Preview Changes Round 5 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Masten is 2nd at the club for contested possessions behind Priddis....

Masten is having a poor season, but winning contested ball has nothing to do with it. I would look at the following stats first

• He is not kicking goals, which a player of his position should be
  • He is handballing more than he is kicking, which indicates he isnt finding enough space (possible work-rate issue)
  • He has not had a single bounce this year. Once again suggests he isnt finding space
  • Averages under 1 goal assist per game
  • Only average 1.5 Rebound and Inside 50's.
All those key areas are where Masten should be aiming to improve. Leave the contested stuff to Priddis, Shuey and Yeo/Hutchings when they are in the middle

His tackle numbers and 1%er's would be interesting too - if he's getting contested possessions but not tackling, then he's not winning the ball but rather receiving it in a contested situation (when he should have cleared off of his opponent). If he's not shepherding for other players or putting pressure on opponents to help lower their disposal efficiency than he's not playing with the team in mind which is unacceptable at AFL level.

If it was only Gaff that he was competing with, there might be room for him but the reality is we also have Rosa and Wellingham around the flanks, not to mention Duggan, Cripps and LeCras rotating through there as well. We need a 2nd touch midfielder who is better under contested situations... I think this is where the allure of bringing in Waterman comes from - even if he's bringing similar attributes to Priddis, he'll be more capable of either providing a shepherd for Priddis to get a cleaner handball out, or getting the first handball and distributing it. Masten is playing that role too often recently and is just getting thrown aside.

His tackle numbers and 1%er's would be interesting too - if he's getting contested possessions but not tackling, then he's not winning the ball but rather receiving it in a contested situation (when he should have cleared off of his opponent). If he's not shepherding for other players or putting pressure on opponents to help lower their disposal efficiency than he's not playing with the team in mind which is unacceptable at AFL level.

If it was only Gaff that he was competing with, there might be room for him but the reality is we also have Rosa and Wellingham around the flanks, not to mention Duggan, Cripps and LeCras rotating through there as well. We need a 2nd touch midfielder who is better under contested situations... I think this is where the allure of bringing in Waterman comes from - even if he's bringing similar attributes to Priddis, he'll be more capable of either providing a shepherd for Priddis to get a cleaner handball out, or getting the first handball and distributing it. Masten is playing that role too often recently and is just getting thrown aside.
You can see player stats on the eagles web page, but Masten has two 1%ers for the season and averages 2.5 tackles game (places him 12th in the team). Dead last is Priddis with zero 1%ers for the year, but then he leads us in tackles and then McGinnity averages the next least with 0.3 1%ers per game, but again is quite high in tackles (top 5). A 1%er is defined as a knock-on, smother, spoil or shepherd. I'd ask wtf McGinnity doesn't have many of these seeing as you'd think that his role in the team is to specifically do these kind of things, hope he stays dropped.

Simmo on 6PR last night. As usual, paraphrasing unless in quotes.

http://www.6pr.com.au/news/good-signs-from-the-kids-says-simpson-20150427-1mune2.html

- Shuey "tweaked" ankle, but we're hoping he's okay for next week. Bit swollen, but "should be okay"
- Don't know if Shuey had a scan or not [but good signs]
- Disappointed with Freo game. Teams are getting off to red-hot starts - attacking the game is #1 priority across the league.
- This week we felt we got on the front foot (albeit against a weaker side)
- "Wasn't the highest pressure game of the round"
- Breeze was very swirly - but did it justify the poor kicking? No
- Butler is pretty happy with himself this week. He's a leader of the club and our last premiership player. He's an important player to influence our younger group.
- Young players are showing good signs. To be honest, the players were a little off in attitude earlier in the week - but that all changed when Fraser was named. Kids brought a lot of enthusiasm into the side this week.
- Dom did well
- :hearts::hearts::hearts:Duggan:hearts::hearts::hearts: was a "bright light" in the last quarter and racked up contested possessions. Good signs across the board for all the kids. (Note: loveheart emphasis was my editorial flourish.)
- RE: GWS - we're beginning to see them come on. Very different team this year and are in a good space. It won't be a pushover this week.
- Shiel has really benefited from Griffin coming into the team. Difficult side because they're hard running and enthusiastic. They're racking up great efforts based on the numbers.
- McCarthy has "burst onto the scene" - good to see a WA boy doing well.
- We like to think we can take GWS on. We've worked on some things after the Freo game and we feel like things are going well.
- Hutchings is available now after getting through two games.
- Cal Sinclair has played a couple down back and is doing well.
- Brant continues to get the ball but he wore a tag on the weekend. He's "done enough to warrant selection"
- Bennell and McGinnity travelled last week as well.
- We have to see how players pulled from the game before we consider selection. Recovery is difficult from Brisbane road trips.
- When you have a good win, it's normally pretty hard to change the side.

