Review Postmatch discussion/positives & negatives vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Alright, I've read a few pages of negative drivel, time to put some positive spin on it.

1st half was very high quality. Two very good sides punching and counter punching (no pun intended for the snipers Lewis/Hodge) We just lacked polish and if you've not noticed, we've got a fair bit of polish sitting on the sidelines at the moment.
A 10 goal loss was not indicative of the actual game. 4-6 goals was a more realistic indicator of the game.

2nd half was disappointing for sure and not acceptable. It's worrying that we dropped our bundle in terms of competitiveness but the Hawks had their tails up and are a very very very good side.

By the way, Ben Brown is now our best forward. Black will go straight back out for Waite if fit. If Waite is not fit, then Daw MUST come in. I'm not sure Scott will play Brown and Daw in the same side though as they're both similar types.

We have a half dozen of our top 15 blokes not playing and we are 2 and 3 after 5 rounds after playing some tough opponents with a depleted side. With our injuries, if you'd given me that at the start of the year, I would've taken it. Once we add Wells, NDS, McDonald, Hansen, Mullett, Grima and Adams (maybe) to that team, it takes on a different look. All these guys, with the exception of maybe Adams are in our best 22 and they are sitting on the sidelines.

I'll keep the faith at this stage - there is still plenty of games left.

Alright, I've read a few pages of negative drivel, time to put some positive spin on it.

1st half was very high quality. Two very good sides punching and counter punching (no pun intended for the snipers Lewis/Hodge) We just lacked polish and if you've not noticed, we've got a fair bit of polish sitting on the sidelines at the moment.
A 10 goal loss was not indicative of the actual game. 4-6 goals was a more realistic indicator of the game.

2nd half was disappointing for sure and not acceptable. It's worrying that we dropped our bundle in terms of competitiveness but the Hawks had their tails up and are a very very very good side.

By the way, Ben Brown is now our best forward. Black will go straight back out for Waite if fit. If Waite is not fit, then Daw MUST come in. I'm not sure Scott will play Brown and Daw in the same side though as they're both similar types.

We have a half dozen of our top 15 blokes not playing and we are 2 and 3 after 5 rounds after playing some tough opponents with a depleted side. With our injuries, if you'd given me that at the start of the year, I would've taken it. Once we add Wells, NDS, McDonald, Hansen, Mullett, Grima and Adams (maybe) to that team, it takes on a different look. All these guys, with the exception of maybe Adams are in our best 22 and they are sitting on the sidelines.

Mirrows my thoughts.

Needs to be played further up the ground, you can't find the pill when you're a forward at the mercy of that rubbish that was delivered tonight.

All he does is play up the ground. Never see the bloke in the fwd 50. Hate to say it, but Daw is the much better option at the moment.

Negative - why when I upgrade from a North membership GA to level 1 did ticketek put me bang smack in the middle of the Hawks cheer squad. Cheers for there being no info anywhere about which end is our home end on the Internet.

That's generally what happens when you do this. Option is GA on lvl3 or allocated seat on lvl1, usually at the opposition end (unless we're playing interstate side) I prefer lvl1, so happy to sit amongst the enemy and stir them up.

Somehow, reading this made me feel a little better about the game and although you described it as a ''positive spin'' I don't think it was spin at all. You correctly described the second half as ''not acceptable'' and identified that we ''dropped our bundle in terms of competitiveness''. Hopefully we'll actually do something about these justified criticisms by making at least one significant change.

Personally I love Ats but he has been non-competitive in one on ones this year. He's my choice for a trip to the VFL. Gibbo was beyond shocking too, but I'd be happy for one significant change to be made.

Yeah Ben Brown is the future.

He 100% should play Brown and Daw in the same side.

How much footy have they played together at Werribee?

I'm sorry. This is your 10th post. I've posted over 4,000 and a lot of them have been s**t. But none of them have been as s**t as this (except the Turner is as good as Bontempelli one). We won't face them in a final. 1st doesn't usually get to play 9th in a final.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water, we won't be ninth. We will be exactly where most thought pre-season. 3rd-6th.

