Preview AFL Round 5 - Richmond vs Geelong, MCG, 1:45PM Saturday 2 May

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are dead-set last in average clearances, stoppages & hit-outs. If we employed the tactic you speak about, the opposition would win far more of their share of those stoppages, resulting in sling shot footy (as they say). I mean, it would be brutal watching the opposing team bull doze their way through stoppage, after stoppage, after stoppage.
The lack of classy big-men does not help Scott's game style either. Kicking results in frequent stops all game long. Had we kept our old game style, which was manic hand balling, we would most likely be better suited in today's enviroment as we simply have no quality ruck to help contest those get out-of-jail kicks down the wings.
The chipping the ball around in which Hawthorn use so effectively, that only works as they have so many quality contested marking big men.
Good call Bobby re: Kicking it long to the pockets to create stoppages. However at times in games we will have to face flooded forward 50s and I think the patient sharing of the ball around the perimeter is obviously a better tactic than booting it long. Though we should try and limit as much as possible having to face that situation in games by actually moving the ball quickly with run and dare forward on the rebound.

The Fremantle games are prime examples of that BlightyCats. They own Scott and his game style. They probably even have each players thought processes mapped out pre games.
They know each and every players strengths & weaknesses, and they seem to also have a great understanding of when to deploy interchange switches against us in order to generate the free man in acres of space.
Until Chris Scott and all his coaches can try and mix things up to catch Lyon off guard, there's very little chance we will ever combat the forward fifty flooding.

It's the same bloody plan time and time again.

The Fremantle games are prime examples of that BlightyCats. They own Scott and his game style. They probably even have each players thought processes mapped out pre games.
They know each and every players strengths & weaknesses, and they seem to also have a great understanding of when to deploy interchange switches against us in order to generate the free man in acres of space.
Yeah I noticed that and North used that interchange tactic on us as well on the weekend, it feels more and more like Scott is just being outcoached every week, but I really think Matty Knights is a bit of a cancer at the club as well, remember he coached Essendon in an elimination final against Adelaide and didn't select a ruckman....not one ruckman - they then proceeded to be smashed by 100 points.

Until Chris Scott and all his coaches can try and mix things up to catch Lyon off guard, there's very little chance we will ever combat the forward fifty flooding.

It's the same bloody plan time and time again.
Really unless something amazing happens for the rest of this season you can just feel that the club needs a new coach and coaching staff to re-energise the playing group, because at the moment they seem tired and complacent.

From memory they had Bellchambers as an emergency that day.
Bellchambers was going to play but Knights mysteriously pulled him out of the line up minutes before game time. He's a bit sh#t really as a coach.

Bellchambers was going to play but Knights mysteriously pulled him out of the line up minutes before game time. He's a bit sh#t really as a coach.
Seems to be rated OK at Geelong. Got our boys into successive VFL finals, winning the first of those, didn't he? And coached the boys to the top of the ladder the following year, 3 games clear of their nearest opponent...
He can't be too s**t (and please don't tell me that any coach could've done it or I'll come through your computer screen and bop you on the nose!).

Seems to be rated OK at Geelong. Got our boys into successive VFL finals, winning the first of those, didn't he? And coached the boys to the top of the ladder the following year, 3 games clear of their nearest opponent...
He can't be too s**t (and please don't tell me that any coach could've done it or I'll come through your computer screen and bop you on the nose!).

Any coach could have done it.

Any coach could have done it.
:mad:

There's always one!!

images

;)

Any coach could've done it :p. We beat stand alone Port Melbourne in the first one and only won on the day due to our superior fitness, and we lost the next one despite the fact more of our players had AFL experience than Box Hill and we'd finished 3 games clear on top.

Any coach could've done it :p. We beat stand alone Port Melbourne in the first one and only won on the day due to our superior fitness, and we lost the next one despite the fact more of our players had AFL experience than Box Hill and we'd finished 3 games clear on top.
:mad::mad:

Port Melbourne? You mean THE Port Melbourne who dominated the competition the previous year, finishing 4 games ahead of every other team and winning the GF by about 10 goals??? THAT Port Melbourne? Ah, yeah, easy beats :D
Don't know what happened to our boys the following year- I think they might've been thinking about their celebrations after the event, before the day was over...

:mad::mad:

Port Melbourne? You mean THE Port Melbourne who dominated the competition the previous year, finishing 4 games ahead of every other team and winning the GF by about 10 goals??? THAT Port Melbourne? Ah, yeah, easy beats :D
Don't know what happened to our boys the following year- I think they might've been thinking about their celebrations after the event, before the day was over...
Exactly my point Port Melbourne won a VFL premiership who was their coach? Do you think he's a good AFL coach?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

teams flood our forward anyway.
In a way you'll understand full well, especially after this weekend just gone.

