Is Patrick Cripps the AFL's next Superstar?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Bont

Cancelled
Mar 22, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's been well documented that bigger midfielders have started to become more popular and dominant in the AFL in recent years, with the Fremantle football club becoming the catalyst for this in the modern era with three of their midfielders at 190cm or taller and with Fyfe evolving into the AFL's best player, and the sheer dominance of Pendlebury of recent years (189 cm's) it has got AFL scouts searching far and wide for the next super size midfielder.
Bontempelli so far has been the one getting all of the headlines in recent months, thanks to Bigfooty posters such as myself talking him up and blokes in the media who love him.
But the one who really has caught my eye this year and most notably on the weekend is 3rd gamer Patrick Cripps who taken home the rising star nomination againts St Kilda last week.

He is listed as 194 cm's, has terrific hands in traffic, (Greg Williams like) and is already showing signs of a dominant clearance player, the one knock I had on him coming into the AFL was his endurance, but has shown a significant improvement in 12 months. And certainly isn't shy to put his body on the line and crash open packs.

It's been a disappointing start to the season for the Carlton football club, but it should certainly put a smile on the supporters faces, and giving them a reason to watch footy to see this future star play! And it will do him a world of good having a chance to learn from a legend of the game in Chris Judd on a daily basis.
It's a massive call but it's hard not to see shades of the old #43 in this kid.

Geoff Rowley

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's been well documented that bigger midfielders have started to become more popular and dominant in the AFL in recent years, with the Fremantle football club becoming the catalyst for this in the modern era with three of their midfielders at 190cm or taller and with Fyfe evolving into the AFL's best player, and the sheer dominance of Pendlebury of recent years (189 cm's) it has got AFL scouts searching far and wide for the next super size midfielder.
Bontempelli so far has been the one getting all of the headlines in recent months, thanks to Bigfooty posters such as myself talking him up and blokes in the media who love him.
But the one who really has caught my eye this year and most notably on the weekend is 3rd gamer Patrick Cripps who taken home the rising star nomination againts St Kilda last week.

He is listed as 194 cm's, has terrific hands in traffic, (Greg Williams like) and is already showing signs of a dominant clearance player, the one knock I had on him coming into the AFL was his endurance, but has shown a significant improvement in 12 months. And certainly isn't shy to put his body on the line and crash open packs.

It's been a disappointing start to the season for the Carlton football club, but it should certainly put a smile on the supporters faces, and giving them a reason to watch footy to see this future star play! And it will do him a world of good having a chance to learn from a legend of the game in Chris Judd on a daily basis.
It's a massive call but it's hard not to see shades of the old #43 in this kid.
I think your boy is the next superstar.

He has talent for sure but very early for a thread like this.

Some serious magnificent young players coming though from a heap of teams and exciting times for footy fans as the young kids stamp their name on the game. :thumbsu:

Right now Bonts is the pick of the lot IMO but that can change pretty quickly i suppose, I just wish Cripps did not get injured last season but what can you do.

Last edited:
Way too early to even consider, there's a lot that can happen in the space of a few years in the AFL.

FWIW (and because I'm bored), I'm predicting O'Meara, Bontempelli and Hogan to replace Ablett, Fyfe and Franklin as the truly elite.
I would include Fyfe in the 'replacing X, Y and Z' as opposed to being replaced, he is only 23 (2.5 years older than JOM).

Cripps will be an incredibly good player, but can't see him ever being the superstar of the competition. Exquisite talent though, could easily be a JPK level player.

Clearance machine and big body, but the trade off is he's slow and whilst he can mark incredibly well for a midfielder (mainly due to his height) I don't think he's anywhere close to Fyfe in that regard.

Future Jobe Watson or Josh Kennedy would be a great result for the Blues.

Bont is the one who's shown special talents. Jack Martin as well. They are 2 who have shown all the attributes - Inside, outside, speed, skill, marking, crumbing.

I would include Fyfe in the 'replacing X, Y and Z' as opposed to being replaced, he is only 23 (2.5 years older than JOM).

Cripps will be an incredibly good player, but can't see him ever being the superstar of the competition. Exquisite talent though, could easily be a JPK level player.

Yeah, I was more using Fyfe as an example as opposed to thinking he'd just drop off as the other boys came along.

Replace is probably a poor word choice but you get the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back