Well I think we cover the negatives, injuries and work rate had a major impact. But the big positive for me is we're pumping development into turner, wood and brown. Big Ben brown alongside Lachie are now my favourite players, Brown has come from nowhere to be one of our most important forwards.

Disappointed in Norths supporters lack of faith. If we lose by a small margin like against port we're not phased and when it's a high margin like this week supporters start blaming Scott and how the players should be dropped.

If you actually watched the game, you'd know Hawthorn hurt us on the rebound. We didn't take capitalise going forward. On the night Hawthorn played probably what will be one of their best games of the season and taught north a lesson on precision going into the forward 50. When Hawthorn went forward there was barely any opportunity to turn it over, their kicks were perfect, and no matter if you were Freo, Port or Sydney their is no way you can defend that. The only way to defend precision like that is to prevent it by going into your forward 50 with the same precision and applying forward pressure to create a early turnover before the rebound.

North has been sloppy going forward versing Hawks and throughout 2015 - partly due to our skills not being quite as sharp and putting out outside runners under pressure and partly due to a new forward line.

Yes it was a 60 point margin, but we won the contested ball from stoppages and ran it out of defense fine, it was the decision making going forward where we kicked it to a lead or to advantage to a running player that let us down. If we were more precises going forward we would have hit the scoreboard and ultimately stopped most of hawks goals as they come off the rebound.

Hawks played very, very well and North were below their best with their skills - something that Dal and Wells would have certainly helped with.

IMO it was a good game and north were well and truly in it to about halfway through the last. We took risks to WIN the game and they didn't pull off. Those risks almost worked against port and have worked previously against the Essendon in the elimination final and countless other come from behind wins last year.

Don't start critiquing every single player, it's a team game. it takes a champion team and not a team of champions to win a premiership.

Disappointed in Norths supporters lack of faith. If we lose by a small margin like against port we're not phased and when it's a high margin like this week supporters start blaming Scott and how the players should be dropped.

If you actually watched the game, you'd know Hawthorn hurt us on the rebound. We didn't take capitalise going forward. On the night Hawthorn played probably what will be one of their best games of the season and taught north a lesson on precision going into the forward 50. When Hawthorn went forward there was barely any opportunity to turn it over, their kicks were perfect, and no matter if you were Freo, Port or Sydney their is no way you can defend that. The only way to defend precision like that is to prevent it by going into your forward 50 with the same precision and applying forward pressure to create a early turnover before the rebound.

North has been sloppy going forward versing Hawks and throughout 2015 - partly due to our skills not being quite as sharp and putting out outside runners under pressure and partly due to a new forward line.

Yes it was a 60 point margin, but we won the contested ball from stoppages and ran it out of defense fine, it was the decision making going forward where we kicked it to a lead or to advantage to a running player that let us down. If we were more precises going forward we would have hit the scoreboard and ultimately stopped most of hawks goals as they come off the rebound.

Hawks played very, very well and North were below their best with their skills - something that Dal and Wells would have certainly helped with.

IMO it was a good game and north were well and truly in it to about halfway through the last. We took risks to WIN the game and they didn't pull off. Those risks almost worked against port and have worked previously against the Essendon in the elimination final and countless other come from behind wins last year.

Don't start critiquing every single player, it's a team game. it takes a champion team and not a team of champions to win a premiership.

Thanks, Brad.

We really miss the class of wells, dal and Lachie.

30, 31

We need players stepping up to take over from these guys. Or at the very least stepping up to show that we can cover them.

I am looking at you Shaun.

30, 31

We need players stepping up to take over from these guys. Or at the very least stepping up to show that we can cover them.

I am looking at you Shaun.
Explains the move of Harvey to defence, which has got to stop, either leave Atley in defence or send him to the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, no and no again.

His workrate was terrible. Watch the replay, spent more time in no man's land than a wounded soldier on the Western Front.

There better be a no holds barred meeting this week, and some home truths told.

