Gambling "epidemic" amongst AFL players.

Remove this Banner Ad

teknodeejay

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Arsenal
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...s-hidden-problem/story-fni0fit3-1227335236677

The AFL will shortly announce a new range of measures to help players.

“Ultimately, one player struggling with a gambling problem is one too many,’’ said Andrew Dillon, the AFL’s general counsel.

I believe the AFL is standing in its own dirt here, in that it is directly involved in the business of advocating people to develop "gambling problems" by being directly associated with betting companies. Everything about AFL is about gambling. Every TV show and ad break is sponsored by a gambling company... sportsbet, centrebet, ladbrokes, crown, bet365, tab... school kids in the train are being well groomed to develop gambling habits when they talk about "Collingwood being 1.80 favorites"...

If I wanted to get some news on the mouth watering spectacle that will be Carl v Bris on Sunday - http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2015/6/carl-v-bl - I get prompted to BET NOW.

Whilst the AFL cannot be directly responsible for players wanting to have a punt on any sport, their lucrative endorsements and being in bed with the bookies means their words are hypocritical. If they really wanted to make a stand, they'd scrap all advertising with bookmakers on their site, at the ground and in any official AFL items.

It was interesting to hear that goose Radar Maher handle a call this morning that questioned SEN lamenting the plight of gambling addicted footballers whilst being so far up the bookies' arses they've disappeared.

Nobody cares whilst the $$$ are flying about like confetti. It is that simple.

As an aside, does anyone know if clubs/AFL have mandatory financial planning sessions with each player? I've never heard anything along these lines, and I would be very surprised if the clubs at least didn't organise for each player to sit down with a professional and chat about their dosh.

There are 2 problems here.

One is the amount of disposable income footballers have and the other is the "dead time" they have when not training or playing.

If you look at the prevalence of illicit drugs and gambling, it seems the players are in many cases throwing away whatever they get and not investing in their futures.

Compare this to the 1980's.

Footballers worked in full-time jobs and trained 2 nights a week. Partied on Saturday nights after playing (oh and many Pleasant Sunday mornings too).

The use of drugs and gambling wasn't as prevalent. Sure there were still punters (Crackers Keenan and Jim Buckley 2 noted ones). But, because they didn't have so much "dead time" the problems weren't as bad.

As an aside, does anyone know if clubs/AFL have mandatory financial planning sessions with each player? I've never heard anything along these lines, and I would be very surprised if the clubs at least didn't organise for each player to sit down with a professional and chat about their dosh.

How much planning does it take to buy a couple of racehorses?

Yeah you'd have to think they do. You'd also have to question if they are working. Definitely something that could help a lot though

Yeah you'd have to think they do. You'd also have to question if they are working. Definitely something that could help a lot though

For sure. Would probably nip a lot of problems in the bud...pretty hard to walk into your yearly meeting and explain to the bloke where $100k went...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's an amusing conflict of interest, the AFL is a major part of the push to normalise gambling through acculturation via advertising but worries about it's players gambling too much. I should also add the type of gambling they normalise is the one where the bookies win, hence the new subtle messaging about it being about the thrill of it. Because as we know if you win too much they don't let you gamble anyway.

So gambling is this context refers to fools throwing their money away.

I am fairly sure that the AFLPA assists with this.

I was once flicking through a copy of an 'AFLPA Player's Handbook' (or similar) and I believe it mentioned how they run various themed seminars targeted at the first-year rookie players.

I don't reckon there can be too many excuses in that regard. ;)

Nice little blitz about gambling here, seems to have got the illicit drugs issue out of the papers. What a coincidence...
This has been an issue for years. Get your hand off it.

Be interesting to see how the AFL handles it given their obsession with gambling sponsorships.

I've seen an AFL player pulled away from his family's financial planner (fee for service, no conflict, no product pushing) by his management company because "they knew" which shares to pick. Would be interested to know how often management companies have great ideas like that for players' money.

As far as actual gambling, I wouldn't doubt most clubs would have an ex-player or two on staff with issues. That would be more influential than advertising.

I've seen an AFL player pulled away from his family's financial planner (fee for service, no conflict, no product pushing) by his management company because "they knew" which shares to pick. Would be interested to know how often management companies have great ideas like that for players' money.

As far as actual gambling, I wouldn't doubt most clubs would have an ex-player or two on staff with issues. That would be more influential than advertising.

I would say the AFL should have a "players fund" where all players are required to put, say 25% of their income into the fund.

the problem is it would be horrendously mismanaged - bit like most of our super funds. If you knew the kind of s**t that happens in the union worker super funds, multiply it by about 5 you'd get the level of corruption in an AFL backed one tbh.

B0lUuBbCcAE12Su.jpg

"Remember when I let in that escaped lunatic because he was dressed like Santa Claus? Well YOU have a gambling problem!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back