Resource 2014 Annual Reports - ALl clubs now complete (in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Im not sure what the arrangements are at Spotless Stadium - but the Giants are neither owners nor operators and probably make nothing from it. The Manuka Oval rights are nothing to do with the Giants.

I thought that it was only called Star Track Oval during the footy season. My memory of the original announcement of the deal that it was to be called Manuka Oval for the rest of the year (ie: cricket season). It was one of the ways they "sold" it to the Canberra public. - "don't worry - we haven't gone and sold the name of the stadium - it's just for the footy season - 3 games per year (and the few NEAFL games there)"

That may have changed, but if it is the case I would think that while the deal would not be as large as other naming stadium deals, we see a larger slice of the naming rights dollar than otherwise.

As for the spotless deal, we're the ones who brought them on, they're one of our 'partners' so I would expect that we get something more than nothing out of it.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
I thought that it was only called Star Track Oval during the footy season. My memory of the original announcement of the deal that it was to be called Manuka Oval for the rest of the year (ie: cricket season). It was one of the ways they "sold" it to the Canberra public. - "don't worry - we haven't gone and sold the name of the stadium - it's just for the footy season - 3 games per year (and the few NEAFL games there)"

That may have changed, but if it is the case I would think that while the deal would not be as large as other naming stadium deals, we see a larger slice of the naming rights dollar than otherwise.

As for the spotless deal, we're the ones who brought them on, they're one of our 'partners' so I would expect that we get something more than nothing out of it.

Further investigation shows that this is correct. The deal is between the ACT Government, the Giants and Australia Post. As Noted on the Auspost website
http://auspost.com.au/about-us/startrack-oval.html

The partnership was announced today at StarTrack Oval, Canberra, on the eve of the first ever AFL premiership match played under lights in the nation's capital, between the Giants and St Kilda.

The naming rights of StarTrack Oval are for an initial two-year period and are part of the agreement between the ACT Government and the AFL/Giants to play AFL matches in the nation's capital.

As part of the agreement, StarTrack will have naming rights to the oval for the duration of the football season including the NAB Cup, Foxtel Cup and NEAFL games as well as year-round signage.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
http://www.afc.com.au/news/2015-02-25/408000-loss-for-crows

The Adelaide Football Club has announced an operating loss of $408,011 for the 2014 financial year.

The result reinforces the significance of the Adelaide Oval review and Club’s commitment to ensuring the best possible outcome for all parties.

Among the contributing factors were the higher than expected costs of playing at the redeveloped city venue and an additional investment into the football department, which included funding for the first time a team in the SANFL competition.

Speaking at the Club’s Annual General Meeting, Crows Chairman Rob Chapman also highlighted off-field growth in 2014 including:

- 43% growth in home-match attendances to average of 48,046 ranking 1st in AFL

- 23% growth in Membership to a record level of 57, 231

- Approx. 10% growth in national television audience

- Record levels of corporate hospitality

The Club gained independence from traditional owners the SANFL last year, with part of that agreement being the payment of an annual game development fee.

The Board, in consultation with the Club’s auditors KPMG, deemed it appropriate to include the commitment to pay the fee for the next 15 years, leading to a statutory loss of $8,031,697m. It should be noted that this is an accounting procedure and not a cash loss.

“The strength of our balance sheet allows us to formally recognise our multi-million dollar commitment to game development in South Australia,” Chapman said.

“We now feel confident that the foundation and appropriate structures are in place to return the Club to profitability in 2015.”

Crows Chief Executive Officer Andrew Fagan said the result underlined the importance of the much talked about Adelaide Oval review.

He also added the Club remained in a healthy position with $8.8m in net assets.

“It is crucial that we negotiate the best possible outcome with the stadium review and we move forward with a clear plan which will assist us to transition into a period of growth,” Fagan said.

“This will ultimately allow us to re-invest back into your football program as the Club embarks on a new era under the guidance of Senior Coach Phil Walsh.”

