NEAFL 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

WOW Sydney Uni beat the Thunder. Not even billybunter saw that coming.

Grimlock,

Saw it coming - Just like you, I just could not bring myself to tip it? I cant understand why they are not winning every game they play, are they not the NSW representative side in reality? Big pool of players to pick from - I am sure if only one non AFL side from Qld was playing in the NEAFL, it would be a lay down misere for the Flag and any future bragging rites.

I do rate the Students from Sydney, now that Big Jed and Austin are in the side (check my earlier posts) - Good off season recruiting by the learned brethren.

Grimlock,

Saw it coming - Just like you, I just could not bring myself to tip it? I cant understand why they are not winning every game they play, are they not the NSW representative side in reality? Big pool of players to pick from - I am sure if only one non AFL side from Qld was playing in the NEAFL, it would be a lay down misere for the Flag and any future bragging rites.

I do rate the Students from Sydney, now that Big Jed and Austin are in the side (check my earlier posts) - Good off season recruiting by the learned brethren.
Aren't the NT Thunder the NT rep side in reality? Swans reserves have never won in the NT, in fact haven't even come close, with much stronger sides than the one we have this year

Aren't the NT Thunder the NT rep side in reality? Swans reserves have never won in the NT, in fact haven't even come close, with much stronger sides than the one we have this year

I think you would find the NT is becoming more a Darwin side the longer they play in the NEAFL as travel becomes to hard for the rest.

I agree with the NSW rep side comment

Watched the GWS vs Lions game today... and geez, haven't GWS got a list of talent... Downie, Hampton, Lamb, Ahern and no 27 or 37, a big tall lad by the name of Phillips, were very impressive.

I was in Canberra so I went to see Aspley v Ainslie. I saw Aspley last year in Sydney and they look better now than the day I saw them then. I like the way Stiller leads them and gets everyone on the same page, I liked Sansbury who seems to have gotten over the knee issue that hampered him when I saw them last, and I just LUV listening to John Blair who must be the AFL coach you'd get in heaven - he waffles away like the prophet guy from Monty Python's Life of Brian but the boys are all paying attention and you can tell that he knows what he's talking about. And they know that he knows what he's talking about.
Ainslie was ok, prob better than when I saw them last year but there is a bit of an issue with getting them to gel. One particular player seemed to be playing his own private match, and not too well at that - I'm betting that he'll be lucky to be in the team next week. Got some issues with team things, and Aspley quickly figured out how to bring out the 'sook' in him. He looks to be a 'special project' for his coach, who put a lot of time into him yesterday.

I've seen Sydney Uni twice, and they are much stronger than last year but, of course, the NEAFL has stepped up too from last year (except Eastlake it seems), so you have to be more than "better" to leapfrog your position from last year.
Sydney Uni now has a special relationship with the AFL in Sydney and the success of the AFL thrust into NSW is linked with their own success. Expect them to become a powerhouse in South-east Australian footy in the years to come. Whether the body is NEAFL or something else that morphs out of what we have now.
Having said that, Grim and BillyB might have seen them rolling the Thunder but I sure didn't...and THAT'S WHY I'm on the bottom of the tipping.

I was in Canberra so I went to see Aspley v Ainslie. I saw Aspley last year in Sydney and they look better now than the day I saw them then. I like the way Stiller leads them and gets everyone on the same page, I liked Sansbury who seems to have gotten over the knee issue that hampered him when I saw them last, and I just LUV listening to John Blair who must be the AFL coach you'd get in heaven - he waffles away like the prophet guy from Monty Python's Life of Brian but the boys are all paying attention and you can tell that he knows what he's talking about. And they know that he knows what he's talking about.
Ainslie was ok, prob better than when I saw them last year but there is a bit of an issue with getting them to gel. One particular player seemed to be playing his own private match, and not too well at that - I'm betting that he'll be lucky to be in the team next week. Got some issues with team things, and Aspley quickly figured out how to bring out the 'sook' in him. He looks to be a 'special project' for his coach, who put a lot of time into him yesterday.

