List Mgmt. List planning 2015 and onwards

Remove this Banner Ad

I would give up a lot for bennell. If he's willing to buy into our culture that is

A guy with a 'rock star' attitude would fit in well with us if "Block Rockin Beats" is anything to go by. Does he play an actual instrument?

Ken Hinkley has pretty intimate knowledge of the Suns from his time there so he'd know who he wanted out of their kids.

I would give up a lot for bennell. If he's willing to buy into our culture that is
Suns board are saying Bennell was on an all night bender and presented poorly next day at training the other 2 just quiet drinks at a mates place. Would like to be certain there aren't players still under investigation at the club regarding any dealing with illicit drugs

The only changes I can see happening is perhaps swapping a couple of players.
Moore may get Hawthorn interested in swapping O'Brien (193cm fwd)
Butcher for McKenzie (dreaming I know)
Its probably a good draft to develop a good first rounder

Because we HAVE to have 3 draft picks I think we will:
Cornes to retire, Krak upgrade, Redden to rookie - Russell delist
Why delist Russell?

Bennell likely to be traded as Suns sick off his 'rock star' attitude - a risk for us and would cost us round 1 pick plus midfielder.
Given that it would be Gold Coast orchestrating the trade, a 1st round pick + a midfielder is a rather hefty asking price.

Why delist Russell?

Given that it would be Gold Coast orchestrating the trade, a 1st round pick + a midfielder is a rather hefty asking price.

Russell has not shown that he could replace anyone in our best 25 in the next 3 years (even with Cornes retiring).

Suns will still demand something big for Bennell - if not us then someone else will offer a round 1 pick + player.

Russell has not shown that he could replace anyone in our best 25 in the next 3 years (even with Cornes retiring).

Suns will still demand something big for Bennell - if not us then someone else will offer a round 1 pick + player.
How much have you seen of Sam this year?

He's certainly been our best defender in the SANFL this year. I'm biased towards defenders, but I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that he's been our most consistent player overall, as well.

If we want a genuine replacement for Cornes, look no further than Sam Russell.

Yes, if GC put him on the trading block, then it's obviously they don't want him despite the talent. You can't then act like you hold all the cards.

He's certainly been our best defender in the SANFL this year. I'm biased towards defenders, but I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that he's been our most consistent player overall, as well.

Amen, I stated on here numerous times last year, his attack on Ball and Body was manic and Gus appetite for the contest was to be seen! He was taken as a young 17 year old (possibly youngest bloke drafted in said year) like Ah Che should be given time and invest in a risky selection,there was SOMETHING the scouts saw in him. Look at Carlton, they threw the Babies out with the Bathwater and only held kids who showed a heap of promise early, they now have a s**t list with rejects from other clubs clogging the place up!

I'd still like for us to bring in Dan gorringe this year. Will be out of contract finally so hopefully he didn't do any damage there with his comments. Others that spring to mind are toumpass and trengove. But then who would they replace?

How about Broomhead (Col) for more depth in medium sized forwards. Looking like he's fringe 22 (at best) atm at Collingwood which is saying something with the youngsters they're playing atm.
He might jump at the 1st chance if he was offered to come home.

Good comments.

As Sam's BF buddy I have to defend his place in the team's future. Ever since watching his draft video I've likened him to a mini-Tom Jonas (hence me dubbing him the nickname 'Hitboy' ala Jonas' 'Hitman' nickname).

From all the SANFL reports this year, the coaches appear happy with his defensive work, but want him to work on his offence. Fancy having another defender on the list whose defensive game is on point. He is competing with Impey/Krakouer/Byrne-Jones for that back pocket spot, but I'd like to see Impey move up the field with his speed and lateral movement. In the short term it doesn't look like he'll displace anyone in the best 22, but injuries do happen unfortunately. Many had Ah Chee pencilled in for delisting this time last year (some still think so), who would've thought 12 months on, he'd get 2 games in the AFL; 1 against the reigning premiers.

He's had 2 years on the rookie list, so we will have to re-rookie him through the rookie draft if we see a future with him. If Krakouer gets upgraded and Logan looks to retire, then we'll have at least 2 openings in the rookie list for downgrades or rookie picks.

I'd like to see him do well enough this year to demand an upgrade or at least another year on the rookie list and continue building from there.

havent looked at this thread for ages so apologies if its been mentioned before, but i still feel we need to recruit a real good key forward. Yes i know we got Ryder but he is more a ruck/forward.

Im really concerned about what he have outside of Schulz. Our KPF stocks are terrible between Butcher, Shaw and Harvey im not sure any of them will be any good. Certainly no more sure about it as i was 12 months ago.

I feel if Schulzy goes down we are ****ed. Thankfully we have Westy/Ryder that can play deep but thats all we have. No decent prospects at all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

havent looked at this thread for ages so apologies if its been mentioned before, but i still feel we need to recruit a real good key forward. Yes i know we got Ryder but he is more a ruck/forward.

