Review AFL Round 8-Geelong defeats Carlton by 77 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Mooney just mirrored those votes on SEN, so good to hear, much deserved. :thumbsu:

Am on the way home from the game now, some mighty annoyed Blue's fans on the train-they want Mick to take Dale Thomas (and half the team!) with him.

Aside from the vote getters above, I thought Stanley played a really great game. I kept a close eye on him tonight, and his work around the ground was impressive. He appears to have gelled nicely with the midfield group.
You know who the guy is that recruited him to St Kilda?
Used to be Wells left hand man. Then went to the Saints, and is now back at Geelong.

He recruited him to be a ruck and 'apparently' said the saints were ruining him by playing him as a back and a forward.
He may prove to be right.

He still doesn't time his jump in my opinion. I like his effort though.

Last edited:

Because we think WCE are gettable and we want them to get a bit of touch before we go over there?

Yes MB , you may be correct ..we may think that... but one out and Kolo in would hardly mean the difference between beating them. Mackie looked like he need a run... so half a game in the AFL ? Why rush a guys back after a serious injury.

Yes MB , you may be correct ..we may think that... but one out and Kolo in would hardly mean the difference between beating them. Mackie looked like he need a run... so half a game in the AFL ? Why rush a guys back after a serious injury.
It was a bit strange and then bring him for Lang.

Is that what a huge, sure win feels like? Why was I so tense the whole night? What's wrong with me? This game is screwing with me.

This performance is kind of base line expectations. Just some of those goals were met with absolutely no resistance. The score line says so much more about Carlton than Geelong, but it was nice to watch either way.

Random thoughts ...
  • Blitz, Cads, Cam, Murds: i don't think all four have all played well in a single game. To have all four bossing it makes so much difference. Keep it up guys!
  • Mack slotted in nicely, better than I would have thought. Nice to see him back.
  • Stevie takes the battle of the Stevens to 2-0. Mots has shaved his mo off though so mad props.
  • Domsy kicking a goal a highlight. Straight through the middle too. :thumbsu:
  • Goal kicking efficiency a huge change! Amazing. Great work team.
  • Hawk makes such a difference. Loved his work in score assists and throwing his weight around, even if he couldn't kick a goal. Getting better at coordinating with MClark and Stanley. I like having a functional forward line.
  • Never thought I'd prefer Wayne Carey over Cameron Ling as a sports commentator, let alone agree with him more. I think Carey's resisting the producer-led Channel 7 political line, which is entertaining. No endorsement (indeed, mostly a condemnation) of his past discretions though.
  • Sorry Troy, I like your brother a lot more. Those 4 goals were excruciating. Bloody small forwards.
  • Those 50m penalties. I take a strange delight out of them when paid to the right team.
  • Kersten improved. Keep him in. Slow but steady.
  • Not quite a training drill, marginally better than a VFL/AFL playoff. Practice match then. Vaguely AFL standards.
  • All of those sharp haircuts have coincided with a sharper focus. Just me?
  • How can we keep the defensive set-up together while having probably too many defenders? I don't want to let any of them go. Thurlow and Bews particularly need game time, and have played incredibly well. Keep 'em in!
  • Is doubling the score of the other side too much of an expectation? #spoilt
  • Cam Guthrie asking Chris Judd for his jumper was a) cool b) genius c) brave d) bit cocky?
Let's see how everyone goes when the other team actually puts up some defensive/offensive pressure. Who knows what may happen. We might actually play well! Will be interesting to see how we go.

NSFB will help you out.
Does that make you feel good does it. Maybe I'll tag you when the Hawks champs retire and Langford reverts to his spuddiness.

Anyway 13 touches in a quarter and a half will be a good for him, brushing off of the cobwebs in preparation for when he'll be required more interstate next weekend.

And I take it you missed my comment after the final team was made that picking him and then using him as sub was bizarre and maybe someone else could of filled that role. I take it you missed that comment huh?

Still not overly disappointed he played nor Kelly. Nothing more than a call made in hindsight. And you know what is funny about this board. Had we picked kolo or Blease and then had a more struggle street performance in all likelihood someone would have whinged about leaving Mackie and/or Kelly out.:drunk:

CFnH8KJVAAIP7xq.jpg

4f71c48ea48de.png

Does that make you feel good does it. Maybe I'll tag you when the Hawks champs retire and Langford reverts to his spuddiness.

Anyway 13 touches in a quarter and a half will be a good for him, brushing off of the cobwebs in preparation for when he'll be required more interstate next weekend.

And I take it you missed my comment after the final team was made that picking him and then using him as sub was bizarre and maybe someone else could of filled that role. I take it you missed that comment huh?

Still not overly disappointed he played nor Kelly. Nothing more than a call made in hindsight. And you know what is funny about this board. Had we picked kolo or Blease and then had a more struggle street performance in all likelihood someone would have whinged about leaving Mackie and/or Kelly out.:drunk:
Hey... turbo asked the question.
I figured you were about the only one qualified to answer it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey... turbo asked the question.
I figured you were about the only one qualified to answer it.
Qualified?!?! wtf are you on about?? I offer an opinion and now I'm qualified, you know that is the premise of a forum like this. Many voices, many opinions:$

Good to see the Cats bury a side- i didn't think it would happen. Having said that Carlton are worse than I thought- awful ! Selwood and Motlop well held, so the win all the more pleasing. Hate to see Hawthorn play the Blues soon , could be a record winning margin and our record score come under threat!! Prefer to play Perth and Qld teams at night because of the heat factor- go get em cats!

• Never thought I'd prefer Wayne Carey over Cameron Ling as a sports commentator, let alone agree with him more. I think Carey's resisting the producer-led Channel 7 political line, which is entertaining. No endorsement (indeed, mostly a condemnation) of his past discretions though.
Agree. Thought Carey's comments throughout the night were balanced. If you didn't know better, you'd guess that he was the Ex-Geelong Premiership Captain.

I think it's the tie. Ever since Linga has worn a tie as a commentator, he's become all 'Tom Harley-ish'.

Carlton...say no more. Eagles will take us apart if we bring that game to them.

Agree. Thought Carey's comments throughout the night were balanced. If you didn't know better, you'd guess that he was the Ex-Geelong Premiership Captain.

I think it's the tie. Ever since Linga has worn a tie as a commentator, he's become all 'Tom Harley-ish'.
What's even more frustrating is that Carey proves you can commentate with balance while also resisting the shite or #bantz Channel 7 love to push on us. It's not hard!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back