2015 Draft, Trade & Free Agent Discussion & Speculation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

You would think we would be outbid for any decent midfielder by some other team in WA.

You would think that... then again they seem supremely pleased with their #infinitemastens and all we need is for them to have a decent enough year (finals) and I am sure they would go back to thinking their midfield is strong. ;)

The west seems to hail Yeo as the answer to the midfield in the future!

Brandon Matera and Harley Bennell just suspended for being on the beers after the Q Clash.

This year is the year to go hard at some of the WA boys up on the GC.
I'm concerned that the GC may have Melbourne'd up their players. They have so many high draft picks and none of them are living up to their potential. A few years being lazy on a footy field because you've got GAJ carrying you is a hard habit to break. And their 1 win this year reflects that.

O'Meara though.. I'd totally go that if he can prove there's no lasting weakness/injury in that knee.

There are SOME playing to their potential. Some guys play well but have discipline issues, some have turned into spuds. I'd have time for Bennell, O'Meara, Swallow & Martin if they wanted to head home. Most of them play well, but would be much better under Ross Lyon.

A couple of players I would be keen on us showing an interest in who haven't been discussed heaps;

Acres and Cripps; both big bodied midfielders. If either of Crozier or Sheridan want out perhaps these could be the target trades.
Shaw; If he wants home could come cheap, and I certainly would not overpay given his injury history and lack of any track record at AFL level.
Kersten; Not quite the right size, but not exactly too short either. Geelong recruited ready to go tall forwards, so it is difficult to see his role there. Sure he wanted out of WA, and he got that. Maybe things have changed.
Cluery; A KPD at Port. I was interested in him during his draft year and he seems to have just sat on PAs list, with little prospect of getting a game. Not going to be a superstar, but is getting to a good age, and I think role players in our backline work well.
McKenzier; GCFC. Decent disposal, decent tallish defender, and may have an issue with staying with them after being reprimanded.

Anyway, a couple of other players worth discussing a bit more imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you mean Cripps from Carlton we are no chance. Acres had a leg injury he has just got over.
Not as though the club would see the need to actively pursue them but yeah, Neither Carlton's Cripps or Acres are going anywhere. Both respective teams will be building their midfields around them in the next few years, and they'll be paid well for it you would assume.

Harley Bennell is an interesting one. GC are considering putting him up for trade. Has bucket loads of talent and is already a gun at AFL level. You would probably have to say that he has had a better AFL career than S Hill, to date. But would he be able to keep up with the demands of our game plan? Is he too much of a risk with his bad behaviour? His trade value would be high, but he could add immensely to our team.

I think Blakely will be our Acres/Cripps. Each year recently there has been a big bodied WA mid in the draft and you just know they'll come on in a few years. I'd imagine WCE would pay through the nose for either of those guys.

Ballard also fits the big mid mould.He is the form mid at Peel at the minute.

Harley Bennell is an interesting one. GC are considering putting him up for trade. Has bucket loads of talent and is already a gun at AFL level. You would probably have to say that he has had a better AFL career than S Hill, to date. But would he be able to keep up with the demands of our game plan? Is he too much of a risk with his bad behaviour? His trade value would be high, but he could add immensely to our team.
I've read this sentence 5 times and I'm sure you have missed a "not" somewhere. Maybe between the has and had.

Yep, that sounds better, He has NOT had a better career than S Hill, to date.

Say that again.

If Bennell is open to a trade, hard to see us trumping WC. They will be all over him like a bad rash and might be able to get him with their first draft pick (and maybe something else).

As for GC in general, it doesn't surprise me to see the way they are going. Injuries have been tough, but I never thought it was a given they'd dominate. Same with GWS (who probably look a bit better placed). It's just so hard to wipe away the stench of continually being thrashed, and these kids haven't received the proper development nor good coaching that a top club would provide.

You would think that... then again they seem supremely pleased with their #infinitemastens and all we need is for them to have a decent enough year (finals) and I am sure they would go back to thinking their midfield is strong. ;)

The west seems to hail Yeo as the answer to the midfield in the future!

Not if he only asks for a trade to us. Do you want to play with Fyfe, Hill, Barlow and never get tagged or Priddis, Masten and Gaff.

That should make his decision easy.

Not as though the club would see the need to actively pursue them but yeah, Neither Carlton's Cripps or Acres are going anywhere. Both respective teams will be building their midfields around them in the next few years, and they'll be paid well for it you would assume.
Last season Acres was the longest signed WA player, I think he signed a five year deal with St Kilda.

I would expect WC to smoke us on any deals done. Their drafting in the past has been average.
Wellingham, Yeo, shows their recruiting dept are inept, and they will do deals to cover up the
cracks. No midfield depth, developing for years in the two's, will be desperate to hoodwink
the sycophants again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back