2011 List review - I made some bad calls and good calls.

Remove this Banner Ad

bigboysdontcry

All Australian
Apr 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hate to say it but the reality is we are just not good enough and can't match it with the best. The past few years was our window of opportunity and we just fell short after years of building.

We can't lie to ourselves now and try to be competitive because it will get us no where. We need to focus on a semi rebuild and clean out the list at the years end.

My view on the list and end of year changes:

Addison, Dylan - Will never be in the best 22 for a premiership contender, however is a decent backup with heart and would keep him on the list.

Boyd, Matthew- Good Leader, needs more support in the midfield and
retain as Captain to rebuild.

Cooney, Adam- Have to give him time to get over his injury and not play him for the sake of it. If he needs the rest of the year off, so be it. If we are going to push for contenders in the next few years, need him back to his best.

Cordy, Ayce - Haven't seen much of him but would definitely give him opportunities this season and have a bigger impact in 2012.

Cross, Daniel - Love the guys heart and courage but just can't see him fitting in the plans of rebuilding. Would offer him for trade at the years end.

Djerrkura, Nathan- Haven't seen much of him but another who should be given a chance this season to access if his part of the future.

Giansiracusa, Daniel - Tough call on Daniel, Sometimes I think his not good enough but does put in a good game when under pressure. I would see what his worth would be for a trade.

Gilbee, Lindsay - Has lost his speed to be the great half back that he once was. Still has ability but lack of consistency is his down fall and would also offer him for trade.

Grant, Jarrad - Believe he has a bright future as a half forward. Very quick and mobile for his height but will never been the big strong forward we hoped for.

Griffen, Ryan - He needs more support in the midfield, when we dont have others linking up, he tends to struggle. Great running player and i would develop him back at half back this year.

Hall, Barry - Gave us one great year but I think its time to thank him and move on. If we cant finish top 4, there is no point of playing him this year.

Hargrave, Ryan - Dont know where his at with injury, I'd give him another year as this season with his injury has been hard to judge.

Higgins, Shaun - Really rate him as a player but just hasnt got into it this season having no luck with injury. Believe he can be Elite in the competition but will need more support from others.

Hill, Josh - Frustrating player as he can really show his talent at times and went things aren't going well, he tends to go missing. Need to persist with him another year.

Hooper, Andrew - For what i have seen of him, I dont rate him up to AFL standard. Will make a decent VFL player for Willy.

Howard, Christian - Looks like a player of the future. Would play him for the rest of the year now and believe he'll be a 200 games player.

Hudson, Ben - Has given us a lot over the past years and would thank him and expect him to retire at the years end.

Jones, Liam - Can take a nice grab but his kicking lets him down. Would play him a CHB and develop him for the rest of the year.

Lake, Brian - Just doesn't look fit enough and lacks motivation. I would play him at full forward for the rest of this year and hopefully get something out of it.

Liberatore, Thomas- Rate the kid highly, and will play a big part in the future.

Markovic, Lukas - Tries hard but not up to AFL standard in my opinion.

Minson, William - Big Will, Is our number 1 ruckman now and just hope he can become the player that a lot dont think his capable of. Believe his a good backup ruckman but it's hard to come by an A grade Ruckman.

Moles, Brodie - Hasnt had a lot of opportunities, Believe his a good back up midfielder and should give another year.

Morris, Dale - Our best player this year and just need more players with his heart. With not around too much this year, has put massive pressure on Morris and he still doesn't let you down.

Murphy, Robert - All Class, Need more of him. I really like him down back and his cool under pressure and makes good decisions. Although he are missing a good half forward to lead up the ground.

Picken, Liam - Decent tagger, would keep him in the side as a sole tagger.

Reid, Sam - Haven't seen much of him this year. Looked underdown yesterday. Give him more time this year and see how he develops.

Roughead, Jordan - Need to play him his a lot more this season and see where his at. No point playing hudson now.

Sherman, Justin - Believe he'll be at his best when we get our run going again. Will be a great link up player. Need his speed in the midfield.

Skinner, Zephaniah - would give him game time this season and develop him.

Stack, Brennan - Hasnt caught my eye just yet, not sure if his capable of doing so. Would give him a few more chances.

Veszpremi, Patrick - Need to give him a game, Think he would be doing a lot better than others and could also play a part in the future.

Wallis, Mitchell - Let him play every game this season. Would play a big part in the future

Ward, Callan - One of our best players this year. Great leader, future captain, just hope the dogs offer him a nice contract to keep him here.

Williams, Tom - Need him around. Not easy to find a key position defender.

Wood, Easton - Has potential to be a good player. Needs to work on decision making and sharpen up his skills. Right frame and speed for the game.

Interesting there are a few correct calls and some no so correct. I cant help think that if calls were made earlier on some of these players we may be in a better position that we are now ?

Just found my 2012 Review...Cracked it after some terrible games and took it out on the list.....Lot better calls on the list than my 2011 review..

Review - Road to Success

Ok, we are kidding ourselves if we believe that we will be contenders in the next 3-4 years. We need to start planning for the future and make some tough calls. It's been a while since I've seen us play consistent turn over football. We have no Forward structure what so ever and need a complete rebuild by the years end. Otherwise, we can sit back and minor change the list and continue to struggle for years.