I've seen Sydney Uni twice, and they are much stronger than last year but, of course, the NEAFL has stepped up too from last year (except Eastlake it seems), so you have to be more than "better" to leapfrog your position from last year.
Sydney Uni now has a special relationship with the AFL in Sydney and the success of the AFL thrust into NSW is linked with their own success. Expect them to become a powerhouse in South-east Australian footy in the years to come. Whether the body is NEAFL or something else that morphs out of what we have now.
Having said that, Grim and BillyB might have seen them rolling the Thunder but I sure didn't...and THAT'S WHY I'm on the bottom of the tipping.

Justa,

Having seen the Students just get piped by the Hornets early in the season, then the Thunder lucky to beat the Hornets at home (Hornets kicked 6 1 pointers in the first qrt - which IMO no doubt cost them the game) My conclusion is that on their day the Students are up to the task against all of the current NEAFL sides. Great credit must be given to Sydney Uni as to beat the Thunder on their own dung hill is a great achievement, one can only wonder if their defeat at the same ground last year, got the coaching staff of the Students planning for this win this year?

It is just a real shame that only one non AFL NEAFL side comes out of Sydney and NSW for that matter, our largest state by population and only one team - Maybe the AFL head office should put some more focus/$$$$$ on NSW grass routes Footy, instead of being involved in paying millions to certain blokes to prop up sides that are not worthy of the AFL brand. As you said above Sydney Uni will be a powerhouse in the next few years what ever the competition - I ask is that good for 2nd tier AFL footy? One would have thought the AFL would have been better suited to help prop up the now just removed Hills Eagles side and maybe even another side, if Qld can have 3 sides (and with AFL support possibly 5) then why are we only seeing 1 side out of NSW?????????

Tipping Round 6

Billybunter (4) 22
Grimlock (4) 20
Chikka Ferguson (4) 19
Lifes a Beach1 (4) 19
Dogwarna (3) 18
Stuyd1 (4) 18
2010Premier (4) 18
Pea Nut (3) 17
justabaraker (3) 16

Lots of 4's, not much changed this week.

It is just a real shame that only one non AFL NEAFL side comes out of Sydney and NSW for that matter, our largest state by population and only one team - Maybe the AFL head office should put some more focus/$$$$$ on NSW grass routes Footy, instead of being involved in paying millions to certain blokes to prop up sides that are not worthy of the AFL brand..................... One would have thought the AFL would have been better suited to help prop up the now just removed Hills Eagles side and maybe even another side, if Qld can have 3 sides (and with AFL support possibly 5) then why are we only seeing 1 side out of NSW?????????
BillyB, NSW just doesn't have much interest in AFL, especially not second-tier. It's not to do with money (there are gazillions of dollars washing around here at the moment) but, again, no-one cares much.
The downfall of Hills Eagles wasn't really through lack of money, but more, lack of will and soldier-ants to do all the hard work. And I can assure you that there is no body of people rallying behind the scenes to get a new team into NEAFL.
No chance at all of that.

Qld obviously has a stronger AFL presence and that is why you have three community teams, ACT has strong interest and activity and that's why they have two.

It's all very well for the GWS and Swans to be smokin' in NSW, and that probably gets bums on seats in front of the TV, but I can assure you that there ain't much interest in footy going on here apart from the AFL clubs.
Sydneysiders just don't take an interest in sport, like they do in Melbourne where I come from.

Last edited:
BillyB, NSW just doesn't have much interest in AFL, especially not second-tier. It's not to do with money (there are gazillions of dollars washing around here at the moment) but, again, no-one cares much.
The downfall of Hills Eagles wasn't really through lack of money, but more, lack of will and soldier-ants to do all the hard work. And I can assure you that there is no body of people rallying behind the scenes to get a new team into NEAFL.
No chance at all of that.

Qld obviously has a stronger AFL presence and that is why you have three community teams, ACT has strong interest and activity and that's why they have two.

It's all very well for the GWS and Swans to be smokin' in NSW, and that probably gets bums on seats in front of the TV, but I can assure you that there ain't much interest in footy going on here apart from the AFL clubs.
Sydneysiders just don't take an interest in sport, like they do in Melbourne where I come from.

