Do players get angry?

Remove this Banner Ad

At this game in Geelong a couple of weeks ago, they showed three of the players reactiona after Goldy missed from 15 out early. JMac and Luke Mac were clearly frustrated.
Yep Luke was sitting near the others the other night in the first quarter and he wasn't happy.
Also I know for a fact that JMac was livid at the Sydney final last year.

Dunno mate but I'd guess he was less so than his later Brisbane days, especially in the 1990 GF when Gav Brown was felled by Terry Daniher.

See perhaps by the time he got to the Lions he was Zen, but perhaps Brad is missing the development through that.

I would like to see him coach on instinct more, rather than from behind a laptop becauase if we win the numbers in this column we should be able to win the game. Well it doesn't always work like that, and I think he's missing that bit as a coach. I do believe he has it in him though.

I thought they handled themselves well, problem is you can't really remonstrate properly anymore because it just gives away a free kick and if you cross the line you miss weeks, and as if we need Spitta or Jz missing weeks, we have enough players out in midfield.
I can't believe they paid one against Swallow before the next bounce, surely he's allowed to tell Hodge how unhappy he was with it.
And as for people saying Swallow kissed and made up with Hodge, I didn't see that at all. In fact Spitta looked filthy at him, shook his hand but didn't say a word to Hodge when he came up, he gave him a shrug of whatever mate u flog, he was clearly seething.

I thought they handled themselves well, problem is you can't really remonstrate properly anymore because it just gives away a free kick and if you cross the line you miss weeks, and as if we need Spitta or Jz missing weeks, we have enough players out in midfield.
I can't believe they paid one against Swallow before the next bounce, surely he's allowed to tell Hodge how unhappy he was with it.
And as for people saying Swallow kissed and made up with Hodge, I didn't see that at all. In fact Spitta looked filthy at him, shook his hand but didn't say a word to Hodge when he came up, he gave him a shrug of whatever mate u flog, he was clearly seething.

He looked filthy.

ALL OF THIS!

They were worried we would roll them, we should have jumped all over it and beat them... if we see that insipid style of non agression this week Tiges will do us.. then team will know how to beat us... hit a few blokes and watch us crumble.

We need to really set a standard this week... within the rules though
Probably lucky that the Tiges don't really have anyone to dish it out these days. We are going to be tested again and again now though I would reckon ! After the Hodge incident I was 'willing' Turner to line him up and take another scalp. Would have set the ground on fire !!

The boys will come out firing as they always do after a loss, saying they don't care about the club because its simply a job, how dare the injured players laugh during a game off the field. Being a football player is more than a job until you finish up, the boys do care and suggesting they don't is a bit much, most of us don't personally know them, so how would we know.

interesting that the hawks came out firing (went too far) in the first quarter bc as they admitted they had been average in first quarters and wanted to turn it around. Not sure our players get angry enough with average performances.

After the fall-out from Luke Hodge’s strike on Swallow last week - that has cost the Hawthorn captain a three-match ban - Scott said he did not want his players getting caught-up on on-field retaliation.

“Flying the flag is just crap to be honest,’’ Scott said.

“What we are looking for is players to remain composed under pressure and we are looking for players to control their emotions.

“I thought our players did that reasonably well. Andrew Swallow was disappointed with his reaction because there is flying the flag and there is giving away free kicks.

“Immediately after the Hodge incident, we gave away a free kick which resulted in a centre bounce goal. We conceded the lead, we conceded the momentum because we were supposedly flying the flag.

“Push and shove is not tough, it’s not brave, it’s rubbish. What is tough and what is courageous is copping something that is a bit untoward and getting up, staying in control and then attacking the next contest with ferocity.

“Don’t get caught up with all that rubbish.’’

Scott said he had accepted Hodge’s apology for the incident after the Hawks leader phoned him.

“I think he just wanted to explain his actions and he was remorseful for what he did. Luke didn’t need to do that,’’ Scott said.

“He offered an apology which was accepted, I don’t think there is a necessity for players to explain their actions.

“They get the opportunity to explain their actions at the match review panel. We have got an enormous amount of respect for Luke Hodge, an unbelievable player, an unbelievable captain who leads their team really well and is genuinely remorseful for the way he conducted himself.

“He is a player who plays on the line and very, very occasionally players who play that close to the line overstep it. I think it was largely out of character and shouldn’t tarnish his reputation in any way.’’

After the fall-out from Luke Hodge’s strike on Swallow last week - that has cost the Hawthorn captain a three-match ban - Scott said he did not want his players getting caught-up on on-field retaliation.

“What we are looking for is players to remain composed under pressure and we are looking for players to control their emotions.

“I thought our players did that reasonably well. Andrew Swallow was disappointed with his reaction because there is flying the flag and there is giving away free kicks.

“Immediately after the Hodge incident, we gave away a free kick which resulted in a centre bounce goal. We conceded the lead, we conceded the momentum because we were supposedly flying the flag.

“Push and shove is not tough, it’s not brave, it’s rubbish. What is tough and what is courageous is copping something that is a bit untoward and getting up, staying in control and then attacking the next contest with ferocity.

Scott said he had accepted Hodge’s apology for the incident after the Hawks leader phoned him.

“I think he just wanted to explain his actions and he was remorseful for what he did. Luke didn’t need to do that,’’ Scott said.

“He offered an apology which was accepted, I don’t think there is a necessity for players to explain their actions.

“They get the opportunity to explain their actions at the match review panel. We have got an enormous amount of respect for Luke Hodge, an unbelievable player, an unbelievable captain who leads their team really well and is genuinely remorseful for the way he conducted himself.

