Colin Sylvia Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this the first high profile fail of Free Agency? From memory the demons got a fairly good pick for him. Wasted space at Fremantle, but I wonder what made Colin not motivated? Fremantle in their prime after years in the dumps at Melbourne, should have tried his hardest to be apart of success.

Some people want to be Buddy Franklin. Others want to be Chris Judd. If I could've been a footballer I would have been Colin Sylvia.

He worked the AFL system perfectly and 2 clubs paid him very, very well for over a decade to deliver sweet * all.

Well played Colin, well played.

Last edited:
Could be detrimental to Freo's premiership chances this season.
I normally wouldn't start a thread for a mediocre player retiring. But under the circumstances of him being shunted away to the WAFL and the above average coin he was on. I thought it deserved its own thread. Mods please remove if you think this isn't threadworthy.

Is this the first high profile fail of Free Agency? From memory the demons got a fairly good pick for him. Wasted space at Fremantle, but I wonder what made Colin not motivated? Fremantle in their prime after years in the dumps at Melbourne, should have tried his hardest to be apart of success.

Melbourne got the pick that delivered them Bernie Vince. Adelaide used the pick on Matt Crouch.

Both would be very happy with that result.

It's not like we didn't see this coming. No idea what he was thinking going to Freo. No way he could of become a regular in their first team

EDIT: At least he'll have a decent bank balance I suppose

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo taking him was like a throwback to the old days of them being shook down like a little kid in the playground. Whatever were they thinking?

Good one Col. You finally had to actually pull your finger out and work for your money and you squibbed it like a little bitch.

I suppose now you can head back to Bendigo, to some club for good coin and spend every night of the week sucking piss with your mates and showing off your 'guns'.

On a less sarcastic note, one of the three or four biggest wastes of talent I've seen in 4 decades of watching footy.

Last edited:
At his best he should glimpses of greatness. Few and far between though.

Will probably look back on his career one day and wish he could re-do it.

Freos greatest recruit, tied with Jack Anthony, Peel Thunder will miss him

Nah, Anthony was much better. He was a gun for Collingwood early days and then some moron tried to change his kicking action because he couldnt kick more than 40m. Never mind he was a dead eye dick from anywhere inside 50.

If anything Anthony's problem was that he worked TOO hard. Had he found his natural action again he would've been a great get.

Same issue golfers have when they go away from their natural swing to try and get more distance on their drive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back