Media alert

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, there are far more realistic ways for the AFL to try to make up for how they treated Fitzroy and continue to treat Fitzroy supporters (although many of these even seem a long way off).
  • Saying sorry and owning up to how poorly they treated Fitzroy and its supporters
  • Guaranteeing Brisbane plays 6 games a year in Melbourne in perpetuity as per the merger agreement (i.e. ensuring it takes precedence over any other agreements that the AFL and other clubs have since signed)
  • Ensure Brisbane gets a bigger cut of Vic Lions membership revenue to enable our Vic memberships to be sold at a discounts as all Victorian clubs have always done
  • Support the Fitzroy museum at Etihad and potentially one day investing with governments to have it moved to the Brunswick St Oval
  • Financially support Fitzroy in the VAFA, potentially chipping in for any upgrades needed to Brunswick St Oval to allow to be maintained to a proper standard and potentially even to an AFL training standard for the Lions when they play in Melbourne
  • Perhaps eventually even one day financially supporting Fitzroy's return to the VFL
And I think almost every single Lions supporter would support each of those.:thumbsu:

For what it's worth, I feel really proud as a Brisbane supporter that we have any Victorian base at all.

Melbourne is where the game is most watched and attended. Of all of the expansion teams, we are the ones who still have decent pull at the MCG ... and I feel like we really have something to play for in Melbourne other than just an away win.

I feel like the Brisbane team is the most legit of the expansion teams.

For what it's worth, I feel really proud as a Brisbane supporter that we have any Victorian base at all.

Melbourne is where the game is most watched and attended. Of all of the expansion teams, we are the ones who still have decent pull at the MCG ... and I feel like we really have something to play for in Melbourne other than just an away win.

I feel like the Brisbane team is the most legit of the expansion teams.
Apart from GWS obviously ;)

I understand his sentiment behind the loss of his team. However, I am a Brisbane Lions supporter who is going down this weekend to watch on Sunday. I am also going to go stand in the cold, possible wet at Brunswick St Oval to watch Fitzroy play in the VAFA as respect and to honour the past of my club and its history.

I don't see too much wrong with that article, tbh. A bit emotive, but our plight needs to be looked at and it's hardly controversial to say we were and still are the canary in the cage on a number of fronts, but we're no longer treated like it in any way shape or form. Both the club and its members. "What was the point?" seems like a fair enough question to me.

With all due respect to all the Fitzroy people out there, that article is nothing but a rant at our current club. He is essentially saying to take an eye for and eye. For that I say he should shove the hatchet where the sun don't shine IMO.

I don't see too much wrong with that article, tbh. A bit emotive, but our plight needs to be looked at and it's hardly controversial to say we were and still are the canary in the cage on a number of fronts, but we're no longer treated like it in any way shape or form. Both the club and its members. "What was the point?" seems like a fair enough question to me.
I don't think most would have a problem with that question. There is no doubt it is a valid one and people have the right to remain angry (*at the AFL).

The writer takes the extra step though, and the implication is that Brisbane don't deserve to exist in its current form because of the AFL's actions 20 years ago. More telling is its timing. After 19 years, the decision to kill Fitzroy won't/can't be reversed and off the back of years of poor management and lack of success, more importantly recent success, it comes across as sour grapes against our club. There has to be a point where Brisbane should be recognised as the child of Fitzroy and not merely the one chosen to survive. "Why should Brisbane get support?" is the question/gripe put forward, and the answer should be obvious. None of us want another club to go through what Fitzroy did.

Rudely? No, rightly.

Calling for the Brisbane Lions to be moved back to Victoria essentially "for the fans" (despite the fact such an action would deprive a much larger number of fans of a club to support) is utterly idiotic. Fitzroy people have it tough, no question - no one is denying that. Whilst the article may speak to what you have felt, the article is a joke because what is suggests is so ludicrous and the reason for such a proposal is utterly simplistic, flawed and irrational. End of.

It's possible to be rude and right. Finishing a post with 'End of.' is only one of those things, however.

It's literally been almost two decades. Are you allowed to still feel deeply hurt? Yes. Is it raw? No.

It always will be. It particularly is when the Lions are struggling, and we wonder why our struggling club had to be sacrificed to bring forth another one.

Fitzroy isn't coming back. There's no need for any more thought.

I'm not sure I know what you mean.

I asked for people to try and show a little empathy before unloading on a frustrated Fitzroy fan. Some have, some most decidely have not.

Personally I relate to a lot of what Jack Kerr has written. And in my heart I hope that one day maybe Fitzroy will come back, although I know it's only a wild quixotic fantasy. Losing a club the way we lost Fitzroy makes you a bit funny in the head when it comes to footy, at least it did for a lot of us. I believe the Brisbane Lions forum should be a place where we can be indulged at least a little bit. Unlike Cousin Jed apparently, I believe there is more to think and more to say about Fitzroy.

