Review R5: Port v Adelaide Review

Remove this Banner Ad

They have been misleading everyone. Ken's putting out a classic item of misinformation.

I just checked the stats from the 2012 Grand Final - Inside 50s: Sydney 43, Hawthorn 61.
The Swans won a flag that year with a game plan that involved a tight cohesive defence and fewer, but more efficient, forward 50 entries.
Was that the year the 'slingshot' was invented?

Each game we play this year, the execution on the field will get better and better.

Who was it who said something about "Lies, damn lies, and statistics!"? Oh yeah ... REH.

Yes, but Hawthorn really should have won that game. They missed easy shots from gettable positions, and only lost by a goal. Buddy kicked 2.5 with a couple OOF for crying out loud. If that was the Swans gameplan, they didn't execute very well in restricting scoring. Luckily, Hawthorn executed scoring even worse.

Wasn't Sunday the first time in like 5 showdowns we were actually up on free kicks for?

The problem with complaining about free kicks is that this showdown's free kick numbers were skewed. We won the free kick and had possession of the ball and played on anyway. Basically made some of our frees worthless.

Yes, but Hawthorn really should have won that game. They missed easy shots from gettable positions, and only lost by a goal. Buddy kicked 2.5 with a couple OOF for crying out loud. If that was the Swans gameplan, they didn't execute very well in restricting scoring. Luckily, Hawthorn executed scoring even worse.

The point is: it's not the number of forward 50 entries that wins games, it's the quality of those entries.

Pursuing this 'really should have' ideology is pointless. Are you saying the Crows 'really should have' won yesterday?
No damn way, mate. We had them covered, they knew it, and their forward entries were mass crap as a result.

PS: Sydney won in 2012 by 10 points.

PPS: Geelong 'really should have' won the GF in 2008. We could go on forever, right ?

Just happy that we were obviously the classier , more balanced , more up side team out there yesterday .
Some of the plays we attempted that only just came unstuck were brilliant , that's where everyone in the team needs to be clean , we're nearly there and when we get there , along with our speed , skill and endurance look out I say .

That's why we're executing Geelong 2011 offence with Sydney 2012 defence...or at least are trying to. When we have the opportunity to go, we go. That's our Plan A. But if a side wants to do the only thing they can and flood the ball carrier, we drop out midfield back and say "It's time to slingshot our way."

See, the reason why Sydney's gameplan didn't work in 2012 is that a) it was their plan a and b) they didn't have the right combination of players (no Tippett or Franklin). Longmire changed it take advantage of their forward dominance, but he sacrificed their defensive pressure because his players don't have the endurance to go 4 quarters doing both styles.

We do.

When it clicks, and it's starting to...you won't be able to wipe the smile off your face, because it's going to be epic. We should have destroyed Adelaide - look at the stupid fumbles we did around stoppages and when executing the slingshot. White ****ed up bouncing the ball and Young got tackled off the bench, FFS.

I understand that we need to clean up the inside 50 count, but if you take out that 2nd quarter, the inside 50 count was 48-36, and IIRC they had around 5 inside 50s in the last 3 minutes when we were 5 goals up and the game was sealed.

You also need to consider the type of inside 50. Some of the count in the second quarter is just the ball bouncing back and forward from inside 50 to about 60m out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- Ebert and Boak were everywhere in the middle of the park, I thought they were both in with a shout for best player on the pitch.

Excellent post. You're already more knowledgeable talking about football than 85% of people that I talk to.

One thing, I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but it's just about always 'best on ground' or BOG, rather than pitch! :p

Excellent post. You're already more knowledgeable talking about football than 85% of people that I talk to.

One thing, I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this, but it's just about always 'best on ground' or BOG, rather than pitch! :p

Oh dear, diegodcg , you've been caught off-side.

If last week was a Vo Rogue special in a Group 1, this week's was an exercise gallop with the one put up against us under the stick from go to whoa.

I am looking forward to us dispatching our next opponent in a thoroughly professional and ruthless manner: we are now cherry ripe to do so.

Well done Port adelaide on a professional performance.

One thing that struck me watching ot
Every time I hear the Crows slogan I have the "Cows With Guns" tune going though my head.
And your login name has got me hunting thru my records to find the cheech and chong Album i know that from. Thanks man!!