Worth noting the Duggan remarks were in response to a question specifically on Sheed - Simmo took it to Duggan. I think it's fair to say we weren't the only ones who noticed THE DUGG.

I will put this one out there and expect to be criticised.

In: Barrass
Out: Masten
Sub - Rosa, Nelson, Butler, Wellingham - anyone but Duggan (he needs and has earned a full game).

Rationale:-
Barrass (In)
We need height down back and with GWS forwards. McInnes is good but I liked him up front with Kennedy. Gov is to play on Cameron at CHB. Barrass on McCarthy at FB. Ruckmen rest on the bench not the pocket.
Barrass is showing something at East Perth - has he fully deserved it? Possibly not. BUT when you have Emac and Brown out for the season, you need to find out more on the next level coming through. Barrass would have played on McCarthy in the state U18 training sessions and in Claremont v South Fremantle. Not the GF as McCarthy had broken his leg at the U18 carnival. Barrass knows McCarthy and should go in with confidence. Body development should be comparable.

Masten (Out)
Nothing personal about the Crayola Kid but his form has been woeful this season and he needs to go.

If there is concern that the team is too tall, then consider resting NicNat or Lycett or Schofield. McInness earned another week with a good solid start to AFL. He can pinch hit in the ruck so capable of playing only 1 ruckman (pick one and be done) and that leaves Schofield as the 3rd tall defender freeing up Rosa or Wellingham or Duggan.

Don't mind it actually except we're getting back to the Land of the Giants (ironic since that's who we're playing) with two rucks, McInnes, Kennedy, McGov, Schofield and Barrass. Might be OK if the weather's fine, otherwise I think Barrass would be the one to miss - in that case I'd hope Butler, Nelson or McInnes could pinch hit on a tall forward rather than Yeo or Hurn.

Don't mind it actually except we're getting back to the Land of the Giants (ironic since that's who we're playing) with two rucks, McInnes, Kennedy, McGov, Schofield and Barrass. Might be OK if the weather's fine, otherwise I think Barrass would be the one to miss - in that case I'd hope Butler, Nelson or McInnes could pinch hit on a tall forward rather than Yeo or Hurn.

Probably this. That said, I felt like Nelson dropped off half a step this week - maybe in line for a rest - Barrass for Nelson?

This looks pretty good to me. I wouldn't be surprised if they send duggan to the wafl for a full run, but I hope they don't. He stands out so much in our team with a nice clean pair of hands and tidy skills.
Hope not, don't believe it will help him at all to go to a lesser competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if we win this will it be regarded as another flat track bullying? GWS have looked very good from what I've seen of them, although they've only played one top eight team.
Not at all, they're a bloody good side and recon its 50/50 for us to win.
Very good midfield and fwds, Gov on Cameron will be very interesting.

Last edited:
For me the only change i would do is Masten sub and Duggan a full game. IF Shuey is not fit i would also bring in Hutchings.

Team:

Butler Mcgovern Nelson
Shep Schoey Hurn

Gaff Priddis Rosa

Wellers Mcinnes Sheed
Lecra JK Cripps

Ruck: Nic Nat, Yeo, Shuey/Hutchings

Bench: Hill, Lycett, Duggan Sub: Masten.

- Duggan may tire as the match goes on so Masten can swap with him.