About the same chance of Fitzroy coming back as there is of Joel Patfull coming back :(

Big hug for Ironmonger

Thankyou.

I really need one.

I think I'm still a bit pissy about not getting to watch the Port Adelaide game.

Thankyou.

I really need one.

I think I'm still a bit pissy about not getting to watch the Port Adelaide game.

Understandable.

It really sucks when you lose something, sure the pain fades after a while but you never, ever forget. Yes, I go to the odd Giants game (can't wait until they smash the Scums again at Metripong) and you watch the Brisbane Lions in Melbourne but it's never really the same is it?

So he his hurt from the loss of his club... and his answer is to take the club away from someone else? WTF!

Fitzroy don't exist because of the AFL. We are havent been competitive because of the AFL. There is a common enemy there, dont take aim at us. Definitely pissy at the fact that Fitzroy are gone because they were losing, yet we are losing and are still here, and we dont have the passionate following that Fitzroy had, so are somehow less worthy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am a proud passionate fitzroy man, I didn't respect the article at all. For one - the notion of "the Roy boys coming home" was so ludicrous that in itself let it down.

Secondly the whole notion 'they' took 'our' team and let 'us' down and 'we' want it back, is just silly.. I go for the Brisbane lions, and they are the living, breathing manifestation of the Fitzroy lions and anyone that thinks that passion hasn't been passed down through the generations in Melbourne should have sat with us behind the goals at eitihad againts Carlton.

I take ownership of the lion, to me they are a history rich club playing up in brisbane, as I am sure the brisbane fans feel when they send them down to Melbourne.

Plus we both know the struggle and that makes us family.

Seriously - it us what it is and as long as that lion is on a field in the AFL - I'll go for them.

The hardest part about reading that was thinking, if Fitzroy did actually come back into the league I wouldn't hesitate to go for them. I love the Lions, but it makes me realise how little connection I have to the QLD heritage. Feels a bit s**t to be honest.

If in this hypothetical world where Fitzroy were reborn and the Brisbane bears were as well (eg the league went to 19 teams). Would you feel any connection to the "ex-girlfriend", if you will?

If the National Comp collapsed, sure return the 'Traditional Lion' back to Melbourne - until then Melbourne is at a supersaturation level of clubs and a minimum of two teams in QLD, NSW, SA and WA is a must.

Love the passion within the article but its lack of understanding of the fundamental meaning of a National Competition is, to put it bluntly, single minded.

Agree but... IMO, to finish the piece with the last two sentences just takes away any credit that the article may have built for some.

Also - I would like to address this notion, and believe me, I do plenty of ribbing.

"We can’t join in a good-natured ribbing of another team’s misfortune without being told, “Well, at least I have a team.”

This is not my experience at all. If anything, I feel really proud saying "I am an old Fitzroy Supporter" to which I find, most people light up and become interested in my journey in following a merger team, and if anything - it solidifys my passion for the club and the game in thier eyes - mainly because of the fact I have ignored geographic boundaries to stay loyal to my club.

My family are fanatical about the Lions and whilst I miss the experience of feeling like my team is my home, what about people who pack up and move from Vic to WA for work and raise there family over there, and 20 years later they are still tigers or Bombers supporters - I would never question their loyalty or view their passion as diluted?

Hell - I follow world sports, Premier League, NBA, NFL.. and identify with fans and cities ive never set foot in, with passion and vigor.

Not meaning to bang on, its a topic in my 5 years on Big Footy Ive never really touched on. I understand it would be nice to have our team still in Vic but reality is it wasn't possible. The Brisbane Lions have given us J - Brown (a self proclaimed 'roy boy'), a Statesman like Leigh Matthews is now one of us, Kevin Murry still wears the Brownlow to the Mail exchange before each game, Rocky 2 years ago grabbed the fitzroy logo againts the doggies.. I feel a huge sense of pride in the Lion and wont let a few bungled family days or a poor seating option make me feel all depressed and disrespected.

I am also happy the Lions went to a 'quiet' football environment like Brisbane, where it could kind of carry on it's 'struggle' in a new frontier, where the legacy can be used and identified with. As opposed to being devoured and forgotten in a footy mad state like SA, or by another Melbourne Club.

I love the passion, but I find sometimes the 'Anti merger' movement has for some become the new form of 'barracking'.. the new sport for some people, when IMO there's plenty to love and support about the Lions.

Me... out.

Also - I would like to address this notion, and believe me, I do plenty of ribbing.

"We can’t join in a good-natured ribbing of another team’s misfortune without being told, “Well, at least I have a team.”.

My response to this is actually I have two "teams". I have my old 132 year old club playing every Saturday in Melbourne and I also follow / support an AFL club with Fitzroy connections, in the AFL competition.

