Review R5: Port v Adelaide Review

Remove this Banner Ad

In the end it was about team defence and the team did a great job. Sometimes you need to sacrifice a match up on a player if all the other ones are working. In the end, take Krakouer off Cameron, who he destroyed and who's to say Cameron doesnt start kicking goals? Or Douglas starts kicking goals etc.

Credit also needs to go to Paddy Ryder for stretching their defense.

Schulz embarrassed Cheeny!

And they rated Cheney ahead of Cardigan.

Watched the game on TV, If you take out the Power chants, You could hear a pin drop. #Atmosphere
Was listening to ABC after the game and they were talking to a Crows flog. The boys must have been on the ground winding down as they do and all you could hear was the Power Chant in the back ground .. love it lol

Last edited:
I dont mind Pittard but definitely looking for greater impact and less mistakes. :rolleyes:

I am increasingly less likely to say '* don't give it to Pittard' and referring to a 'Pittard special as a good thing'. I don't mind him getting run down ... you take people on and that is the price you pay, it was more the shank kicks that were the killer. He would be near AA atm and would be a lock if he could cut down on errors.

Challenge accepted.

bobby_rock3_zpsojurhjxf.jpg~original
Omfgoodness....

That is amazeballs

PLAYER REVIEWS
The Best

Ebert - Just phenomenal. Just like Robbie he seems to really enjoy Showdowns, is very consistent against the Crows and tonight was no different. Just a wonderful of work rate and a never say die attitude. When we were struggling through that 2nd quarter, it was Brad that was standing up and winning the contested ball in the middle. An absolute beast around the packs and would have been well deserved of the Showdown medal as well.

Gray - Robbie seems to bring his best for the Showdown and tonight was no exception. Another massive game and well deserved of the Showdown medal. I shouldn't be surprised by now but it just amazes me just how he can get his hands to it at stoppages, even when he is out of position he just finds a way to win the ball and never wastes it. Kicked a goal as well. The most brilliant player on the ground.

Schulz - Jay is in some kind of form right now. Made Cheney look second rate, especially in the first half when he just constantly won better position. His work rate was too much for Cheney to deal with. His ability to double back and get space running with the flight of the ball is fantastic. Took some super strong marks and 5 goals was perfect reward for his efforts.

Carlile - Like Jay, Alipate is in brilliant form at the moment. Has started the season with some fine scalps in Petrie and Roughead and tonight he did the job on the Crows captain. Walker was forced to lead well outside the 50 to get a lot of his touches and he rarely provided a scoring threat inside 50. Carliles ability to get a timely spoil was great, but even better were his efforts in cutting off others kicks inside 50. He really is now one of our most dependable leaders.

Boak - Thought he was getting beaten through that first half and just couldnt find much room to move. Seemed to be tackled as soon as he got the ball and forced into defensive handballs a lot. Went bang after half time and was one of the keys to winning. Found more and more space around the packs and was able to deliver it inside 50 with class. A great game by our Captain.

The Rest
Hartlett - Up and down. Thought he was getting beaten as well through that first half, despite a great long goal in the first, but his second half was as crucial as anyones. Another that found space and used it well goign forward. Put his body on the line numerous times.

White - Thought they couldn't match his pace. He made mistakes and didnt have a lot of it, but when it worked, it worked well. Found more positives than negatives in his game. Ran like a man possessed.

Cornes - Not a lot of influence with the ball but his defensive job on Sloane went a long way to us winning the game. Took out one of their prime play makers and forced him out of the play. Was big in that last quarter.

Westhoff - Adelaide made the choice to start Kelly on him and I wonder if they regret that now. Talia has regularly killed Hoff and he didnt move onto him until Hoff had already had massive influence on the result. Kicked 2 goals, had a play in 3 or 4 others. Probably his best game for the year.

Mitchell - Kane Mitchell :heart: I love this guy. Screw the haters, he's had 3 great weeks in a row now and been a major reason why we've won the last 3 games. His defensive work was incredible. Kicked 2 goals at a crucial time in the last quarter and had 3 goal assists as well. Keep doing what you're doing Kane. You're a star!

Pittard - Solid as a ROCK! I saw it every week, but how is his turnaround? Rarely beaten one on one, rarely misses a target by foot, puts his body on the line week after week. Never thought I'd say it 12 months ago, but I now want the ball in his hands and feel more comfortable when he has it. Star.

Wingard - Did what he does in Showdowns. Causes headaches, kicks goals, makes duds like Jaensch and Laird look stupid. Our Chad!

Broadbent - Had a great start to the game before being shut down, but thought his ability to drop in front of the lead was excellent all game.

Ryder - Paddy! How good is Paddy! Good in the ruck and a gun up forward. Some strong grabs and just such a great kick for goal. Its great having a player like Paddy who can kick the key goals at crucial times.

Lobbe - Thought he pumped Jacobs in the ruck, which is a great thing for him given some of the thrashings Jacobs has handed out to him over the years. Just need to take a bloody mark big fella!

Hombsch - Had a good battle with Lynch, who found plenty of space on the flanks but rarely got in scoring position. Hombsch, like Broady, was great dropping back in space.

Monfries - Defensively was very good, but just isn't the player we know and love at the moment. Not getting enough of it inside 50.

Jonas - A lot will criticise the match up of Jonas on Betts and at times it looked like it may tear us up, but in the end, 3 of Betts' goals were ones that noone else would have stopped. Tightened up after half time and the best part of Jonas' game was his spoiling. Managed to drop in front of plenty of marking contests and was able to kill them.

Trengove - Beat Jenkins quite comfortably, which isn't a huge deal as Jenkins is absolute toss but Trengove took plenty of marks dropping back and played an important role coming off Jenkins.

