Preview AFL Round 5 - Richmond vs Geelong, MCG, 1:45PM Saturday 2 May

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Revenge is a dish best served cold. Ah, stuff it! I'll take it any way- hot, warm, cold, frozen. I don't care.
We have a grudge to settle with a few clubs yet- Hawthorn (plenty of bad blood there but I'd be happy to beat them in 10 GFs by a point each time), then West Coast (Hate hate hate), Carlton, the Pies, who else?

That's why I loved the 2011 finals series. We were getting payback all over the place.

Well, that'll tell us who the fair dinkum supporters are.
I know a fair few who are jumping off due to the ticketing system. A member shouldn't have to wait in line for an hour to pay nothing just so they can get a ticket to enter.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
I know a fair few who are jumping off due to the ticketing system. A member shouldn't have to wait in line for an hour to pay nothing just so they can get a ticket to enter.

Agree with that.

But those who jump off simply based on results don't contribute to the fabric of the club.

BlightysCats

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2013
Northcote
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Phil Opiontube Phillies
B: Bews, Lonergan, Rivers
HB: Thurlow, Taylor, Enright
C: Guthrie, Duncan, Motlop
HF: Johnson, Clark, Gregson
F: Cockatoo, Walker, Lang
Followers: Stanley, Selwood, Gore
Interchange: Kelly, Blicavs, Murdoch, Caddy
Out: GHS, Hawkins.
In: Lonergan, Gore

Can't play three up forward it's just too easy for the opposition to bring it out. Gore in for speed and grunt in the middle and keeping Murdoch in to add speed and forward line pressure with with Lang, Gregson, Guthrie, and Cocky.
Hawkins out to take some time out for a bit (no doubt I'll get a lot of eye rolling for this one but don't care.)

SleazySimon

Club Legend
May 23, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I think Bews, Thurlow and Enright are good enough in defence without the need for Kelly helping out back there. I would like to see Gore get a run through midfield. That should happen if Kelly is managed this week.

I would also like to pump games into Josh Walker. Yes, he has his haters, but he needs to get upto about 40 games by seasons end. We should have a really good idea as to whether or not he is made for it. If not, he will have better currency for trade.
However, Clark moved into the middle as our no.1 ruck would open up a spot for Walker down forward. He looks a much better player when he's just got Hawkins beside him.
Walker has only played 19 games. Done more at this stage than many others. Play him for the rest of the year.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
B: Bews, Lonergan, Rivers
HB: Thurlow, Taylor, Enright
C: Guthrie, Duncan, Motlop
HF: Johnson, Clark, Gregson
F: Cockatoo, Walker, Lang
Followers: Stanley, Selwood, Gore
Interchange: Kelly, Blicavs, Murdoch, Caddy
Out: GHS, Hawkins.
In: Lonergan, Gore

Can't play three up forward it's just too easy for the opposition to bring it out. Gore in for speed and grunt in the middle and keeping Murdoch in to add speed and forward line pressure with with Lang, Gregson, Guthrie, and Cocky.
Hawkins out to take some time out for a bit (no doubt I'll get a lot of eye rolling for this one but don't care.)

I don't think they're bringing it out any easier than when we were playing only 2 forwards, BC. Do you?

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Interesting game against a mid team that has threatened to beat us the last few years, yet our better experience and composure has gotten us the points. Despite many calling for Cockatoo to be sent to the 2's I would keep him in just because of the MCG factor. Give him, Lang and Gregson a good run at the G and hopefully they can find more space.

You mean like they found in Round 1 versus Hawthorn?

catman2006

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sunderland & Penrith
How about?

Out: Walker (omitted); Murdoch (omitted); Cocky (rested); Kelly (rested).
In: Lonergan; Blease; Gore; Smedts.

Agree somewhat feel for Walker was never going to be good playing 3 talls and I would leave Murdoch in and take out Lang I believe Murdoch on a wing and tell him to kick long to a 1 on 1 contest and to run his guts out on the bigger MCG width wise

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
How about?

Out: Walker (omitted); Murdoch (omitted); Cocky (rested); Kelly (rested).
In: Lonergan; Blease; Gore; Smedts.

Don't have a major problem with it*, but I'd call Cockatoo and Kelly what they are - omitted.

(* Don't think Walker should be dropped after two games, but if they play Clark up forward I don't see an alternative either)

catman2006

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sunderland & Penrith
Don't have a major problem with it*, but I'd call Cockatoo and Kelly what they are - omitted.

