News Leppa and ZOB - Clash of the Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if they play well it means ... and if they (continue) to play poorly it means ... ?

Probably still play like s**t but I am talking about effort. If the effort goes back even further Leppa will have lost the players IMO.

Justin Leppitch - Aged 39 191cm Coach.
Zac O'Brien - Aged 24 183cm Player.

Apparently the two have apologised to each other and "moved on."

The thing that is disturbing here, apart from the physical imbalance between Leppitsch and O'Brien, is the power imbalance that exists between the two men. I wonder how Zac O'Brien's parents feel about the matter and I equally wonder what it says to other young players or their families. I'm sorry, but the two "passionate people" excuse is right up there with the bullies claim the he was "only joking."

I appreciate that people will have a different take on how serious a failing this is on Leppitsch's part, but I am fairly sure we all agree that we wished it hadn't happened.

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

You reckon this glance up at 34secs is to Leppa, standing over him?
zob.JPG

"Is that right, Mr. Leppitsch?"

Zob's parents? He's 24.

He doesn't have a family then? Or perhaps they stop caring about him.

I work in a profession where an enormous amount of time and energy goes into addressing the issue of bullying and dealing with the consequences of bullying for the victims and their families. It is clear that there are no shortage of people who seem to think that Leppitsch's behaviour is somehow ok because it is in a sporting club. I happen to think it isn't. Just as I think apprentices should not be subjected to violence in the workplace, or students at schools or nurses at work, or cadets in the armed forces etc etc

With most of this sort of behaviour, if people want to see how this stuff works write down what happened and then insert the words "Your Honour" at the end of the sentence.

patfullfankezz

Puhuhuhuhu!
Jul 28, 2011
Brisbane!
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Heat, Wigan Athletic
for cripes sake.

Haven't we all blown up at someone close to us when tension is high? They had a barney, both realized that they were a bit silly, apologized and hopefully have learned from this.

No point hanging on, because that's when someone gets hit by a car and you don't get to say sorry.

Tassie4ever

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Hawthorn
I'd be a lot more impressed if Leppa shirtfronted Leuenberger and tore one off him for playing well under expectations. And pay scale. Which he is. We really need him right now, performing as we know he can.

At least O'Brien is getting a kick.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not seeing how the response in any way reflects well on Leppa. He took a heat of the moment comment and made it into a physical confrontation. This remains an employment situation and I would expect O'Brien would have a rightful expectation that his employers would take appropriate action against the individual.

I would expect ZOB to be very frustrated atm and would probably rightly expect to be getting games given how we are travelling and given that he did pretty well when he did get a chance this year. Leppa has his favourites and O'Brien is clearly not one of them*. He acted inappropriately and should have been sat and a word had with him after things cooled down.

Leppa is clearly under pressure and took a nuclear option. A stupid thing to do imho.

We have no evidence for this* other than the fact that some on this board think that ZoB should be selected in the best 22 and instead he is playing reserves. There is always more to these things than meets the eye and if ZoB is on the outer why was he not delisted at the end of last year or why was he an elevated rookie replacement this year?

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We have no evidence for this* other than the fact that some on this board think that ZoB should be selected in the best 22 and instead he is playing reserves. There is always more to these things than meets the eye and if ZoB is on the outer why was he not delisted at the end of last year or why was he an elevated rookie replacement this year?

I think also not getting an extended run in the seniors and perceived better form eg this season Robertson hadn't seemed to do a lot in the reserves but got selected and ZoB has consistently played quite well and was only given the one game as a sub when the team got smashed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back