again. You just looooove that search function don't you.

Good call, quote something from during a game where people make comments all the time in game day frustrations.

Good call mate....

Thanks.

I'm a big fan of the search function, it helps immensely in demonstrating when people can't maintain a position.

Well you may remember Yeo, Sheed, Duggan, Shuey and Gaff running around back in 09 but I certainly cant.

Yeo is a HBF being rotated in.
Sheed is the one I mentioned.
Duggan a sub for 3 games.

Good points about Shuey and Gaff although they struggle to deliver in big games don't they?
My point is Masten and Priddis and a lesser extent Rosa.

Yeo is a HBF being rotated in.
Sheed is the one I mentioned.
Duggan a sub for 3 games.

Good points about Shuey and Gaff although they struggle to deliver in big games don't they?
My point is Masten and Priddis and a lesser extent Rosa.
Great call to name three when most clubs rotate up to a dozen players through the midfield.

Not sure why people always say 7 years of s**t. We've almost turned over the entire squad in that time. Teams like Freo are still playing guys from before that era.
Because apart of from a couple of years where a few of Kerr, Embley, Cox, Nic Nat and Darling played out of their minds we've been crap, especially in the midfield. Teams like Freo are competing for a premiership whilst we languish in mediocrity, they've kept the right players and turned over the mediocre ones, something which we've failed to do. Not Simpsons fault, and he's doing his best to change it, but we still have a lot of mediocrity on the list. Obviously you can't cut an entire team at once, but there's a lot left who shouldn't and won't be there moving forward.

I watched the game for the first time today, and I found it strange that Simpson had been complaining he wasn't able to play Yeo through the middle because we needed him down back, but then today Yeo spent a lot of time forward. I thought that if you don't need him down back, then he should be in the middle as much as possible.

I watched the game for the first time today, and I found it strange that Simpson had been complaining he wasn't able to play Yeo through the middle because we needed him down back, but then today Yeo spent a lot of time forward. I thought that if you don't need him down back, then he should be in the middle as much as possible.
I think that is a reflection of the Lions' lack of tall forwards. Simpson also played Rosa and Wellingham down back so it's likely that he was experimenting with other players to free yeo up. If Yeo is going to play midfield, it is better for him to rotate forward, rather than back. Well, at least that's what I think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was thinking something similar, he did rotate through a bit. Maybe doesn't have the fitness level built up to run through the midfield all game and easier to rotate off the forward line than off the backline where you're chasing someone all game.

uV6R0.gif

To be fair, we were all thinking along the same lines in that first quarter. Smotie just happened to put it into words. That was the most painful quarter of football I have sat through since I can remember.

He does have a point that Simpson's selection decisions (if they're even his decisions) haven't seemed to match up with what he's said about our midfield (and what everyone realises is the problem with our side), but you also have a point that apart from Colledge we don't have much in the way of back up.

Time will tell whether he continues to accept mediocre performances from guys like Masten with Hutchings back, and once Ellis and Selwood return from injury. If we start seeing Nelson/Duggan/Sheed dropped after one bad game to make room for these more senior players, while Masten and others are given multiple chances, then Smotie's posts (not the one from Derby day) would be somewhat vindicated

Was thinking something similar, he did rotate through a bit. Maybe doesn't have the fitness level built up to run through the midfield all game and easier to rotate off the forward line than off the backline where you're chasing someone all game.
It appears AS doesn't see him as a full time midfielder, yet he always seems to make things happen when he's on ball.

Don't see why it would be fitness, he's never had (?) an injury that would stop him running since he's been at WC, as far as i can remember. And he seems a natural runner.

I much prefer giving him time up forward compared with playing in defence though.

It appears AS doesn't see him as a full time midfielder, yet he always seems to make things happen when he's on ball.

Don't see why it would be fitness, he's never had (?) an injury that would stop him running since he's been at WC, as far as i can remember. And he seems a natural runner.

I much prefer giving him time up forward compared with playing in defence though.
Not fitness in general, just maybe not the tank to run out a game as a full time mid? Something that I'm sure will improve over the season if he gets to run through the middle more and more. Just speculating anyway, not basing it off anything really.

