Review AFL Round 8-Geelong defeats Carlton by 77 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved the Blues fans booing Johnson after his very legal bump on Murphy
That was a fantastic hit live anyway.... you could hear the smack it made from where I was sitting on level 3.

I have been critical for both Stokes and Caddy, glad tonight they showed the improvment we really need out of them, happy for Murda with 4 goals if he can back that in with consistency even half that will be great just need Billy and Nakia when they come in to show same improvement, big game next week hope they all back up again

Easy as win in the end.

Murdoch played his best game for the club, good to see, he had so much potential.
What really impressed me about Murdoch is that he didn't just play the sort of game where he was quiet for two or three quarters, then had a bit of a purple patch where he snagged three goals and then went quiet again. It was a four-quarter game where he was involved from start to finish, and managed to find a bit of space further up the ground, too. He was genuinely very influential, I haven't said that about him before really.

Opposition woeful. Made us look better than we were because we got away with a lot of risky stuff. However...

Murdoch - aside from goals and stats, took several marks running with the flight of the ball that we wouldn't normally expect him too
Stokes - was very good all game.
Caddy - very good at stoppages. Obviously ready BF (why wouldn't he)
Blicavs - .........
Interesting that Carlton put a bit of time into Gregson
Kersten - great work-rate without reward
Selwood - needs protection because he's not the sacred cow the rest of the AFL think he is

hope Walker and Kolodjashnij get to play next week. Maybe rest Clark and Rivers.
Clark was pretty quiet last night, still managed to boot 3 goals but I'm sure had Walker been given another opportunity, he would have got on the scoreboard a few times himself, and it's all about the future yeh :)
I can't see them making any unforced changed for the Eggs with the 8 day break they may consider a giving some one a spell the following week.

hope Walker and Kolodjashnij get to play next week. Maybe rest Clark and Rivers.
Clark was pretty quiet last night, still managed to boot 3 goals but I'm sure had Walker been given another opportunity, he would have got on the scoreboard a few times himself, and it's all about the future yeh :)
Not to stir up the debate, but surely tonight was the game to make those changes... I reckon we need our strongest team next week for what will be a very testing game.

At the game, I was fascinated by how dead the crowd was. Usually Carlton fans chant "Ball!" and bronx cheer the umpires "finally" giving them a free but tonight they were completely quiet and resigned. I went to the game with my sister who barracks for Carlton and she spent most of the night barracking for Geelong instead, such is the ambivalence the Blues have created among their fanbase. They seriously need to course-correct quickly or they'll be losing fans in droves. They were insipid tonight - constantly making gobsmacking errors that had me either laughing out loud or shaking my head in befuddlement.

As for us, we did what needed to be done. We still suffered some customary lapses where we looked like a wooden spooner but at least when we weren't lapsing we were kicking goals. Great to see Murdoch play a good game after I'd become genuinely concerned he was Kane Tenace 2.0. Now to see if he can back it up against real opposition.

Blicavs is fast becoming a force. A mate of mine dubbed him Brownlow Boy last year and he may be onto something as Blitz is improving at an astronomical rate and could be a star by year's end.

Nice that Caddy and Guthrie stepped up and played good games. Thurlow continues to impress and I'm a big fan of Jed Bews, who seems to be relishing the opportunity to attack a little more.

Kelly, Stokes and Johnno went well. Mackie got a run, which was what he needed. Rivers continues to be our best defender, despite some continually calling for him to be dropped so Kolo can get games. I know Lonergan and Harry are "true" Geelong players and Jared came from another club but his last year and a third have been immense for us. A great pick up.

All in all, a handy game. Hopefully a decent tune up for a big challenge next week. I don't think West Coast are beyond us if we play in the right spirit and limit our lapses. Bring it on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blicavs is fast becoming a force. A mate of mine dubbed him Brownlow Boy last year and he may be onto something as Blitz is improving at an astronomical rate and could be a star by year's end.

As Priddis shows you just need to chug along. Stranger things have happened.

Carltons skill level is so poor there are times at the game tonight I am convinced we didn't try to tackle them instead just putting on a bit of pressure knowing they would turn the ball over and give it back to us.

