2015 South Australian Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Jonty Scharenberg Matthew's brother?

Jonty is Matt's brother, Cameron Hewett is George's bother and Riley Combe is the younger brother of Campbell.

Matt Allen seems to be going alright at the moment what can you tell me about him Chris25, Skippos?

He's having a pretty good start to the year. Has to be said though, that he isn't exactly being pushed in terms of quality opponents in the U18s. It's not a great year for tall defenders, and a number of other key position prospects are already playing at reserves level. That's what Allen needs to do to really push his name up. He's a good size at around 193cm and 93kg, and you can't argue with his production so far in the opening two rounds. More of a hard working CHF type, gets the ball on the end of leads as opposed to being a big contested marking forward. At the moment, I'd expect him to play for SA at the Championships so going against better opposition will be a good gauge and hopefully it improves his body work.

The best team in underaged football is back again in 2015, and they'll be looking to win another Championship to add to the trophy cabinet. And with 17 players from SA drafted across the two drafts last year, could another bumper year be on the cards? At the moment, it's not looking quite as good of a season for SA in terms of pure draft talent. But I imagine they'll again pick a side to win at the Championships, so there's no reason to think they wont do well again.

South Australia had 6 players chosen in the AFL/AIS program - Aaron Francis, Tim Sullivan, Ryan Burton, Luke Partington, Keiran Agius and Stephen Tahana. And it's safe to say they are the top 6 prospects from SA this year. As you'd expect so early in the year, the gap between them and the next group is pretty big. But that should shrink as the season progresses. The SA Academy itself can be found here.

My top 10 at this stage would look something like this...

1. Ryan Burton (190cm, 82kg from West Adelaide)
2. Aaron Francis (190cm, 88kg from West Adelaide)
3. Stephen Tahana (183cm, 79kg from North Adelaide)
4. Luke Partington (180cm, 75kg from Norwood)
5. Keiran Agius (187cm, 84kg from North Adelaide)
6. Tim Sullivan (198cm, 90kg from Glenelg)

Like I said, clear top 6. And versatility is the real highlight amongst these guys. We wont see a great deal of Burton until later in the year, as he recovers from a broken leg but he's a really talented forward that we saw in the Championships last year. He's your Gunston type forward, and if healthy will be the first South Australian taken. Francis and Agius are similar, in terms of both having played a lot as KPPs but just show something suggest to they could have an impact through the middle. Francis can play tall at either end, but moves incredibly well and I'm throwing him out as that Bontempelli type. And I'll be looking for similar progress through the year. Agius is along the lines of Stringer and Petracca, being that powerful medium forward who kicks a lot of goals. He has a bit to work on, but I imagine he'll play as a high half forward this year and should show something. I really like Tahana, I said last year he was the best defender I've seen come through the draft. He's just so composed, and now he'll be looking to move through the midfield too. Partington is the pick of the midfielders, gets a lot of production but at the moment I'd describe him more as neat than elite. I'll be watching how he compares to his peers this year. And finally, Sullivan will be our lead ruckman this year and also has the ability to play at either end.

7. Matthew Nunn (181cm, 76kg from Norwood)
8. Maris Olekalns (179cm, 70kg from North Adelaide)
9. Riley Bonner (189cm, 78kg from West Adelaide)
10. Wayne Milera (184cm, 74kg from Central Districts)

Rounding out the top 10 was much harder than it should have been, I could have plucked out a bunch of names. Nunn has the performances on the board, and will probably be part of the leadership group. While I've always liked Olekalns, will likely play through the midfield in the SANFL and across half back in the Championships. A little on the short side, but good pace and skills. Bonner and Milera are just guys who I'm hoping will develop nicely this year, Bonner has nice height and can play at either end. While Milera has flashed potential, and is in line for early senior action in the SANFL.

Other players who could at this stage push up would include Jordan Dawson, Cameron Hewett, Will Combe, Campbell Wildman, Kyle Presbury and most likely Will Snelling.

One thing that is lacking though, are key position players - at both ends of the ground, but particularly down back. Up forward, they could fashion a smaller attack with Burton, Agius and Dawson along with maybe Mackenzie Hansen. Otherwise, the most likely options would be Luke Surman (195cm, 95kg), Matthew Allen (194cm, 93kg) and Sam Gurney (196cm, 94kg). Down back, I don't think the selectors would have anyone pencilled in. The opening couple of months of the season will be very important, it wasn't until Keenan Ramsey was switched back late last year that they finally settled their line up after all. But if they were to play a game tomorrow, it would probably be Francis along with Kyle Broadwood (197cm, 85kg) and the underaged Sam Walker (186cm, 78kg). Of course the other option is to bring back an overaged player or two, something which SA always takes advantage of.
Aaron Francis & Riley Bonner are both 191cm, Francis played league footy on Sunday and showed some good signs v Sturt. Dawson was excellent for Sturts reserves but kicked 3 goals 6 behinds, took 8 marks 1 being contested. Really like the way he moves across the ground.