I don't see why it has to be one or the other.

Jack Kerr obviously does, to the point where he won't acknowledge the existence of one of those entities.

I'll quote Bill Atherton, the secretary of the Fitzroy Football Club whom some of you may know, in response to Jack Kerr.

"So we are no longer a member of the AFL. So what. The Club still exists in its own right and is now a very proud member of the Victorian Amateur Football Association. We are the only football club in Australia that has been a member of the VFA, VFL, AFL and now the VAFA.

Talk of our demise is an insult to this Club. Just because we were "discharged" from the AFL competition does NOT mean that we are extinct. We are doing something very special; providing a blue ribbon senior competition to the young men of Fitzroy and surrounding districts at our original home ground in Brunswick Street Nth. Fitzroy. Exactly what we were doing in 1884 when we first competed in the VFA. But that apparently is not appreciated in the modern world of "professional sport" and its mad following by the modern media.

Our beloved Club is still in business, but at a level that does more good for her suburb and for those that love their footy at a traditional venue. We would appreciate that recognition in your story.

FITZROY WILL NEVER DIE. She is too proud and too special. "

Bill Atherton 18/6/2011

Last edited:
Smart replay it mate. It's worth it to hear Brownie commentate.

I thought he was decent but probably talked a bit too much during our game. Too much voice time for a special comments role, and I reckon If I wasnt a lions fan I would have been cringeing at some of the stuff he said. I still enjoyed him but reckon he'll get better at his role as time goes on.

I thought he was decent but probably talked a bit too much during our game. Too much voice time for a special comments role, and I reckon If I wasnt a lions fan I would have been cringeing at some of the stuff he said. I still enjoyed him but reckon he'll get better at his role as time goes on.
It's the modern form of TV commentary and I hate it. Turgid analysis, hyperbole, exaggeration and inanity wrapped up as infotainment. I love Browny and think he has made the transition to TV as well as any former player I can remember, but like you I wonder how I would feel if he wasn't Browny. If you analyse it, the number of times the commentators actually inform you in a way that your own eyes can't, is pretty rare. Mainly it's where there's an injury or some other information gleaned from behind the scenes - rarely is there anything on the field that isn't the bleedin' obvious. The expert comments are sometimes very informative, but they have also turned into running commentators. And some are just plain painful.

It's the modern form of TV commentary and I hate it. Turgid analysis, hyperbole, exaggeration and inanity wrapped up as infotainment. I love Browny and think he has made the transition to TV as well as any former player I can remember, but like you I wonder how I would feel if he wasn't Browny. If you analyse it, the number of times the commentators actually inform you in a way that your own eyes can't, is pretty rare. Mainly it's where there's an injury or some other information gleaned from behind the scenes - rarely is there anything on the field that isn't the bleedin' obvious. The expert comments are sometimes very informative, but they have also turned into running commentators. And some are just plain painful.

Yeh, like all Lions fans I enjoyed the insights he was giving into some of our players and he is a hell of a lot better than some of the other blokes around (Cameron 'everyones a superstar' Ling or Matthew 'team such and such arent working hard enough' Richardson are the worst), but I reckon if we were Port fans we'd be commenting about how hard he was barracking for us. It's all good though he is still a part time coach with us so I reckon he can get away with a slight amount of barracking :)

Yeh, like all Lions fans I enjoyed the insights he was giving into some of our players and he is a hell of a lot better than some of the other blokes around (Cameron 'everyones a superstar' Ling or Matthew 'team such and such arent working hard enough' Richardson are the worst), but I reckon if we were Port fans we'd be commenting about how hard he was barracking for us. It's all good though he is still a part time coach with us so I reckon he can get away with a slight amount of barracking :)
Don't forget Luke 'best in the business/love the way he goes about it/get around him' Darcy'

Yeah, there are far more realistic ways for the AFL to try to make up for how they treated Fitzroy and continue to treat Fitzroy supporters (although many of these even seem a long way off).
  • Saying sorry and owning up to how poorly they treated Fitzroy and its supporters
  • Guaranteeing Brisbane plays 6 games a year in Melbourne in perpetuity as per the merger agreement (i.e. ensuring it takes precedence over any other agreements that the AFL and other clubs have since signed)
  • Ensure Brisbane gets a bigger cut of Vic Lions membership revenue to enable our Vic memberships to be sold at a discounts as all Victorian clubs have always done
  • Support the Fitzroy museum at Etihad and potentially one day investing with governments to have it moved to the Brunswick St Oval
  • Financially support Fitzroy in the VAFA, potentially chipping in for any upgrades needed to Brunswick St Oval to allow to be maintained to a proper standard and potentially even to an AFL training standard for the Lions when they play in Melbourne
  • Perhaps eventually even one day financially supporting Fitzroy's return to the VFL

That is a good post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back