Krakouer - I thought Cameron was meant to be the next superstar forward of the competition? Krakouer made him look absolute 2nd rate. Barely allowed him any space, shut down his leads well and his attack at the ball can't ever be questioned. Is as hard at it as anyone in the team.

Polec - Had a few important moments in the last quarter when we needed him to win the ball.

Young - His stats sheet isn't hugely impressive but it didnt have to be. I thought he had a massive influence around the packs. Once again, super strogn with the ball in hand and was able to get it going in our direction more often than not. Just lacks the outside game that will make him a much better player.

POTY Votes:
10 - Gray, Ebert
9 - Schulz, Carlile, Boak, Mitchell, Pittard, Ryder
8 - Krakouer, Cornes, Westhoff, Lobbe
7 - Trengove, Hartlett, Young
6 - Broadbent, Wingard
5 - Hombsch, White
4 - Jonas
3 - Polec, Monfries
I think you overrated Krak and Youngys game ..but we won who cares

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We played just OK. Our handball game we've tried to develop this year to run through zones I'm yet to see once actually work, pre-season and today we tried it against them in the whole 2nd quarter and it's just a flogging to nowhere. The guys either end up pissfarting with it trying to do too much on their own or over using it. That entire second quarter was frustrating as we kept kicking it exactly where they wanted us to, we stopped taking it on and we tried the running handball s**t when multiple times when I saw a panned out camera angle the dangerous kick was there and this is the kick the bulldogs took on each time last week. It's the kick to a team mates advantage that we have stopped doing at times this year and we end up stagnant as they seem to be if we can't hit the guy on the full then it's not an option where putting it out infront of your team mate to his advantage and trusting him to win or nullify the contest is what we did more of last year. On the flip side our defence is now pretty sorted after this groups had 3 years or so to build.

I know Mitchell got a couple of goals in the 2nd (the first was a gimme) but still his disposal sticks out like a sore thumb from he rest of the team and when I see Aaron Young having to force his way in and knowing this guy got games infront of him last year just *s me off. I know he tries hard and runs hard but when he turns it over its usually in places that kills us. I think he'd be the out for Ollie but no doubt we'll drop someone better like Young, it's probably the only position in the team up for grabs at the moment.

Looking like a good problem with Impey is back fit, what do we do between him and Krak? Krak's been great and I've enjoyed him wanting the body contact and b-lining the ball in his AFL return, there was one in the first quarter I think it was he just smashed into the Crows player, took the ball with him and off he went.

A good win and it was a danger game with the first four rounds, the mental battle for a fifth game in a row at the most intense level was always going to be tough. I think we saw a bit of mental fatigue today as they seemed to drop the intensity all over the shop this week but we always felt in control of the game but with still the stress that they might put a couple of goals through quickly to make it real tight.

Awesome win. No review from me today as I was at a 1yo birthday party and the tv was hard-locked on Wiggles, so I missed the first half completely other than following the game day thread and AFL app.

Remember when we were going to be 0-5 and the Crows 5-0?

We look solid in defence, dynamic in midfield and dangerous in attack. Top 4 finish coming up this year...

Wrapt with the win. Top 4 sides beat middle of the road sides when not at their best, and we did just that. Yeah it was a Showdown but the Crows are a 7th to 12th side no more, so to get that win in that manner is all I wanted. Also having Lobbe/Ryder together has done Schultz and Westhoff the world of good. 2 games into playing them both and Schultz has 10 goals, Paddy 10 and Westhoff looks back to his best. Now the draw opens up time to get the wins up and build into our season.

Good reviews, Macca.
Just have to reiterate it though: "Lobster, hold a mark, big fella!"
How many times do we try to kick long for him, he gets hands to it, and then grasses it.
Still a very good contested game, as always.

Didn't think Lobbe had a great game tbh. Couldn't hold a mark and his tapwork seemed to go down a crows players throat far too often.

Wrapt with the win. Top 4 sides beat middle of the road sides when not at their best, and we did just that. Yeah it was a Showdown but the Crows are a 7th to 12th side no more, so to get that win in that manner is all I wanted. Also having Lobbe/Ryder together has done Schultz and Westhoff the world of good. 2 games into playing them both and Schultz has 10 goals, Paddy 10 and Westhoff looks back to his best. Now the draw opens up time to get the wins up and build into our season.
Paddy 5 goals not 10 my bad.

Didn't think Lobbe had a great game tbh. Couldn't hold a mark and his tapwork seemed to go down a crows players throat far too often.
Ryder has had a much more palpable effect on both of our past two matches, both as a marking presence in attack and with his deft tap-work in the ruck.
Having said that, Lobbe's tackling and second efforts at the stoppages were brilliant, and on a few occasions he outread Jacobs at the bounce down and created nice clearance opportunities.
It's his inability to hold a contested mark, even when in a great position to do so, that let his game down tonight.

OH YEAH BABY!

#SCNH

PLAYER REVIEWS
The Best

Mitchell - Kane Mitchell :heart: I love this guy. Screw the haters, he's had 3 great weeks in a row now and been a major reason why we've won the last 3 games. His defensive work was incredible. Kicked 2 goals at a crucial time in the last quarter and had 3 goal assists as well. Keep doing what you're doing Kane. You're a star!

Yeah no. I thought Hartlett has continued to show signs of increasing good form, still a bit patchy. I think most frustrating today is we seemed to have trouble getting the ball into our hands, there were quite a few times we were running after the ball in the centre to over run it or fumble it. Dangerfield etc were much cleaner in this regard today and pantsed us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back