State U18 Squad Announced today -
The squad: Brendan Dew, Isaya Mckenzie, Wayne Milera, Kyle Presbury - Central District; Tim Sullivan, Matthew Allen, Mason Redman, Sam Walker, Jonty Scharenberg, Sam Stafford, Justin Evans- Glenelg; Mark Quinn, Oleg Markov, Keiran Agius, Ryan Burton, Will Combe, Jack Graham, Cameron Hewett, Maris Olekalns; Stephen Tahana – North; Peter Bampton, Peter Ladhams, Luke Surman, Luke Partington, Matthew Nunn, Harry Cross – Norwood; Jesse Moffa, Sam Gurney - South; Jordan Dawson, James Hargreaves, Campbell Wildman, Andre Parella, Steven Slimming, Andrew Coombe – Sturt; Jack Agostino, Aaron Francis, Hugh Haysman, Will Snelling, Harrison Westhoff, Riley Bonner, Jadyn Brind – West; Kyle Broadwood, Harrison Gameau, Harrison Jolly, Andy Georgeson, Luke Hoare –Eagles

Looks like a good squad of players all of whom are in solid form. A lot of senior league experience which is pleasing to see.

State U18 Squad Announced today -
The squad: Brendan Dew, Isaya Mckenzie, Wayne Milera, Kyle Presbury - Central District; Tim Sullivan, Matthew Allen, Mason Redman, Sam Walker, Jonty Scharenberg, Sam Stafford, Justin Evans- Glenelg; Mark Quinn, Oleg Markov, Keiran Agius, Ryan Burton, Will Combe, Jack Graham, Cameron Hewett, Maris Olekalns; Stephen Tahana – North; Peter Bampton, Peter Ladhams, Luke Surman, Luke Partington, Matthew Nunn, Harry Cross – Norwood; Jesse Moffa, Sam Gurney - South; Jordan Dawson, James Hargreaves, Campbell Wildman, Andre Parella, Steven Slimming, Andrew Coombe – Sturt; Jack Agostino, Aaron Francis, Hugh Haysman, Will Snelling, Harrison Westhoff, Riley Bonner, Jadyn Brind – West; Kyle Broadwood, Harrison Gameau, Harrison Jolly, Andy Georgeson, Luke Hoare –Eagles

Looks like a good squad of players all of whom are in solid form. A lot of senior league experience which is pleasing to see.

Where'd you see this? I can't find it anywhere. Good to see Markov and Bampton get another shot as overaged players, though.

First of all, just for the sake of it, here are some statistics from this past weekend...

League
Wayne Milera - 15 touches, 5 marks, 2 goals
Harry Cross - 4 touches, 5 tackles
Hugh Haysman - 11 touches, 3 marks, 3 inside 50s, 3 rebound 50s
Will Snelling - 8 touches, 7 tackles
Aaron Francis - 9 touches, 4 marks, 2 tackles

Reserves
Kyle Presbury - 22 touches, 3 clearances, 1 goal
Isaya McKenzie - 15 touches, 4 marks, 4 inside 50s, 3 goals
Brendan Dew - 14 touches, 5 clearances, 5 inside 50s
Stephen Tahana - 14 touches, 3 marks, 4 rebound 50s
Matthew Nunn - 34 touches, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 3 clearances
Luke Partington - 30 touches, 9 marks, 10 clearances, 1 goal, 2 behinds
Jordan Dawson - 23 touches, 8 marks, 3 clearances, 6 inside 50s, 3 goals, 6 behinds

U18s
Jake Comitogianni* - 29 touches, 4 clearances, 5 inside 50s
Luke Hoare - 25 touches, 10 marks, 5 goals, 2 behinds
Based Baqeri - 19 touches, 5 marks, 22 hitouts, 9 clearances, 5 inside 50s
Will Combe - 31 touches, 5 marks, 4 tackles, 8 clearances
Cameron Hewett - 21 touches, 4 clearances
Riley Bonner - 34 touches, 8 marks, 7 clearances, 8 inside 50s, 4 goals
Campbell Wildman - 29 touches, 5 tackles, 5 clearances

I included the names and performances I found interesting, so a few of the bigger names are missing from it this time.

Now about this squad....