Not fitness in general, just maybe not the tank to run out a game as a full time mid? Something that I'm sure will improve over the season if he gets to run through the middle more and more. Just speculating anyway, not basing it off anything really.
Mmm it's a fair speculation - Yeo is an interesting one. I feel like he started both this and last season kinda sloppily but found form as he went. Interestingly I don't think he's ever been dropped, so the coaches obviously rate him.

Hopefully Ellis comes back and they keep up the Yeo -> half forward/midfield rotation. If he gets the ball on a HF flank with a bit of separation he becomes a dangerous avenue to goal because he can carry to the 50 and then look to hit up a short target rather than our usual tactic of bombing it to the top of the goal square from 70 m out.

Hey Smotie just get over the fact we're not that good mate, blame whoever but realize this....we are in the inbetween years of challenging for a flag and these down years make the the next flag sweeter. The 4th will come sooner than most think too, I think we only need one more drafting like last year and some game time into their legs and we'll be close.

When Adam Simpson came on, he talked about player versatility, and being able to do multiple roles. I have put a few of these changes from the last couple of seasons:
McGovern playing back as well as forward
Yeo in the midfield, HBF and pinch hitting KPD
Gaff playing inside mid as well as outside
Wellingham playing utility, tagging as well as the wing
Priddis playing inside mid as well as inside mid
Schofield playing KPD as well as third tall/rebounding defender
McInnes pinch hitting in the ruck and KPD as well as KPF
Sinclair resting KPF and KFP as well as rucking
Rosa tagging and HBF as well as wing
Cripps rotating through the midfield and as well as defensive forward
Darling rotating small minutes through the midfield
Lecras spending more minutes through the midfield

Any others I've missed?

Some of the suggestions here are a bit laughable, really.

Matt Priddis is not going to be ditched, unless he has a dramatic drop in form. Whatever his faults, whatever you might personally think of him, he's a bloody Brownlow medalist. No coach would drop him at the moment. All we can really expect, is to see his time in the middle reduced in favour of younger players like Sheed and Duggan.

Matt Rosa -- not sure why his name is being thrown about. Sure, he's no superstar, but he's a big body and experienced, versatile player. Against the Bulldogs, he pulled 27 touches. He then followed it against Carlton with a shutdown job on Chris Judd that had a huge impact on the game. Again, I can't imagine too many coaches that would have him on the chopping block... certainly not coaches with a cupboard as threadbare as ours.

Andrew Gaff? Averaged more than 24 disposals per game last year, and this year is averaging more than 27. Again, whatever your personal views on the guy, what coach in their right mind is going to drop a player with those sorts of stats... unless they have players in reserve banging down the door... which we don't.

As for Chris Masten -- yep, it's probably fair to say he's disappointing. But saying that he's been completely rubbish ever since being drafted simply isn't true. He came to the club with OP and struggled initially. He had a reasonable season back in 2012, and followed it up with a good 2013. No coincidence, that coincided with him breaking the 70+ game barrier... which a lot of pundits will tell you is about the time AFL players really start to find their feet. Go back and read some threads, and you'll see a lot of people commenting on how he'd finally turned a corner. Yep, he's regressed... and at the end of the season, he'll be trade bait. But again, without reserve players banging on the door... he's going to continue to get games in the near future, at least.

Wellingham -- yep, he's been a bit of a bust since being traded from Collingwood. At 26, with his experience he really should be a fixture in the side, but he's not. Then again, it's hard to say that Simpson hasn't sent Sharrod a pretty clear message when he HAS been dropped on a few occasions. Furthermore, Simpson has been experimenting with Wellingham a bit, and making him a more versatile player. If he responds well, then he'll keep his job. If not, well, like Masten, he'll be trade bait at the end of the year...

IMHO, Sheppard is a real worry. He's a first round pick, and just starting to get to the magical 70+ games experience. This SHOULD be his breakout year. He's hardly been disastrous, but he hasn't really done anything special, either. My guess is that this year, Simpson will be trying to give him as much an opportunity to prove himself as possible.

All up... there are probably quite a lot of players "on notice". But they can't all be dropped at once, and they can't all be turned over at the end of the year. We've already seen some fresh blood being given a chance this year, and I bet we'll see more dramatic changes at the end of the season. If McGinnity is playing a prominent role in the team mid- next year (assuming we don't have significant injuries), then yep, it's fair to say that Simpson has failed to really refresh the list.

In the meantime, can we give the guy a little break.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back