Changes vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You haven't posted on this board long, have you?

When he doesn't get near it and gets donuts, he will get crucified by this board. You know it and so do I.

image.png

He will be crucified... but if he crunches a pack, he'll be the preferred option over JJ.

Should we begin calling him, V-JJ?

To be fair JJ is a culprit of our s**t decision making.

He's alright at getting front position in his opponent then taking contested mark but we just don't give that opportunity instead we kick it too eddie against 3 defenders...

JENKINS: It's not a natural thing for me to be aggressive but is something I need to bring to my game, knock a few blokes and have contact.

I feel for the bloke, as I've been in a similar position. Many years ago I took up martial arts - which is a long story - but I am very non-aggressive in real life. I was terrible at it, just terrible, to the point where my master took me aside and said words to the effect of, "a failed student means a poor teacher", which was ridiculous because every other student he had was a ******* death-dealer: he took responsibility although he suspected, I did not have that in me. Eventually, after many beatings, I cottoned on to what was going on... in a similar way, when Neo in the Matrix is told, "there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path". The aggression had to be learned, when it seemed to be innate in so many of my classmates. One day it sort of *clicked* in my brain and I was able to correct for it, but I never really understood. It think it would be horrible for Josh actually.

Of course, that was unpaid and I did it for fun, fitness, and as an intellectual exercise. Jenkins does it for his livelihood, and a good one too. I believe that whether or not he learns it, he's likely to be on an AFL list - ours or someone else's - until he's 31 or 32, purely by virtue of his size and ability to find the goals (he kicked 40 in a season once). His lack of aggression is probably due to his basketball background (which I realise I also have, hilarious) but there's nothing saying he can't learn it. It may not be natural, but it can be taught. And if he can learn it, watch the **** out everybody.
That's a great post. Highlight of my day.

Need to walk the walk when you talk the talk...

Which he can't.

He took Tippett's number as a big statement - well, Kurt might be a prick, but he sure as hell wasn't soft; if Jenkins crashed half as many packs or played with anywhere near the intensity that Tippett did, he'd already be a star.

Instead of a pussy.

To be fair JJ is a culprit of our s**t decision making.

He's alright at getting front position in his opponent then taking contested mark but we just don't give that opportunity instead we kick it too eddie against 3 defenders...

Seriously Billy you must be quite young with some assessments :

Jenkins gets front position but is always getting too far under the ball ......most balls go behind ...his job is to bring the ball down forward, which he doesn't do.

Taking contested marks you say:confused: Mmmm......i must be missing something

We kick it to Eddie because Jenkins is always out of position and leads to the wrong spots

When JJ is kicking goals you can kind of live with his flimsy attack on the contest because at least he is hurting the opposition on the scoreboard

However the issue is when he is not hitting the scoreboard he's not hurting the opposition physically or on the score sheet and his ruck work is not strong either

When JJ is kicking goals you can kind of live with his flimsy attack on the contest because at least he is hurting the opposition on the scoreboard

However the issue is when he is not hitting the scoreboard he's not hurting the opposition physically or on the score sheet and his ruck work is not strong either

I'm tall and broad shouldered, and I was when I was a kid.

I played ruck or CHF, and my Dad always hammered into me - when you're bigger and stronger than most of the guys on the field, even if you're having a bad day and can't get your hands on the footy, you can still be a weapon for your team; hit contests hard, protect your ball winners around the contest, crash packs and make your opposition nervous about being in the contest when you're around.

If a little guy is having a bad day, there isn't much he can do - if a big guy is having a bad day, he can still wreak havoc...

But we've got a massive guy, who plays like a little guy.

I don 't know if it was just me, I was at the game and I couldn't help but notice how selfish Tom Lynch was. Burnt teamates on multiple occasions the most obvious being Lyons in the last quarter. I don't think. Walsh will put up with that for much longer. Not sure if others felt the same but it certainly looked that way from where I was sitting.
Secondly Jaensch's defending is secondrate. It's all well and good to have a player off half back who can run and carry but when the ball is constantly being turned over in the middle of the ground he becomes lost. Trailed his opponent multiple times and allowed for easy hit ups for the dogs. Two sides to the problem, horrendous turnovers in the corridor and unaccountable defending. I would look at playing Jaensch somewhere else other than halfback, somewhere where his pace and run can be utilised without being killed on the turnover. A wing or half forward for example.

Seriously Billy you must be quite young with some assessments :

Jenkins gets front position but is always getting too far under the ball ......most balls go behind ...his job is to bring the ball down forward, which he doesn't do.

