List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Draft, Rookie Draft and FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not sure if were a lock for tge spoon this year any more. Yes we've been very poor but we've also got a lot of talent that are coming back into the side soon and brisbane / GC are playing very very poorly. All this talk of spoons and priority picks could really be mute in 2 months.

If we win 4 or less games, the AFL will be forced to take a serious look at giving us a PP, regardless of who may be below us on the ladder. Say we win 4 games for the season, thats only 13 wins in 3 seasons (66 games).... They should give us a PP. If we only win 3 games, you could just about lock it in that they will give us a PP

Huddo on the SuperFooty podcast said that we are 'reasonably confident' that Treloar will be playing for us next year (it was also mentioned that Shiel will be at Richmond next year).

All I will take from that is that we are firmly in his ear.

Also means we have to start showing improvement as a team at years end to show that we are a team on the rise, a team worth leaving GWS for. Confident this will happen as well.
Love the notion. Do we think Pre Season Draft?? GWS wont like losing their two best mids.... and one for probably nothing..

Love the notion. Do we think Pre Season Draft?? GWS wont like losing their two best mids.... and one for probably nothing..
The AFL would grant us a Priority Pick under undisclosed conditions it be used in trade for Treloar. Thats the way I see it anyhow

Huddo on the SuperFooty podcast said that we are 'reasonably confident' that Treloar will be playing for us next year (it was also mentioned that Shiel will be at Richmond next year).

All I will take from that is that we are firmly in his ear.

Also means we have to start showing improvement as a team at years end to show that we are a team on the rise, a team worth leaving GWS for. Confident this will happen as well.

link?

Watched Brad Scott on the couch last night and something he said was interesting, (yes really :p)

He talked about 5 years ago when he had a 20/21 year old ruck in Goldstein and a midfield comprising of 3 lots of 18/19 year old mids like Cunnington, Swallow, etc.

Kind of what we have with Longer, Dunstan, Billings, McCartin, Goddard, Acres etc isn't it? (I mean quality of players not necessarily they are all mids)

Look at North now....Goldstein arguably the top 2 rucks if not the best in the league currently and North's midfield doing pretty well also. That will be us in 5 years I have no doubt that these players will come on nicely.

People just have to show patience, (I'm not saying we'll have to wait 5 years - we'll see improvement well before then) but I hope you guys get my point? Pretty sure 5 years ago those North players were only showing glimpses and would play in patches and now look at them.

Hopefully this year we get Treloar, a priority pick, (pick up the two Darcy's) as well as another mid 1st round pick by trading out one more player and then bang!! We'll start to have a really good young list with a nice spread of age (under 24). Now all we have to do is wait for another 3 years or so to ensure they all get to that 100 game mark and we'll really start going places.

I'm excited...

Watched Brad Scott on the couch last night and something he said was interesting, (yes really :p)

He talked about 5 years ago when he had a 20/21 year old ruck in Goldstein and a midfield comprising of 3 lots of 18/19 year old mids like Cunnington, Swallow, etc.

Kind of what we have with Longer, Dunstan, Billings, McCartin, Goddard, Acres etc isn't it? (I mean quality of players not necessarily they are all mids)

Look at North now....Goldstein arguably the top 2 rucks if not the best in the league currently and North's midfield doing pretty well also. That will be us in 5 years I have no doubt that these players will come on nicely.

People just have to show patience, (I'm not saying we'll have to wait 5 years - we'll see improvement well before then) but I hope you guys get my point? Pretty sure 5 years ago those North players were only showing glimpses and would play in patches and now look at them.

Hopefully this year we get Treloar, a priority pick, (pick up the two Darcy's) as well as another mid 1st round pick by trading out one more player and then bang!! We'll start to have a really good young list with a nice spread of age (under 24). Now all we have to do is wait for another 3 years or so to ensure they all get to that 100 game mark and we'll really start going places.

I'm excited...

Hopefully we wind up a bit better than North though. I struggle to see them really contending for a premiership.

I'm starting to worry about our 2012 draft to be honest.

Lee - major question marks

Hickey - overtaken by Longer it seems but have faith he can make it back

White - Does he have the desire?

Wright - I like him but really needs to work on his kicking. Will make it though I think

Murdoch: I'm hopeful he can make it but hasn't really shown much at AFL level when given the chance. Although round 23 last year when subbed on he was good

Saunders: Disposal is a worry. But hopefully can come good.

Pierce: Won't judge him being a skinny ruckman.

Just think there is some major question marks over most of those players. Maybe I'm just overthinking though.

Those players above are the ones we need to come on by now being in their 3rd seasons. But really only one/two look most likely in Wright and Hick.

For example last year in their 3rd seasons Newnes, Ross and Webster were all best 22 you could argue. Still only early days though I guess.

