Doona2

Cancelled
Mar 1, 2005
Kilmore
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Kilmore, Broadford, Yea, Calder
As I said to a mate (and supporter) of Gisborne yesty over a cuppa, everyone goes thru it and it's a good chance for a re-boot. Working on some infastructure I believe, lights, scoreboard etc which will "value add" to the joint and in time be a good selling point. The trick now is to lure some out of towners in, and with that comes re-invigoration.

Correct me if Im wrong, but the McGuane era was a fair while ago now, yet only coach (Kev Fitz for just one year) was not in some way involved during that time. Gisborne shouldn't contemplate anything but a return to finals in the BFL straight away because let's be honest, whether it's thru retirement, injury or what not apart from a few losses what's really wrong ..... not much

BendigoBoy23

Rookie
Apr 23, 2012
Bendigo
AFL Club
Geelong
Tough day for the BFNL boys on Saturday. Regrettably I made the journey down to Ballarat, what a waste of time that was!
I guess we saw what happens when you select a side that includes players who are injured, in poor form or simply just aren't up to it.
There were some questionable coaching moves to say the least, none more than moving Thornton back at a time where we were desperate for a target up forward.

If the BFNL are going to step up into the top 4 leagues they are going to need to give the interleague process a bit of an overhaul.

Cosmo21

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2011
Collingwood
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fulham
The good thing is that the BFL know how to beat Gippsland so will win next year!

The interleague is a joke really, as per most other years it was picked on name alone and not actually form!

I think the other thing that BFNL may need to face you to is that they are a 6-7 grade side and not a top 4 side.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
Tough day for the BFNL boys on Saturday. Regrettably I made the journey down to Ballarat, what a waste of time that was!
I guess we saw what happens when you select a side that includes players who are injured, in poor form or simply just aren't up to it.
There were some questionable coaching moves to say the least, none more than moving Thornton back at a time where we were desperate for a target up forward.

If the BFNL are going to step up into the top 4 leagues they are going to need to give the interleague process a bit of an overhaul.
How many of that side, would you say didn't really want to be there?

I think that is step one in reevaluating the process!

BendigoBoy23

Rookie
Apr 23, 2012
Bendigo
AFL Club
Geelong
How many of that side, would you say didn't really want to be there?

I think that is step one in reevaluating the process!

It looked as if a few blokes were there to just collect a jumper and drink some free grog afterwards. The lack of leadership was evident and I don't think I've seen a game where a team refused to man up and play defense as much as that, most seemed content to just be there.

Dragon Fly

All Australian
Dec 19, 2008
Under the QEO stand
AFL Club
Adelaide
It looked as if a few blokes were there to just collect a jumper and drink some free grog afterwards. The lack of leadership was evident and I don't think I've seen a game where a team refused to man up and play defense as much as that, most seemed content to just be there.

We won the game last year on the back of a super effort from Miline with 9 goals who had great back up from Jones with 5. We weren't far off getting rolled even with them at the top of their game so with them not playing and some other notable outs it didn't surprise me what we were well beaten. While you don't get to see much if any of other country leagues its hard to think that Bendigo would be a top 4 league with the standard of some of teams in the league at the moment.

champslikeus

Debutant
Oct 16, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Bendigo continually over rates itself against other leagues. The league isn't that good, team by team it would be way off the top four leagues going around. Reality is there not that good.

BendigoBoy23

Rookie
Apr 23, 2012
Bendigo
AFL Club
Geelong
Bendigo continually over rates itself against other leagues. The league isn't that good, team by team it would be way off the top four leagues going around. Reality is there not that good.

Would a Golden Square of '10 '11 or a full strength Strathfieldsaye be competitive against any side in Country Victoria? I don't see anywhere near enough footy from other leagues these days to really make a sound assessment but surely they would be close?

Cosmo21

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2011
Collingwood
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fulham
Would a Golden Square of '10 '11 or a full strength Strathfieldsaye be competitive against any side in Country Victoria? I don't see anywhere near enough footy from other leagues these days to really make a sound assessment but surely they would be close?

The general standard of Country footy has drop overall (except maybe Geelong) - Metro footy is miles in front! Don't think Strath or GS would play finals in VAFA premier or Eastern Div 1

barfoldbob

Debutant
Jan 22, 2010
Tuggeranong
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
:mad:don't think my Kyneton boys can make finals know there's a long way 2 go but even @ this early stage flat gas stolen a bit of ground on Tiges and Maine

Cosmo21

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2011
Collingwood
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fulham
:mad:don't think my Kyneton boys can make finals know there's a long way 2 go but even @ this early stage flat gas stolen a bit of ground on Tiges and Maine

Not sure it would make any difference just be one more week of footy you have to play, the top three (prob two) have it to themselves this year.

Bgo Crow

Senior List
Aug 30, 2013
Home in Iso
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Kalangadoo, Mitta United, Greta
Not sure it would make any difference just be one more week of footy you have to play , the top three (prob two) have it to themselves this year.
Cosmo,
That maybe the reality but for lower clubs trying to rise it helps with getting sponsors retaining and recruiting for the following year

AlburyE

Team Captain
Jun 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

BB, its the halfway mark and your boys are in the five - want more do you want!!!
The only team who don't have a chance of making the five is Maryborough. It is sad to see the state they are in.