Instead of pushing up the field where our lack of speed sees us get murdered on the counter, we need to go into full Jose mode and park that bus:p;)

Good VFL coach, good assistant coach but he ain't a senior coaches a**ehole imo.

Makes me wonder if his down hill skiing game plan at Essendon will permeate into our side at some point...

In a way you'll understand full well, especially after this weekend just gone.

Instead of pushing up the field where our lack of speed see us get murdered on the counter, we need to go full Jose and park that bus:p;)
Yeah exactly!!! Chelsea counter attacking tactics should be our tactics. Force the opposition to create the space in your half you need to score with. Quality of forward 50 entries not quantity.

Good VFL coach, good assistant coach but he ain't a senior coaches a**ehole imo.

Makes me wonder if his down hill skiing game plan at Essendon will permeate into our side at some point...
You don't think it already hasn't? Why are teams running through our arm tackles and running unaccompanied regularly in to our their forward 50. We currently have nearly the worst attack and defence in the comp.

Rubbish, game plans are far more simple than many think. There may be some complexity around certain zone set ups at certain points on the ground in certain situations with in the game but the overall game plan has to be simple so that everyone is on the same page and are predictable to each other.

That really is Living in the 70s.:rolleyes:

Strategy is, has been and always will be simple and universal. Briefly,
- if they've got the ball, or
- if we've got the ball, or
- if the ball is in contention, then
the strategy is to get there firstest with the mostest.

However, the tactics (ie game plans) to achieve that aim have got increasingly complex and sophisticated and continue to evolve to cover every player's individual role in all reasonably foreseeable offensive/defensive/contested scenarios on every part of the ground.

They are in fact more complex than most of us could even begin to imagine.

There have been plenty of hints of this for those watching the game closely, as well as in media commentary and articles.

Here's just one example, which spells it out more explicitly than most:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/what-makes-the-magpies-tick-20150130-1312x2.html

Last edited:
Why are our boys apparently too afraid to take those shots on goal from outside 50m, winty? Surely there'd be half a dozen of them with good enough accuracy to ping through over 75% of their shots from outside the line? Mackie (absent, I know), Duncan, Hawkins, Murdoch, even Motlop, Lang (am pretty sure), Gregson looks like he can... I assume Clark can- come out a bit, take a mark and line it up, boys! It's not bloody rocket surgery!!

That would definitely drag them out of the forward 50. And if we miss, we set up our zone on the 50m line.

I've noticed that the kick out to their ruckman from the goal square (ruckman is usually on the 50m line) is ineffective this year. Having Blicavs, Stanley, Lonergan, Taylor and Clark nullified this and it often goes over the line for a stoppage.

They stream past us only when we turn it over around 20-40m and are out of position to prevent the fast break.

Teams really need to run it out of our forward 50 to be effective. They realise that they don't need to kick it to a contest in the air because we are so strong in the air. So they keep it on the ground. That's why small forwards trouble us. Teams stopped pumping it in high when they realised that Enright, Taylor, Rivers and Lonergan loved that. Adding to this our midfield are not fast and strong enough to slow them in the midfield.

So rubbishing knightsey ehh....what next, seriously some of you are fair dinkem flogs.
We've had one game plan in 8 yrs, a game plan of high tempo attacking football. Knights didn't bring that w him, the two's are trained to play like the afl side because there one club. We should be asking the power's too be and previous, why hasn't the MC since scott been coach had a plan b or c. Don't blame our inexperienced of trying to play a high risk game plan, when there skills aren't at the level yet.

Last edited:
That would definitely drag them out of the forward 50. And if we miss, we set up our zone on the 50m line.

I've noticed that the kick out to their ruckman from the goal square (ruckman is usually on the 50m line) is ineffective this year. Having Blicavs, Stanley, Lonergan, Taylor and Clark nullified this and it often goes over the line for a stoppage.

They stream past us only when we turn it over around 20-40m and are out of position to prevent the fast break.

Teams really need to run it out of our forward 50 to be effective. They realise that they don't need to kick it to a contest in the air because we are so strong in the air. So they keep it on the ground. That's why small forwards trouble us. Teams stopped pumping it in high when they realised that Enright, Taylor, Rivers and Lonergan loved that. Adding to this our midfield are not fast and strong enough to slow them in the midfield.

Agree with all of this we need to increase pressure all over the ground and raise each individual's work rate

So rubbishing knightsey ehh....what next, seriously some of you are fair dinkem flogs.
We've had one game plan in 8 yrs, a game plan of high tempo attacking football. Knights didn't bring that w him, the two's are trained to play like the afl side because there one club. We should be asking the power's too be and previous, why hasn't the MC since scott been coach had a plan b or c. Don't blame our inexperienced of trying to play a high risk game plan, when there skills aren't at the level yet.

Reposted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back