VFL Seniors - Season 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

1992edfl2012

Senior List
May 25, 2012
northen subs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Let's ignite some chat about the upcoming VFL season. Has anyone watched any teams' pre-season games to date? seen anything noteworthy? Who do we expect to be their when the whips are cracking?

One week away!
Unfortunately I haven't managed to get to any practice games this year.
Hoping to get along to a few Box Hill games again this year.

What is the logic to the delayed start to the VFL season?? I would have thought the AFL clubs would need there reserve players playing to push for selection and to cover injuries.. Even most local comps are already in full swing and the TAC cup is 4 rounds in..

Surely Sandy are in with a good title shot this season - they have a strong list of Sandy players and improving St Kilda youngsters which should stand them in good stead.

Once again, Footscray, Box Hill and Port Melbourne will probably be the teams to beat but I give Sandy a red hot chance at the flag.

what was the biggest "upset" of round 1?
No real upsets, the biggest surprise was the margin between Northern Blues and Williamstown. I know after 1 round is cheating but I'd expect the top 6 to be fairly clear cut:

Box Hill, Footscray, Port Melbourne, Williamstown, Essendon, Sandringham

Then these teams fighting out the last 2 spots of the 8:

Geelong, Werribee, North Ballarat, Collingwood, Coburg

And these teams looking at the bottom of the ladder:

Richmond, Northern Blues, Casey and Frankston

Round 2.

Werribee beating North Ballarat was a 50/50 so not unsurprising.
I would have thought Port would beat Northern Blues by more, but they're better than I thought.
Frankston are crap so no surprises Richmond thrashed them. Geelong should account for them next week.
Essendon have the stronger VFL listed players so not surprising they beat Collingwood, maybe should have won by more.
Footscray are good, Casey aren't so an expected result
Box Hill have played the past 2 GF's so unsurprising that they accounted for the Lions, although Coburg would be encouraged with that performance.
Williamstown bring Sandringham back to earth, they'll be contenders this season.

So, the ladder currently looks like this:

POS TEAM PTS
1 Werribee Tigers 20
2 Williamstown 16
3 Box Hill Hawks 16
4 Port Melbourne 16
5 Footscray Bulldogs 12
6 Casey Scorpions 12
7 Sandringham 12
8 Essendon 12
9 Collingwood 12
10 Richmond Tigers 8
11 Northern Blues 8
12 Geelong Cats 8
13 Coburg 8
14 North Ballarat 8
15 Frankston 0

The big surprise so far seems to be Werribee. I don't think too many people would have predicted them to be travelling so well, albeit still early in the year.

Otherwise all of the other premiership contenders are up there, with poor Frankston winless at the bottom.

Have you learnt anything so far?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Casey have been the surprise for me. Werribee had an easy early draw early and will taper off to the bottom half of the 8 as the season goes on.

Very even season so far. Going to be a good round this week, two games that could alter the fate of the top 4.

Box Hill to go down to Port Melbourne by 5 goals
Sandringham to account for North Ballarat comfortably
Werribee will smash Richmond
Casey and Collingwood will be interesting, I'm leaning towards Casey
Essendon to account for Geelong comfortably
Footscray to overcome Williamstown in a good battle
Coburg to account for Northern Blues in the old VFA rivalry

Which will leave the ladder as:

Port, Werribee, Footscray, Williamstown, Box Hill, Essendon, Sandringham, Casey, Collingwood, Coburg, Richmond, Northern, Geelong, North Ballarat, Frankston

Very even season so far. Going to be a good round this week, two games that could alter the fate of the top 4.

Box Hill to go down to Port Melbourne by 5 goals
Sandringham to account for North Ballarat comfortably
Werribee will smash Richmond
Casey and Collingwood will be interesting, I'm leaning towards Casey
Essendon to account for Geelong comfortably
Footscray to overcome Williamstown in a good battle
Coburg to account for Northern Blues in the old VFA rivalry

Which will leave the ladder as:

Port, Werribee, Footscray, Williamstown, Box Hill, Essendon, Sandringham, Casey, Collingwood, Coburg, Richmond, Northern, Geelong, North Ballarat, Frankston
God I hope so!