Justa,

Thanks for enlightening me on the NSW situation, this is a real surprise for me as I just thought that like us, everyone loves AFL and loves to support a local team as well as an AFL team. I would have thought the further north you go the less interest in AFL would be the case, but as you have explained (and very concisely as well) us AFL nuts have got NSW surrounded, so given that the AFL has not really had a big, big push into the burbs of Sydney, by attacking the grass routes side of the game, it all comes down to early education exposure (you win the teachers at the early education age stage, you win the kids as the teachers are the first point of AFL education) with this, there is no reason why NSW cannot change - It has happened in QLD over the early stages of the 90's where since then up till now the numbers starting in the Auskick programme are increasing each year (from all reports) and when this happens a growth occurs in the local junior clubs, moving on to the senior clubs and therefore the interest gains. Anyway currently its NSW's loss in my opinion, they are missing out in the best game in the Country, which is made in Australia played by Australians & and slowly going world wide - Rather than the game played in Heaven - that's not for me yet I hope and a Game were you have to throw the ball backward to go forward WTF.

BB - think you will find that 70-80% of footy people in Qld are ex pats from Vic. Not too many converts from RL up here! Victorians didn't stop at NSW on exiting, just drove straight thru.

Are the coaching staff at the Northern & some other clubs being fair dinkum when it comes to naming best players?

If so, how can a players who have less kicks, handballs, marks and tackles than fingers on one hand, get into the best players, while we all can't get to Most clubs home games each round each week to watch most games play, us punters and supporters of the game would appreciate a bit of honest feed back from those who know better on who played well and who is being promoted for whatever the reason!!!!!!!!!!!.

Before you all get on here and tell me that certain players may not get the notice of the supporters on the day but they get the coaching staff's acknowledgement by being named in the clubs best players for the day, as they worked extremely well to the coaching staff's instruction or they did a good shut down job on a certain player. That's fine but if this the case, please then put them in the MPV votes or this just makes a mockery of what the B&F award was set up for. The best players in the competition to be recognised at seasons end.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BB - think you will find that 70-80% of footy people in Qld are ex pats from Vic. Not too many converts from RL up here! Victorians didn't stop at NSW on exiting, just drove straight thru.

smy1305,
While I have the upmost respected for most of your comments to date, the one above is an jab in the nose to most AFL supporters in QLD especially born and bred ones - certainly IMO lots less than total support that you have stated above being 70-80% - I agree its a great drive to run up the Newell Highway and while we have a few ex-pats from Victoria up here, lots go home because of the beautiful weather, but my experience with most of these guys & girls is that they have a weird fixation for the game they throw the ball backward to go forward, or the so called game played in Heaven. Most hard nose Qld AFL supporters that I have met to date, are home grown true Queenslanders and see the logic in playing and supporting a game that is all Australian institution. Thank you to AFL HQ, for their former and ongoing support to be able to have 3 very competitive Qld sides playing in the current 2nd tier AFL - NEAFL Competition. The non AFL Public in NSW currently that don't follow the grass routes of the game of AFL, don't know what they are missing out on - The game I have found is like a freedom from all things angry.

My tips

GWS
Uni
Sharks
Ainslie
Aspley

Plenty of footy to watch this weekend. Tossing up between watching my beloved Cooly Blues out at Kenmore or out to Redlands v Ainslie, Sunday almost definitely down to Cooke Murphy for Labrador v Morningside

My tips

GWS
Uni
Sharks
Ainslie
Aspley

Plenty of footy to watch this weekend. Tossing up between watching my beloved Cooly Blues out at Kenmore or out to Redlands v Ainslie, Sunday almost definitely down to Cooke Murphy for Labrador v Morningside

Great to have you back in the land of AFL Doggy Boy, no excuses about the Sun /s in Your Gold Coast eye/s while travelling on Route 66 this weekend - The pressure is on your tipping after finally existing the USA!!!!!! Go the Coast Dog this week. I think you should take the Bride out for lunch on Sunday instead of going too the game you mentioned above, as the Northern Gold Coast , being the humble Labrador side might give DL and the Morningside fortress a reality check before the combined Melbourne Central amalgamation side, bring Havoc to Qld Footy in the bye round, as we have never know or seen it before. Question is, have the Morten Bay Sports complex staff got enough scoreboard number's to post the final score in this game????????

