Player Watch Adam Oxley (Delisted 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiple people were calling for him to be dropped after he was quiet against (Adelaide?). Average call! He's been great this year thus far.
Langdon had a few shockers last year but was rarely dropped and that has paid dividends in the longer term. Need to keep giving this kid games now that we've seen what he can do!

Multiple people were calling for him to be dropped after he was quiet against (Adelaide?). Average call! He's been great this year thus far.
Langdon had a few shockers last year but was rarely dropped and that has paid dividends in the longer term. Need to keep giving this kid games now that we've seen what he can do!
Yeh most actually wanted him dropped after a poorer Anzac Day showing. Had a blinder against the Blues. It's consititency we need now from guys like him and Seedsman. The skill is there.

Unfortunately that is the nature of many 'selectors' on this site. One bad game in the AFL and you should be dropped. Conversely, one good game in the VFL and it is instant promotion. I expect our match committee to take in to consideration more than just last week when making these calls.

I was thinking earlier his body size/shape seems similar to Scharenberg (without looking at their official height/weight ). If Shaz played like this in his 7th AFL game there would be lots of excitement amoungst us all.
In short - Ox looks good
You're right, if Scharenberg had any of Ox's stats from this year in his first ten games, 33 touches etc, the Collingwood world would go ballistic, myself included. Lid would be off.

Unfortunately that is the nature of many 'selectors' on this site. One bad game in the AFL and you should be dropped. Conversely, one good game in the VFL and it is instant promotion. I expect our match committee to take in to consideration more than just last week when making these calls.

We live in an instant world

It's more important for where our club is at to actually give young players a string of games at AFL level rather than the chop after a single game. Whilst Gault's form is fairly average, it is please from my POV to see the club giving him every chance to develop. This is real important this season as we determine who will form the core nucleus of this group going into a few years of premiership contention.

I thought he was rubbish against Adelaide even though he had 33 possies but yknow, always happy to be proven wrong :)

Why are people not allowed to have doubts on players and need to apologise for that? If you said a player should be delisted its one thing. Simply saying your not sure if he is good enough doesn't warrant an apology. From memory I was ambivalent on Oxley. You can only have so many players in the team and I though he might be one that slips through the cracks. Looked very good against Carlton though. I liked that he played on the wing rather than defence.

Nobody minds when people have doubts, its more the "that guys a spud we should delist him and sack our entire football department for drafting him" sort of posts that get a bit annoying

Attention all: get on the Ox bandwagon! All aboard!

A few of us were on board in 2013, shame 2014 injuries delayed his progress. His biggest strengths are his reading of the play, his fearless intercept marking, his use of the footy, and his composure to take that extra second or 2 to size up options. He's back on track in 2015.

I was thinking earlier his body size/shape seems similar to Scharenberg (without looking at their official height/weight ). If Shaz played like this in his 7th AFL game there would be lots of excitement amoungst us all.
In short - Ox looks good

Said it quite a bit but reminds me of Shane Morwood. Probably throw in a bit of Gavin Crosisca as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard the club rated super highly an endless amount of times, why didnt I listen?? Why?!

Most surprising thing is his ability to rack up 25-30 touches.. didn't think he had that in him.
He plays as a loose man in defence much the same way Heath Shaw would rack them up. No one has made him accountable yet, Shaw struggled when the tag went on him in defence. Let's hope this goes unnoticed.

some people didnt see him play first year in the vfl when drafted as he rack up good numbers playing the same way he is now

He plays as a loose man in defence much the same way Heath Shaw would rack them up. No one has made him accountable yet, Shaw struggled when the tag went on him in defence. Let's hope this goes unnoticed.

Though Oxley is Taller then Heater but not as fast

I had doubts over him being any more than handy depth, I was wrong, he's been great. Good for him.
Langdon, Oxley, Ramsey and Seed are giving us a nice mix of skills, desperation, speed and composure in the back half/wing area that we haven't had for awhile.

Said it quite a bit but reminds me of Shane Morwood. Probably throw in a bit of Gavin Crosisca as well.

Yeah can see the morwood comparison but not so much crosisca, who I remember as a much more explosive type. I see maybe a bit of Shane Watson. Clean hands, good kick, seems calm at all times, smooth mover. Defensive side of game is the question mark.
I think we have at least three players battling for the mobile mid-size defender role: Oxley, Scharenberg and Langdon.... I suspect at least one of them will have to be tried forward to try to become a Breust-like matchup nightmare.

He's not been playing half back though has he?

He seems to be playing as a defensive winger, the same role that Lumumba used to play.

Maybe but I can't see him there in the long term. Don't think he has the wheels to really cut teams up on the counterattack. I see him as the link man who drifts off his man and then sets the wingmen free with a well weighted kick. Positions don't really exist that definitively any more either.

Yeah can see the morwood comparison but not so much crosisca, who I remember as a much more explosive type. I see maybe a bit of Shane Watson. Clean hands, good kick, seems calm at all times, smooth mover. Defensive side of game is the question mark.
I think we have at least three players battling for the mobile mid-size defender role: Oxley, Scharenberg and Langdon.... I suspect at least one of them will have to be tried forward to try to become a Breust-like matchup nightmare.
Oxley or Scharenberg will end up in midfield. Langdon will stay in defence

Remove this Banner Ad

Back