Brendan Dew, Isaya Mckenzie, Wayne Milera, Kyle Presbury, Tim Sullivan, Matthew Allen, Mason Redman, Sam Walker, Jonty Scharenberg, Sam Stafford, Justin Evans, Mark Quinn, Oleg Markov, Keiran Agius, Ryan Burton, Will Combe, Jack Graham, Cameron Hewett, Maris Olekalns; Stephen Tahana, Peter Bampton, Peter Ladhams, Luke Surman, Luke Partington, Matthew Nunn, Harry Cross, Jesse Moffa, Sam Gurney, Jordan Dawson, James Hargreaves, Campbell Wildman, Andre Parella, Steven Slimming, Andrew Coombe, Jack Agostino, Aaron Francis, Hugh Haysman, Will Snelling, Harrison Westhoff, Riley Bonner, Jadyn Brind, Kyle Broadwood, Harrison Gameau, Harrison Jolly, Andy Georgeson, Luke Hoare

No official announcement yet, but it's what I imagined. Just before I saw this, I was working on my own predicted squad and I only had two players not named - Mackenzie Hansen from Sturt and Based Baqeri from the Eagles. So I think they may be a touch unlucky, but it's also easy to see why they would have missed. They've gone with quite a few talls and players capable of rucking, so someone had to miss out and that one was Baqeri who wasn't having a massive impact in the reserves. They probably went with the younger Ladhams as the depth option instead for developmental purposes. As for Hansen, there was simply a lot of competition for spots as that medium forward.

Surprises? Not too many, but Mark Quinn wasn't really on the radar at the start of the year. So he's worked his way into the side on performances. He's a smaller midfielder/flanker at around 178cm and 72kg. Otherwise, young ruckman Peter Ladhams would probably be the other I wasn't expecting. It was hard to pick the overaged kids to get a second chance, but I think they've done well. I assumed we'd see Oleg Markov and Peter Bampton after injuries hampered them in the 2014. Harrison Westhoff is a nice one, and will give more depth down back. James Hargreaves is also returning, he's a 31st of December birthday from last year so only just snuck in but didn't play a great deal. I believe he's around the 185cm range.

The underaged players for 2015 are Sam Walker, Jonty Scharenberg, Jack Graham, Andrew Coombe, Peter Ladhams and Steven Slimming. Some handy options in there, and I think we'll see a bit of Scharenberg, Graham, Slimming and maybe Walker.

And to help out those non South Australians, here is a rough guide to the key positions with the players in brackets being smalls and mediums who will also line up in those areas. Anyone I haven't mentioned is pretty much a midfielder. Although there are lots in that 185-188cm range who can play any number of positions, and could play permanent roles at either end...

Ruckmen - Sullivan, Parella, Gameau, Ladhams
Key Forwards - Allen, Burton, Surman, Gurney, Hoare (Agius, Dawson, McKenzie)
Key Defenders - Stafford, Broadwood, Westhoff, Francis (Walker, Tahana, Agostino, Cross)

I'm guessing Aaron Francis may play down back, more on need than anything else - although Luke Surman could be tried down back instead. How they line up in the forward half will be interesting. Luke Hoare could be the surprise, at around 194cm. Don't think anyone was really expecting Wilkie to play so much last year, and Hoare could be the same this time around - particularly if Burton is still out injured. I'm more interested in the medium forwards like Keiran Agius and Jordan Dawson though.

Official squad announcement is here. Preliminary squad of 47 that will be trimmed to 40 before the Championships. Apologies to Christopher Lodovici, who I missed in the previous post.

Pleased to see Markov and Bampton get a go. I really hope both come into fit and in good condition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went to see North v Sturt reserves to see Agius, Tahana, Olekals and Markov.
Wasn't disappointed with any of them.
Markov was very impressive - looks a real prospect but needs time in the gym. Tackled really well, kicking was great - a smaller version of Sam Mayes.
Agius is an old fashioned 'goal sneak' - doesn't look terribly fit though.

[QUOTE will n="Chris25, post: 38214148, member: 51975"]Now about this squad....

No official announcement yet, but it's what I imagined. Just before I saw this, I was working on my own predicted squad and I only had two players not named - Mackenzie Hansen from Sturt and Based Baqeri from the Eagles. So I think they may be a touch unlucky, but it's also easy to see why they would have missed. They've gone with quite a few talls and players capable of rucking, so someone had to miss out and that one was Baqeri who wasn't having a massive impact in the reserves. They probably went with the younger Ladhams as the depth option instead for developmental purposes. As for Hansen, there was simply a lot of competition for spots as that medium forward.

