Colin Sylvia Retires

In all seriousness though this frees up a fair chunk of coin for Freo to put out for another FA this year.

Might be a few players just holding on their contracts in case Freo call.

Spook

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2003
Top of the pile looking down
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Claremont
Is this the first high profile fail of Free Agency? From memory the demons got a fairly good pick for him. Wasted space at Fremantle, but I wonder what made Colin not motivated? Fremantle in their prime after years in the dumps at Melbourne, should have tried his hardest to be apart of success.

Yep agree waster of space. Melbourne got Bernie Vince, got to be happy.

I am sure we all agree Sylvia had all the ability but not the mental strength to do the hard work. Ross thought he could hopefully turn him around, you win some you lose some.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
In all seriousness though this frees up a fair chunk of coin for Freo to put out for another FA this year.

Might be a few players just holding on their contracts in case Freo call.

Hello Rance !!!

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
Freo taking him was like a throwback to the old days of them being shook down like a little kid in the playground. Whatever were they thinking?

Only conclusion I can come to is that Ross wanted to prove he could win a flag despite any handicap the AFL would throw at him, so recruited the biggest dead weight he could find....

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Is this the first high profile fail of Free Agency? From memory the demons got a fairly good pick for him. Wasted space at Fremantle, but I wonder what made Colin not motivated? Fremantle in their prime after years in the dumps at Melbourne, should have tried his hardest to be apart of success.

Quinten Lynch would have to be more high profile than Sylvia?

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
I wonder what made Colin not motivated?

A guaranteed six-figure paycheck, regardless of his performance.

Some athletes don't feel they need to continually earn the paycheck and "prove" their worth, but already consider it "earnt" once the contract is signed.

Last edited:
His one and only contribution to the Fremantle Football Club is helping to define the most appropriate term for the receptacle used for those who choose flakedom, nuffieness and the path of least resistance over hard work and earning your pay...

colin sylvia basket.png

"The Colin Sylvia Basket"

Back