Draft Review 2013 - Redo the 2013 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

What has Boyd done better than the names above him other than his contract?

I'm sure he will jump up in future but at this stage others have outperformed him
But at this stage, to me a to do a redo properly you need to look at upside as well as what they've achieved.

No-one would argue that say Brown and Boyd should have similar levels of upside....and that's just comparing KPF's!

Playing with potential is fine but once a player is drafted I like to judge them on current output with these redos.

Otherwise Jack watts can still be listed at one in terms of potential.

My top 10 right now

1 The Bont
2 Luke McDonald
3 Lewis Taylor
4 Josh Kelly
5 Cam McCarthy
6 Patrick Cripps
7 Jack Billings
8 Tom Langdon
9 Zach Merrett
10 Tom Boyd

Of course, I'll probably change my mind within a month, such a brilliant draft, so much depth, and several gems plucked outside the top 20 :)
While Billings and Kelly are undoubtedly talented; happy to admit that they have more talent than Merrett, I think he should be above the other two. Much like McDonald, Merrett plays a role for the Dons every week and does it outstandingly well.

These threads are incredibly stupid

After 2005 Nathan Jones would have been a top 10 pick , in 2010 he would barely make the top 40
Now he would make the top 5

These threads are captain hindsights who have less than 50 games data to predict off

on potential most likely

performance wise BB>>>>>>>>>>Boyd
It's not about who's done what to this point though, it's if the draft was held again today, who would you pick, knowing what we now know? So unless you're only picking someone for what they're going to do in the next year or two, you're still going to go for the one who you believe will have the better career and I think most would still tip Boyd to have the better career than Brown, hence they would pick Boyd first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a few years Boyd will make a lot of people look very silly. There's a reason he went #1, and a reason that the Dogs paid so much for him. Will be a very valuable player.

He'll have to be.............. :)

Seriously though, the 2013 crop seem like a very determined bunch.
Not that other years they aren't but this crop just seem to have all the right tools to make for great players.
Easily one of the better and deeper drafts in some years. The top 30 all look like players that will have a high number of games at careers end.

He'll have to be.............. :)

Seriously though, the 2013 crop seem like a very determined bunch.
Not that other years they aren't but this crop just seem to have all the right tools to make for great players.
Easily one of the better and deeper drafts in some years. The top 30 all look like players that will have a high number of games at careers end.

Deepest draft in recent years by a mile. Not only have the first rounders paid off pretty handsomely but there's plenty of success stories filtering all the way through with the middle and end of the national draft with Ben Brown, JKH, Langdon and Cutler and down into the rookie draft with Miles, Templeton, Turner, Cameron and Ambrose.

It's well on the way to going down as a super draft already, and we haven't heard a peep from 3 of the top 10 yet.

1. Bontompelli
2. Kelly
3. Boyd
4. McCarthy
5. Merrett
6. Billings
7. McDonald
8. Cripps
9. KK
10. Aish
11. Dunstan
12. Salem
13. Sheed
14. Gardiner
15. Brown

Aish worries me.
Have no idea what's going on with him and Brisbane but if bad habits are formed, they may be hard to get rid of.
The guy clearly has talent but sometimes when your football falls behind, it stays behind. Hope that's not the case.

Elliot Yeo, Jared Polec, Sam Docherty

But honestly.

1. Bontempelli
2. Cripps
3. McCarthy
4. Boyd
5. Kelly
6. Billings
7. Kolo
8. Dunstan
9. McDonald
Cant really pick a tenth. Maybe Aish if he gets his skill back from the Aliens from Space Jam
I would still take Bont, Kelly, Boyd, Billings, McCarthy, Kolodjasnij all ahead of Cripps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back