Last edited:
Hopefully we wind up a bit better than North though. I struggle to see them really contending for a premiership.

Yes of course we all hope that but my point I guess was how players start as being inconsistent and playing in patches and can improve to the point of being very good players, elite, and even the best in the competition in their position....

Agree re North - they lack 2 to 3 quality players to being a top 3 side....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lee - major question marks

Hickey - overtaken by Longer it seems but have faith he can make it back

White - Does he have the desire?

Wright - I like him but really needs to work on his kicking. Will make it though I think

Murdoch: I'm hopeful he can make it but hasn't really shown much at AFL level when given the chance. Although round 23 last year when subbed on he was good

Saunders: Disposal is a worry. But hopefully can come good.

Pierce: Won't judge him being a skinny ruckman.

Just think there is some major question marks over most of those players. Maybe I'm just overthinking though.

Those players above are the ones we need to come on by now being in their 3rd seasons. But really only one/two look most likely in Wright and Hick.

For example last year in their 3rd seasons Newnes, Ross and Webster were all best 22 you could argue. Still only early days though I guess.
Been looking at this draft & thinking the same thing. It's not looking very crash hot is it?!

Sadly at present, the best player we have from this draft IMO is Membrey, who was selected by Sydney with the pick we threw them for TDL.

Been looking at this draft & thinking the same thing. It's not looking very crash hot is it?!

Sadly at present, the best player we have from this draft IMO is Membrey, who was selected by Sydney with the pick we threw them for TDL.
Let's hope that changes soon though.. Really need the guys from this draft to step up IMO

Let's hope that changes soon though.. Really need the guys from this draft to step up IMO
At least we can look back at the draft of 2009 & compare it to 2012 & realise that things could be a *-load worse....

Lovett x
Winmar x
Pattison x
J. Smith x
Johnson x
Dawson x
Miles x
Hutchings (r) x
Archer (r) x
Allen (r) x
L. Fisher (r) x
T. Walsh (r) x

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

* me that was a bad year of recruitment! :(

Did alright with the picks we had IMO. 2012 was a shocking draft with all the concessions, after about pick 20 there's pretty much nothing we missed out on.

Is it just me or is his kicking going backwards? I love the way the bloke attacks the ball and man and breaks the lines but this year he seems to have lost even more confidence in his kicking than previously, and it was never a strength. Some of it was approaching Jack Daniel's level on the weekend, you had to cover your eyes when he was about to kick :eek:.

Last edited:
Did alright with the picks we had IMO. 2012 was a shocking draft with all the concessions, after about pick 20 there's pretty much nothing we missed out on.
Yeah, very fair call.

But trading pick 12 & 13 though is where we could have maybe done better. But even then few players from 12-23 are hardy playing much either.

Yeah, very fair call.

But trading pick 12 & 13 though is where we could have maybe done better. But even then few players from 12-23 are hardy playing much either.

You do have a point re 2012 but our list was so dire and we had so many holes that we had to get more players on our list that we could at least work with, especially talls. The reason we went with Hickey and Lee was that they were 2-3 years in the system so in theory they weren't as far away from playing as say a raw 18 year old like Lonergan or Jaksch at that time.

Wright has some good tools that can be improved. White we pinched from Collingwood who were dirty that they missed out on him and the rest, well, you don't get them all right I suppose - especially picks 35 onwards....

You do have a point re 2012 but our list was so dire and we had so many holes that we had to get more players on our list that we could at least work with, especially talls. The reason we went with Hickey and Lee was that they were 2-3 years in the system so in theory they weren't as far away from playing as say a raw 18 year old like Lonergan or Jaksch at that time.

Wright has some good tools that can be improved. White we pinched from Collingwood who were dirty that they missed out on him and the rest, well, you don't get them all right I suppose - especially picks 35 onwards....
you did not just call Lonergan raw.

Was also an absolute brick in his draft year! :p

Yeah but fair call. I just hope most of those from 2012 can work out for us

Yeah, very fair call.

Yeah jury is still out on that but if we didn't upgrade those second and third round picks they would've been at around 30 and 50 respectively which means we were basically out of the draft after 12 and 13. Just a crap year to not be in the top 10.

you did not just call Lonergan raw.

Was also an absolute brick in his draft year! :p

Yeah but fair call. I just hope most of those from 2012 can work out for us
Geez, the possibilities though:

Pick 12 StKilda - Brodie Grundy
Pick 13 StKilda - Tim Broomhead

I'd take them & run!

Geez, the possibilities though:

Pick 12 StKilda - Brodie Grundy
Pick 13 StKilda - Tim Broomhead

I'd take them & run!
Not sure if that was likely or not. Seen it here a while ago that people reckon Grundy only wanting to play for Collingwood or something.

No idea if it was true or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back