Last edited:
Great to have you back in the land of AFL Doggy Boy, no excuses about the Sun /s in Your Gold Coast eye/s while travelling on Route 66 this weekend - The pressure is on your tipping after finally existing the USA!!!!!! Go the Coast Dog this week. I think you should take the Bride out for lunch on Sunday instead of going too the game you mentioned above, as the Northern Gold Coast , being the humble Labrador side might give DL and the Morningside fortress a reality check before the combined Melbourne Central amalgamation side, bring Havoc to Qld Footy in the bye round, as we have never know or seen it before. Question is, have the Morten Bay Sports complex staff got enough scoreboard number's to post the final score in this game????????

Well as the bride now works most weekends I get to watch plenty of footy dragging my 2 rats along with me. I ended up watching redlands v ainslie which turned out to be a ripper. Ainslie are a massive outfit not just in height but it was like watching a bush footy team back in the 80's, they are thick set and most can move pretty well, have a real balanced team. There fwds Salter, Bennett are the keys, but I thought Redlands raw young backline battled manfully under duress. This was a bare bones Redlands outfit pretty much having to play what's left on there list. For this reason, lack of experience, they let Ainslie load up behind the ball to save the game late in last and I thought Redlands needed to play even numbers. Sam Michael was the only one who was likely to mark the ball yet when they pumped it fwd he had +2 jumping all over him, to SM's credit as he usually is was heroic and did take a couple of marks in amongst the carnage but it was just to late for the baby bombers to get over the line.

Lab v Panthers today, it won't define each other seasons win or lose but to have the best 2 teams playing Sunday on the coast, it should be a ripper, only downfall is the ridiculous decision to play surfers v broadbeach at the same time on the same day, nothing against them but more to do with schedule

Well as the bride now works most weekends I get to watch plenty of footy dragging my 2 rats along with me. I ended up watching redlands v ainslie which turned out to be a ripper. Ainslie are a massive outfit not just in height but it was like watching a bush footy team back in the 80's, they are thick set and most can move pretty well, have a real balanced team. There fwds Salter, Bennett are the keys, but I thought Redlands raw young backline battled manfully under duress. This was a bare bones Redlands outfit pretty much having to play what's left on there list. For this reason, lack of experience, they let Ainslie load up behind the ball to save the game late in last and I thought Redlands needed to play even numbers. Sam Michael was the only one who was likely to mark the ball yet when they pumped it fwd he had +2 jumping all over him, to SM's credit as he usually is was heroic and did take a couple of marks in amongst the carnage but it was just to late for the baby bombers to get over the line.

Lab v Panthers today, it won't define each other seasons win or lose but to have the best 2 teams playing Sunday on the coast, it should be a ripper, only downfall is the ridiculous decision to play surfers v broadbeach at the same time on the same day, nothing against them but more to do with schedule

Dogwarna,

Great report on the game in the Bay yesterday - This opens up the Competition with the two out of the three Southern sides coming of age as it were with good wins against quality opposition's, next week's Hornets V Bombers clash will be a ripper with a few losses to the Hornets side that I have heard of due to one of the Hornets legend's getting married in Italy - That's Italy in Europe not Italy in the Valley, as mentioned in a post or two from yours truly last season - So watch this space for some quality players missing from the Hornet's NEAFL and QAFL (2) sides for the next couple of weeks.

As thought the boys from Labrador slipped in the win of the ages ( in the last few years anyway) for the Competition in the QAFL today, DL and his coaching panel will be soul searching their/his charges this week after as you put it IYO, not a season defining loss, but IMO certainly a soul destroying wake up call and things wont get much better for him as Qld Coach on Queens Birthday Weekend, when his Coaching skills will be well and truly tested against the might of the combined Melbourne Metro Competition - If he wins this one, then he will become of age in Coaching circles here in Qld!!!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back