“He is a player who plays on the line and very, very occasionally players who play that close to the line overstep it. I think it was largely out of character and shouldn’t tarnish his reputation in any way.’’

Scott has jumped the shark.

'Flying the flag is crap'.

Remember your playing days Brad?

Wow. Dont forget to dust your knees off when you get up Brad.

Flying the flag is crap? Yeh because after 16 years in the wilderness who gives a * about making a stand for your captain and best player.
Soft. From top to bottom.

Just read we are last for tackling in the league.

I feel like going on a rant but whats the point.

That article makes me think that he is missing a large part of what makes footy great.

You reckon Carey was in control of his emotions of the days where he was tearing a side apart? Or you think his emotions were at a point where he simply believed completely he was the best and could beat everyone. Someone in control of their emotions would not think that way because it is almost completely irrational.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That article makes me think that he is missing a large part of what makes footy great.

You reckon Carey was in control of his emotions of the days where he was tearing a side apart? Or you think his emotions were at a point where he simply believed completely he was the best and could beat everyone. Someone in control of their emotions would not think that way because it is almost completely irrational.
I dont know what 'strong' message hes trying to make by that article.
Its lost on me.
So we are allowed to be bullied and bashed and targeted but we wont retaliate because reasons ?
For all the good work he done last year, weve lost to the Power and Hawks in recent weeks and we arent making up that ground.
Were a nowhere club right now.

* off Brad

I dont know what 'strong' message hes trying to make by that article.
Its lost on me.
So we are allowed to be bullied and bashed and targeted but we wont retaliate because reasons ?
For all the good work he done last year, weve lost to the Power and Hawks in recent weeks and we arent making up that ground.
Were a nowhere club right now.

I understand the need to not react, not get yourself cited, to continue to play the game hard after being affronted outside the rules of the game.

But all that means jack s**t when the team collectively rolled over in the last quarter.

I understand the need to not react, not get yourself cited, to continue to play the game hard after being affronted outside the rules of the game.

But all that means jack s**t when the team collectively rolled over in the last quarter.
We did nothing. And our response since has been nothing.
As a member and supporter all Ive heard this week is bullshit excuses about our injuries, ways to buy merchandise and how the Tigers will be a formidable opponent this week.
Not one campaigner has come out and said anything about the performance, what happened to the Captain and Todd and the way we got belted.
The Pres was too busy concentrating on his own position and our CEO is an accountant and a scriptreader. Yet we are all here livid at the lack of metal shown on the night and till now.
Im lost and like I said we are a nowhere club right now.

Then why Brad do you continue to play a number of blokes that don't do what you are talking about….ferocity is not something that can be associated with this club this year.

I was proud of Swallow for remonstrating with Hodge, you are way better off playing with emotion than letting opposition belittle our captain with bullying and sniping tactics. Hawks walked all over us after that, it wasn't because we lost momentum its because we didn't step up with the same sort of intensity that the Hawks did.

One of the reasons why we are so vanilla is because no one plays with emotion, with vigour, with intent and with passion. Brad has made it so systematic, his essentially wanting to take the competitive nature out of our football.

Sorry Brad but thats weak as piss.

Ive had enough of this campaigner coaching my footy team.

So a triple premiership team and coach likes to play with passion, intent and fight but our mob just like to bend over and wait.

Seriously, fire this team up or * right off.

Do you think Carey would've kept his composure and remained emotionless, if someone tried to put him off his game by a cheap shot. Fault him all you want about his mistakes; on field he was in charge, he commanded, he was tough. He was a boxer not a Dalai Lamar.

Last edited:

Seriously WTF
Swallow and Goldie have been targeted more than once by the Hawks
It is part of the game plan they have for North.They know they will get away with it and probably win the game

Other clubs know we are soft and will start the same thing.How long until Goldie gets another clothesline?

The players have to stand up or they will get whacked every week

Just listened to the Presser...... Seriously, what the F*** is this guy doing to the psyche of our team!!! What a contradictory load of bull ( nicest word I could use)..... He talks up Luke Hodge as a great leader who plays on the edge and the finishes the press conference with " if someone whacks you that's cowardice in my book".... Hey IDIOT, that's what Hodge DID!!!!
He also says " Hawthorn are a proud club, we knew they would come out the way they did after their game last week".. .. Yeah sure, just like you knew Adelaide would come out the way they did.
You want our players to remain composed and controlled so they can be consistent in their performance... What the hell is wrong with getting emotional. Are you so stupid to think that 'emotion' can't have a positive influence on a team??
To actually suggest that Andrew Swallow would be disappointed in his response by giving away a free is just embarrassing to our club , our players and supporters. Way to proliferate a 'victim' culture. No wonder the media are asking us if clubs target us physically!!! Your response, " we welcome it, bring it on". Well guess what, we were TARGETED and you did a better job defending Hodge than our CAPTAIN.
I'm not prone to ranting but that press conference may well be the final straw in my support of Brad.

Boo bloody hoo..... What do you want them to do??? Give away free kicks? Get suspended???
I am with Brad! 100% of the time u would prefer the team to do what Sammy Wright did and attack the contest as hard as he can, to play the ball and the man with ferocity! Mathis crap about pushing and shoving and starting blues to square up is chest pounding wank behaviour!!!

We are not soft, it is so annoyingly simplistic to pull out the "we are so soft, we got bullied" every time we lose. Are Swallow, Cunners, Jack, Wright, Goldy, Luke, Thompson, spud, Sugar soft????
Honestly!!!

Every team has finesse players and we are no different!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back