Addison, Dylan - Like his commitment, however, Prefer to move him on at years end.

Boyd, Matthew - One of best players, won't be apart of future success although we be a good leader for future Captains Wallis/Liberatore.

Cooney, Adam - Can't do much with him. Take a massive pay cut and keep him around as experience and a small forward for the future.

Cordy, Ayce - Play him as a backman, won't be a superstar but will hold down a position in a successful side as he improves.

Cross, Daniel - Like the guy but needs to be traded at the end of the year for a 3rd/4th Rounder. End of an era for a lot of those blokes in his age group.

Dahlhaus, Luke - Gun, one of the best pick ups over the past few years. Will be one of the better players in years to come.

Dickson, Tory - Not too sure about Tory. Need to see more of him.

Djerrkura, Nathan - I'm not a big fan although is showing a little more than most. Would keep him around as a backup option.

Giansiracusa, Daniel - One of the players that we need to make a tough call on. No positives to keep him around for on field success. Shake hands at years end and move him on. Delist/Trade

Gilbee, Lindsay - Should of been delisted last year. Won't be part of any future plans for success.

Grant, Jarrad - We all need to get over that he'll never be a star that we all hoped. No value in trading him and is young, need to hold on to him for now.

Griffen, Ryan - Our best player. Still young and need to build the midfield around him. A grader of the very few we have.

Hargrave, Ryan - Thanks for the service- Delist

Higgins, Shaun - Frustrating player. Really thought he was going to be a star of the competition. Won't get much if we trade him. Needs to play in the forward line and work on his 2nd/3rd efforts.

Hill, Tom - Heard some good things about him. Give him a go this year. Can't do much worse than the others up forward.

Hooper, Andrew - Delist

Howard, Christian - Believe we all over rate him. Personally don't think he'll be a star. Need to see more of him.

Jones, Liam - Really want to see him play CHB- Awkward kick for goal and will never really damage teams on kicking ability. Potential to become a great CHB.
Lake, Brian - No real positive for future plans. Can't get nothing for him at years end. Play him forward when possible so we can use Jones back.

Liberatore, Thomas - Will be part of our elite midfield in years to come. Play him week in week out.

Markovic, Lukas - His a real competitor although will never be part of a successful Premiership side. Backup

Minson, William - Might be worth some value at the end of the year to a team like GWS/G.C . Might be worth a trade for a 2nd Rounder.

Moles, Brodie - Didn't realise he was even on the list. Never really gets a go. Thought he did ok when given an opportunity.

Morris, Dale - Sad to say, Don't think he will be around when we are ready for success. Love the bloke and will stay at the club until his body can't go on. Hope his back on the track soon.

Mulligan, James - Delist

Murphy, Robert - Still think he has another 2-3 years of good football left in him. May be our Craig Bradley. One of the better players each week. Hope he can hang in there when we are ready to take the step up.

Panos, Matthew - Should be given a go this year. Nothing to lose. Need to find out more about the bloke to see if he can handle AFL.

Pearce, Daniel - ???

Picken, Liam - Keep him as a tagger

Roberts, Fletcher - ?

Roughead, Jordan - Will be our number 1 Ruckman, Think he will improve to become a good solid player.

Sherman, Justin - Adds speed to our midfield - Still fairly young. Part of the future.

Skinner, Zephaniah - Still not sure on him. Seems to go missing on reports i have heard and doesnt work hard enough.

Smith, Clay - Will be a good player. Very young and will play a big part of our elite midfield.

Talia, Michael - heard good reports. Needs to play games this year.

Tutt, Jason - Really got high hopes for this bloke. Hope to see him this year as I think he'll play a big part if the bulldogs will succeed in the coming years.

Veszpremi, Patrick - Still unsure on Pat, Need to see more of him this year.

Wallis, Mitchell - Will be part of our new era to take the bulldogs to the top.

Williams, Tom L. - Still have hopes for Tom. Believe he will still be around for our next hit at the top.

Wood, Easton - This bloke can frustrate me also. I see potential in him but does let me down with decision making and basic skill errors. Really has a go and I'm sure he can improve to be around for success.

Campbell, Tom - I'm going to add this bloke in here from the Rookie list. Really think we can persist with him this year as a full forward marking tall while Jones learns to become a CHB. Think Campbell should be given go this and believe he may become a surprise packet for the future.

Hopefully we can receive 2 Top 10 draft picks this year to really set us up for the future.

I think our future midfield looks very bright but really need to find a Forward key position prospect and Solid Key Back. Try and use a 2nd round pick on a Ruckman. The club needs to make tough calls and a total rebuild is the only way to succeed.

Brennan stack, do not know how he kept getting games.

During the pre-season they had a replay of a Geelong - Dogs game (cant remember when from), Stack was in everything - but just couldn't quite get a handle on the footy. He tackled, then fumbled the spilt ball. Ran hard into open space, then dropped the mark. Dodged/evaded 3 guys and took a snap for goal - and missed the ball.....

It was like he was either just a little bit overawed, or a bit worried about contact or a split second loss of focus....

If he was like this at training, but was able to execute - it's no wonder he got picked. It just (to me) seems a case of someone needing that little belief or something to click between the ears to be successful - and he just couldn't get it together....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back