And that starts with the coach, all the way down to the rest of the pretenders that took the field on saturday night.

I'm happy to give LT a pass because of how many times he has tried his guts off when his team mates aren't.

That said, my question remains a valid one - is there anyone we can throw in when we can't get a clearance apart from the usual suspects? Everyone is happy to take shots at Rioli for being overrated and flashy, but every time they put him in he seems to impact the clearance. Meanwhile we persist with the same slow combinations.

Explains the move of Harvey to defence, which has got to stop, either leave Atley in defence or send him to the VFL.

I find that focussing on your players strengths is just as effective… Basti, Atley and Higgins are straight line running players.. they need to get the pill often and unfortunately are either playing in a crowded space that doesn't allow them to utilise their strengths = no impact.

I'd have each of the aforementioned players rotating on the wing.. they're the back ups to Wells & NDS. I've seen the damage that Higgins can do on the run.. I'd have him as my sub when NDS & Wells return. Fresh burst players who can hurt the opposing team on the scoreboard is what I see as the sub X factor.

Boomer should be moved back to the fwd line when the midfield can't find targets.. Boomer still has zip.. use it to our advantage instead of bombing it over his head.. short 20 metre pass is enough 4 times a quarter… Boomer should be good for 3 goals a game at least plus goal assists.. I see why he is in the back line and that's because you need carriers moving the ball from back pocket.. without needing to kick to contests. Nahas found the going tough on Saturday night. Played well as the link man in our wins plus Port game.

Hey guys, just wondering why Waite was a late out? Is he injured?
Hamstring strain from carrying Carlton's forward line after Betts;). Nah slight hamstring tightness, could have played Sunday if it were a sunday game.

Hamstring strain from carrying Carlton's forward line after Betts;). Nah slight hamstring tightness, could have played Sunday if it were a sunday game.

Are you kidding me?? I study body language and Brad Scott was bluffing… suddenly he has an itch over his ear when he said Waite could of played if it was Sunday…. RUBBISH!! Just like LMac's leg soreness.. two weeks out now… that doesn't sound like leg soreness from a week ago. More fibs!!

I was at the game, and less than 20m from where our captain was decked by Hodge, and not a whimper. So don't sit there and tell me that I can not critique players that were on the scene for their piss weak response. A dog act that any individual in the team could and should have responded to.

We did not take risks to win the game, we played exactly the same way the whole game. Short handpassing by us in any area but the centre coridoor and bomb it into the forward line that our three talls had bugger all chance of marking.

Taking risks would have been to run and gun through the guts with multiple players moving at all times.

We played not to lose, and lost.

Are you kidding me?? I study body language and Brad Scott was bluffing… suddenly he has an itch over his ear when he said Waite could of played if it was Sunday…. RUBBISH!! Just like LMac's leg soreness.. two weeks out now… that doesn't sound like leg soreness from a week ago. More fibs!!
Having a mild form of autism, l can't read body or facial language, l'll have to take your word for it then.

I'm happy to give LT a pass because of how many times he has tried his guts off when his team mates aren't.

That said, my question remains a valid one - is there anyone we can throw in when we can't get a clearance apart from the usual suspects? Everyone is happy to take shots at Rioli for being overrated and flashy, but every time they put him in he seems to impact the clearance. Meanwhile we persist with the same slow combinations.

No outside run.. how many times do you see Cunnington waiting for the teammate to accept his possession?? It's damn frustrating for not only us watching but the players. I'd have either of Atley, Basti & Higgins running past… need to start three quarters on the defensive side of the centre square and run diagonal past our centre clearance guys who are WORKING LIKE MULES and getting nothing from their hard work. Disappointed in the midfield coaching.. it's NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!! I'll happy to do the job for half the money and be twice as effective.

People calling for Daw to come in realise this will only effect Brown's output? Sorry but majak is not up to AFL standard. Drew and Waite take the first 2 defenders which leaves brown to do his thing on the third defender which is vital for us. Bringing majak in means brown will only get a better defender and majak isn't good enough to capitalise on the third defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back