- Mcinnes to swing back if we are getting pumped by their tall forward line.

- Yeo MUST stay in the midfield.

- I feel Simpson does not use Masten right and with the way he is struggling as an inside mid he must only play on the outside or as a forward flank.

I thought nelson is improving defensively week by week. If he needs a break, then rest him, but otherwise keep playing him. I also liked it that he was warned by the umpire for "testing" out rockliffs ribs. Shows he isn't overawed, believes in himself that he belongs, rather than just making up the numbers in his 1st year.

Duggan has been sub 3 weeks in a row, so needs to play a full game now, whether that is at East perth or not is up to the match committee. I think he did well enough to show that he warranted a full game.

If shuey is fit, then I would suggest no changes. Give some continuity to our side, something we haven't had in a long time.

If shuey doesn't come up- then I would play colledge. Got to reward form, give another week to hutch to get fitness.

i would like to see masten as sub this week. I don't think he has been as bad as has been spoken about, but a reminder that he isn't untouchable wouldn't be the worst idea. Plus, his energy late in a game if it is close would be useful.

Schofield & McGovern will be sufficient this week to take on McCarthy & Cameron. Neither are gorillas & I think Schofield can match Cameron athletically, especially as Cameron does play a long way up the ground at times.

For me the only change i would do is Masten sub and Duggan a full game. IF Shuey is not fit i would also bring in Hutchings.

Team:

Butler Mcgovern Nelson
Shep Schoey Hurn

Gaff Priddis Rosa

Wellers Mcinnes Sheed
Lecra JK Cripps

Ruck: Nic Nat, Yeo, Shuey/Hutchings

Bench: Hill, Lycett, Duggan Sub: Masten.

- Duggan may tire as the match goes on so Masten can swap with him.

- Mcinnes to swing back if we are getting pumped by their tall forward line.

- Yeo MUST stay in the midfield.

- I feel Simpson does not use Masten right and with the way he is struggling as an inside mid he must only play on the outside or as a forward flank.
You need an impact player to be sub, not sure Masten fits the bill.
Ideas?

Question - will Schofield be able to change to give us run from the backline? If yes - then fine. If not. Then drop either Lycett or NicNat playing a young McInnes pinch hitting in the ruck. Therefore maybe including Barrass means dropping Masten plus a tall meaning we pick the best midfielder/running player at East Perth and be happy. That could be Bennell, Hutchings, Waterman, Lucas, Colledge, etc depending on how you see match ups and team balance.

I expect calls of no to resting either Lycett or NicNat. Reality is they are not the best combination running around at present. Maybe potential but not yet. I am OK to send a message of what they need to do differently and give them a chance to experiment at EP.

Question. Would it be best to test Barrass on McCarthy now given a close physical match up and an opponent Barrass would be confident with or wait another 4 weeks until we play Geelong and realise Schofield is only a 3rd tall and he has to debut on Hawkins or Clark?

I would rather risk losing a couple of games in 2015 by finding out more about some players and get games into players who are our next Gov. I think of McInnes and Barrass as KPP that may just blossom in 2015.

In terms of the stars of the 2014 draft, I love the way we are giving games to the new boys. May long these guys be prioritised.

Masten could easily rack up a few touches in a 1/4 if he is used correctly.

Not sure who else we could use as sub?

Unfortunately Masten calls them touches whilst other players call them tackles.:(

The only asset Masten has at present is elite endurance. WTF would that be of any benefit in the 4th Quarter? No to him as the sub and he really needs to go back to EP to find some form. I would rather Lucas than Masten and that is not a compliment to Lucas.

Problem is I'm not sure we have one. At least one who is available - Newman might make a good sub.

The annoying thing is, Duggan is probably the best sub option we have. He has the smarts and the desire to find the footy late in the game, and when he gets it he tends to use it well. I can definitely see why the coaches would want to start him there, but he can't play sub forever and I really hope this week he gets a full game at west coast, rather than being sent to the wafl for fitness. He looked a class above most others on the ground when he came on late against brissie.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back