Who's the highest paid player to win a premiership?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 10, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
In these days of free agency and ridiculously priced key position forwards, I'm just wondering who has been the highest paid player to win a premiership. My suspicion is that for all of the hype around guys getting a million or more, I can't think of anyone who would have been on more than 600-700K in a year that they won a premiership.

The Judd deal turned out to be a miserable failure. My suspicion is that wherever Danger goes, he'll never win a premiership. And further to that, I reckon his salary will be the reason.

So, can you win a premiership with a single individual taking home close to 10% of the cap? Can you lead a team you only joined for the money?

It's a tricky one because I reckon most players tend to get a payrise the contract after a flag, e.g. Ablett, Selwood, Pendles might not have been on anything over 4-500k when they actually got the flag. I'd guess either Goodes, Mitchell, Hodge, Buddy (2013) or Roughy would be the winner.

Re: your point though free agency and million $ salaries are relatively recent developments. I think within the next 3 years the answer to this question will be someone on 7 figures.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shane Ellen.

119112-shane-ellen.jpg

Excellent point, well made by the OP.

Particularly if you consider the big money movers only. I don't think any really big names that have changed club for a pay rise have gone on to win a flag.

Buddy is still a good chance though.

I suppose all of that implies that you need to build your talent base via the draft, and then trade for the right top-up players like the Hawks did with Hale, Collingwood with Ball or the Cats with Ottens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back