I have watched my Dragons over the last two weeks. As good as there midfield brigate is, they will need Tim Martin back and more from their kep position players down the spine to enjoy sucess against Strath & Square.

Dragon Fly

All Australian
Dec 19, 2008
Under the QEO stand
AFL Club
Adelaide
I see Robbo Coaching Castlemaine got done for abusing the Umpires and Bond was done earlier in the year as well. Really unless they ban them from attending the game the penalty isn't much really. If they aren't allowed on the ground the group can walk over to the fence or someone else can give the address for them and they can perform all other duties for the day. If they said look your out for 3 weeks and cant attend the footy it would send a clear message and have some fear factor attached to it. Thoughts guys?

On another note whats the chances of Maryborough being in the Bendigo League next year? Will something give? Comps needs them but don't think anyone can argue that they aren't up against it.

Cosmo21

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2011
Collingwood
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fulham
I see Robbo Coaching Castlemaine got done for abusing the Umpires and Bond was done earlier in the year as well. Really unless they ban them from attending the game the penalty isn't much really. If they aren't allowed on the ground the group can walk over to the fence or someone else can give the address for them and they can perform all other duties for the day. If they said look your out for 3 weeks and cant attend the footy it would send a clear message and have some fear factor attached to it. Thoughts guys?

On another note whats the chances of Maryborough being in the Bendigo League next year? Will something give? Comps needs them but don't think anyone can argue that they aren't up against it.

Given a few things that have gone on this year is Robbo's time up at maine? Yes they are playing ok footy but they have a good list of top end players (bottom drops away) - from the bits I've heard the club was given an ultimatum halfway through last year by him re signing players, the club got it done but has there been any huge improvement?

Not saying at all that it would be easy and defiantly has the same issues as Mary's, Gizzy and Ky re location.

Cosmo21

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2011
Collingwood
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fulham

Umpire abuse is the biggest blight on our game. That being said I think the standard of umpiring given what some believe the standard football in the league is leaves a bit to be desired but we all have bad days! The league MUST throw the book at Robbo this behavior must be stamped out!!

fifth quarter

Team Captain
Jun 4, 2006
Time keepers' box
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
scoreboard at Gizzy hopeless 2day can't they recruit 2 or 3 teens or even sub teens who can add up by sixes
And don't miss behinds when rival clubs score them in quick succession
Trev Butcher sourced the Maine's new electronic board
Mind u boys the new electronic appliances, I-Pads and the like, are well beyond the technical knowledge of many of our older, retired footy lads now doing timekeeper duties

Truck

Club Legend
May 7, 2007
The Big Smoke
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
scoreboard at Gizzy hopeless 2day can't they recruit 2 or 3 teens or even sub teens who can add up by sixes
And don't miss behinds when rival clubs score them in quick succession
Trev Butcher sourced the Maine's new electronic board
Mind u boys the new electronic appliances, I-Pads and the like, are well beyond the technical knowledge of many of our older, retired footy lads now doing timekeeper duties
Is there anything Butch can't do!

barfoldbob

Debutant
Jan 22, 2010
Tuggeranong
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
now that ex-Port Adelaide SANFL ruckman Meiklejohn is coming to the Tiges wot will we do with Stevo? play him chf maybe
good kick, takes an xcellent grab and is very mobile .... also not short of a spot of self-praise
sed he'd "smoked" flat's lang at the showgrounds the other week now stevo wants to "smoke" flat's sidelined big man lambden next

ROOTA#6

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2006
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
now that ex-Port Adelaide SANFL ruckman Meiklejohn is coming to the Tiges wot will we do with Stevo? play him chf maybe
good kick, takes an xcellent grab and is very mobile .... also not short of a spot of self-praise
sed he'd "smoked" flat's lang at the showgrounds the other week now stevo wants to "smoke" flat's sidelined big man lambden next

Is Stevo still playing?

Bgo Crow

Senior List
Aug 30, 2013
Home in Iso
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Kalangadoo, Mitta United, Greta
Is he only playing 2 games this year ?

razor ray

Debutant
Nov 6, 2009
Dubai
AFL Club
Richmond
with Brock McLean, two Nthn.Territory boys and Pio gun midfielder bailey edwards in the mix can Mrb Maggies beat Gizzy??
they'll miss KPP player matty bond up 4ward
But if they can keep Knocker Knox reasonably quiet in Gizzy 4ward half there could be a surpise

AlburyE

Team Captain
Jun 18, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
with Brock McLean, two Nthn.Territory boys and Pio gun midfielder bailey edwards in the mix can Mrb Maggies beat Gizzy??
they'll miss KPP player matty bond up 4ward
But if they can keep Knocker Knox reasonably quiet in Gizzy 4ward half there could be a surpise

Razor I think Gisborne have too much to play for and they don't have a bad team on paper at least for this match.

Back