The never ending Priddis debate - part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's about 4 years longer than your AFL coaching career.
Pottering!!!

Been wondering when you would be back. I should have known it would be after the Fremantle debacle was gone and we won another game.

Question for you.
Since you quote the "experts" as coaches, commentators, selection committees can you clear up something for me.

The commentator in the Brisbane game said that Josh Green should not have been the sub but should have started the game for Brisbane and they might have had a chance with his input for a whole game.
The coach in Justin Leppitch made the call for him to be the sub.

Now which expert is correct given that the coach has been an expert for just over a year and the commentator has been one for many years.

I am wondering which "expert" to believe?

This is crucial in deciding which one to believ because Brad Johnson also made some comments about Priddis' disposal during the game. Given that he is an expert as well should we now start believing him?

Pottering!!!

Been wondering when you would be back. I should have known it would be after the Fremantle debacle was gone and we won another game.

Question for you.
Since you quote the "experts" as coaches, commentators, selection committees can you clear up something for me.

The commentator in the Brisbane game said that Josh Green should not have been the sub but should have started the game for Brisbane and they might have had a chance with his input for a whole game.
The coach in Justin Leppitch made the call for him to be the sub.

Now which expert is correct given that the coach has been an expert for just over a year and the commentator has been one for many years.

I am wondering which "expert" to believe?

This is crucial in deciding which one to believ because Brad Johnson also made some comments about Priddis' disposal during the game. Given that he is an expert as well should we now start believing him?
It's hard keeping track of so many experts, my non-AFL coaching mind can't handle it :drunk:

I guess we are all experts in our own way or so we may think but these forums wouldn't work
Everyone's got their own opinion, I just get annoyed when people advocate sticking with the same old plodders who've taken us to the bottom half of the ladder 5 out of the last 7 seasons, and soon to be 6 out of the last 8.

No, but that is besides the point. I am no footy professional, but obviously the coaches know what they are looking at. Just saying!

which coach?

does damien hardwick know what hes doing ? last year it seemed so - this year he might just get the sack - so last year he knew what he was doing - this year - notsomuch

what about mick malthouse - a few years ago - he was the doyen - the whole of bigfooty was mocking collingwood for getting rid of him - now the whole of bigfooty is mocking him as past it - is it obvious that he knows what hes doing?

at what point do you decide they dont know what they are doing - if the coaches all knew exactly what they were doing they would never be sacked and the afl dictated rotation of clubs fro premiers to wooden spooners and back again would be like clockwork.

they all dont - they dont - they are - and it doesnt

which coach?

does damien hardwick know what hes doing ? last year it seemed so - this year he might just get the sack - so last year he knew what he was doing - this year - notsomuch

what about mick malthouse - a few years ago - he was the doyen - the whole of bigfooty was mocking collingwood for getting rid of him - now the whole of bigfooty is mocking him as past it - is it obvious that he knows what hes doing?

at what point do you decide they dont know what they are doing - if the coaches all knew exactly what they were doing they would never be sacked and the afl dictated rotation of clubs fro premiers to wooden spooners and back again would be like clockwork.

they all dont - they dont - they are - and it doesnt
Not to mention Voss, he really screwed that Brisbane team up big time. Then this year you also have Eade and Leppitsch. Experts.

#returntheexperts

Not to mention Voss, he really screwed that Brisbane team up big time. Then this year you also have Eade and Leppitsch. Experts.

but hang on.

voss- i know he got sacked - so is therefore no longer an expert =- wasnt there an massive call on this very board for us to hire him as the midfield coach

or was that another board in a parallel universe?

nah - maybe not - but whats this - he got hired at another club - maybe he is an expert after all.

its just so confusing for little old me ........

but hang on.

voss- i know he got sacked - so is therefore no longer an expert =- wasnt there an massive call on this very board for us to hire him as the midfield coach

or was that another board in a parallel universe?

nah - maybe not - but whats this - he got hired at another club - maybe he is an expert after all.

its just so confusing for little old me ........
I think the general rule according to pottering is, once a coach always an expert. Same goes for anyone with a vague association with football at all, I saw Andrew Gaze on fox footy at the pub today, now an AFL expert.

I think the general rule according to pottering is, once a coach always an expert. Same goes for anyone with a vague association with football at all, I saw Andrew Gaze on fox footy at the pub today, now an AFL expert.

By the same token brayshaw is and expert. He's on the footy show and is the Chairman at north after a cricket career.
But he is an expert at footy now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone's got their own opinion, I just get annoyed when people advocate sticking with the same old plodders who've taken us to the bottom half of the ladder 5 out of the last 7 seasons, and soon to be 6 out of the last 8.
We finished in the top half of the ladder last season;)

And happy with our output during that time are you?