(* Don't think Walker should be dropped after two games, but if they play Clark up forward I don't see an alternative either)
Yeah the perception that the team is out of balance maybe time to get Mac back in the guts and have stanley the sub for run not sure what is the correct balance at the moment

Mahlepi

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2015
danger zone
AFL Club
Geelong

they need to play hawkins and clark deep
and walker and kersten high
with stokes and sj in there with them

need a forward line that can mark and kick

the mids need higher targets

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
they need to play hawkins and clark deep
and walker and kersten high
with stokes and sj in there with them

need a forward line that can mark and kick

the mids need higher targets

That forward line might be able to mark and kick. But it can't run. You think our defensive pressure is bad now (and it is), put that group up forward and watch what happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mahlepi

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2015
danger zone
AFL Club
Geelong
That forward line might be able to mark and kick. But it can't run. You think our defensive pressure is bad now (and it is), put that group up forward and watch what happens.
at least we will be able mark and score

clark looks good, but he should be rotated with walker, or ruck for us
kersten is gone, and will be gone for nicks

BlightysCats

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2013
Northcote
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I don't think they're bringing it out any easier than when we were playing only 2 forwards, BC. Do you?
Hence why my team loses a big forward and gains Gore as an extra mid so that Murdoch, Cocky, Lang, Gregson and Motlop are all options to go up forward to put some pressure on. Though really I'd ideally like only one big forward on the ground at anytime and for us to play a counter attacking game plan. Quick, simple ball movement, to quick simple footballers.

SleazySimon

Club Legend
May 23, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Comments here are quickly revealing which generation many of the posters belong to.

I'd hate to see how some on here would've carried on if they'd been around to support the club through the Dark Ages.

Just 3 short years whilst transitioning and they want Scott hung, shot, drawn and quartered (did I miss anything?) for failing a premiership - can you imagine the hysteria and tantrums if they were around through the 70's and 80's??
So wondering about coaching decisions is having an hysterical tantrum and it means you want him sacked, hung drawn and quartered?

we bomb it to the square 99.99% of the time.
So far this season that seems a conservative estimate;)

Once NM put a man behind the ball (and we played similarly) they lowered their eyes more often. we just bombed away, time and time again...

I guess. Dunno mate, just sense we have internal issues happening again. Something's just not right with the group. I can accept we no longer have the cattle, can accept the continuing injuries, but when players are making basic fundamental errors, and are unwilling to support their teammate if they are in a wrestle behind play, or show very little hurt at the end of games . . . you know the culture is back to an all time low.
Caddy looked terrific during the summer updates. The videos and the photos the club kept on updating us with showed a player in ripping condition. People who would go and watch open sessions commented on how ready he looks.
Come the real stuff, he's just been a complete shell of the player we saw at the end of last year. Why?

It ain't just him mate. It's very demoralizing. In regards to waving the white flag, a loss this weekend, and it's almost season over.
I agree that this week is a must win. I bet Tigers are confident.

BlightysCats

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2013
Northcote
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
So far this season that seems a conservative estimate;)

Once NM put a man behind the ball (and we played similarly) they lowered their eyes more often. we just bombed away, time and time again...
They lowered their eyes once or twice but really they got us on the counter and were easily able to pick out North players on their own inside their forward 50. Where as when we laboured forward our forward 50 was flooded with 20,000 Geelong forwards and North Defenders leaving absolutely no space for forwards to move in to.

Last edited:

Lana

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
GWS
The problem is none of our key forwards lead, and even if they do, we bomb it to the square 99.99% of the time.

It's hard to lead when the F50 has 30 players in it and everyone in front of you is static. The players are worried about trying to hit target with a short kick I50 as if it get turned over we are really vulnerable to a quick counter attack. These two things are both related and can be fixed up with a tinkering of the running patterns of our forwards when a player takes a mark 70 meters out. Players 35-50 meters out from goal need to lead out of our forward 50, This should force there opponent to follow them, if they don't they take a contest mark closer to goal. If they do follow our forward then it should open some space for another player to lead into. The plan is simple but the coordination between players and the precise kicking needed is the issue. If everyone is static we should just switch the ball a few times just to get the players moving.

I'm not really worried about our forwards defensive pressure since we're not using a forward press. Having in a third key position forward won't makes us any worse then we were last year with our forward pressure when we had a single key tall. We rarely tried to keep it in our F50. When a turnover occurs(and the other side attempts a quick counter attack from when both sides have flooded into there D50) there is a point where the guy with the ball lacks support and has no one to kick to (since all of the players run back to help out in the D50) it's left up to a defender (who like almost everyone in the attacking side has moved forward to ensure that there team isn't outnumbered) to apply the "frontal" pressure. Plenty of people disliked Varcoe but when a counter attack occurred it was his job to delay the ball carrier (to give our players time to run back), a job he was good at. We might be grooming Murdoch for that role but to I'm not sure about that yet (I'll be more sure about it after watching a few more games).

Moggy

Premiership Player
Sep 7, 2012
Oslo
AFL Club
Geelong
Can't see us as anything better than a 50/50 chance this week.

Lots of tough selection calls to make. Plenty of players that need to improve. Plenty for the coaches to work on.

Lose this and the media will go to town on the "end of era" story. Hopefully they get it out of their system as it's getting very old.

Would love another gutsy win with young guys stepping up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back