Taking contested marks you say:confused: Mmmm......i must be missing something

We kick it to Eddie because Jenkins is always out of position and leads to the wrong spots

I really doubt that

I really doubt that
Is that yes or no ?

If you disagree then why? .....many times on Sunday both Tex and Jenkins were up on the Half forward line ......so who was out of position? ...or was it part of the plan to have Eddie v 2 defenders ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Although I can't find it anywhere, but on the radio coming home from training tonight on 91.9 I heard it.

JENKINS: It's not a natural thing for me to be aggressive but is something I need to bring to my game, knock a few blokes and have contact.

I feel for the bloke......

Great post. Surely it's a positive that he's acknowledging it? If he's acknowledged it, it's pretty clear the coaches are aware of it. Fingers crossed it's something that they work with him on. Because you're right, if he could add some physicality to his game he'd have a lot of the tools to be a quality player.

Wow, we're on struggle street.

Welcome to Struggle Town baby, population: us.

(us being the thirteen or fourteen people who are injured on our list)

Great post. Surely it's a positive that he's acknowledging it? If he's acknowledged it, it's pretty clear the coaches are aware of it. Fingers crossed it's something that they work with him on. Because you're right, if he could add some physicality to his game he'd have a lot of the tools to be a quality player.

Cheers mate. And yes like alcoholics, the first step is acknowledging you've got a problem. Since you've mentioned coaches, I do wonder if it's a football problem, or a life problem. Is he naturally aggressive everywhere else, but not on the field? Is it even something football coaches can help with?

I feel for the bloke, as I've been in a similar position. Many years ago I took up martial arts - which is a long story - but I am very non-aggressive in real life. I was terrible at it, just terrible, to the point where my master took me aside and said words to the effect of, "a failed student means a poor teacher", which was ridiculous because every other student he had was a ******* death-dealer: he took responsibility although he suspected, I did not have that in me. Eventually, after many beatings, I cottoned on to what was going on... in a similar way, when Neo in the Matrix is told, "there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path". The aggression had to be learned, when it seemed to be innate in so many of my classmates. One day it sort of *clicked* in my brain and I was able to correct for it, but I never really understood. It think it would be horrible for Josh actually.

Of course, that was unpaid and I did it for fun, fitness, and as an intellectual exercise. Jenkins does it for his livelihood, and a good one too. I believe that whether or not he learns it, he's likely to be on an AFL list - ours or someone else's - until he's 31 or 32, purely by virtue of his size and ability to find the goals (he kicked 40 in a season once). His lack of aggression is probably due to his basketball background (which I realise I also have, hilarious) but there's nothing saying he can't learn it. It may not be natural, but it can be taught. And if he can learn it, watch the **** out everybody.

Referencing a key "moment" in your MA training to The Matrix just made my day!

I don 't know if it was just me, I was at the game and I couldn't help but notice how selfish Tom Lynch was. Burnt teamates on multiple occasions the most obvious being Lyons in the last quarter. I don't think. Walsh will put up with that for much longer. Not sure if others felt the same but it certainly looked that way from where I was sitting.
Secondly Jaensch's defending is secondrate. It's all well and good to have a player off half back who can run and carry but when the ball is constantly being turned over in the middle of the ground he becomes lost. Trailed his opponent multiple times and allowed for easy hit ups for the dogs. Two sides to the problem, horrendous turnovers in the corridor and unaccountable defending. I would look at playing Jaensch somewhere else other than halfback, somewhere where his pace and run can be utilised without being killed on the turnover. A wing or half forward for example.

He laid a massive tackle on one of the Bulies players when we were crying out for some aggression on Sunday. The other reason we can't move him is because we need Brodie Smith further up the ground. If we take both out, we will have zero foot skills in a back half. His kick-ins especially are very good.

Hardly...

Er... no.

No KPDs to bring in.
No KPFs to bring in.
No back-up ruckman should Jacobs go down.

This isn't Struggle Street. This is Desperation Lane.

Wasn't J Pod our highest contested marker last year? To be honest, I think our forward line looked, and functioned better, last year with him in it.
I know he's injured, and not too popular on this board, but his career is not over at the AFC just yet.

Wasn't J Pod our highest contested marker last year? To be honest, I think our forward line looked, and functioned better, last year with him in it.
I know he's injured, and not too popular on this board, but his career is not over at the AFC just yet.

Yes, he was: tied for 5th in the league with 1.95 per game, with our next best being Walker with 1.53 tied for 21st.

So, if we drop JJ, do we blood Ramsey or ROB or bring back J-Pod?

Decisions, decisions.

Ruthless-People.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back