Is that what a huge, sure win feels like? Why was I so tense the whole night? What's wrong with me? This game is screwing with me.

Nothing wrong with you. We played average. Kicked very well for goal but there wasn't much else that was elite about how we played. Not terrible either but not great. Better sides would not have let us get away with a fair bit of our play but Carlton are just unthinkably horrible. They were 'Melbourne 186' level bad tonight far as effort, spirit and output.

At the game, I was fascinated by how dead the crowd was. Usually Carlton fans chant "Ball!" and bronx cheer the umpires "finally" giving them a free but tonight they were completely quiet and resigned. I went to the game with my sister who barracks for Carlton and she spent most of the night barracking for Geelong instead, such is the ambivalence the Blues have created among their fanbase. They seriously need to course-correct quickly or they'll be losing fans in droves. They were insipid tonight - constantly making gobsmacking errors that had me either laughing out loud or shaking my head in befuddlement.

As for us, we did what needed to be done. We still suffered some customary lapses where we looked like a wooden spooner but at least when we weren't lapsing we were kicking goals. Great to see Murdoch play a good game after I'd become genuinely concerned he was Kane Tenace 2.0. Now to see if he can back it up against real opposition.

Nice that Caddy and Guthrie stepped up and played good games. Thurlow continues to impress and I'm a big fan of Jed Bews, who seems to be relishing the opportunity to attack a little more.

Kelly, Stokes and Johnno went well. Mackie got a run, which was what he needed. Rivers continues to be our best defender, despite some continually calling for him to be dropped so Kolo can get games. I know Lonergan and Harry are "true" Geelong players and Jared came from another club but his last year and a third have been immense for us. A great pick up.

All in all, a handy game. Hopefully a decent tune up for a big challenge next week. I don't think West Coast are beyond us if we play in the right spirit and limit our lapses. Bring it on.

Their cheer squad did start a "Selwood's a w***er" chant, and a few of their supporters I could hear saying "you're weak Selwood and a dog".

Also they seemed to be pretty unhappy with the umps from where I was tonight at the game, they were quiet but we're still getting pissed off.

do you think it's more about the cattle on the field or the way they have been programmed and trained during this last 5 year period, wherein their club has hit rock bottom?
Probably a bit of both mate. Blokes like Tutt and Jones couldn't get a game at the dogs last year when they were average so they aren't going to help, but its bloody average from Murphy/Gibbs etc
Apart from Simpson and Menzel they were just awful.

Carltons skill level is so poor there are times at the game tonight I am convinced we didn't try to tackle them instead just putting on a bit of pressure knowing they would turn the ball over and give it back to us.
There's a lot wrong with that club. We had more of the ball and still out tackled them by 20. They had 35 tackles for the whole game. That's pathetic tbh.

Probably a bit of both mate. Blokes like Tutt and Jones couldn't get a game at the dogs last year when they were average so they aren't going to help, but its bloody average from Murphy/Gibbs etc

there's really not much there is there. I mean you look at our kids, and sure, we pump them up given they're our own but watching Gregson, Lang, Thurlow and Bews start to impact matches after just 10, 15 games and then looking at some of their youngsters, the gap in apparent talent is very noticeable when really it shouldn't be, as only Lang + Thurlow are first round draft picks.

Their cheer squad did start a "Selwood's a ******" chant, and a few of their supporters I could hear saying "you're weak Selwood and a dog".

Also they seemed to be pretty unhappy with the umps from where I was tonight at the game, they were quiet but we're still getting pissed off.

Oh, I'm sure there were still Carlton fans acting as Carlton fans do - they just weren't as vociferous as usual. This may have been the first Carlton game I've ever attended where they haven't bronx cheered "finally" receiving a free. More than any other fanbase I've encountered, they seem to routinely believe they are being robbed by the umpires, even when the exact reverse is occuring. I'd hate them completely if my sister and one of my best mates didn't follow them. As it stands now I can just happily laugh at their ineptitude.

Even Menzel had something like ~37% DE. Whoever was their recruiter should be shot not that that includes Menzel per say but how can you get not one not two but three number 1 picks less than a decade ago and still be the worst list is staggering.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back