The Inside 50s count without context provides no real indication of what goes on during a game. The Crows were wasteful in front of goal during the second quarter, but I felt they did extremely well setting up their press on kick-ins after a behind. I felt like we turned the ball over 4-5 times on the kick out from a behind, all of which resulted in cheap, easy inside 50s. The way they set up at half forward stifled our ability to run and carry as we couldn't find a decent target 60 metres out. That resulted in a lot of the play being in their forward half of the ground, and repeat forward entries (many of which had very little penetration).

But if the Crows had scored a goal from the set shot, it would have been taken back to the middle, and removed the press from the equation. I remember after the Crows finally kicked a goal through Walker I thought it'd be interesting seeing what happened at the next centre bounce now that it was broken out of the press. The next centre clearance went the Crows way after Boak gave the ball up to Thompson but we got the ball back easily at half back, took it forward and goaled through Wingard, without the Crows getting an inside 50.

I thought the inside 50 discrepancy (during what seemed the most lopsided quarter on it) was mostly caused by the Crows being able to lock us deep in defence and us being forced to clear. Their inefficiency in front of goal (kicking 6 straight behinds) resulted in repeat forward entries due to the way they were able to establish a high press and force us to turn the ball over. The inside 50 count that quarter was 23 to 6. Without that quarter, the inside 50s would have been 48 to 36.

Scoreboard pressure also drives inside 50s. With us being a fair distance in front, the Crows often were forced to go all out attack, when we could play a more conservative game, ensuring we made the right choices. This drives poor inside 50s from them, whereas when we did have the ball, we were more careful with it, which resulted in a much higher disposal efficiency, and conversion rate.

Finally, both sides were playing a run and carry style of game, but we were able to match it with the forwards and (most of the time) not give them space on the counter-attack, whereas our forward line found space and made it easier to kick to them. Jenkins and Lynch were horrible, which allowed Trengove and Hombsch the ability to read incoming kicks and cut them off, causing more inside 50s, but again their press made it difficult to break out.

So, in my opinion, the inside 50 discrepancy from this game was entirely a symptom of the way it played it. For mine, Ken would be more disappointed with our inability to break the press in the second quarter, and to lose the clearances the way that we did at that stage of the game. Wines would make a huge difference, but if we're only one player away from a flag, we're nowhere near a flag.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-05-04/aflca-votes-round-five

Adelaide v Port Adelaide
9 R. Gray (PA)
6 Dangerfield (Adel)
6 Schulz (PA)
5 Boak (PA)
3 Betts (Adel)
1 Carlile (PA)

Interesting votes..my best crack below, assuming that the 1 for Carlile is from Hinkley.

Hinkley
5 Shulz
4 Gray
3 Boak
2 Dangerfield
1 Carlile

Walsh
5 Gray
4 Dangerfield
3 Betts
2 Boak
1 Shulz

How the * did Dangerfield get more votes than Betts?

Every time Betts got the ball I was shitting myself. Every time Dangerfield got it I sat back, relaxed and waited for the rebound 50.

Last edited:
All things being equal for the next Showdown I would like to see the Krak on Betts
see how the insufferable little smart arse goes then. The fumbles from both sides a product of pressure
imagined or real that come with these games. As for some bounces by running players not working
was wondering if it had anything to do with the Adelaide v Brisbane game on Friday night.
Normally the AO surface is predictable but less so yesterday.
Nathan Krakouer and Paddy Ryder add so much class to our team. Its WONDERFUL :D

What about those two slackjawed dickheads who lent forward to mouth off at Kane Mitchell after he'd gone over the fence?

Imagine the shitstorm if the roles were reversed. Typical feral scum and so forth.
On Saturday night i Had to sit through my mother in law prattling on about how she had to walk with her handbag held tightly and her her head down when she got out of her car at Footy Park for Showdowns. Smartly I kept my mouth shut and prevented a shitstorm of pain for myself...

But seriously 'mum' every team has a percentage of numb headed supporters - even the blessed Crows. So have a bit of class and understanding of society before you go bad mouthing (indirectly) someone's heritage just because he and his family were born in a certain suburb or region and support a different club to you.

Anyway frustration vented, now to the game:
Boak -outstanding
Gray - boner inducing
Two Dad's - your defence is being overlooked at the moment because of the dash off HB (frothy start to the year)
Carlisle - star, looks fit as and is giving his opponent nothing whilst hurting them in the rebound
Paddy Schulz and Westy - it's the combo that we've always dreamt of! Deadly accurate at the moment.

Now onto a bit of an easier stretch of games, where are the doubters now!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back