2015 QFA North

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone but Nambour vs Aspley played this weekend what's the go there? Did one forfeit?

Word is that there is a good chance Mayne will join the QAFL next year!

Hopefully if they do then a club will come into the QFA north comp!! Don't need a 6 team comp...
Smy nothing is confirmed but there is word that a couple of current QAFL clubs want out end of this year don't know who. As you know when these news comps created it was a 2 year deal, so that finishes this year, might add some weight to changes.

Would you want to go in Tiger G?
Mayne have been very successful in last 2/3 yrs, but prior to that struggled. Do you think you are capable of stepping up and being a serious finals contender within a yr or 2? Are Mayne not happy to be a very strong player in the North comp rather than making up numbers in the QAFL?
Can they sustain the step up in financial costs, compete with others to recruit, get commitment from current players to increase training commitments?
The ground surface would need improvement as would the social facilities.
I reckon if the answer is no to any of these then you should stay where you are.

Smy nothing is confirmed but there is word that a couple of current QAFL clubs want out end of this year don't know who. As you know when these news comps created it was a 2 year deal, so that finishes this year, might add some weight to changes.
Reckon we will see considerable changes across all divisions

Would you want to go in Tiger G?
Mayne have been very successful in last 2/3 yrs, but prior to that struggled. Do you think you are capable of stepping up and being a serious finals contender within a yr or 2? Are Mayne not happy to be a very strong player in the North comp rather than making up numbers in the QAFL?
Can they sustain the step up in financial costs, compete with others to recruit, get commitment from current players to increase training commitments?
The ground surface would need improvement as would the social facilities.
I reckon if the answer is no to any of these then you should stay where you are.
Do you honestly think they will go into this blind? They are doing well financially for many years they were recognised for being on time and with ease in paying their fees. Their facilities have improved considerably just installed lights on their second oval. before QFA North was started there success was developing a few of good seasons in Allied Pickford cup just missing finals then winning Gf undefeated etc.
They have developed a good core talented youth that can step up to replace the older players, they have developed a thirds side this year which will developed further in time. They wouldn't be world beaters but they would competitive surely they would recruit some decent talent. They have a great group of people working hard to do it the right way.

Certainly have some good people around the playing group off field now that weren't there before - with really good contacts as well to players which will help. Good luck with it.
I know it is all speculation TT but what changes do you think may also occur? I think you have said before that Springwood should come in to the QAFL. I know for a fact that UQ do not pay anyone (other than coach I would assume). Cannot believe they can continue to remain competitive at this level without doing so. The odd scholarship is rubbish imo. They would be a really good next tier down footy club. No idea re Sandgate or Surfers but unfortunately in the main, $$ make a difference as you move up the levels in terms of recruiting players and holding players to account re commitment as well. If you can breed a good junior program then certainly you can reduce costs (a la a Morningside) but you still need to spend a fair bit to attract those game changer players.

Certainly have some good people around the playing group off field now that weren't there before - with really good contacts as well to players which will help. Good luck with it.
I know it is all speculation TT but what changes do you think may also occur? I think you have said before that Springwood should come in to the QAFL. I know for a fact that UQ do not pay anyone (other than coach I would assume). Cannot believe they can continue to remain competitive at this level without doing so. The odd scholarship is rubbish imo. They would be a really good next tier down footy club. No idea re Sandgate or Surfers but unfortunately in the main, $$ make a difference as you move up the levels in terms of recruiting players and holding players to account re commitment as well. If you can breed a good junior program then certainly you can reduce costs (a la a Morningside) but you still need to spend a fair bit to attract those game changer players.
Thanks for that easy question SMY... Think there may be a relaxation of " the 7 pillars" for starters or at least for the first 1-2 years of any side accepting promotion. This would make it a more viable proposition for sides like Springwood and Mayne to re- enter the top div.
As for QFA, although it may cause some angst, I think they might condense the nth & Sth conferences, particularly with the possibility of the nth being reduced to 6 teams. QAFA A should have promotion with similar provisions made as QFA sides being promoted. QAFA b is what it is, but seems pointless having 5 teams in the Sth and 4 in the nth conferences. Maybe evening out the numbers across all 3 might make it more interesting for those involved at that level. Far be it for me to pre-empt the AFLQ though!!
Also think, considering the lower divs weekly struggle for numbers, maybe having 16 players onfield ( eg no wings ) with 3 interchange players would be worth considering. It's a lot easier to find 19 players per team than 22. This would apply from QAFA A down ( Yes, the old VFA model ).

Last edited:
Also think, considering the lower divs weekly struggle for numbers, maybe having 16 players onfield ( eg no wings ) with 3 interchange players would be worth considering. It's a lot easier to find 19 players per team than 22. This would apply from QAFA A down ( Yes, the old VFA model ).

I think that happens semi regularly in the QAFA B anyway, teams fielding less than 18 was common place in the past - not so much anymore though.

As for Mayne moving to QAFL, I like the idea - my only worry is that they still have some serious top level talent that props the side up and I worry that without your Faulkner, Daly and Housego type players they are not going to be at all competitive in the QAFL. These guys aren't young, but I don't see their depth being as good as it needs to be to move up. Just my opinion, but Housego would have to be 35+ now, Faulkner wouldn't be far behind and Daly must be 30 at least.

I think that happens semi regularly in the QAFA B anyway, teams fielding less than 18 was common place in the past - not so much anymore though.