Why does the Priddis thread make everyone see things in black and white. We've had ups and downs (I would say way more downs from 2013 onwards, but certainly some ups in 2011 and 2012), and this year is when I expected that we'd start seeing changes from Simpson.

So far, that's been the case - if not totally revolutionary, he's still debuted four players in our first four games, played players out of position to get Yeo in the midfield, brought in Hill for McGinnity. The only questionable decision IMO was Colledge vs Masten for the Bulldogs, but while Masten still underperformed in that game the same happened to Colledge when he was tagged by a WAFL tagger. Based on those that have watched WAFL, Colledge isn't likely to be best 22 in a premiership side so I'm not sure if this really amounts to that much.

Once Hutchings and/or Selwood are back from injury and put their hands up for selection, Masten might find his spot gone if he hasn't improved. I would still prefer to see him as sub before then for shock value though.

One of Ellis, Darling, Newman and Lamb could also potentially push Masten out of the side too if Hutchings and Selwood don't.

Oh, and back on topic - as of the start of this season, I think Priddis has been decent - not going to get us to a premiership, but also better than at least 5 others each week. Can't see him getting dropped this seasons TBH unless Waterman comes on in leaps and bounds.

Why does the Priddis thread make everyone see things in black and white. We've had ups and downs (I would say way more downs from 2013 onwards, but certainly some ups in 2011 and 2012), and this year is when I expected that we'd start seeing changes from Simpson.

So far, that's been the case - if not totally revolutionary, he's still debuted four players in our first four games, played players out of position to get Yeo in the midfield, brought in Hill for McGinnity. The only questionable decision IMO was Colledge vs Masten for the Bulldogs, but while Masten still underperformed in that game the same happened to Colledge when he was tagged by a WAFL tagger. Based on those that have watched WAFL, Colledge isn't likely to be best 22 in a premiership side so I'm not sure if this really amounts to that much.

Once Hutchings and/or Selwood are back from injury and put their hands up for selection, Masten might find his spot gone if he hasn't improved. I would still prefer to see him as sub before then for shock value though.

One of Ellis, Darling, Newman and Lamb could also potentially push Masten out of the side too if Hutchings and Selwood don't.

Oh, and back on topic - as of the start of this season, I think Priddis has been decent - not going to get us to a premiership, but also better than at least 5 others each week. Can't see him getting dropped this seasons TBH unless Waterman comes on in leaps and bounds.
Whilst I agree with most of what you've said what does it have to do with my original comments and the conversation that was happening?

which bit was ok - the clangers count - the complete lack of defensive pressure part, the bit where he was pantsed by judd - or fyfe?

Whilst I agree with most of what you've said what does it have to do with my original comments and the conversation that was happening?

Your question ("And happy with our output during that time are you?") just seemed set up to be polarizing (yes/no). I think the story of our midfield development is a bit more nuanced than "we've gone nowhere/backwards" or "we're fine don't worry".

which bit was ok - the clangers count - the complete lack of defensive pressure part, the bit where he was pantsed by judd - or fyfe?

Sorry, should of said relatively decent. Relative to the rest of our team, many of whom are also guilty of those flaws.

Your question ("And happy with our output during that time are you?") just seemed set up to be polarizing (yes/no). I think the story of our midfield development is a bit more nuanced than "we've gone nowhere/backwards" or "we're fine don't worry".

Sorry, should of said relatively decent. Relative to the rest of our team, many of whom are also guilty of those flaws.
Not really, it's a simple question, are you happy with what we as a team have produced in the last 7 seasons? Because I'm not, we've mostly either gone backwards or treaded water in certain areas and the final result has been 2 ok seasons on the back of a few of our old premiership stars and a couple of young guns, and 5 pretty poor seasons.

That doesn't mean I'm not happy with some of the things Simpson has brought to the team and our recruiting last year but there's still a lot of crap to get rid of and a lot of mediocre players who get a free pass by the coaches and some around here. But this is a separate issue as to whether I am happy with what we've done on the whole for the last 7 seasons.

what other teams midfields look like

oh hang on - thats our midfield - wait wAt?? our midfield doesnt look like that

well it does - just for a few minutes a game

Amazing to watch an Eagles mid not s****ing the bed when confronted by a tackler after winning a hard ball! Too often we see our players attempting to handball before making contact which would have been knocked down by the Brisbane player or had Duggan caught flat footed. Instead Yeo stepped inside, making more space for Duggan and rode the tackle like a boss :D Handy kick from Hacksaw too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back