Review R5: Port v Adelaide Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Can I just ask REH. You can spend all this time typing this out, but you can't type in portfanradio to search the schedule? :)
Your Sunday part ot the schedule doesnt come up on my phone. I was at the GdV and assumed 8pm on Sunday was the live show.

Your Sunday part ot the schedule doesnt come up on my phone. I was at the GdV and assumed 8pm on Sunday was the live show.

:) I'm stirring you REH :) I'll send you personal texts from now on :)

:) I'm stirring you REH :) I'll send you personal texts from now on :)
No I know when Monday to Saturday are and if its a Sunday night game you will start before the advertised 8pm start.

Gotta say, all the Port hating Facebook pages have been quiet :D :p
I doubt any of the blokes who maintain these pages have ever seen a real naked women. Need to get a life. campaigners the lot of them

You guys are hedging alot on wines. I personally haven't seen a huge difference without him. We have been losing clearances all year. Not doubting his importance or his immense ability but he isn't the panacea. As Hinkley says, we are not one good player away from a premiership and we aren't one player away from the spoon. We have plenty of work to do. Personally I think wines will come back better than before after he has had some frustration of sitting on the sidelines. His hunger will be immense.

Feel pls

Schulz has gotten a couple of soft ones this year (ie the duck he missed against the crows, the in the back in the 3rd against Hawthorn).
Still isn't even close to breaking even on previous years!
Agreed.

If Tredrea had been around these days where umpires are actually giving more free kicks to forwards for obvious infringements against them, then he would have kicked 100 goals in a number of seasons; not to mention what that would have meant to our win loss ratio.

I don't get the obsession with Dangerfield. Good player? Yes. Elite? I've never thought so. His disposal is piss poor. More often than not he doesn't show up in the big games. Thought Boak passed him in 2013.
Do you go to games?

Not having a Crack but serious question because at the games you see the full body of work he does on and off the ball and it us exceptional.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you go to games?

Not having a Crack but serious question because at the games you see the full body of work he does on and off the ball and it us exceptional.

Of course I do. I've just never been impressed with Dangerfield. He had an outstanding season in 2012, but has dropped off since. For every "wow" thing he does, he makes half a dozen screw ups from my perspective. But the way he gets labelled as one of the elite of the elite is just ridiculous imo. I would rather a lot of players in my midfield than him, that's for sure.

Of course I do. I've just never been impressed with Dangerfield. He had an outstanding season in 2012, but has dropped off since. For every "wow" thing he does, he makes half a dozen screw ups from my perspective. But the way he gets labelled as one of the elite of the elite is just ridiculous imo. I would rather a lot of players in my midfield than him, that's for sure.
Oops quoted wrong post lol

Was actually in reply to a post about Ebert

Was definitely noticeable in the first half. I think the first bounce of the game had about 2-3 consecutive stoppages. Like others have said the Crows are trying to use a tactic similar to Freo/Sydney high press or 'flooding'. The Crows have relied on stoppages a lot due to the fact that Sam Jacobs is quite a dominant ruckmen and they can use that to their advantage. Despite their average seasons in 2013/14 their clearance work is actually one of their strengths.

This is why I'm not judging Youngy too harshly for this game, unlike a few. He often had his hands on the ball but there were just too many numbers around the ball and he couldn't break the tackles. It's not like he couldn't find the ball. He is normally so strong in the contest, it's hard to know if he had a down day strength wise or the cows put some homework into him. One thing I have no doubt of is that he will be working his guts out to improve.

I don't want Danger.
So much this. Can't stand the guy.

Watched the end of the last 2013 showdown on Sunday and seeing his celebration when he kicked his last goal just made me think geez you're full of it, if only you knew what's going to happen in ten minutes hahaha.

I never liked Roo during his career but I always respected him as a player. Dangerfield is just a faux wincing flog!

This should make for some interesting reading

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/one-eyed-rant-live-blog-from-1230pm-today-with-port-adelaide-supporter-travis-simmons/story-fnia3v71-1227338470911

WHO’S up for a quick game of word association? OK, let’s go ...

Robbie Gray? Irrepressible. Travis Boak? Irreplaceable. Paddy Ryder?
In the words of Robert Palmer ... simply irresistible.
OK, last but by no means least, Crows fans? They of course became irritable and left the game early............

Let’s cast our minds forward to the 2017 grand final. Take it away Bruce:

“Scores are level with one minute to play. Lobbe taps it down to Boak. Quick hands to Gray. He sidesteps one, he sidesteps two ... and now a third. Delicious! Robbie kicks it long ... who’s on the end of it ... Dangerrrrrrrrrrr! Yes, everyone knew he was leaving the Crows at the end of 2015. But to the cross-town rival? Who would have thought.

“He lines up, he kicks, he kicks truly with three seconds to spare. That’s three in a row for this mighty club. Yes ... I’m going to say it ... they’re specialllllllll.”

Blog with me today from 12.30pm. In the meantime leave your comments and questions now.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/one-eyed-rant-live-blog-from-1230pm-today-with-port-adelaide-supporter-travis-simmons/story-fnia3v71-1227338470911

Alright - I've done the first quarter - I'm doing effective clearances (clearances that directly advantage that team) to ineffective clearances as well, so this is taking awhile:

Clearances - Adelaide: 5 effective, 8 ineffective. Port: 4 effective, 3 ineffective.

This shows that even though the stats may show that Adelaide dominated the clearance count for this quarter (13-7), most of their clearances were ineffective, resulting in turnovers.

Inside 50 heat map:

Q1 inside 50s.jpg

Note: Port is always going to the goals at the top of the image.

Even at this early stage of the match, you can see a pattern forming. Adelaide's entries into the forward 50 arc are sporadic, generally to contested pack situations, which are rebounded easily by our defenders. The only time they actually ever had a shot on goal directly in front was when Dangerfield burst out of the middle and kicked a point from around 45m out.

Meanwhile, our forward 50 entries are methodical. We target both the left and right flanks, 38-48m out, as well as directly in front. By rights, we should have had one more goal from that left flank - Wingard completely shanked a kick from 42m out. In the right flank, Gray dropped an easy mark in the opening minute of the game, and Ryder had a mark spoiled before it reached him.

The inside 50 count will say Port just shaded Adelaide 12-11...but we can see who the top four team is and who the team who struggled all game is even now...

I think it is more that the "Eddie Betts pocket" is not actually anyones pocket in particular, especially when they fluff 3 out of 4 shots from there. Unlike the Lloyd end or Lockett end, Eddie Betts has done sweet FA to earn an area of the oval in his honour, even if unofficial.

AFAIC, every area inside the oval 50s is Jay Schulz area

Remove this Banner Ad

Back