Box Hill were impressive, winning by 55 points.

Not much in the way of results filtering through from Ballarat.

Werribee are belting Richmond.
Casey and Collingwood is a close one.

And at half-time Essendon are a mile up on Geelong

Sandy beat North Ballarat by 27 points in a low-scoring encounter. Sounds like Sandy butchered heaps of chances.

Casey overcame a three-quarter time deficit to beat Collingwood by 13 points.

At the halfway point of the year, the ladder stands at:

Box Hill (7W, 1L, 140%)
Essendon (6W, 3L, 138%)
Williamstown (6W, 3L, 129%)
Sandringham (6W, 3L, 113%)
Werribee (6W, 4L, 112%)
Port Melbourne (6W, 3L, 111%)
Footscray (5W, 3 L, 143%)
Casey (5W, 4L, 107%)
Collingwood (5W, 4L, 104%)
Geelong (4W, 5L, 87%)
Northern (3W, 6L, 94%)
Coburg (3W, 6L, 79%)
North Ballarat (3W, 7L, 64%)
Richmond (2W, 7L, 90%)
Frankston (0W, 9L, 54%)

This week I expect these results:

Williamstown to account for Richmond comfortably to get back the loss against Box Hill
Box Hill to smash Collingwood, being the benchmark of the competition right now
Essendon to account for Port Melbourne given the difference in form between the two sides
Northern to account for Frankston comfortably, who are embarrassing right now
Footscray to beat Sandringham and launch themselves into the top 4.

The following round will be interesting for several sides, Williamstown vs Essendon and Collingwood vs Sandringham two matches to take an interest in.

At the halfway point of the year, the ladder stands at:

Box Hill (7W, 1L, 140%)
Essendon (6W, 3L, 138%)
Williamstown (6W, 3L, 129%)
Sandringham (6W, 3L, 113%)
Werribee (6W, 4L, 112%)
Port Melbourne (6W, 3L, 111%)
Footscray (5W, 3 L, 143%)
Casey (5W, 4L, 107%)
Collingwood (5W, 4L, 104%)
Geelong (4W, 5L, 87%)
Northern (3W, 6L, 94%)
Coburg (3W, 6L, 79%)
North Ballarat (3W, 7L, 64%)
Richmond (2W, 7L, 90%)
Frankston (0W, 9L, 54%)

This week I expect these results:

Williamstown to account for Richmond comfortably to get back the loss against Box Hill
Box Hill to smash Collingwood, being the benchmark of the competition right now
Essendon to account for Port Melbourne given the difference in form between the two sides
Northern to account for Frankston comfortably, who are embarrassing right now
Footscray to beat Sandringham and launch themselves into the top 4.

The following round will be interesting for several sides, Williamstown vs Essendon and Collingwood vs Sandringham two matches to take an interest in.

I know I'm biased, but I wouldn't be so sure about Footscray beating Sandy. Footscray haven't reached the form that they did last year for some reason and Sandy in the couple of weeks prior to the bye notched up a couple of good wins.

Box Hill are scary though, at this stage it's hard to see who will seriously challenge them. Obviously things can change quickly with injuries and having a few less AFL-listed players in the team, but they would have to be premiership favourites by quite a margin now.

I know I'm biased, but I wouldn't be so sure about Footscray beating Sandy. Footscray haven't reached the form that they did last year for some reason and Sandy in the couple of weeks prior to the bye notched up a couple of good wins.

Box Hill are scary though, at this stage it's hard to see who will seriously challenge them. Obviously things can change quickly with injuries and having a few less AFL-listed players in the team, but they would have to be premiership favourites by quite a margin now.
It's an interesting one, the three stand out sides so far are Box Hill, Williamstown and Essendon (who are an umpiring away from being level with BH :p), but it's definitely one of the two matches to watch this week, along with Essendon vs Port.

Willy v Essendon at Burbank oval 12pm on Saturday.
Willy's first televised game for the year. Match of the round.
Lots of kids activities there if you're thinking of attending.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back