Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fight!_Fight!_Fight!_etc..gif

2002 Brisbane beat us by 9 goals at the Gabba Rd 7 and then by 9 goals in the PF at the Gabba. We beat them by 1 goal at Footy Park. At the MCG you'd split the difference. Plus 2002 Brisbane were at their best. Headland became the 5th beatle was brilliant then went home to WA in October.

Had the draws in mind

Yes, but Brisbane wasn't really the problem for us. The problem was losing finals to lesser teams.

We probably should have played Brisbane in four consecutive grand finals. Had we done so, I'm confident that we would have won at least two of them.
It's tough to win an away preliminary final. We were forced to try and achieve it in 2002 and 2003, because we choked against Collingwood and Sydney in those qualifying finals. Had those prelims been in Adelaide, it could have been a different story.

Anyway: we can't change the past - we need to take advantage of the talent in our current squad, and win AT LEAST one flag.

Williams was a megalomaniac who could coach but had delusions as to where the game was headed. Primus was a egomaniac who couldn't coach and had delusions about having to retain the captaincy instead of concentrating on regaining form and fitness.

There's nothing great about either tenure. One didn't take us to the heights we should have gotten to...the other took us to lows we should have never have reached.

I think more of Matthew Primus than that!
He inherited a team with a threadbare concept of what football was about (compliments of Williams heading off on a lunatic tangent), when we were down on the bones of our arses cashwise, and in all likelihood there was no-one prepared to coach us.
He took it on.
  • Yes, he had a crap game plan rather in the mould of Williams, and
  • He did some things that I was deeply critical of at the time, but which have since proven me completely wrong. For example putting games into Cameron O'Shea when I thought he was an absolute waste of space.
During that down time in our fortunes I think our recruiting also started to improve, so we were in possession of quite a talented crew, "primed" (pun intended) but without the guiding rudder of a really competent coach. Enter Hinkley. He is quite a beneficiary of that low period, however strange that sounds.
Clearly Primus cannot be praised for presiding over a down period, but the question must be asked as to whether he
  • was just unfortunate enough to succeed Williams with insufficient experience to change the game plan, and
  • inherited the role during a time when the the AFL essentially dictates leading teams drop down the table to " give someone else a go".
I take a look at Hawthorn, and note that between 1986 and 2014 (28 years) they won 7 premierships - an average of 1 every 4 years.
Sounds good, until you realise they won the premierships in 2 tranches with a gap 1991-2008.
Was Primus caught in the same trap?

It will be interesting to see how an experienced coach like Scott copes during Geelong's down period, which appears to where they are heading.

we can't change the past - we need to take advantage of the talent in our current squad, and win AT LEAST one flag.
And i'll be a very happy man. I see two in this squad under Ken. But as the past suggests. It's bloody hard. And if Ken fails to deliver, i wont ever entertain the thought to bag him. He took us for a ride that i thoroughly have enjoyed.

I really want to ask this on the Adelaide board, but I can't be bothered getting an infraction: Why do you bother with that leper colony, *PAF? It's clear that they don't respect you unless you're blowing smoke up their ass. Are you on a mission of mercy or something?

I really want to ask this on the Adelaide board, but I can't be bothered getting an infraction: Why do you bother with that leper colony, *PAF? It's clear that they don't respect you unless you're blowing smoke up their ass. Are you on a mission of mercy or something?
He has runs on the board. He obviously pays up for players. Not sure. I've posted the odd cringe worthy post on the cows board in the past but never again. Its cringe worthy.

PAF posts more over there than here. Weird but his choice.

He inherited a team with a threadbare concept of what football was about (compliments of Williams heading off on a lunatic tangent), when we were down on the bones of our arses cashwise, and in all likelihood there was no-one prepared to coach us.
He took it on.
  • He did some things that I was deeply critical of at the time, but which have since proven me completely wrong. For example putting games into Cameron O'Shea when I thought he was an absolute waste of space.
During that down time in our fortunes I think our recruiting also started to improve, so we were in possession of quite a talented crew, "primed" (pun intended) but without the guiding rudder of a really competent coach. Enter Hinkley. He is quite a beneficiary of that low period, however strange that sounds.
Clearly Primus cannot be praised for presiding over a down period, but the question must be asked as to whether he
  • was just unfortunate enough to succeed Williams with insufficient experience to change the game plan, and
  • inherited the role during a time when the the AFL essentially dictates leading teams drop down the table to " give someone else a go".
I take a look at Hawthorn, and note that between 1986 and 2014 (28 years) they won 7 premierships - an average of 1 every 4 years.
Sounds good, until you realise they won the premierships in 2 tranches with a gap 1991-2008.

It will be interesting to see how an experienced coach like Scott copes during Geelong's down period, which appears to where they are heading.
We were very clearLy told. In person no less. That Primus's role would be to blood young players and that expectations needed to be adjusted accordingly, this was fine in the first year for the more reasonable fans. However most were not on message and left on their droves due to results meaning that Primus had to go I nto survival mode.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And i'll be a very happy man. I see two in this squad under Ken. But as the past suggests. It's bloody hard. And if Ken fails to deliver, i wont ever entertain the thought to bag him. He took us for a ride that i thoroughly have enjoyed.
As I've said previously, yes we didn't manage to do what Brisbane, Geelong or Hawthorn did: win 3 flags. But to offset that, we did actually win 1 precious flag. Teams such as the Dogs and Saints would love to say the same thing.

Ken Hinkley has given Port fans a reason to go to the footy again. We now play an incredibly exciting brand of football, which even certain scribes across the border are raving about. Anybody who has the gall to bad mouth the man knows nothing about football.

He took it on.

A magnificent post
inquisitive,logical and measured
like the cut of your jib

He has runs on the board. He obviously pays up for players. Not sure. I've posted the odd cringe worthy post on the cows board in the past but never again. Its cringe worthy.

PAF posts more over there than here. Weird but his choice.
Syntax. Bad syntax.

Is it ok if I like Nathan Fyfe? :D Really enjoy watching him. I'm just afraid of sounding like a newbie saying he's a big fan of Wayne Rooney on a Liverpool forum.

As long as you don't say you like Patrick Dangerfield you're fine ;)

I don't know who that bastard is but I hate him already. (good?) ;)

He'll be the bloke in #32 who'll be diving, wincing, kicking the ball to empty space and complaining to the umpires at every opportunity in our next game. Hope this helps.

He'll be the bloke in #32 who'll be diving, wincing, kicking the ball to empty space and complaining to the umpires at every opportunity in our next game. Hope this helps.

He's better than anyone on your list mayte typical Port supporter not fellating a complete lack of greatness when you don't see it [/SMUGCOMPLACENCY]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back