Review AFL Round 8-Geelong defeats Carlton by 77 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Kersto laid a few good tackles and converted his set shots.
Worth his place tonight and next week, I think.
Previous performances were not great, but it would be a tad harsh to drop him after tonight as this was his best match.

The lack of pressure from Carlton gave this game the feeling of a practice match at times, they were utterly directionless.
It all amounted to a bit of a tune-up for the Cats and not much else, with the lead never really threatened at any stage.
The stakes were pretty low, but it gave a few fringe and/or developing players a chance to impress, and some of the senior players were able to cruise through the game without too much exertion.

I’ve gotta put my hand up and say I’ve never really got off the fence with regards to Jed Bews, but he has slowly won me over this year; he has some limitations but knows his role well - his endeavour and defensive nous, combined with a bit of raw pace and mongrel, serves him well.
I think he was mainly opposed to Menzel tonight, who slipped away for 4 goals, but I was really encouraged by Bews’ efforts.

It was a bit of a shame to see Darcy Lang subbed off, I’d rather have seen one of the older players get the red vest - I absolutely love the defensive side to his game, he tackles and harasses with real focus and intent. Obviously not getting a heap of the ball at this early stage of his career, but when he gets it he is generally sharp.
It was good to see Andrew Mackie back.

Jordan Murdoch and Shane Kersten both took small steps towards establishing themselves in the side; Murdoch’s work back of centre has added a string to his bow and he has shown signs of being a slightly more composed player since returning to the side.
Kersten is working out his role in the side; his defensive pressure was good tonight, I reckon he’s added half a yard of pace this year too.

Tom Hawkins has been playing a bit higher than he traditionally does and he has done it really well the past two weeks.

One question; who was that wearing the #20 guernsey tonight?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am a realist, Carlton are the worst team in the afl, not far off witches hats, so you cant take a lot out of the result. And we have a tough month to come and need to win at least 2 of the next 4 if we are realistically to make the 8.

The positive for me however was that Caddy, Blicavs, Guthrie and Stanley, all four in the middle are the ones who need to stand up and improve over the next couple of months we are to win enough games to make the 8 without Duncan out there. And they, along with Rivers and Murdoch, were our best players tonight.
Agree 100% the positive for me is that we did exactly what we were supposed to do. Thump this rabble and we got to the play those youngsters into a bit of touch.

I don't want to sound like Biggy (especially after a big win) but a coaching error IMO was subbing Lang off and leaving Motlop on.

God forbid.

It was a good way of giving Lang a little rest I thought.

A young guy, played every (?) game, he needs a rest sooner or later

Car was not this bad when they landed Gibbs and Kruszer. Which player would you take from their side? Curnow?

You would take Gibbs and Murphy when they are playing well and Henderson and that is about it. Basically the majority of their list wouldn't get a game in any decent side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back