Exclusive to afc.com.au

Arwib

Club Legend
Apr 9, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Canberra Raiders
Im not sure what the arrangements are at Spotless Stadium - but the Giants are neither owners nor operators and probably make nothing from it. The Manuka Oval rights are nothing to do with the Giants.

GWS pockets the naming rights money for Manuka.

"And although the fledgling outfit will pocket the vast bulk of the undisclosed "commercial-in confidence" sponsorship fee, Oval owners the ACT taxpayers were reassured they would enjoy "a small percentage" of the action"

edit: Ah you already found that

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

"And although the fledgling outfit will pocket the vast bulk of the undisclosed "commercial-in confidence" sponsorship fee, Oval owners the ACT taxpayers were reassured they would enjoy "a small percentage" of the action"

yeah, but cheers anyway. Nice to know that people check up on it! Keeps things accurate.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos

ACT taxpayers want a cut of the action??!!
Thieving mongrels!!
Apart from giving us $2.3 million per year and supplying about a third of our total members, what has Canberra ever done for us??

GWS report now here, details in OP

Only missing Port and Adelaide now, not on ASIC, not on club sites.

Really not pretty.

$32.4M in revenue, of which $20.5M if from the AFL (Listed as, AFL distributions & match receipts), and $2.45M from government grants....They also have almost half a million in 'community and development' revenue, which you'd have to assume comes from either the AFL or government.

Marketing & Sponsorship 7.8M, down 1.4M
Member & Merch 1.14M, down 330K

I know it's always going to be a long haul, but they're not the numbers you'd be looking for.

BTW, note18 is interesting...AFL has commited $84,850,000 from 1 Nov 2010 -> 31 Oct 2016

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
If anyone is interested the Melbourne Storms report is up here

Never seen anything like that. 85% of their income is management fees paid by a company related to their owner (Valimanda P/L). I'm guessing a lot of their football income is run through Valimanda? They aren't showing any sponsorship or corporate income at all, yet they are showing $2.6m in season ticket sales.

Weird. I've got a suspicion it might be effective loss transfer to allow the loss that would otherwise be made by the Storm to be offset against other income in Valimanda. But I can't really be sure. I guess the NRL has signed off on it.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Never seen anything like that. 85% of their income is management fees paid by a company related to their owner (Valimanda P/L). I'm guessing a lot of their football income is run through Valimanda? They aren't showing any sponsorship or corporate income at all, yet they are showing $2.6m in season ticket sales.

Weird. I've got a suspicion it might be effective loss transfer to allow the loss that would otherwise be made by the Storm to be offset against other income in Valimanda. But I can't really be sure. I guess the NRL has signed off on it.

No reports available for Valimanda either. Havent issued an Annual Report since 2002 that i can find

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Full details wont be known until the AFL report is released in full but

• The AFL's revenue increased by $12 million to $458 million
  • Spending jumped by $6 million to $142 million due to revenue-related increases
  • Operating surplus totalled $316 million, before grants and distributions
  • AFL handouts to clubs rose by $7 million to $216 million
  • After grants and distributions, the AFL's net profit dropped by $4 million to $12.5 million, which will be reinvested into the AFL's Future Fund.
ref: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-04/afl-reveals-financial-results

Assuming they didnt touch the fund last year, the future fund should have close on 110 million in it.

Last edited:

Arwib

Club Legend
Apr 9, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Canberra Raiders
Really not pretty.

$32.4M in revenue, of which $20.5M if from the AFL (Listed as, AFL distributions & match receipts), and $2.45M from government grants....They also have almost half a million in 'community and development' revenue, which you'd have to assume comes from either the AFL or government.

Marketing & Sponsorship 7.8M, down 1.4M
Member & Merch 1.14M, down 330K

I know it's always going to be a long haul, but they're not the numbers you'd be looking for.

BTW, note18 is interesting...AFL has commited $84,850,000 from 1 Nov 2010 -> 31 Oct 2016
Govt grant is presumably mostly the ACT deal?

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back