List Mgmt. 2015 LIST Discussion - trades, free agency etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
we need some talls, we need some mids, we need a project ruck. We need a lot.

Yes we do, but we need some perspective too.

We are already 3/4 or the way through our "rebuild", we have plenty of young depth, at least on the flanks.
Cripps, Docherty, Byrne, Sheehan, Viojo-Rainbow, Smith, Boekhorst, Whiley, and hopefully Walsh, Giles, Foster & Fields are the base for our future.
The recruiting of Jones and Tutt was a hail Mary which is not shaping well. Neither is a complete bust, but Jones no better than Watson, and
Tutt behind Boekhorst, Byrne, (soon)DVR. Have taken list spots we could have used for a young ruck and/or small forward like Lonie.

We do not need to sell the farm. One poster suggested Gibbs is in need of a shoulder op after his preseason mishap. The inroads he made last year suggest to me he may be playing under duress to prop up the list. Not doing us or himself any favours going 50-80%, this year is a bust, if he has issues the club needs to address them. If not, yes, show him the door to the highest bidder. Suspect we will not know the full story.

If Yarran and/or Menzel are not more committed to the collective cause than their own, they are the trade bait. We would love to keep them both with the appropriate commitment as they are potential superstars, but most of our kids have the right attitude, anyone who doesn't is not a priority, no matter how talented.

The only free agent worth sacrificing picks for would be Rance who would be a massive upgrade in our back half.

With the right structures our existing KPP's can do the job for a year or 3 while we develop some existing kids and draftees.

A fit Kreuzer and Thomas would make a monumental difference. Lets get the best available ruckman after our 3rd or 4th pick, and take on one of the athletic yankee project rucks, who would not limit our local drafting.

Do not want to see a fire sale. Just the best possible trade off for any who may not want to buy in.

Be nice if we could delist Wood and Warnock sooner rather then later.

We badly need another ruck man who isn't complete s**t.

I keep thinking we should try Casboult as a ruckman. near 200cm and an OK field kick. Would provide a handy get out option too.

I also think his kicking at goal woud improve with greate involvement around the ground.

I keep thinking we should try Casboult as a ruckman. near 200cm and an OK field kick. Would provide a handy get out option too.

I also think his kicking at goal woud improve with greate involvement around the ground.

Stop gap measure which got us Docherty. A-grade result.

Still leaves out with a midfield that is crying out for a competitive ruck and every team needs two decent rucks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy now?

Australian_bush02.jpg

We'll find a way to nudge ourselves up to 11-12 and make those pics plenty more speculative. I guarantee.

I suspect the same and I was begging the Saints to beat Essendon the other day. Its terrible to want us to lose, but we need to put where we are into perspective. We suck and this isn't a quick fix.

We need 3 years at least of 5 picks each year in the top 40 of the draft. Chances are, at least 2 of the 5 won't work (especially knowing our luck at the draft) so if we look at bare minimum 3 decent players each year get us an extra 9. Anything else is a bonus.

I actually hope SOS rips this team to shreds tbh. We all know that we have some really good players in Doc, Cripps, Jaksch etc that look like being around for the next 8-10 years. We also have the likes of Menzel, Yaz etc that may or may not want to stay. If they don't, then send them packing.

If we look at this year coming and really are wanting to make a statement, we really need to cut some beloved players. People keep saying that we need to have a core senior group and I agree, somewhat. If you look at GWS compared to GCS, GWS went more young players and let them grow together while GCS wanted to bring in more senior players and looking at it there maybe only a few really good seniors and lots of those were busts.

Obviously we won't have the picks and that GWS were granted, but if we play this rebuild right, we shouldn't need them. Cripps and Doc equal guns. Both are born leaders and both are players you can build a team around. Yes, both aren't KPP that you can build a side around but they are quality players.

Murphy stays but I would love it if he let the captaincy go. Not sure he would be happy with that but I feel the captaincy is a burden for him. Yes, he has had a few decent weeks, but in my eyes he isn't a type of captain that forces his team to lift like Hodge/Selwood etc.

Gibbs I feel needs to go. Injured or not, he is a good player but will he be around for our next premiership tilt. Doubt it. Cash in now. He clearly is worth a first round pick. I saw someone mention he would be a perfect replacement for Buygoyne from the Hawks. If they gave us their first (probably around pick 18???) along with Billy Hartung I would happily send Gibbs and our 3rd pick to them.

I would much prefer to keep Yarran. Missing him over the past two weeks is evident to our run. It's gone. If he does want out, we have the option of holding him one more year and then letting him go via FA but will someone pay a high amount for him for us to get a first round pick straight after ours? Not sure. He clearly is worth a first round pick and if WCE offered up their first for him (8-12) I think we should take it.

Menzel the same as Yaz. If he wants out, then he is worth a pick 15-20. Not too bad of a return but I would much prefer to keep him.

Walker will stay and even if we did put him up for trade I cannot see someone giving us a pick in the top 40 for him.

Hendo. Best played down back and if he was wanting out, a pick between 8-15 would make it happen. I don't want him to leave, but he will be 26 at the end of this year so if we want to go young, it may not be a bad idea.

So, if all of the players mentioned do leave and we actually get the best available picks for the mentioned, we would go into this draft with picks (If we finished 2nd last as no one wants the spoon): 2, 8 (Hendo), 10 (Yarran), 15 (Menzel), 18 + Hartung (Gibbs), 20 (our 2nd round pick)
Thats 6 picks inside the top 20. If you look at the game we played this week against Collingwood, out of all the players that I have put here for trade only Hendo and Gibbs played. Hendo was off injured and Gibbs stunk it up. So, by letting these players go, we would be any worse off than this horror week plus have 6 kids in the top 20 on our list.

I am sure most of these players I have mentioned wont be traded, but looking at it we wouldn't go much further behind this horror week but add much needed youth and quality youth at that.

I appreciate what you're trying to do HCJ, but the team you put out there would have the living day lights beaten out of it. Not just on the scoreboard.

I think we'd end up as a feeder club for ******* Hawthorn. Low finish = high draft pick, lose said recruit via FA or trade because we don't think they'll stay. Rinse and repeat.

Is Will Minson worthwhile picking up for 2/3 years ? Yes he is bit of a pill of a bloke, but was AA 2 years ago..

Whats Cam Giles like?

I know he's been injured, but before that? or may he get culled end of year and we'll never know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back