Surprises? Not too many, but Mark Quinn wasn't really on the radar at the start of the year. So he's worked his way into the side on performances. He's a smaller midfielder/flanker at around 178cm and 72kg. Otherwise, young ruckman Peter Ladhams would probably be the other I wasn't expecting. It was hard to pick the overaged kids to get a second chance, but I think they've done well. I assumed we'd see Oleg Markov and Peter Bampton after injuries hampered them in the 2014. Harrison Westhoff is a nice one, and will give more depth down back. James Hargreaves is also returning, he's a 31st of December birthday from last year so only just snuck in but didn't play a great deal. I believe he's around the 185cm range.

The underaged players for 2015 are Sam Walker, Jonty Scharenberg, Jack Graham, Andrew Coombe, Peter Ladhams and Steven Slimming. Some handy options in there, and I think we'll see a bit of Scharenberg, Graham, Slimming and maybe Walker.

And to help out those non South Australians, here is a rough guide to the key positions with the players in brackets being smalls and mediums who will also line up in those areas. Anyone I haven't mentioned is pretty much a midfielder. Although there are lots in that 185-188cm range who can play any number of positions, and could play permanent roles at either end...

Key Defenders - Stafford, Broadwood, Westhoff, Francis (Walker, Tahana, Agostino, Cross)

I'm guessing Aaron Francis may play down back, more on need than anything else - although Luke Surman could be tried down back instead. How they line up in the forward half will be interesting. Luke Hoare could be the surprise, at around 194cm. Don't think anyone was really expecting Wilkie to play so much last year, and Hoare could be the same this time around - particularly if Burton is still out injured. I'm more interested in the medium forwards like Keiran Agius and Jordan Dawson though.[/QUOTE]
Burton will not play this year which is terrible news for him and the squad . Dawson is a good player and will step up Aguis is my concern as I dont think he works hard enough re the underaged kids you'd expect Sharenberg to play as he is quality, Slimming burns the ball far to much so I'd leave him out. Their half back line will be interesting? Who do you play there? Tahana, Francis & Bonner?or do you throw in Westhoff?
Now about

I'm guessing Aaron Francis may play down back, more on need than anything else - although Luke Surman could be tried down back instead. How they line up in the forward half will be interesting. Luke Hoare could be the surprise, at around 194cm. Don't think anyone was really expecting Wilkie to play so much last year, and Hoare could be the same this time around - particularly if Burton is still out injured. I'm more interested in the medium forwards like Keiran Agius and Jordan Dawson though.

Went to see North v Sturt reserves to see Agius, Tahana, Olekals and Markov.
Wasn't disappointed with any of them.
Markov was very impressive - looks a real prospect but needs time in the gym. Tackled really well, kicking was great - a smaller version of Sam Mayes.
Agius is an old fashioned 'goal sneak' - doesn't look terribly fit though.
Nemisis

Round 5 stats for the SA squad players...

League
Harry Cross - 10 touches, 6 tackles
Jonty Scharenberg* - 9 touches, 4 tackles
Wayne Milera - 10 touches, 4 marks, 5 tackles
Will Snelling - 27 touches, 5 marks, 4 clearances
Hugh Haysman - 16 touches
Aaron Francis - 14 touches, 5 marks

Reserves
Peter Bampton - 25 touches, 4 tackles, 4 clearances, 2 goals
Luke Partington - 25 touches, 4 marks
Matthew Nunn - 24 touches, 5 marks, 5 clearances, 5 inside 50s
Christopher Lodovici - 21 touches, 6 marks
Jack Graham* - 24 touches, 4 marks, 2 goals
Oleg Markov - 18 touches, 9 marks, 6 tackles, 3 goals
Maris Olekalns - 17 touches, 5 marks, 6 inside 50s, 3 goals, 2 behinds
Stephen Tahana - 17 touches, 7 tackles
Mark Quinn - 12 touches, 4 clearances, 4 inside 50s
Kyle Presbury - 21 touches, 6 clearances
Brendan Dew - 12 touches, 8 tackles, 1 goal
Isaya McKenzie - 9 touches, 4 marks, 3 goals

U18s
Harrison Gameau - 13 touches, 4 marks, 13 hitouts, 1 goal
Kyle Broadwood - 12 touches, 5 marks
Peter Ladhams* - 7 touches, 35 hitouts

Terrible news for Tim Sullivan who's done his ACL after falling off a motorbike on the family farm.

Parrella is probably capable of leading that ruck division with his sheer size compared to most u/18 ruckmen but I don't like what he offers around the ground at the moment. Definitely a bad loss.

Terrible news for Tim Sullivan who's done his ACL after falling off a motorbike on the family farm.

Parrella is probably capable of leading that ruck division with his sheer size compared to most u/18 ruckmen but I don't like what he offers around the ground at the moment. Definitely a bad loss.
Which other ruck men do you think are capable?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back