Im really concerned about what he have outside of Schulz. Our KPF stocks are terrible between Butcher, Shaw and Harvey im not sure any of them will be any good. Certainly no more sure about it as i was 12 months ago.

I feel if Schulzy goes down we are stuffed. Thankfully we have Westy/Ryder that can play deep but thats all we have. No decent prospects at all

Yeah, this time last year I thought the same.

Having Ryder eases my worry a little bit along with Butcher's form in the NAB cup games.

The players appear to have looked to pass to Butcher as their first option ahead of Schulz and he showed he can be dangerous.

If we didn't have Schulz, Ryder would play forward (80 fwd/20 ruc) and hopefully take the best defender so Butch can dine out on 2nd/3rd defenders like Hartigan.

I feel if Schulzy goes down we are stuffed. Thankfully we have Westy/Ryder that can play deep but thats all we have. No decent prospects at all

i came here to say pretty much the same thing. You look at young forwards and most of the time if they are geniune quality then they find their way into the team with 3 seasons, often in second. But between the three main ones in shaw, harvey and butcher, none of them scream out that they will come good. I guess harvey is now ony in his 2nd year, and shaw his 3rd. But i have zero hope for butcher. As for the young guys drafted last year, they are a pure gamble. Not rated too hightly as jrns, but have some fine qualities. Shaw has to play a few games this year and kick a few goals too.

Yeah, this time last year I thought the same.

Having Ryder eases my worry a little bit along with Butcher's form in the NAB cup games.

The players appear to have looked to pass to Butcher as their first option ahead of Schulz and he showed he can be dangerous.

If we didn't have Schulz, Ryder would play forward (80 fwd/20 ruc) and hopefully take the best defender so Butch can dine out on 2nd/3rd defenders like Hartigan.

Butchers nab cup form was on a player like Hartigan and lets face it Hartigan is more like a 2nd/3rd defender at sanfl level right now. I'm still very worried about the fact Butcher, Shaw and Harvey aren't quite going to be that number 1 forward once Schultz leaves next year or year after.

Butchers nab cup form was on a player like Hartigan and lets face it Hartigan is more like a 2nd/3rd defender at sanfl level right now. I'm still very worried about the fact Butcher, Shaw and Harvey aren't quite going to be that number 1 forward once Schultz leaves next year or year after.

Haha no doubting Hartigan is only SANFL level, but the fact is that he was/is the best the Crows can throw up as a 2nd KPD.
And as much as NAB cup isn't the best indicator of season form, we know that the game against the Crows was the final dress rehearsal before the the real stuff and they weren't holding much back.

There will be teams in the AFL who will have a weak 2nd KPD and I have confidence that Butcher can beat them if he has a Ryder/Westhoff in support.

Haha no doubting Hartigan is only SANFL level, but the fact is that he was/is the best the Crows can throw up as a 2nd KPD.
And as much as NAB cup isn't the best indicator of season form, we know that the game against the Crows was the final dress rehearsal before the the real stuff and they weren't holding much back.

There will be teams in the AFL who will have a weak 2nd KPD and I have confidence that Butcher can beat them if he has a Ryder/Westhoff in support.

Problem is we are trying to maintain high levels and against teams like Hawks, Swans, Dockers he would get "schooled".
I love the optimism but I'm more of a pessimist at this time about our key forwards.

Problem is we are trying to maintain high levels and against teams like Hawks, Swans, Dockers he would get "schooled".
I love the optimism but I'm more of a pessimist at this time about our key forwards.
Harvey will be ok, we can leave him in the twos, unlike Geelong and Hawkins.

I'm not confident about the prospects of Butch, Shaw or Harvey. I know people say they need time to develop, but even tall forwards need to show some elite attributes and the ability to work into a game and have an impact. I am a doubter.

We need to throw the lot at Hawkins. I can't see him coming to Port but he is the perfect player for our list.

If we can't get Hawkins the we should throw a fridge at Dixon.

Hawkins or Dixon please.

Just wanted to get the general thought on a few players:
- Sam Russell: Taken in the same rookie draft as Mitchell. I don't believe he has exactly been setting the world on fire in the SANFL; where is he at and how long is he allowed to stay on the rookie list?

Wrong we took Mitchell in the December 2012 rookie draft ( ie called 2013 rookie draft) and Russell in the December 2013 draft ( ie called 2014 rookie draft).

i came here to say pretty much the same thing. You look at young forwards and most of the time if they are geniune quality then they find their way into the team with 3 seasons, often in second. But between the three main ones in shaw, harvey and butcher, none of them scream out that they will come good. I guess harvey is now ony in his 2nd year, and shaw his 3rd. But i have zero hope for butcher. As for the young guys drafted last year, they are a pure gamble. Not rated too hightly as jrns, but have some fine qualities. Shaw has to play a few games this year and kick a few goals too.
Agree, the top forwards usually show something by the second year - I remember seeing Tex Walker take apart the Maggies (7 goals - 56 for the season) in a final when he was only 18. Tredders was outstanding in a magpie GF loss at the age of 19.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back