As for Mayne moving to QAFL, I like the idea - my only worry is that they still have some serious top level talent that props the side up and I worry that without your Faulkner, Daly and Housego type players they are not going to be at all competitive in the QAFL. These guys aren't young, but I don't see their depth being as good as it needs to be to move up. Just my opinion, but Housego would have to be 35+ now, Faulkner wouldn't be far behind and Daly must be 30 at least.
Housego won't play Faulkner too Daly would be a good chance in staying as player coach. But first if they went up they would recruit accordingly but have good core of youth who have been around for sometime and developing quite well. On the weekend Housego was rested Faulkner kicked 5 goals just before half time then pulled a hammy so the younger toiled solidly and stood up and finished off the job. Mayne wouldn't go up if they felt they weren't ready yet, people have to start forgetting the past the club developed very well since the bad days, no one wants to go back there again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally agree.

I just can't see any quality in that side of the ilk of Daly, Housego and Faulkner. I wouldn't be moving up to the QAFL until these guys are replaced with players of similar quality, either via development from within, or recruitment (like how they got Daly in the first place)

Totally agree.

I just can't see any quality in that side of the ilk of Daly, Housego and Faulkner. I wouldn't be moving up to the QAFL until these guys are replaced with players of similar quality, either via development from within, or recruitment (like how they got Daly in the first place)

Whilst the 3 above are of very high quality (I would add Caleb Brown to that list as well), I would have thought that footy was a team sport and relies on 18 on the field working together to be successful and that Mayne have a very good spread of talent.

Mayne beat both UQ and Sandgate in 2013 each time by over 70 points and both those teams went into the QAFL in 2014 and again beat UQ this year in the pre season comp. With an unbeaten season in 2014, with premierships in both grades and currently in a good position in both grades, I find it hard to suggest that Mayne should be not be considered for the QAFL and with the potential addition of some NEAFL players might assist in making them a very competitive side in the QAFL.

Real good points QAFL - if those 3 didn't play then it could be problematic. Maynes Colts are okay without being anything sensational, and I think people conveniently forget that there is a major step up to QAFL footy from QFA.

Part of the reason why Brown Housego other than winning a gf, was to help to develop the younger group, we are also gaining players stepping up through Everton Juniors ranks, again it would issues would have been thought through already, so if they do go up not going into it blindfolded.

Does anyone think Noosa or Maroochy would go up if offered?

No doubt Tiger - I think the memory of the bad old days would weigh heavily on those making this decision for sure. If offered to then i'm sure all the ducks will be lined up.
Hard to say with either club - look, people beat their chests and always say "must play the highest possible standard" etc but I would put something in front of that as a priority for a footy club - to stay afloat. If going up a division means financial ruin (as it has shown to be for many a footy club around Oz) then not sure you would do so. Going up does not mean "having to win the comp in 3 years". Yes be competitive but not at any cost. Create relationships with other clubs in the region with your better juniors, make sure they have a pathway they can follow, see if you can pick up some blokes coming back the other way, leave your egos in the car park.

I would have thought that one of the AFLQ's mantra would have been to have a QAFL side on the sunshine coast at some point though.

No doubt Tiger - I think the memory of the bad old days would weigh heavily on those making this decision for sure. If offered to then i'm sure all the ducks will be lined up.
Hard to say with either club - look, people beat their chests and always say "must play the highest possible standard" etc but I would put something in front of that as a priority for a footy club - to stay afloat. If going up a division means financial ruin (as it has shown to be for many a footy club around Oz) then not sure you would do so. Going up does not mean "having to win the comp in 3 years". Yes be competitive but not at any cost. Create relationships with other clubs in the region with your better juniors, make sure they have a pathway they can follow, see if you can pick up some blokes coming back the other way, leave your egos in the car park.

I would have thought that one of the AFLQ's mantra would have been to have a QAFL side on the sunshine coast at some point though.
I agree with QAFL needs a team from Sunny Coast be it Maroochy or Noosa. I reckon most clubs would have the common sense not to step up if if it is not feasible in every sense, Mayne knocked back the first offer to go up, they have been working hard to right the wrongs. You are right, whoever go's up needs time settle in, but do it right success will come.

Caloundra were getting pumped every week. Maroochydore struggled

Thanks for that easy question SMY... Think there may be a relaxation of " the 7 pillars" for starters or at least for the first 1-2 years of any side accepting promotion. This would make it a more enviable proposition for sides like Springwood and Mayne to re- enter the top div.
As for QFA, although it may cause some angst, I think they might condense the nth & Sth conferences, parti
Real good points QAFL - if those 3 didn't play then it could be problematic. Maynes Colts are okay without being anything sensational, and I think people conveniently forget that there is a major step up to QAFL footy from QFA.

No doubt about the step up between divisions being significant but this is where AFLQ could help by softening the financial burden in particular, for sides who choose to be promoted, for the first 1-2 years after promotion.

Whilst the 3 above are of very high quality (I would add Caleb Brown to that list as well), I would have thought that footy was a team sport and relies on 18 on the field working together to be successful and that Mayne have a very good spread of talent.

It is. But at QFA Level, guys like Faulkner, Housego and Daly can completely dominate. IMO, you take those 3 out and they are a QFA side, not a QAFL side - the depth isn't there.

Those 3 are better players than the best players in some QAFL teams, but there is a gulf in the Mayne side, not seen in the better QAFL sides.

You raise an interesting point about UQ, they lost by 40 goals 2 weeks ago. Do Mayne want to go down that path again?

It is. But at QFA Level, guys like Faulkner, Housego and Daly can completely dominate. IMO, you take those 3 out and they are a QFA side, not a QAFL side - the depth isn't there.

Those 3 are better players than the best players in some QAFL teams, but there is a gulf in the Mayne side, not seen in the better QAFL sides.

You raise an interesting point about UQ, they lost by 40 goals 2 weeks ago. Do Mayne want to go down that path again?
Mate again don't you think Mayne want to go down that path and they haven't thought things through? They have better depth than you think, Faulkner and Housey playing in the forward how do you think the ball gets down there?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back